Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
the Link in Reloading Section...

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5982844/1/New_guy_dreaming_of_a_35_Whele

This is from a young soldier stationed in Afghanistan, who is from Alaska, who is "dreaming of a 35 Whelen" to pick up when he gets home from serving his country over there...

I made a proposal this morning on the Reloading Section when I saw this... there has been no response all day..

I know this is New Years day and folks are doing other things than hanging on 24HR...

However, I thought I would bring this up here to the Campfire Forum....

What I am proposing is for us to make this young soldier's dream come true, by we at 24 Hour come up with Donations and purchase a barrel for him, to be put on the action of his choice.....

I am committing $20.00 to the project to get it started...
I gives us an opportunity to show a little appreciation to one of our young soldiers, who is putting himself in harms way to serve his country... a million miles away from home and family.

If anyone desire to contribute or head this project, please PM me...if no one else wants to spear head this, I will be happy to... but it shouldn't take much from very many of us to make a young E5 have something he'd love to have...

Serving his country, where he is... he's already more than made his contribution to this...Matt, thank you for your service to your country...

cheers
seafire

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in. How much is a barrel?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That will work a great thing your doing here

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
pm sent

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You know I'm in. laugh

Last edited by Karnis; 01/01/12. Reason: Diarrhea of the mouth and constipation of the brain
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I just saw this and followed your link. Matt sounds like a well deserving young man, especially his last post ##5988657.

Just let me know where to send the USPS MO.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in, I love doing these things. I think the last one we did was for Winnie1300?

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
+1

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'd be in. Be a nice treat for someone away from friends and family for a year.

Last edited by prm; 01/01/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in.

This may well be the best money I spend all year.

Steve

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Seafire,

I'm in. PM me to let me know what you need from me.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm in PM sent

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am in since you guys were nice enough to help me!

PM sent.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Put me down for $20, PM details.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just got home from being out for family commitments this evening..

With no response on the Reloading forum, the first thing we have to do is get a response from Matt, the young E 5 in Afghanistan..

We need to know what kind of action he wants to put this on etc..

with an early response from so many, lets see when he picks an action, if we can have someone who can donate or knows where an action is, like he would like to have...

Thanks to all the guys who have already responded... its new years day and we are starting off the new year with 'doing the right thing' for a young deserving Soldier!

you guys rock!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Count me in. I have to stand by my fellow Wasillian, Wasillite, shoot I don't know what more than one of us is called but I'm in. PM sent.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mart
Count me in. I have to stand by my fellow Wasillian, Wasillite, shoot I don't know what more than one of us is called but I'm in. PM sent.

Mart

I think Wasillan plural is "valley trash". wink
I might have to enlist you to help me sight this thing in Mart!

I guess I would be the Matt in question. I'm at a loss for words here folks. Here's my reply to Seafire, so the action info is on here too:

Originally Posted by AlaskaMatt
LOL, thanks Seafire. It does mean a lot. And I'm not as young as you might think. I enlisted rather late in life. I got all the grandpa jokes in BCT, at the age of 31. I'll be hitting 38 in 10 days. I feel younger than I am though, if that makes any difference. ;-)

If ya'll are going to insist on this, the stainless Marlin XL7 '06 is the action I was planning to use. I already have one in '06 and I love it. They are inexpensive, but very well made with a smooth action, adjustable trigger and far more accurate than the price suggests.

I hadn't decided yet on whether to have the factory barrel re-bored or have the action re-barreled. I understand Savage barrels might work in the Marlin action. Ya'll can pretty much decide how to build it. The majority of you probably know more about custom rifle building than I do anyway.

I don't really know what to say here. I've never had anyone offer to build me a rifle before. Here I am brand-new to the forum, just came here on the advice of a friend to pick some of your brains on the 35 Whelen and two days later I'm choosing an action for a rifle that fellow veterans have offered to build for me. I just hope I can someday re-pay your kindness.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Matt,

you've repaid our 'kindness' every day you get up, put on your uniform and serve your country... just like every other guy over there...

I can't speak for anyone else, but this is the LEAST I can do for a veteran who is still serving in harms way...

I look at myself as really immaterial in all of this... but the response I have already had from fellow forum members and fellow vets.. all I can say is I am damn proud to hang out in the same circles as you guys... you guys are what is representative of what is RIGHT with our country...

Thank you to each of your gentlemen...

I told Matt, all he owes us, is a report on the first success of his Whelan when he gets back to the world and takes her out hunting...and to come home Safe.. like we hope all the boys over there in harms way will do...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I might even be able to share some success before the Whelen is done, with it's "little brother" Marlin 30-06. I'm hopefully going home in May for R&R leave. That's the best time to look for a spring bear. cool

I've got some 200 gr. Nosler Partitions loaded up that should work just fine on a black bear.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I'm in.

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
pm sent.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
PM sent.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just in case any of you want to see the lucky guy who is getting the Whelen.... a bigger version of that little thumbnail to the left:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You let the air out of that bear! shocked

laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seafire, when you get the details set on where to respond, let me know. I'm in for this good cause.

Sam......

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Seafire
If he is gonna reload, I've got a set of Lee dies to contribute.
May have some bullets as well.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Seafire, when you get the details set on where to respond, let me know. I'm in for this good cause.

Yeah, like Mannlicher said! Count me in. Let me know where and how to send funds.
US Army RVN - 1970-1971

Last edited by CRounds; 01/02/12. Reason: Date Correction!!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt

Mart

I guess I would be the Matt in question. I'm at a loss for words here folks. Here's my reply to Seafire, so the action info is on here too:

LOL, thanks Seafire. It does mean a lot. And I'm not as young as you might think. I enlisted rather late in life. I got all the grandpa jokes in BCT, at the age of 31. I'll be hitting 38 in 10 days. I feel younger than I am though, if that makes any difference. ;-)

If ya'll are going to insist on this, the stainless Marlin XL7 '06 is the action I was planning to use. I already have one in '06 and I love it. They are inexpensive, but very well made with a smooth action, adjustable trigger and far more accurate than the price suggests.

