Hop To
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Brad
The R93 Blaser... as I said, over-engineered answer to a question no one was asking.

Things that have worked for a century do so for a reason.

Brad

Based on the KIS principle, my last 3 rifles I have bought should have worked -and they dont. First of all I had a new Extreme Weather M70 in 308. It never shot well for me and that was after a very expensive bedding job & crown job.

Then I bought a MK5 Outfitter - a very expensive rifle here in Australia. That does not shoot anything like a consistent group and I am still battling with the local importers here to take the rifle back.

Then I bought a Hwakeye African Safari in 9.3x62. Initially it looked real promising - for the first 6 or so shots - then it started misfiring. I took a quick look at the bolt & firing pin spring, cleaned them up and tried again with the same results. By the way I had my R8 in the same caliber on hand to prove that all the rounds that misfired in the Ruger would shoot - every one of them had no problems in the Blaser - and that was both Lapua and RWS brass.

So that rifle is back at the importers too - suspect a weak firng pin.....

In the mean time my overcomplicated Blaser keeps shooting .5" groups reliably day in and day out - and thats from 2 different barrels! And no problems thus far! cool

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by corjack
I really have a hard time hunting with such an ugly rifle, but I force myself.
This is the one that shoots the one hole groups with great regularity.

[Linked Image]

Yuck,

What's that brown squigly stuff all over the wood of your otherwise fine looking shooting iron?

Anyone know how I can keep whatever infected that gun from messing up my guns?

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 12/27/11.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by thechamp
Originally Posted by 340Wby
A friend of mine has that Sauer on order(30-06 & 308Win).
I shouldered one a few years back....it was light n very trim. Sweet rigs those 202's, especially the alloy action type. My old Hardwood steel action was a club when scope & mounts were fitted, but ideal using with just OS.....Another compromise I guess wink

You are dead on in that lightweight alloy 202 was about as sweet a rifle as I've ever held in my hand. I had them in 22-250, 25-06, two 243s, and two 270 Winchesters. Wound up keeping the 270 that I bought new and it's still the lightest rifle in the safe. And as much as I like my Blasers I think the 202 is the best looking conventional rifle. My R93 Blaser 270 Wby is also light and for a magnum is really about as light as I'd want one.

Which model 202 did your buddy order? They have quite a variety now to choose from.

Highland

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mlg
Originally Posted by Brad
The R93 Blaser... as I said, over-engineered answer to a question no one was asking.

Things that have worked for a century do so for a reason.

Brad

Based on the KIS principle, my last 3 rifles I have bought should have worked -and they dont. First of all I had a new Extreme Weather M70 in 308. It never shot well for me and that was after a very expensive bedding job & crown job.

Then I bought a MK5 Outfitter - a very expensive rifle here in Australia. That does not shoot anything like a consistent group and I am still battling with the local importers here to take the rifle back.

Then I bought a Hwakeye African Safari in 9.3x62. Initially it looked real promising - for the first 6 or so shots - then it started misfiring. I took a quick look at the bolt & firing pin spring, cleaned them up and tried again with the same results. By the way I had my R8 in the same caliber on hand to prove that all the rounds that misfired in the Ruger would shoot - every one of them had no problems in the Blaser - and that was both Lapua and RWS brass.

So that rifle is back at the importers too - suspect a weak firng pin.....

In the mean time my overcomplicated Blaser keeps shooting .5" groups reliably day in and day out - and thats from 2 different barrels! And no problems thus far! cool

This does not surprise me with the 3 mentioned.

A friend of mine had a major issue with his Ruger Mark 2, which saw it firing every time the safety was moved from full safe to fire shocked . It was due to the wood underneath swelling & putting pressure on the trigger or safety, something like that.....
So I take that back, with Rugers being KIS & ultra reliable. Rather have my KIS Zastava M70 after owning one wink

Never has my Blaser R93 or R8 let me down. And I did hunt hard with that R93 too!.....The R8 is still new to me but I cannot see any issues, but time will tell.....

