Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Now go run through all the other possible combinations using pressure-tested data, not QuickLoad calculations and if they all come out the same I'll happily concede your point.

I ain't your biatch. And why should I have to back up my data with real-world experience if you never do? However, my data and actual real-world experience gives MUCH more proof that your hypothesis is wrong than your guessing and lack of experience proves it's right.

Congratulations?

ETA: I don't spend much time at the range any more. I usually try to chrono a load and will shoot a 3 or 5 shot group and call it good (if it's good). Most of my time now is spent shooting and hunting at the lease or private land, NOT shooting from a bench over a chrono. However, those loads that I have chrono'd are very close to the data that Quickload spits out, especially if the case volume is measured and entered into the program.

Last edited by 257heaven; 12/27/11.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bricktop

Don't have to resort to anything. I merely point out the obvious -- your use of metrosexual terms, your reliance on data developed and acquired by others vice your own, your repeated dickhead tales told on yourself (hunting with an empty chamber and justification thereof), your own admission that you've never hunted whitetail deer, your own admission that you don't have any experience with any of the .25 caliber rounds on which you've chosen to pontificate your horseshit ramblings, your reliance on guided hunts, etc. I could go on, but I think the point is obvious: YOU'RE JUST A F*CKING DUDE "HUNTER." In your mind, if you read it somewhere, then you've experienced it.

Just to set the record straight�

metrosexual terms� � no sure which ones you are talking about and don�t give a hoot, either. Having been happily married to the same woman for 30 years and having raised 3 wonderful daughters, I�m quite comfortable with my sexuality. The fact that you bring it up makes me wonder about you, however.

reliance on data developed and acquired by others� -- By that you mean independently published, pressure tested data provided by various manufacturers and SAMMI standards. Totally unreliable, I agree. (Not.)

hunting with an empty chamber� -- Yup, guilty as charged. My most common form of carry, even with my CCW firearms. Carried my Kimber .45 with an empty chamber most of the day today, never did rack one into the chamber.

never hunted whitetail deer� -- Again, guilty as charged. I hunt mulies instead and have been doing so since 1982. Haven�t killed one in about 7 weeks now. Elk hunting takes priority, though, and deer are more targets of opportunity until the elk are down. I hunt antelope, too, but only got started on them about 9 years ago and didn�t start hunting them regularly until I started going to Wyoming for them later on.

your own admission that you don't have any experience with any of the .25 caliber rounds� -- I guess my .257 Roberts doesn�t count? But no, I�ve never owned or loaded for a short-action Roberts or a .25-06.

your reliance on guided hunts� -- That is certainly news to me as I am, and have always been, primarily a self-guided, public land hunter. Since 1982 I�ve had two hunts that I would consider fully �guided�, both on Colorado �Ranching For Wildlife� properties where I paid the normal resident license fees and the guides were mandatory and provided free by the ranch � one for elk, the other for antelope. On both occasions I would gladly have gone it alone if allowed to do so. In addition I�ve twice hunted elk on another RFW ranch where you pick out the part of the ranch you want to hunt, the ranch hands �guide� you into the area and describe the property boundaries, then leave � after which you are on your own to find the elk and get them out. I�ve also paid modest trespass fees to hunt private land on three occasions. On the first, for deer, my hunting buddy and I were completely on our own the whole time and I took a buck mule deer. The second time my right hip was so jacked up I could barely walk, which was why I was paying for easier access to good land. The rancher showed me the land the first evening. The rest of that �hunt� consisted of driving in on my own and parking, then sitting in or by the truck while reading, snoozing and watching for elk. Went home empty handed on that trip, having previously turned down several easy shots at elk on public land so that my son-in-law would have an opportunity to take his first. (He never fired even though the shot opportunities were 200 yards and less. Buck fever maybe, I don�t know.) The last time I paid a trespass fee was on another deer hunt. The rancher accompanied me and while we both had a good time discussing the ranching business for the short time we were together, the deer were plentiful and his presence made no difference in the final outcome one way or the other. In any case, the number of my self-guided hunts far exceeds anything that could be considered �guided� and the times I�ve �guided� new hunters to their first game outnumbers the times I�ve been �guided� regardless of how you count it.