I hadn't decided yet on whether to have the factory barrel re-bored or have the action re-barreled. I understand Savage barrels might work in the Marlin action. Ya'll can pretty much decide how to build it. The majority of you probably know more about custom rifle building than I do anyway.

I don't really know what to say here. I've never had anyone offer to build me a rifle before. Here I am brand-new to the forum, just came here on the advice of a friend to pick some of your brains on the 35 Whelen and two days later I'm choosing an action for a rifle that fellow veterans have offered to build for me. I just hope I can someday re-pay your kindness.

Matt,

Just give a shout when you want to go to the range. I work a week on/week off schedule so can hit the range during the week when there is not so large a crowd if that works for you.

This was a great idea Seafire. Thanks for starting it.

Mart

Last edited by mart; 01/02/12.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Mart

Matt,

Just give a shout when you want to go to the range. I work a week on/week off schedule so can hit the range during the week when there is not so large a crowd if that works for you.

This was a great idea Seafire. Thanks for starting it.

Mart

Sounds good to me, we tend to get a fair amount of time off when we get home from a deployment. I assume you're talking about birchwood - I may go ahead and spring for a membership again since the Wasilla range seems to have fallen through.

That bear was the best meat I've ever tasted!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I am a member at Birchwood. There is the range out north of Willow on the Parks but I don't know the name of it or the contact information, or if it is even still in operation.

Mart

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've driven by it a few times, but I've never seen anyone there. I just assumed it was closed. I think it's a bit farther than birchwood.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It is a bit farther than Birchwood but probably less crowded. I have never seen anyone there either. I should post that question on the Alaska Outdoors Forum and see if anyone knows the status of that range.

Mart

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Count me in.

PM sent.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm in! Will you keep us updated here on the build he wants? (I may be interested in donating a scope, bases/rings, or something else depending on the gun!)

--Duck911

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Before I logged on here, I had sent a message to Wild West Guns asking about the cost of the build. He replied today telling me that re-barreling the Marlin would be almost four times the price of the rifle. I still can't believe ya'll are doing this for me. I'm gonna need adresses for everyone involved so I can at least send a thank you card or something. So whose up for some moose jerky? confused

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I'm in. Pleae tell me where to send the cunds.

Bill

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think most any one of us would gnaw on a stick or two. grin

What's happening here has happened in different variations/themes. There are too many gentlemen on this forum to list that have helped others. Frankly, I'm not sure there is any other innanet forum that has the quality of folks than here.

I've made more than one life long friend by joining and spend 99% of my rifle looney time here (much to others chagrin eek ).

Stay awhile if you would, we need to add to the ranks.

Stay safe and get yer azz back home.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have a friend of mine in the Army in AK, Ft Richardson, whose husband is back in [bleep], they are great couple. Love to help this nice Soldier too. Please let me know where to send some funds! Otis!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
just finally read this and realized what the title meant....I'm in. Let me know where to send and what the tariff is to cover the costs.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am a member at Birchwood. There is the range out north of Willow on the Parks but I don't know the name of it or the contact information, or if it is even still in operation.

Mart

Mart,

If your talking about the range on the right hand side going towards Talkeetna, it's still in operation, the name escapes me though.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I still can't believe ya'll are doing this for me. I'm gonna need adresses for everyone involved so I can at least send a thank you card or something. So whose up for some moose jerky? confused

And I cannot believe what you are sacrificing for us here at home. I think it is we who owe you. keep your head down.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I'm in send me the details.

Bill

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm in just let me know where the funds need to go

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks everyone. If I can connect with a moose, I'll have some jerky made up and send ya'll some. Don't worry - there will be plenty to go around. A mature bull will yield about 700 lbs of meat. That would feed my family of 7 for about a year.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks everyone. If I can connect with a moose, I'll have some jerky made up and send ya'll some. Don't worry - there will be plenty to go around. A mature bull will yield about 700 lbs of meat. That would feed my family of 7 for about a year.

Seven! Does that mean you have 5 kids? Man you do know what causes that don't you? Just kidding I come from a big family and loved it. Are any of them old enough to hunt with you?

Mart

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in... both for helping out with the rifle and the moose jerky!

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in. Where do I send a check?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Seven! Does that mean you have 5 kids? Man you do know what causes that don't you? Just kidding I come from a big family and loved it. Are any of them old enough to hunt with you?

Mart

LOL, I figured someone would catch that. Yes, I have five kids. All of them perfect, too. My oldest, and the only boy, Timothy is 12 and he's already a veteran of several hunting trips with me. He's put a fair amount of small game on the table himself. My oldest girl, Sarah just got her first rifle for her 9th birthday. It's a cricket single shot .22 and she loves it. She needs a bit more practise before she's ready to hunt. Timothy has a .22, a pump-action 410, and a Rossi youth combo in 20 gauge and .243 Win. We're a hunting/fishing/outdoors family.

Ya'll ought not to get me started about my kids. I can brag on them for the whole deployment. grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Okay, here's one more pic of my ugly mug taken three days ago in my motorpool. That beast behind me is my truck.

[Linked Image]

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gee Matt... Too bad you couldn't take the truck home as Surplus...

looks like that thing would get you around the Alaskan wilderness pretty darn well...that thing is cool!

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Okay,

for all the Wonderful folks here who are diving in on this project, which some did a simple name for it, which I am going to adapt... "Project Matt"....

I am trying to return PMs as fast as I can...

this has been less than 48 hours and the responses have been overwhelming..

for those that wish to donate, or contribute anything to "Project Matt"...please PM me.. it is easier for me to manage and follow up on...

I am running this thru my small company... on PM I am giving out that address and also am giving out my personal mobile phone number if anyone needs to contact me beyond PM....

I also want to put this out there as an idea from another forum member who desires to remain anonymous, but has done a very generous contribution for Project Matt....

There is another forum member here, who just got back from Afghanistan.. several forum members here were evidently sending CARE packages to the guys in his unit over there, during their tour...

so the Suggestion has been made to do this also for that returning forum member....

I support the idea and will commit $20 also to that project to get the ball rolling on that one...