Last edited by 340Wby; 12/28/11. Reason: another typo :)

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
But after 2 seasons my R93 Pro trigger did become a tad raspy(not as slick it once was when new). Dust/fine-grit did manage it's way in there... But never did it ever fail.
I think the R8 trigger is even better/less complicated?

Last edited by 340Wby; 12/28/11. Reason: typo. dooh

IC B2

Dom Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I posted. And now I see they even come with PLASTIC SIGHTS??? wow, their profit margin must be astronomical...

Personally I don't see all this fascination over the plastic trigger guard or sights, must be an "Ami thingee" tired

I did not even notice that until somebody said something and I had to find a magnet to prove to myself that it was in fact a type of plastic. From looking or feeling you cannot tell. Why not a big ruckus over "plastic" stocks? Hmmm, come to think of it, in the old days the dashboard in a real truck was made of steel. Guess there are no more real trucks nowadays either.

That and this cost thingy all the time, nobody wants to answer what a Blaser with 3 barrels vs. Four separate customs would compare in total costwise grin

Pretty much personal choice, glad everybody don't like them or they'd be buying up all the barrels and parts!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I don't like the Blaser.

To me its the highest priced really homely rifle.

[Linked Image]

Right up there with Glock when it comes to beauty!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The trigger-guard looks like light alloy(feels cold) to me, as does the bottom of the mag. The trigger is 100% polymer but those other bits.....hmmmm not so sure about these being plastic lads?

Maybe a graphite polymer combo. Whatever it is it looks schmick. Blaser have done their research here....

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Most of the guys that I know, that feel Blasers are ugly, seem to be married to fairly unatractive women. Evidently their taste in women has them calling everything ugly, in a feeble attempt, to justify, the blah view, they wake up with in the morning.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Most of the guys that I know, that feel Blasers are ugly, seem to be married to fairly unatractive women. Evidently their taste in women has them calling everything ugly, in a feeble attempt, to justify, the blah view, they wake up with in the morning.

[Linked Image]

methinks Blaser owners doth protest too much. Keep trying to justify your FUGLY, over-engineered, expensive, plastic gizmo of a rifle with idiotic remarks like those. And we are supposed to be the ones needing to "get a life"?

I'll be at the Dallas Safari Club convention next week and I'll pose the question on the Blaser at the Professional Hunter's symposium and see what they think. The question of course is purely rhetorical. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I will be there too, PM me for details, and I will buy you a drink.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I will be there too, PM me for details, and I will buy you a drink.

You're an insulting jackazz one second, then you're buying drinks?

Too funny...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ya'll can have mine..the rifle that is.

I will take the drink though.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It is nice wood on those rifles. Is it solid or a laminate over plain wood?

Long

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I completely disagree.

I just believe on man's trash is another's treasure.
Taste and opinions vary.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
HAA(laughin)

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
IMO every rifle is just a meat gather! And no rifle in my safe means any more........ Plus, these Blasers are just a phase to tide me over until my Hartmann & Weiss gets here. lol(laughinloud) wink

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Who here is running the RAIL system. Tell me that isn't the neatest/slickest mount going.

2x Swaro AV 3-10x42(4A) here.
I was going to get a Z6 but it's another 100 odd grams more weight.... wink
Would like a 1-4 of some sort. Might have to go rings & get that new Leupy VXR pig plex. Looks businesslike to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI

[Linked Image]

methinks Blaser owners doth protest too much. Keep trying to justify your FUGLY, over-engineered, expensive, plastic gizmo of a rifle with idiotic remarks like those. And we are supposed to be the ones needing to "get a life"?

I'll be at the Dallas Safari Club convention next week and I'll pose the question on the Blaser at the Professional Hunter's symposium and see what they think. The question of course is purely rhetorical. jorge

jorge,

Point indeed very well made! That is one very beautiful lady. Yours, I take it.

I too am blessed in this department. But I am not going to post a picture to prove it. You just have to take my word for it. All I will say that my wife is an excellent shot and successful huntress, along with being beautiful. grin

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hi Terry,

Not as nice as a Blaser (lol), not made by Hartmann & Weiss, not even by a German but...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you like it call me shocked

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 41 invisible), 2,072 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.