#$%^&*@ DUDE "HUNTER�" -- Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even brickheads.

Still wanting to know what "run" means as applied to "run a .25-06."
It doesn�t take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Might take more than a brickhead.
You certainly fancy yourself some kind of a salty dog. Impress us and offer an explanation, Milli Vanilli.

Push yourself � maybe you can figure it out if you try hard enough�

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 12/28/11. Reason: added bold for readability

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't care wich cartridge is better. Don't care which action length is better. I love the 260 and used it for years. I love the 7-08 and used only it for 2 seasons. My newest "love" is the 257 Roberts.
I went with short action Kimbers on the advice of someone I trust and respect. One a Classic Select and the other a Montana. I also have a Lipsey's Ruger No. 1 in 257 Roberts. Is that a long or short action? The same load that's working in my Kimbers is working in the No.1 so... Who Cares?!

Now for the "real world experience". This year I shot a whitetail with a 308 that ran about 20 yards and piled up. The next week I shot another WT of about the same size with the 257 Roberts Montana. It went about 20 yards and piled up.

The difference? For me it was the recoil. I actually watched the deer run off through the scope on the Roberts. Honestly, I think stock design and fit had more to do with it than anything else. The 257 Montana vs. the 308 walnut X-Bolt.

Bottom line is, unfortunately for the bank account, I love a lot of carts and always want to try something new. I've got dies for about 30 different carts now and rifles for most of them.

This year it's the 257 Roberts getting most of my attention. Better? I guess so, at least until next years deer season. smile

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't have to resort to anything. I merely point out the obvious -- your use of metrosexual terms, your reliance on data developed and acquired by others vice your own, your repeated dickhead tales told on yourself (hunting with an empty chamber and justification thereof), your own admission that you've never hunted whitetail deer, your own admission that you don't have any experience with any of the .25 caliber rounds on which you've chosen to pontificate your horseshit ramblings, your reliance on guided hunts, etc. I could go on, but I think the point is obvious: YOU'RE JUST A F*CKING DUDE "HUNTER." In your mind, if you read it somewhere, then you've experienced it.
Just to set the record straight�

metrosexual terms� � no sure which ones you are talking about and don�t give a hoot, either. Having been happily married to the same woman for 30 years and having raised 3 wonderful daughters, I�m quite comfortable with my sexuality. The fact that you bring it up makes me wonder about you, however.
Here you go, dickhead: Coyote_Hunter defined. The fact that you seem to have to use the term "run" when you're obviously discussing another verb entirely, refer to muzzleloaders as "muzzle stuffers," Remingtons as "remmy," and a whole host of other ignorant f*cking BULLSHIT. Really, just who in the f*ck are you trying to impress with that horseshit?

But, if you're inclined to swing from the other side of the plate and be a catcher, but not a pitcher, that's fine, too. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

reliance on data developed and acquired by others� -- By that you mean independently published, pressure tested data provided by various manufacturers and SAMMI standards. Totally unreliable, I agree. (Not.)
The point seems to have escaped your dumb-f*cking-ass once again. Your "experience" -- is reading what others have written. And even then you cherry pick what YOU find agreeable. You have very little ACTUAL experience. Savvy? Get someone to explain that to you if you still can't grasp it.

hunting with an empty chamber� -- Yup, guilty as charged. My most common form of carry, even with my CCW firearms. Carried my Kimber .45 with an empty chamber most of the day today, never did rack one into the chamber.
I have nothing to add to that bit of stupidity. You can f*ck up and see yourself as genius all by your lonesome.

never hunted whitetail deer� -- Again, guilty as charged. I hunt mulies instead and have been doing so since 1982. Haven�t killed one in about 7 weeks now. Elk hunting takes priority, though, and deer are more targets of opportunity until the elk are down. I hunt antelope, too, but only got started on them about 9 years ago and didn�t start hunting them regularly until I started going to Wyoming for them later on.
My, my, aren't you a salty f*cking dog!!!!