The intended forum member probably doesn't even have a clue that he has been targeted for a little appreciation....

but it is up to you guys if you are cool with that also...

I'll post it as AFGHAN VET PROJECT TWO...

While I am at the keyboard also, I want to say that a lot of guys have complimented me for even thinking of this...I humbly thank you... but the heroes on this are YOU GUYS.. the response on this has already been substantial...

you guys are stepping right up to the plate for Matt here...

So I am the architect here... YOU GUYS are the ones that are building this....

This is already a done deal... it is all now just putting together the logistics...

If anyone out there has a really nice scope they would like to donate or sell cheap to us.. I'd like to send this to Matt with a Leupold or scope of his choice on top...wish we could make it a Nightforce or something of that sort... but we are a little short for that much.. unless some well to do forum member has one he doesn't need anymore...

I'll try and keep an up to date report on this as the gears turn...but it is moving quickly right out of the chute...

I'm proud to be on this forum with everyone of you guys!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just wanted to chime in and say he is one of if not the most deserving hunting partner I could ever ask for. I was lucky enough to assist Matt in harvesting his first Alaskan Black Bear last year before we both left for the "sand" together. Now I hope I can be blessed with him taking his first Alaskan Brown bear when we get back stateside. Much KUDO's to all who are participating in this!

[Linked Image]

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I missed this thread yesterday. I picked up on it when it was linked in the Spano thread (another 10 minutes I'll never get back).

PM incoming.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seafire
Okay,

for all the Wonderful folks here who are diving in on this project, which some did a simple name for it, which I am going to adapt... "Project Matt"....

I am trying to return PMs as fast as I can...

this has been less than 48 hours and the responses have been overwhelming..

for those that wish to donate, or contribute anything to "Project Matt"...please PM me.. it is easier for me to manage and follow up on...

I am running this thru my small company... on PM I am giving out that address and also am giving out my personal mobile phone number if anyone needs to contact me beyond PM....

I also want to put this out there as an idea from another forum member who desires to remain anonymous, but has done a very generous contribution for Project Matt....

There is another forum member here, who just got back from Afghanistan.. several forum members here were evidently sending CARE packages to the guys in his unit over there, during their tour...

so the Suggestion has been made to do this also for that returning forum member....

I support the idea and will commit $20 also to that project to get the ball rolling on that one...

The intended forum member probably doesn't even have a clue that he has been targeted for a little appreciation....

but it is up to you guys if you are cool with that also...

I'll post it as AFGHAN VET PROJECT TWO...

While I am at the keyboard also, I want to say that a lot of guys have complimented me for even thinking of this...I humbly thank you... but the heroes on this are YOU GUYS.. the response on this has already been substantial...

you guys are stepping right up to the plate for Matt here...

So I am the architect here... YOU GUYS are the ones that are building this....

This is already a done deal... it is all now just putting together the logistics...

If anyone out there has a really nice scope they would like to donate or sell cheap to us.. I'd like to send this to Matt with a Leupold or scope of his choice on top...wish we could make it a Nightforce or something of that sort... but we are a little short for that much.. unless some well to do forum member has one he doesn't need anymore...

I'll try and keep an up to date report on this as the gears turn...but it is moving quickly right out of the chute...

I'm proud to be on this forum with everyone of you guys!

I think that is a GREAT idea.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well the truck is pretty. grin Just teasing Matt. We appreciate what you are doing over there. I notice the 25th Infantry patches. I was in the 25th, stationed in Hawaii, many, many years ago. Is there anything we can do for you on this end while you are deployed to help out you and your family. Our church tries to reach out to help the families of deployed soldiers when we can.

Mart

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The check is in the mail!! (I LOVE saying that! But, THIS time it's true!) I use Quicken so you'll see it around the 10th.

Thanks for doing the 'leg work' on this.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well the truck is pretty. grin Just teasing Matt. We appreciate what you are doing over there. I notice the 25th Infantry patches. I was in the 25th, stationed in Hawaii, many, many years ago. Is there anything we can do for you on this end while you are deployed to help out you and your family. Our church tries to reach out to help the families of deployed soldiers when we can.

Mart

Thanks Mart, I appreciate that. There's really nothing I need though. My family goes to Wasilla Christian and they do an excellent job of taking care of my wife and kids while I'm gone. They send me goodies too. I bought my wife a fourwheeler with a plow during my first deployment, but she never had to use it. One of the men from the church was always over plowing our driveway after every storm. cool

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My check went out today in time to make the last pick-up at 5:00. I am honored to participate.

Another option that could be considered, in order to get a good 35 Whelen, would be to order a Shaw rifle to Matt's specs.

Let's try to keep this thread on the front page.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Has an action been picked yet? Like others I have the little stuff laying around that may help. Rings bases and so on.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Howzabouda Remington 700 Classique? Little cerakote, different furniture, some QRW's. Haven't priced a Classique but may be an option. Eh?

Last edited by Karnis; 01/04/12.
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Matt requested a Marlin XL 7, since he owns several of them as I gather... one in an 06 and then also a short action, I think he said 243...

he has given me the desired specs of the barrel...

now I just need to wait for the funds to start being received in the mail..

He also would just like to duplicate the scope he has on his 30/06, which is a Redfield 3 x 9 with the circle x reticle...

Several members have FFLs and are offering the rifles to be secured for their cost plus shipping...

Matt and I have also spoken on whose barrel he would like, and he is not particular....

he'll be home in May, and I'd like to have this done and available to him by then...

several other guys have also offered reloading dies and some left over bullets from their Whelans...

tomorrow morning this endeavor will be only 72 hour old.. and it has come together quickly...

I have been returning PMs as fast as I can, schedule permitting..I am also putting my mobile phone number on those PMs in case anyone desires to call me regarding the project here..

per the suggestion of another forum member, we are also going to start a second project for a forum member who has not been back from the 'Stan very long at all...

Will try to keep folks posted on this..and its progress..

it would be great if anyone knows how to ask management to allow this to stay as a sticky...help would be appreciated..

best regards
john chr
seafire

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BTT

Nifty-250

Yogi Berra
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just saw this!

