Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
#5993358 - 01/02/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: Scott F]  
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,570
heavywalker Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
heavywalker  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,570
40 Years too Late
I'm in just let me know where the funds need to go


Vote out the incumbent

"Some people believe that appeasement is the solution to an enemy. I believe standing for what one knows is right needs no excuse, nor justification, nor appeasement" - Winston Churchill





CMG 300 BP

#5993402 - 01/02/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: heavywalker]  
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 337
AlaskanMatt Offline
Campfire Regular
AlaskanMatt  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 337
HOME! Wasilla, AK
Thanks everyone. If I can connect with a moose, I'll have some jerky made up and send ya'll some. Don't worry - there will be plenty to go around. A mature bull will yield about 700 lbs of meat. That would feed my family of 7 for about a year.


"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
#5993546 - 01/02/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: AlaskanMatt]  
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,228
mart Online content
Campfire Guide
mart  Online Content
Campfire Guide

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,228
Wasilla, Alaska
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt
Thanks everyone. If I can connect with a moose, I'll have some jerky made up and send ya'll some. Don't worry - there will be plenty to go around. A mature bull will yield about 700 lbs of meat. That would feed my family of 7 for about a year.


Seven! Does that mean you have 5 kids? Man you do know what causes that don't you? Just kidding I come from a big family and loved it. Are any of them old enough to hunt with you?

Mart


"a large number of red blooded Americans have been striving to make us a Nation of Rifleman. We have succeeded. May we ever remain thus, for the privilege to bear, and the ability to use weapons is the greatest guarantee of Liberty." Townsend Whelen
#5993849 - 01/02/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: mart]  
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,278
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
KDK  Offline
Campfire Tracker

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,278
home in OR!
I'm in... both for helping out with the rifle and the moose jerky!


Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
#5993867 - 01/02/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: KDK]  
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,375
colorado bob Online content
Campfire Ranger
colorado bob  Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,375
I'm in. Where do I send a check?

Alpha

#5993973 - 01/02/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: mart]  
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 337
AlaskanMatt Offline
Campfire Regular
AlaskanMatt  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 337
HOME! Wasilla, AK
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt
Thanks everyone. If I can connect with a moose, I'll have some jerky made up and send ya'll some. Don't worry - there will be plenty to go around. A mature bull will yield about 700 lbs of meat. That would feed my family of 7 for about a year.


Seven! Does that mean you have 5 kids? Man you do know what causes that don't you? Just kidding I come from a big family and loved it. Are any of them old enough to hunt with you?

Mart


LOL, I figured someone would catch that. Yes, I have five kids. All of them perfect, too. My oldest, and the only boy, Timothy is 12 and he's already a veteran of several hunting trips with me. He's put a fair amount of small game on the table himself. My oldest girl, Sarah just got her first rifle for her 9th birthday. It's a cricket single shot .22 and she loves it. She needs a bit more practise before she's ready to hunt. Timothy has a .22, a pump-action 410, and a Rossi youth combo in 20 gauge and .243 Win. We're a hunting/fishing/outdoors family.

Ya'll ought not to get me started about my kids. I can brag on them for the whole deployment. grin


"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
#5993985 - 01/03/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: AlaskanMatt]  
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 337
AlaskanMatt Offline
Campfire Regular
AlaskanMatt  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 337
HOME! Wasilla, AK
Okay, here's one more pic of my ugly mug taken three days ago in my motorpool. That beast behind me is my truck.

[Linked Image]


"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
#5994008 - 01/03/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: AlaskanMatt]  
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 28,821
Seafire Offline
Campfire Oracle
Seafire  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 28,821
Southern Oregon USA
Gee Matt... Too bad you couldn't take the truck home as Surplus...

looks like that thing would get you around the Alaskan wilderness pretty darn well...that thing is cool!



Hillary Clinton In 2013: “I Would Like To See People Like Donald Trump Run For Office; They’re Honest And Can’t Be Bought”

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

#5994012 - 01/03/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: Seafire]  
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 28,821
Seafire Offline
Campfire Oracle
Seafire  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 28,821
Southern Oregon USA
Okay,

for all the Wonderful folks here who are diving in on this project, which some did a simple name for it, which I am going to adapt... "Project Matt"....

I am trying to return PMs as fast as I can...

this has been less than 48 hours and the responses have been overwhelming..

for those that wish to donate, or contribute anything to "Project Matt"...please PM me.. it is easier for me to manage and follow up on...

I am running this thru my small company... on PM I am giving out that address and also am giving out my personal mobile phone number if anyone needs to contact me beyond PM....

I also want to put this out there as an idea from another forum member who desires to remain anonymous, but has done a very generous contribution for Project Matt....