�your own admission that you don't have any experience with any of the .25 caliber rounds� -- I guess my .257 Roberts doesn�t count? But no, I�ve never owned or loaded for a short-action Roberts or a .25-06.
The actual quote was "...you don't have any experience with any of the .25 caliber rounds on which you've chosen to pontificate your horseshit ramblings..." And your ramblings are most certainly HORSESHIT.

your reliance on guided hunts� -- That is certainly news to me as I am, and have always been, primarily a self-guided, public land hunter. Since 1982 I�ve had two hunts that I would consider fully �guided�, both on Colorado �Ranching For Wildlife� properties where I paid the normal resident license fees and the guides were mandatory and provided free by the ranch � one for elk, the other for antelope. On both occasions I would gladly have gone it alone if allowed to do so. In addition I�ve twice hunted elk on another RFW ranch where you pick out the part of the ranch you want to hunt, the ranch hands �guide� you into the area and describe the property boundaries, then leave � after which you are on your own to find the elk and get them out. I�ve also paid modest trespass fees to hunt private land on three occasions. On the first, for deer, my hunting buddy and I were completely on our own the whole time and I took a buck mule deer. The second time my right hip was so jacked up I could barely walk, which was why I was paying for easier access to good land. The rancher showed me the land the first evening. The rest of that �hunt� consisted of driving in on my own and parking, then sitting in or by the truck while reading, snoozing and watching for elk. Went home empty handed on that trip, having previously turned down several easy shots at elk on public land so that my son-in-law would have an opportunity to take his first. (He never fired even though the shot opportunities were 200 yards and less. Buck fever maybe, I don�t know.) The last time I paid a trespass fee was on another deer hunt. The rancher accompanied me and while we both had a good time discussing the ranching business for the short time we were together, the deer were plentiful and his presence made no difference in the final outcome one way or the other. In any case, the number of my self-guided hunts far exceeds anything that could be considered �guided� and the times I�ve �guided� new hunters to their first game outnumbers the times I�ve been �guided� regardless of how you count it.
Your "blog" and ignorant f*cking posts indicate otherwise. Just a dude hunter and reference "expert." That's all you'll ever be. Unless you're able to actually get off your ass and make it past the front door. With your unloaded guns.

Originally Posted by Coypte_Hunter
Still wanting to know what "run" means as applied to "run a .25-06."
It doesn�t take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Might take more than a brickhead.
You certainly fancy yourself some kind of a salty dog. Impress us and offer an explanation, Milli Vanilli.
Push yourself � maybe you can figure it out if you try hard enough�
But you have a rather high opinion of yourself and your "abilities." The floor is yours to IMPRESS us with your vast knowledge and ability to coin terms. Please, offer a definition of "run" as used in the context of "run a .25-06." I'm not sure I've seen a .25-06 -- or any other caliber -- "run."

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have the kids stole the thread, or we still talking about the .257 Roberts?

My only .257 Roberts is a custom full stock Mod 95 Mauser.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
brickhead -

You are booringly, childlishly repetitive and very clearly have issues including an inability to deal with facts rather than emotion. Hope you don't have a stroke or anything while spewing your garbage...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Humper
brickhead -

You are booringly, childlishly repetitive and very clearly have issues including an inability to deal with facts rather than emotion. Hope you don't have a stroke or anything while spewing your garbage...
Coyote_Humper:

Please enlighten all of us with your metrosexual-speak. I'm still waiting for you to explain how you "run" a cartridge. Anyone who carries an unloaded concealed carry weapon is bound to be full of "knowledge."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
brickhead -

Coyote_Humper:

Please enlighten all of us with your metrosexual-speak. I'm still waiting for you to explain how you "run" a cartridge. Anyone who carries an unloaded concealed carry weapon is bound to be full of "knowledge."

If you want to have a rational discussion I would be happy to do so. So far I haven't seen anything to indicate that you are capable or interested in so doing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
brickhead -

Coyote_Humper:

If you want to have a rational discussion I would be happy to do so. So far I haven't seen anything to indicate that you are capable or interested in so doing.
I've asked as rationally and reasonably as anyone can ask, but my guess is you won't respond because you're embarrassed at being called out.