You guys all know this is near and dear to my heart, absolutely count me in!

PM Sent

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM sent Seafire.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well guys, an update from my end...

have to admit I have burned up a lot of time returning emails...
this has been very time consuming, and I have BEEN LOVING every second of this...

Steve 7x57 has given me the theme for this endeavor when he said "its the best money I have spent all year!"

I really believe that...both financially and with my personal time... talk about a small price to pay for such a good cause!

but I also have to publicly admit, doing this has brought me close to tears...I mean I know 24 hour is a place where there is a good crowd here...and I knew that their generosity would step forward... but you guys have just blown me away...

I must admit that something in the heating ducts at home must have been causing me some allergies.. I keep getting all this teary eyed reactions... must be near the computer that I am getting these allergies... at times, I have to walk away just to get my composure back...

When this all gets together within the next week or so, I'll try to figure out how to report this to the group, its progress, how much was received...

if anyone has any questions or comments, I have posted my mobile phone to be contacted if anyone prefers that method over PMs..

it has only been 72 hours since this got started, but the results have been staggering... and I for one, want to thank each and everyone one of you gentlemen for stepping up and showing a soldier serving our country our appreciation in some small way...

wish we were wealthy enough to do something like this for each individual that we find 'in need'...

I salute you guys... with AWE and APPRECIATION!

thank you for allowing me to be a small part of this wonderful endeavor!

best regards
seafire

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always better to give than to receive and you've given alot.

Let's see:

1. Ideer.
2. Time.
3. Gathering & counting.
4. Posting updates.
5. Taking calls.
6. Making calls.

I can see how the allergies have kicked in when you've committed so much to an idea and see every ones reaction as validation of #1. Your doing good, actually gooder than good. grin

For me it's like Christmas all over again. A a bunch of Santas helping out, knowing darn well what the reaction is going to be when the perfect gift is unwrapped.

Woooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and a Red Skelton jump and wiggle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just love that truck! What a brute.

Matt, be careful when you get home and transition into normal vehicles. My son-in-law spent a year driving humvees and the first week he was home he high-sided his Isuzu Trooper cutting across a vacant lot. LOL

Nifty-250

Yogi Berra
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Every time I come home from a deployment, I notice my wife leaning over and peeking at the speedometer occasionally. I get so used to poking along scrutinizing every piece of trash that I find it hard to drive the speed limit. 45 or so in a 65 is about the norm until I get used to it. crazy The hardest part is resisting the urge to drive way around every broke-down vehicle since to me it represents a potential VBIED.

I just want to take a sec to express my heart-felt gratitude to all of you folks who have participated in this project. And especially to SeaFire. It's never happened to me before and I find myself in awe of the generosity of so many who have never even met me. All of you enthusiastically offered your time, money and posessions simply because of my chosen profession. It means a LOT to me and I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart. This will be a rifle that I will someday be proud to pass on to my son.

By the way, Nifty two fifty - do you ride motorcycles? The "high-side" reference clued me in. wink

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well today I was over at Sportsman's and have lined up a Marlin Stainless Long Action. We are getting such a deal on it, that it is less than I can have one purchased at cost by a few members with FFLs, and then shipped and then paying the 'fees' that are always attached to it...

The scope Matt expressed interest in is already on the way, courtesy of a fellow Alaskan who desire to remain anonymous..
and then was apologizing he couldn't do more!!! Its also a brand new one in the box, not a handmedown donation...

I'm going to ask Matt in PM a couple more questions of how he'd like this thing to be in the end.. got some help on standby with some custom stock work if he desires...

after that is the barrel ( the original idea.. grin)

and then just the wait for it to come together...

with that being done, then I will be focusing on contestant number 2....

I still feel immaterial in this project... as this is a labor of love if no other better way to describe it...

but the rest of you gentlemen have done this web site proud!, darn proud... and it is a personal privilege to be on the same board as you gentlemen...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Matt,

I rode motorcycles a lot for 25 years. Several years of fairly serious back problems took the fun out of it and I got away from them. My back is enough better now that I may get another one someday.

Back in the '70s I was a volunteer instructor for the first M/C safety course at Marine Corps Air Station El Toro, CA. Those days were before helmet laws, but the base required them. The PX sold helmets from $19 up to real good Bells for $75 (a bargain). I used to have quite a talk with the young Marines about the decision deciding how much their brain was worth.

Be careful over there. A local Shasta County Navy man died over there this week, the victim of an explosion. He was in bomb disposal, on his third tour. Last year he was named Sailor of the Year.

On a happier note, tonight I was pumping gas into my Jeep. A 75-year-old woman walking by saw my Marine Corps sticker. She asked if I had been in the Marine Corps. When I said yes, she thanked me for my service and shook my hand. She made my day, and I think my surprised smile made hers, too.

Nifty-250

Yogi Berra
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Matt,

I rode motorcycles a lot for 25 years. Several years of fairly serious back problems took the fun out of it and I got away from them. My back is enough better now that I may get another one someday.

Back in the '70s I was a volunteer instructor for the first M/C safety course at Marine Corps Air Station El Toro, CA. Those days were before helmet laws, but the base required them. The PX sold helmets from $19 up to real good Bells for $75 (a bargain). I used to have quite a talk with the young Marines about the decision deciding how much their brain was worth.

Be careful over there. A local Shasta County Navy man died over there this week, the victim of an explosion. He was in bomb disposal, on his third tour. Last year he was named Sailor of the Year.

On a happier note, tonight I was pumping gas into my Jeep. A 75-year-old woman walking by saw my Marine Corps sticker. She asked if I had been in the Marine Corps. When I said yes, she thanked me for my service and shook my hand. She made my day, and I think my surprised smile made hers, too.

That's too bad about the Shasta County man passing over here. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

I've been riding streetbikes for about 16 years now. I have somewhere between 100 and 200K miles on two wheels so far. My last bike was a pristine 1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing. I logged about 7K miles on it this last summer. I never ride without all the protective gear. (ATGATT) I spent 23 years of my life in CA and I've ridden all over the state. I hope to someday ride down through Canada into CA to visit friends and family then back to AK.

