-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What are the advantages of using a 26" or a 28" shotgun barrel? How is performance affected in using upland loads, turkey loads & Buckshot?

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Essentially there isn't any difference--in ballistics. As far as shotgun balance there's a little. Some shooters do better with a 28" due to more weigh out front, helping a smooth swing, but this depends on the shooter and the shotgun.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
^ what he said. Myself I prefer to be longer than 28 for that very reason. I like the weight out front, helps me with follow through and I stay on line better.

YMMV

Me

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The longer the barrel the less visual lead is required in front of the intended target.

That's why almost all O/U seen on skeet fields these days are 30".

Doc

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
The longer the barrel the less visual lead is required in front of the intended target.

Doc

Can't agree here. The perception is the same for me and my guns. When I use a swing through technique (virtually all of my hunting), I find that the shorter barrels move faster to the target and as a result I need to see less lead with them on hard crossing targets than I do with longer barrels. The short barrels start moving faster (and stop moving faster too) than longer tubes.

The reason for popularity of longer barrels at the target games in general, not just skeet, is handling dynamics that are a combination of balance, moment of inertia, fit, etc. The longer barrels, in general and all else being equal, are easier to keep moving than shorter barrels. This makes it more difficult to commit a primary sin of wingshooting - stopping one's gun.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by GF1

Doc

Can't agree here. The perception is the same for me and my guns. When I use a swing through technique (virtually all of my hunting), I find that the shorter barrels move faster to the target and as a result I need to see less lead with them on hard crossing targets than I do with longer barrels. The short barrels start moving faster (and stop moving faster too) than longer tubes.

The reason for popularity of longer barrels at the target games in general, not just skeet, is handling dynamics that are a combination of balance, moment of inertia, fit, etc. The longer barrels, in general and all else being equal, are easier to keep moving than shorter barrels. This makes it more difficult to commit a primary sin of wingshooting - stopping one's gun.

+ 1 Big time! Lead is lead and it has absolutely nothing to do with barrel length. Either you are a "swing through" shooter where you essentially pull the trigger as you pass through the target as you accelerate your barrels at the same time to generate the required lead. Or you shoot sustained lead, where you always keep the barrel if front of the target and match the angular velocity of the barrels to the speed of the target then pull the trigger. Either way works, sustained has higher probability of success. Neither has anything to do with barrel length. However depending on your style a longer barrel (sustained lead) or a shorter barrel (swing through) may feel better to you. I prefer a 28" barrel on all o/u or sxs guns and a 26" bbl on autos for ALL upland hunting coast to coast, and add 2" to those measurements for target or waterfowl guns.

And perhaps more to the original OPs question - there is no effective ballistic difference between 26 and 28" shotgun barrels.

"Do you want it "Right", or "Right now"? - always a good question.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
my auto has a 26 inch barrel. Fits well, and swings well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In a semi-auto or pump, a Benelli Montefeltro 12 gauge at 26" and an old 12 gauge Ithaca M37 at 28", win for me. In my SxS's, whether 20, 16 or 12 gauge and properly proportioned, a 28" or its metric "equivalent", minimum, wins. Has nothing to do with ballistics though, only one of balance. All but the Benelli are fixed choked guns though most of the rest opened some from factory.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I like the 24" on my Benelli Montefeltro. I like the quickness of the shorter barrel and easy easier to move around in a duck blind.

Last edited by Cruiser1; 12/23/11.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Have to agree with Mule Deer "As far as shotgun balance there's a little. Some shooters do better with a 28" due to more weigh out front, helping a smooth swing, but this depends on the shooter and the shotgun."

If you go with a shorter barrel, you can change the balance somewhat with the different screw in chokes. Look around some can be had that are longer and heavier. Some chokes, like "Pure Gold" brand can be more than 2" long.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Essentially there isn't any difference--in ballistics. As far as shotgun balance there's a little. Some shooters do better with a 28" due to more weigh out front, helping a smooth swing, but this depends on the shooter and the shotgun.

This guy really knows his stuff.....yup...it's all personal preference.

When I was asked why my shotguns all have 26" barrels I replied "Because they were not available in 24".....but then I discovered the Bineli ultralight 20 Ga in 24"....so I had to have one.....love it!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IIRC it was Remington engineers (a few years ago) that said there was no performance gains with barrels in excess of 21" if that helps you

BTW...I know trap shooters that demand a 32" barrel....OK...it's their money.....some folks just feel better with the long tube.

Years ago Marlin made a "goose gun".....a 12 Ga bolt gun with a 36" barrel....It's actual increase in range over a 26" barrel was.....drum roll.....yup, you guessed it.....11 inches

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to be a 28" guy. Then I got a Benelli in 24" and it really fit my style. The 28" may be nice for shots where you get a good long swing like skeet etc...but I was duck hunting with some quick shots and the 24" was just the ticket. I have a 28" for the same gun and never use it. I didn't think it would make that big of a difference but it did.

Otto is my co-pilot.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have 28 gauge SXS guns with 27 and 30 inch barrels, a 20 gauge OU with metric 26 inch, 20 gauge SXS with 29 inch, two 16s (pump and auto) with 28 inch barrels, and 12 gauge SXS metric 26, Auto 24 inch and OU 30 inch. They all work.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Salmotrutta
Originally Posted by GF1

Doc

+ 1 Big time! Lead is lead and it has absolutely nothing to do with barrel length. Either you are a "swing through" shooter where you essentially pull the trigger as you pass through the target as you accelerate your barrels at the same time to generate the required lead. Or you shoot sustained lead, where you always keep the barrel if front of the target and match the angular velocity of the barrels to the speed of the target then pull the trigger. Either way works, sustained has higher probability of success. Neither has anything to do with barrel length. However depending on your style a longer barrel (sustained lead) or a shorter barrel (swing through) may feel better to you. I prefer a 28" barrel on all o/u or sxs guns and a 26" bbl on autos for ALL upland hunting coast to coast, and add 2" to those measurements for target or waterfowl guns.

And perhaps more to the original OPs question - there is no effective ballistic difference between 26 and 28" shotgun barrels.

Guys, I was making reference to the clay target sports. Almost all the O/U's
seen on the clay fields here in the east are 30" in skeet, 5 stand and 32" inches and longer in Trap. I see the Beretta 391 shooters using 30" barrels in sporting clays which I find overly long. My own 390 gold sports a 28" which I find adequate in skeet, 5 stand and sporting clays.

My own bird guns are 26" in 12 and 20.

Doc

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
For most shooters, a longer barrel will help you hit more targets because the added weight out front will keep the barrel moving through the target, while shorter barrels will stop faster if you take you focus off the target. With stationary targets, like a turkey's head, shorter barrels might be favored for compactness.
Ballistically there is no difference.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 12/24/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,084
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.