You continually post ignorant-ass BULLSHIT and you seem to think in your mind, you're the smartest guy in the room. I didn't post that nonsense about carrying an unloaded concealed weapon -- YOU DID. I didn't use in place of my personal experience someone else's regurgitated data -- YOU DID.

You're pretty f*cking froggy every other time. Why the bashful act about explaining the "run" term?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
brickhead -

Coyote_Humper:

I've asked as rationally and reasonably as anyone can ask, but my guess is you won't respond because you're embarrassed at being called out.

You continually post ignorant-ass BULLSHIT and you seem to think in your mind, you're the smartest guy in the room. I didn't post that nonsense about carrying an unloaded concealed weapon -- YOU DID. I didn't use in place of my personal experience someone else's regurgitated data -- YOU DID.

You're pretty f*cking froggy every other time. Why the bashful act about explaining the "run" term?

Your continued use of profanity and personal attack pretty much make my case. Thank you.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coyote_Humper:

Your continued use of profanity and personal attack pretty much make my case. Thank you.
Your constant avoidance of the issue makes mine. If it wasn't some horseshit excuse about "profanity," you'd avoid answering because it was Thursday, or because it's December, or because it's an odd-numbered year, or because you think you're above answering such questions, etc. There's always an excuse from a pissant, dude hunter like you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In a long action the .25-06 does everything a Roberts will do and then some.
Not really. It burns around 25% more powder for a gain of a mere 7% in velocity for any given bullet as used in the .257 Roberts.

Brick, what do account for the small gain in velocity with such a greater powder burn?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Not really. It burns around 25% more powder for a gain of a mere 7% in velocity for any given bullet as used in the .257 Roberts.
Brick, what do account for the small gain in velocity with such a greater powder burn?
Limited bearing surface. There's only so much additional velocity that can be had for a given bore diameter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Your constant avoidance of the issue makes mine. If it wasn't some horseshit excuse about "profanity," you'd avoid answering because it was Thursday, or because it's December, or because it's an odd-numbered year, or because you think you're above answering such questions, etc. There's always an excuse from a pissant, dude hunter like you.

I don't answer your questions because it so clearly annoys you no end.

More profanity and personal attacks on your part, the sign of someone with nothng of value to say.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Limited bearing surface. There's only so much additional velocity that can be had for a given bore diameter.

In layman's terms, with respect to expanding gases as the powder burns, would a longer or shorter barrel affect the performance of either cartridge over the other?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

More profanity and personal attacks on your part, the sign of someone with nothng of value to say.
You won't answer due to your vanity. It doesn't matter how the argument is presented to you, you're just not going to answer. Period. You're an insecure little person who has attempted to cultivate a certain image that won't stand up to basic questioning. Any time you feel your "great white hunter" image is threatened, you do what you can to protect that. And that means crawling into your shell.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In layman's terms, with respect to expanding gases as the powder burns, would a longer or shorter barrel affect the performance of either cartridge over the other?
Obviously a longer barrel is going to be the most beneficial for any overbored cartridge with slow-burning powders, but at what point do you end that? Are you going to stick a 28-inch or 30-inch tube on everything like that just to get the "maximum" performance out of the cartridge?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You won't answer due to your vanity. It doesn't matter how the argument is presented to you, you're just not going to answer. Period. You're an insecure little person who has attempted to cultivate a certain image that won't stand up to basic questioning. Any time you feel your "great white hunter" image is threatened, you do what you can to protect that. And that means crawling into your shell.

My refusal to answer your question is driving you crazy, isn't it? I can almost hear your blood pressure going up...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My refusal to answer your question is driving you crazy, isn't it? I can almost hear your blood pressure going up...
You don't bother me any more than any other self-important, self-absorbed, mouth-breathing, piece-of-dogshit, metrosexual armchair "expert." I haven't elevated you to the same importance you've placed upon yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't answer your questions because it so clearly annoys you no end. ...

You don't bother me any more than any other self-important, self-absorbed, mouth-breathing, piece-of-dogshit, metrosexual armchair "expert." I haven't elevated you to the same importance you've placed upon yourself.

Then why all the venom??? (laughing...)

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 12/30/11.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 13 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 674 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.