I echo the elderly woman's sentiments. Thank you for your service! It's always nice to receive that support. It always seems the most heart-felt from the older generations too.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Bump for a good guy!

Matt doesn't deserve to be 3rd page, even if we have already gotten enough support for his dream rifle...

thanks
seafire

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang right!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
eh76,

I like your sig line. I would think about venturing down there from Alaska for a hunt, but it's too cold for me in Wyoming. crazy

(Seriously! Coldest recorded temp in US history was in Wyoming!)

Last edited by AlaskanMatt; 01/05/12.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Matt,

Thanks grin not the coldest but in the top 10. I believe AK holds the honor of the coldest. Been to AK once to chase caribou. Beautiful country.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0113527.html

Keith

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hmmm... I read somewhere once that somewhere in WY it got to -86. Can't seem to find it now. Maybe that was false info. Either way, it's COLD! Where I live in AK it does occasionally get down to -30 but that's not common. Most of the winter the temp stays above zero.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Could be correct. Coldest I have seen personally is 50 below near where I live and that was wicked. 20 below is plenty cold. Alaska and Wyoming are very similar other than Alaska has more water. I loved it up there, you have caribou and we have pronghorn grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah, I've been through WY a few times. I drove trucks over the road for about 2.5 years. There is some beautiful country there. I have fallen in love with Alaska though. I'm never leaving if I can help it. We have moose bears sheep and goats too, not to mention all the salmon, halibut, lingcod, rockfish, trout grayling, arctic char, pike.... you get the idea. ;-)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
halibut...[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah, Halibut is good stuff! Well, time to get to work. My trucks aint gonna fix themselves. ;-)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keep safe!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good morning guys!

Bump for an OUTSTANDING cause! grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by eh76
Good morning guys!

Almost time for bed here. whistle

Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eh76
Good morning guys!

Almost time for bed here. whistle

Adding another bump..

Matt, always reminding myself that my son is a day ahead of me time wise while he's over there. Hope you had an "uneventful" day.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seafire, my check should arrive today, tomorrow at the latest. Keep us informed about the project. I can't wait to see the finished rifle. laugh

Sam......

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Seafire, my check should arrive today, tomorrow at the latest. Keep us informed about the project. I can't wait to see the finished rifle. laugh

I use a mail service due to the high amount of mail theft by transients out this way... I'll start checking the box on Monday...

I will also let those that made it obvious who the donation was from, I will notify them of receipt via PM...many request to remain anonymous...

The scope he requested is on the way and the rifle is on layaway already...

Now it is just boiling down on where we can get a great barrel and a fast turn around... for Matt.

Then I am going to start working on the logistics for Vet # 2...

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Glad to see things working out!

[Linked Image]

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Damn, I am getting behind on this deal.

Seafire, PM inbound.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Bump for one of the best initiatives at the Fire.

Steve

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

smile

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
^

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
PM's sent offering to Cerakote it when it is ready.

and a bump

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a damned nice offer on the cerakote, would be a good idea for hunting up here.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glad to see this back up at the top where it needs to be.

Hey Seafire...I'll ask Rick to make it a sticky!

Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

+1 on the sticky.

This is too important, and too good a purpose, to not be on the top of page 1.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
up

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE

+1 on the sticky.

This is too important, and too good a purpose, to not be on the top of page 1.

Steve

I Pm'd Rick about it

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm in for $20.00 to help the cause..to whom and where do I send a personal check.

Steve

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EQFD193
I'm in for $20.00 to help the cause..to whom and where do I send a personal check.

Steve

PM Seafire

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
eh76

You done good getting the sticky.

A lot more of the Fire will now have the opportunity to participate.

Steve

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Steve,

All I did was ask...Rick is da man!

Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keith,

If it were not for BOTH of you, it would not have happened.

Congrats and appreciation to you and Rick.

And for those who have not contributed, it is rare that $20 would go so far to show our appreciation and respect for the guys who have earned it, but will never get it without our contribution.

Steve

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm in. PM sent to Seafire

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by minnmarcus
I'm in. PM sent to Seafire

+1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gentleman in addition to AlaskanMatt , we will be putting together a second rifle for another member recently returned from duty overseas as a sincere thank you for his service.

and then just the wait for it to come together...

with that being done, then I will be focusing on contestant number 2....

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
What sort od barrel will the Marlin have. Maybe I missed it somewhere. Stainless fluted with a matching fluted bolt would be my choice.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just got back from a long mission pushing, pulling and otherwise coaxing Afghani trucks (most of them with bald tires and countless other maintenance issues) over a snow covered, muddy and icy 10,000 ft. mountain pass. IRT Dangerous Roads aint got nothin' on Afghanistan! wink

So here I am two days later, and there are two more pages to this thread and it's now a sticky. All I can say is I'm still very grateful to all of you, and I still find this hard to believe. I don't know how much this rifle is going to cost in the end, but it seems to me there's probably already enough to pay for it, so Seafire: does that mean I can go ahead and send in my donation for the second project for the other veteran?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and Matt proves once again what a wonderful group of guys we have here, and how blessed we are to be among such great folks.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Wait. . .Wait a second here.

I just saw this as a sticky and want to help out and it has done multiplied like rabbits!

I'm late to the party, but thanks to good work by MANY, I'll sing along.

PM on way to Seafire.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just spotted this thread. I'm in.

Thank you Matt for your service.

Thank you Seafire for the work you're doing.

P.M. on the way to Seafire.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm in. PM sent to Seafire.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Happy Birthday AlaskanMatt

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AlaskanMatt,

Happy Birthday , and also the best of the day and the year to you.

This time next year you will have a new rifle.

And well deserved.

Steve

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks guys, it's been a good day!

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gee....

Happy Birthday on top of it all Matt!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just got caught up on this - I'm in - PM to Seafire

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
as for an update of ALL Received donations today 1/11/12

I am listing the city and the amount received... I am not listing names as there were folks who wanted to remain anonymous...