There is another forum member here, who just got back from Afghanistan.. several forum members here were evidently sending CARE packages to the guys in his unit over there, during their tour...

so the Suggestion has been made to do this also for that returning forum member....

I support the idea and will commit $20 also to that project to get the ball rolling on that one...

The intended forum member probably doesn't even have a clue that he has been targeted for a little appreciation....

but it is up to you guys if you are cool with that also...

I'll post it as AFGHAN VET PROJECT TWO...

While I am at the keyboard also, I want to say that a lot of guys have complimented me for even thinking of this...I humbly thank you... but the heroes on this are YOU GUYS.. the response on this has already been substantial...

you guys are stepping right up to the plate for Matt here...

So I am the architect here... YOU GUYS are the ones that are building this....

This is already a done deal... it is all now just putting together the logistics...

If anyone out there has a really nice scope they would like to donate or sell cheap to us.. I'd like to send this to Matt with a Leupold or scope of his choice on top...wish we could make it a Nightforce or something of that sort... but we are a little short for that much.. unless some well to do forum member has one he doesn't need anymore...

I'll try and keep an up to date report on this as the gears turn...but it is moving quickly right out of the chute...

I'm proud to be on this forum with everyone of you guys!


Hillary Clinton In 2013: “I Would Like To See People Like Donald Trump Run For Office; They’re Honest And Can’t Be Bought”

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

#5994449 - 01/03/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: Seafire]  
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 84
BearKiller Offline
Member
BearKiller  Offline
Member

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 84
AFGHANISTAN / ALASKA
Just wanted to chime in and say he is one of if not the most deserving hunting partner I could ever ask for. I was lucky enough to assist Matt in harvesting his first Alaskan Black Bear last year before we both left for the "sand" together. Now I hope I can be blessed with him taking his first Alaskan Brown bear when we get back stateside. Much KUDO's to all who are participating in this!


[Linked Image]

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."
Bravo

#5994507 - 01/03/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: Seafire]  
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,168
NH K9 Online content
Campfire Outfitter
NH K9  Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,168
New Hampshire
I missed this thread yesterday. I picked up on it when it was linked in the Spano thread (another 10 minutes I'll never get back).

PM incoming.

George


Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.
#5994896 - 01/03/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: Seafire]  
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 42,592
ltppowell Offline
Campfire Oracle
ltppowell  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 42,592
SE Texas
Originally Posted by Seafire
Okay,

for all the Wonderful folks here who are diving in on this project, which some did a simple name for it, which I am going to adapt... "Project Matt"....

I am trying to return PMs as fast as I can...

this has been less than 48 hours and the responses have been overwhelming..

for those that wish to donate, or contribute anything to "Project Matt"...please PM me.. it is easier for me to manage and follow up on...

I am running this thru my small company... on PM I am giving out that address and also am giving out my personal mobile phone number if anyone needs to contact me beyond PM....

I also want to put this out there as an idea from another forum member who desires to remain anonymous, but has done a very generous contribution for Project Matt....

There is another forum member here, who just got back from Afghanistan.. several forum members here were evidently sending CARE packages to the guys in his unit over there, during their tour...

so the Suggestion has been made to do this also for that returning forum member....

I support the idea and will commit $20 also to that project to get the ball rolling on that one...

The intended forum member probably doesn't even have a clue that he has been targeted for a little appreciation....

but it is up to you guys if you are cool with that also...

I'll post it as AFGHAN VET PROJECT TWO...

While I am at the keyboard also, I want to say that a lot of guys have complimented me for even thinking of this...I humbly thank you... but the heroes on this are YOU GUYS.. the response on this has already been substantial...

you guys are stepping right up to the plate for Matt here...

So I am the architect here... YOU GUYS are the ones that are building this....

This is already a done deal... it is all now just putting together the logistics...

If anyone out there has a really nice scope they would like to donate or sell cheap to us.. I'd like to send this to Matt with a Leupold or scope of his choice on top...wish we could make it a Nightforce or something of that sort... but we are a little short for that much.. unless some well to do forum member has one he doesn't need anymore...

I'll try and keep an up to date report on this as the gears turn...but it is moving quickly right out of the chute...

I'm proud to be on this forum with everyone of you guys!


I think that is a GREAT idea.


Like it, or not, you should really stick to what you're good at.
#5994974 - 01/03/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: AlaskanMatt]  
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,228
mart Online content
Campfire Guide
mart  Online Content
Campfire Guide

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,228
Wasilla, Alaska
Well the truck is pretty. grin Just teasing Matt. We appreciate what you are doing over there. I notice the 25th Infantry patches. I was in the 25th, stationed in Hawaii, many, many years ago. Is there anything we can do for you on this end while you are deployed to help out you and your family. Our church tries to reach out to help the families of deployed soldiers when we can.

