Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yep - but it's almost cheaper to find a used 85 and rebarrel it to 9.3x62. They didn't import those beyond a few special orders.

BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wonder if the steel used in a Sako barrel takes a re-bore? If so, that may be a good route with a used Sako on a budget. But doesn't need to be a 9.3x62 to be a great rifle, I was just pointing out how I'm liking the Recknagel sights and the new ringmounts added to a Finnlight package. I'm using scopes with forgiving ring spacing and generous eye relief, so the compact stand-up ringmount fits well without any need for off-set. I also like how the Sako dovetail system is machined for windage adjustment at the front mount. I have room to move the front mount forward or rearward, which moves the point of impact left or right in a calibrated degree so that I can keep my turret centered in its range of adjustment.

I'm also liking the S&B turret which is well marked having an indicator for adjustment travel within its range.

[Linked Image]

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by highridge1
What's wrong with Leupolds ring for sako's ? They seem fine to me.With the design of the taper of the groove, the ring can only get tighter.
Under recoil I agree but if the scope takes a wrap from the front it could pop right off, this system doesn't seem very secure in my eyes. The reason I don't like the Leupold ringmounts is a little experiment I made with them several years ago, I mounted these rings on a Sako mod 75 with a 1" dowel instead of a real scope to test for frontal impact as I had my doubts about this system, I tightened the clamp on rings to 40 inch pounds of torque and it only took one decent wrap from a 16 oz hammer too the front of the dowel and they flew right off, this was an experiment I came up with to see how the system would react to a hit from the front, as I said in an earlier post I never had any trouble at the range or in the field with the Sako or the Talley base ring set up but I also never tried this same experiment with ether of these, I only did it the one time as I was afraid of scratching the receiver of my rifle, I don't think one decent wrap to the front of a dowel mounted in screw on ringmounts would have any effect though I have never tried...............Hb

The scope would be F'd so the mounting system is a moot point.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Your probably right in the case of a hammer blow like my little experiment laugh............Hb

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Currently my favorite version of the Finnlight, the new Black Bear. Basically a black Finnlight chambered in 9.3x62 with Recknagel Sights and barrel band swivel mount, weighs 6 1/2 pounds.

[Linked Image]

Darn it GaryVA, Now I have to find one of these smile

Ted
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
To answer the question, keep it!

The Sako 85 Finnlight 30-06 is a sweet rifle.

Ted
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Furprick
...The dove tails are cut in one operation and are parallel to each other...

Sorry, but the dovetails are not parallel to each other

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Can't the ring mounts simply be clamped down with enough tightness to hold? What about cranking on the screwdriver a little tighter?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it works as well as mine does I doubt you will want to get rid of it.

Jim

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Frankly you should sell it to learn a lesson, that indeed you don't know what you have.

Sell it for a donor action for around a grand, then the guy who buys it can post some teeny tiny groups and lots of dead game .

Questions?

Last edited by Spotshooter; 12/25/11.
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Can't the ring mounts simply be clamped down with enough tightness to hold? What about cranking on the screwdriver a little tighter?
I only tried this one time with 40 inch pounds of torque applied to the ringmounts,as I didn't want to scratch the receiver of My rifle, I did have a horrified buddy that observed my experiment go home and tighten his Lepold ringmounts so tight that he snapped one of the screw heads off, I don't know how much pressure he used but it must have been quite a lot. I think that my little experiment exposed the leupold Sako ringmount is an inferior system and I think it also exposed the inherent weakness of the Sako scope mounting system overall, If Sako wants an integral mounting system machined right into the receiver I think they could have taken a lesson from Ruger and designed a similar type bomb proof system then in my opinion they would have nearly a perfect rifle....................Hb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A couple years ago I mounted a set of Optilocks(minus scope) on my 85. I'd read about the stories of them popping loose so I had to test.

Took a piece of 1" or so wooden dowel about 16" long and beat on the Opti's. They didn't budge.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wholly crap dudes I was kidding , just saw you posted it in the free classified.

Well you'll learn either way

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Excellent Sam that's some good information, I'm glad someone else has done a similar test to mine, it sounds like the Optilocks are pretty solid................Hb

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gave it some thought ,but put it in the classifieds. If I keep it ,I have to buy another scope !! Scope after scope after scope where does it end?!?! If I don't sell it I won't be heart broke..

1 and done
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It ain't a cheap sport, I understand and have been there myself.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I too know the pain this man feels all too well! I don't think there is an end for a rifle looney unless it would be death...................Hb

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
447 members (160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 48 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.