Total received today added up to $665.00 and One Lee die set for 35 Whelen...

List:
1 Die Set- Seffner FL
2.$20: Culloden WVa
3. $40 Kittitas WA
4. $50 Wasilla AK
5. $20 Yorktown VA
6. $20 Greensfield MA
7. $20 Benbrook TX
8. $20 Monitorsville? PA ( 17754)
9. $20 Victoria MN
10. $100 Port Arthur TX police dept
11. $50 Heavener OK
12. $40 Longview WA
13. $100 Douglas WY
14. $20 Lake Elmo MN
15. $20 Silver Spring MD
16. $20 Gainesville FL
17. $30 Pt Townsend WA
18. $25 Palo Cedro CA
19. $25 Roswell GA
20. $20 Corvallis OR
21. $25 Eureka CA

I will also try to contact each donor via PM to acknowledge their donation but many did not put any link to their on line handle and their name.... I'll do the best I can, but if I miss someone please forgive me...

I want to thank all that have sent or pledged donations for this project...so guys were generous enough to say that if they project needs more donation to let them know... is that awesome or not...

It is an honor and privilege to be on the same web site as many of you gentlemen.....its an honor being a little piece of this also...

and remember, as soon as I get this one in the works, we are also going to do another vet who has already returned from serving over there.. another forum member...

thanks to all of you gentlemen and God Bless you for supporting this project and supporting our troops...

best regards
john chr.
seafire

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John, have you found a smith yet? if not, i know a guy or two who could probably do it quickly.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
several offers Marty...

where you referring to Tom Hart? or Mark Skaggs?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
And a big round of applause for the Port Arthur TX police dept for their $100 donation.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
several offers Marty...

where you referring to Tom Hart? or Mark Skaggs?

Tom Hart, or Dale Martenia... i work with Dale and see him daily.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
as for an update of ALL Received donations today 1/11/12

I am listing the city and the amount received... I am not listing names as there were folks who wanted to remain anonymous...

Total received today added up to $665.00 and One Lee die set for 35 Whelen...

List:
1 Die Set- Seffner FL
2.$20: Culloden WVa
3. $40 Kittitas WA
4. $50 Wasilla AK
5. $20 Yorktown VA
6. $20 Greensfield MA
7. $20 Benbrook TX
8. $20 Monitorsville? PA ( 17754)
9. $20 Victoria MN
10. $100 Port Arthur TX police dept
11. $50 Heavener OK
12. $40 Longview WA
13. $100 Douglas WY
14. $20 Lake Elmo MN
15. $20 Silver Spring MD
16. $20 Gainesville FL
17. $30 Pt Townsend WA
18. $25 Palo Cedro CA
19. $25 Roswell GA
20. $20 Corvallis OR
21. $25 Eureka CA

I will also try to contact each donor via PM to acknowledge their donation but many did not put any link to their on line handle and their name.... I'll do the best I can, but if I miss someone please forgive me...

I want to thank all that have sent or pledged donations for this project...so guys were generous enough to say that if they project needs more donation to let them know... is that awesome or not...

It is an honor and privilege to be on the same web site as many of you gentlemen.....its an honor being a little piece of this also...

and remember, as soon as I get this one in the works, we are also going to do another vet who has already returned from serving over there.. another forum member...

thanks to all of you gentlemen and God Bless you for supporting this project and supporting our troops...

best regards
john chr.
seafire

Thank you to all of the above!! That's already more than I've ever paid for a rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Happy Birthday!

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Seafire,

If it is not too late I would be honored to kick in $ 25.00. Please provide a mailing address/

Brett Fischer
Oro Valley,AZ

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Is there an address where I can ship a box of the only bullet a Whelen owner will ever need?

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
send me a PM Tony and I'll give out the address..

thanks

john chr.
seafire

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fisch
Seafire,

If it is not too late I would be honored to kick in $ 25.00. Please provide a mailing address/

Brett Fischer
Oro Valley,AZ

Brett just PM Seafire.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Will do.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
1/13/12 update...

received via the mail today:

1 Redfield Revolution 3 x 9 scope with AccuRange from an member who desires to remain anonymous from Alaska..

2. $20 from Zimmerman MN
3. $20 from Fremont Michigan
4. $50 from Reston VA

thanks to one and all...

Going over to pick up the rifle in the next days, when I get a hole in my schedule..

now the hardware part is starting to take shape...its an honor to be the 'control tower' getting this baby off the ground...

best regards
john chr
seafire

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Right now I am Flat Broke, Seafire, I think maybe come spring I should be able to swing maybe a box or two of bullets or something. Unemployment is really starting to get on my nerves never mind about going to the hospital twice last week for an infection that took a bit to get a handle on. I have a follow up. So I will know soon enough what my long term heath problems is going to be. Worst come to worst, I send the guy my 338!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
GM:

no worries.. we have had a solid turn out and support per usual from the guys here on the campfire... you take care of the home base first off... this one is covered...

we all can relate to wanting to help others at times in our lives, and there was just nothing there to be able to give..
there is no dishonor or anything to feel guilty about over that..

I am sure many of us taking part in this wish we could do even more...but we are all dealing with ObamaNOmics.. only the guys in Washington don't seem to care.. pretty much anyone else does, because we are being forced to live it..

I know for sure my wallet has seen a lot better days....

just hang in there my friend...Prayers for you and your family that bluer skys and greener pastures are in your near future...

best regards
seafire

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
GM:

no worries.. we have had a solid turn out and support per usual from the guys here on the campfire... you take care of the home base first off... this one is covered...

we all can relate to wanting to help others at times in our lives, and there was just nothing there to be able to give..
there is no dishonor or anything to feel guilty about over that..

I am sure many of us taking part in this wish we could do even more...but we are all dealing with ObamaNOmics.. only the guys in Washington don't seem to care.. pretty much anyone else does, because we are being forced to live it..