Mart


"a large number of red blooded Americans have been striving to make us a Nation of Rifleman. We have succeeded. May we ever remain thus, for the privilege to bear, and the ability to use weapons is the greatest guarantee of Liberty." Townsend Whelen
#5994976 - 01/03/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: Seafire]  
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 486
ChasR Offline
Campfire Regular
ChasR  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 486
The check is in the mail!! (I LOVE saying that! But, THIS time it's true!) I use Quicken so you'll see it around the 10th.

Thanks for doing the 'leg work' on this.

#5997107 - 01/03/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: mart]  
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 337
AlaskanMatt Offline
Campfire Regular
AlaskanMatt  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 337
HOME! Wasilla, AK
Originally Posted by mart
Well the truck is pretty. grin Just teasing Matt. We appreciate what you are doing over there. I notice the 25th Infantry patches. I was in the 25th, stationed in Hawaii, many, many years ago. Is there anything we can do for you on this end while you are deployed to help out you and your family. Our church tries to reach out to help the families of deployed soldiers when we can.

Mart


Thanks Mart, I appreciate that. There's really nothing I need though. My family goes to Wasilla Christian and they do an excellent job of taking care of my wife and kids while I'm gone. They send me goodies too. I bought my wife a fourwheeler with a plow during my first deployment, but she never had to use it. One of the men from the church was always over plowing our driveway after every storm. cool


"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
#5998302 - 01/03/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: AlaskanMatt]  
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,356
nifty-two-fifty Offline
Campfire Ranger
nifty-two-fifty  Offline
Campfire Ranger

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,356
Far Northstate Calif
My check went out today in time to make the last pick-up at 5:00. I am honored to participate.

Another option that could be considered, in order to get a good 35 Whelen, would be to order a Shaw rifle to Matt's specs.

Let's try to keep this thread on the front page.


Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
#5998764 - 01/04/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: nifty-two-fifty]  
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,057
raybass Offline
Campfire Guide
raybass  Offline
Campfire Guide

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,057
Montgomery, Tx
Has an action been picked yet? Like others I have the little stuff laying around that may help. Rings bases and so on.


JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

#5998771 - 01/04/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: raybass]  
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 11,654
Karnis Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Karnis  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 11,654
TX & WV
Howzabouda Remington 700 Classique? Little cerakote, different furniture, some QRW's. Haven't priced a Classique but may be an option. Eh?

Last edited by Karnis; 01/04/12.
#5998797 - 01/04/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: Karnis]  
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 28,821
Seafire Offline
Campfire Oracle
Seafire  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 28,821
Southern Oregon USA
Matt requested a Marlin XL 7, since he owns several of them as I gather... one in an 06 and then also a short action, I think he said 243...

he has given me the desired specs of the barrel...

now I just need to wait for the funds to start being received in the mail..

He also would just like to duplicate the scope he has on his 30/06, which is a Redfield 3 x 9 with the circle x reticle...

Several members have FFLs and are offering the rifles to be secured for their cost plus shipping...

Matt and I have also spoken on whose barrel he would like, and he is not particular....

he'll be home in May, and I'd like to have this done and available to him by then...

several other guys have also offered reloading dies and some left over bullets from their Whelans...

tomorrow morning this endeavor will be only 72 hour old.. and it has come together quickly...

I have been returning PMs as fast as I can, schedule permitting..I am also putting my mobile phone number on those PMs in case anyone desires to call me regarding the project here..

per the suggestion of another forum member, we are also going to start a second project for a forum member who has not been back from the 'Stan very long at all...

Will try to keep folks posted on this..and its progress..

it would be great if anyone knows how to ask management to allow this to stay as a sticky...help would be appreciated..

best regards
john chr
seafire


Hillary Clinton In 2013: “I Would Like To See People Like Donald Trump Run For Office; They’re Honest And Can’t Be Bought”

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

#6000213 - 01/04/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: Seafire]  
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,356
nifty-two-fifty Offline
Campfire Ranger
nifty-two-fifty  Offline
Campfire Ranger

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,356
Far Northstate Calif
BTT


Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
#6000268 - 01/04/12 Re: 35 Whelen for a Deserving Forum Member [Re: nifty-two-fifty]  
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,859
HugAJackass Offline
Campfire Kahuna
HugAJackass  Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,859
AL, USA
Just saw this!

You guys all know this is near and dear to my heart, absolutely count me in!

PM Sent


"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

AIH 160 1
Who's Online Now
708 registered members (1lesfox, 1911a1, 10gaugemag, 17_wizzer, 12344mag, 117LBS, 81 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 425 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod









Copyright © 2000-2018 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.077s Queries: 14 (0.005s) Memory: 1.0566 MB (Peak: 1.3626 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-01-23 23:45:38 UTC