I know for sure my wallet has seen a lot better days....

just hang in there my friend...Prayers for you and your family that bluer skys and greener pastures are in your near future...

best regards
seafire

Ditto! Prayers for your finances here too. I've been there before. You hang on to that 338. Worse comes to worse, that'll help ya put meat on the table!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, I'm really getting ready for this now. I just ordered some Norma brass from Grafs and a box of 225 gr. Nosler Partitions from Midway USA. I should have everything I need to start building some loads when I get home on R&R leave.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Matt,

If you haven't reloaded with Norma brass before, you are in for a treat. The quality is superb. When I lose a Norma case in the snow I almost cry if I can't find it.

The funeral for our local EOD sailor was Saturday. There was a huge turnout to show support. Hundreds lined the procession route holding flags. I am proud that so many people are supportive of our troops these days. Sure nothing like I remember in the early '70s, thank God.

I pray for your safety, and the safety of many others, daily. Matt, every time I see your name I am reminded of a Marine pilot that served in the same squadron I used to be in. He was also from Shasta county. He died in a plane crash in Pakistan on Jan. 9, 2002. Ten years and a week ago, now. His name was Capt, Matt Bancroft.

Stay safe, buddy. Semper Fi from an old Marine.

Nifty-250

Yogi Berra
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Matt,

If you haven't reloaded with Norma brass before, you are in for a treat. The quality is superb. When I lose a Norma case in the snow I almost cry if I can't find it.

The funeral for our local EOD sailor was Saturday. There was a huge turnout to show support. Hundreds lined the procession route holding flags. I am proud that so many people are supportive of our troops these days. Sure nothing like I remember in the early '70s, thank God.

I pray for your safety, and the safety of many others, daily. Matt, every time I see your name I am reminded of a Marine pilot that served in the same squadron I used to be in. He was also from Shasta county. He died in a plane crash in Pakistan on Jan. 9, 2002. Ten years and a week ago, now. His name was Capt, Matt Bancroft.

Stay safe, buddy. Semper Fi from an old Marine.

Thanks!

It's always sad to hear about a fellow service member passing, but it's the reality of the world we live in, and unfortunately it's a sacrifice that has to be made all too often. God speed to those men!

I haven't used Norma before, but I know it's quality stuff and this is going to be a quality rifle so i decided to go with the best stuff I could find. I figure I had about three choices based on what I could find. 1: Norma brass. 2: Remington brass. 3: make my own from used Winchester 30-06 brass. I decided on the Norma, and I'm sure I'll be pleased with it.

I have the same problem you do with snow - whenever I shoot in the winter, I either stick to old mixed-lot pistol fodder I don't mind losing, or very carefully extract each case in my rifles and shoot only the wheel gun. I hate losing good brass too. Starline makes superb brass as well. I have some starline .460 S&W mag cases that are going on ten loads with no signs of weakening. Most of those have been full-pressure loads too.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, I'm really getting ready for this now. I just ordered some Norma brass from Grafs and a box of 225 gr. Nosler Partitions from Midway USA. I should have everything I need to start building some loads when I get home on R&R leave.

Interested to see how those shoot compared to the 225 gr TSX. wink

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Tony

I'll admit I've never tried the Barnes bullets yet, primarily because I know Noslers work and cost less. If I get better accuracy with the TSX's though, I'll just as happily hunt with them as the Noslers. It might be tough to do though, I've got a .48" 100 yard group with 100 gr. nosler partitions in a Marlin XS7 .243 and a .75" 100 yard group with 180 gr. Nosler partisions in a Marlin XL7 30-06. I'm not a competition shooter, so accuracy any better than that is really not necessary. It's still entirely possible that the 35 Whelen will like the Barnes bullets better though.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Tony

I'll admit I've never tried the Barnes bullets yet, primarily because I know Noslers work and cost less. If I get better accuracy with the TSX's though, I'll just as happily hunt with them as the Noslers. It might be tough to do though, I've got a .48" 100 yard group with 100 gr. nosler partitions in a Marlin XS7 .243 and a .75" 100 yard group with 180 gr. Nosler partisions in a Marlin XL7 30-06. I'm not a competition shooter, so accuracy any better than that is really not necessary. It's still entirely possible that the 35 Whelen will like the Barnes bullets better though.

From experience I know the Barnes works exceedingly well, at least on elk and moose. In my Whelen's they are also more accurate. This coming from a Nosler fan. You will get to try the TSX. Let us know how it shoots.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I know, there's a box of them coming with the rifle. They must be from you. wink I'll definitely let everyone know how they shoot. My plan is to start with some "baseline" loads as close to duplicating factory specs as I can to sight in the scope, then shoot groups with three different loads each with both the Noslers and the TSX's. I'll get some pics to share too. I only ordered forty cases, so my loads will be a bit limited until I start finding the rifle's "sweet spot". I got lucky with my Marlin 30-06. I sighted it in the day before my black bear hunt, and I had 8 different loads worked up. I had never fired it before, but one of the 8 loads put three shots into a .75" group and that's what I used on the bear hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Them TSX's are some goooood boolits. They have a tendency to leave two holes in anything you shoot allowing for proper ventilation and speed cooling of the carcass.

Last edited by Karnis; 01/19/12.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
As a vet and a forum member I am honored to be part of this forum. I am sorry I did not see this sooner. Please keep me in mind for any other needs, I want to help!
Thanks

Enough already, just shoot it!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lhead71
As a vet and a forum member I am honored to be part of this forum. I am sorry I did not see this sooner. Please keep me in mind for any other needs, I want to help!
Thanks

This will be a sticky soon I hope....

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6066355#Post6066355

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Jan 20, 2012 donations update:

I received 13 donations today, and one box of Barnes TSXs in 35 Cal...

1.Vacaville CA: $20
2. E Quogue: $20
3. Fairbanks AK: $20
4. Asbury NJ: $20
5. Franklin TN: $20
6. Burke TX: $20
7. New Plymouth ID: $20
8. Portland OR: $50
9. Curtis WA: $20
10 King City OR: $20
11. Sioux Falls SD: $20
12. Las Cruces NM: $20
13. Magnolia TX: $25.00

thanks for all those that have contributed... so far the contributions add up to $1070, plus a donation of a Rifle Scope, a Box of Barnes TSX bullets and a set of Lee Dies in 35 Whelen.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
More thanks to those who continue to contribute! I just got back from another convoy, this one was three days and I am beat! I spent about 40 hours in the driver's seat this time around. Not being able to move for that long is a bit painful for this 38-year-old. crazy

I got to push an Afghani tractor-trailer rig up over an icy pass though. (Literally - drove up, bumped his trailer and pushed for a couple of miles.) That at least made the trip interesting. wink

Thanks again everyone, time for a shower and sleep! sleep

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I can't believe that I missed this for almost a month.

Anyway, if it's not too late I would like to contribute. I have a check and a box of .35 bullets just waiting for a PM on where to send.

Glad to help. donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gentlemen just send a PM to Seafire.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Donations received today:

1. Marseille France: $60.00
2. Dro Valley AZ: $25.00
3. Menasha WI: $20.00
4. St. Louis, MO: $20.00
5. Elmira OR : $10.00
6. East Quogue, NY: $20.00
7. Corvallis, OR: $20.00
8. Palo Cedro, CA: $25.00
9. Omaha NE: $20.00

Total: $220.00

Project Status:

The rifle for Matt has been picked up today, a Marlin XL 7.
We are on hold for the barrel for 30 days or so.
Scope is in house.

Needed: Rings and Laminate Stock

Build is ready to move forward... soon as barrel shows up.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Okay Gang...

here is the update on Veteran Candidate Number one: Matt

1. A new Marlin XL 7 is in hand.
2. in the hands of a gunsmith who is going to complete the project
3. Barrel is now being waited for
4. Scope Requested in now in hand.
5. Need to line up a set of rings, which I should get done today.
6. When entire project is done, the action and barrel will be cerekoted.

when Matt gets back from convoy duty, we have a few preference questions to ask him..so this one is now on the way to coming together. the pixy dusty is circulating.. to use a Disney metaphor.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Okay, it's 1:36 AM. I just spent 19 hours on the road yesterday, and 16 today. Time for sleep. zzzzzzz....

T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hell Seafire, this is a great thing you've started. Send me a Pm with shipping address and I'll send you a box of Nosler 250 grain Partitions as my contribution. Tom.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
whats the deal with the second vet, what caliber does he want? Ive got some 30-06, 7-08, 300 rum stuff laying around, brass and such... sounds like matts rifle is well under way, just wondering bout the second fella

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by acooper1983
whats the deal with the second vet, what caliber does he want? Ive got some 30-06, 7-08, 300 rum stuff laying around, brass and such... sounds like matts rifle is well under way, just wondering bout the second fella

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...serving_Forum_Member_and_Vet#Post6062986

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
thanks i found it!

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I believe the caliber chosen for that one was 7X57. I need to PM Seafire again and get the address too...

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Okay, since last update, this week have received;

1. box of Nosler partitions from tjk..
Donations from:

1. S.G., Gainesville FL
2. AL Lake Elmo MN
3. "D.P", Colorado Springs CO
4. D.J. Green River WY..

thanks for the support.. according to PMs, there are still more expected to be received...

every thing but the work and waiting for the barrel should be done for Matt's gift of gratitude...

have some things in the Mill for Brent's Project...

rings and bases have been secured and should be on the way..
working on a couple of options on an action or might have something else, requiring less work in the long run..so that is still pending.. barrel is lined up if one is needed..

thanks to all who are supporting our 24 hour campfire presents for our 2 Vets...

oh and PS, a fellow Guard Member of Matt's is also donating a years membership to the local range up there in Wasilla...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My thanks again to everyone, Looks like I'm going to have a near life-time supply of reloading components to go along with the rifle! And a range membership... Hooah! Thanks to all. This just keeps getting better. cool

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well I don't know about a lifetime of reloading components... but you definitely will have enough to line up a couple of houses with a lifetime supply of bear skin rugs... grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sounds good to me!! cool

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
ya know... its not too late for a real bear hunters gun... in a 338/06... cool

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I might do that eventually. My affinity for the '06 may have me building a collection of rifles in all it's various off-spring calibers someday. The Whelen comes first though. wink

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just kiddin ya Matt... one won't do anything the other won't..

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
easy guys, the .35 whelen reamer is on its way... I should have thrown in my vote for a 9.3x62. Then we could have really waited a long time for a barrel.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hah, Seafire already tried to sell me on that one too. I've been clinging desperately to my 35 Whelen! grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You guys need 35 Whelen Dies???

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Someone already sent in a set of Lee dies, thanks though! cool

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hah, Seafire already tried to sell me on that one too. I've been clinging desperately to my 35 Whelen! grin

Don't worry Matt, a 35 Whelen is coming your way...

me and Matt Y. are just messin with ya..

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Work up to 60 grs of Re 15 with those 225 gr TSX's. Should go 2700 fps or so in a 22" barrel. Here's one after two Canadian moose shouders. grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice, thanks for the pic Tony! I'll be working with a throated chamber for longer OAL and a 24" barrel so I might be able to get closer to 2800 FPS. It will be fun to work up the loads and see where I end up. cool

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Seafire, I'm late to the party! Sending PM. Regards, Woody

Take a kid along.
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
PM sent Woody!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2800'ish shouldn't be a problem with the 225's in a 24" barrel. My .35 Whelen AI has little trouble reaching 2900 with a 25" barrel, it's the same capacity for all intents and purpose. I'm not going to tell you that I'm not leaning on it a little to get 2900, but the primer pockets don't get loose after 7 loadings.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's good to know. I'll be starting with some excellent components, including Norma brass. I think I can get there. This Whelen may wind up being a very good long range rifle indeed!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is really no need to lean on it. A lot of folks who've not had one call it a "a good woods cartridge". I don't know about you, but I grew up in the woods, and there where no 300 yard shots available...and the Whelen will do that with ease.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, there are hunting situations in AK that could call for a long shot. Open ground Caribou is one that comes to mind. Then again, Caribou aren't the most difficult animals to stalk from what I've read, so you're not necessarily limited to the long shot there either.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't know what you consider Long Shots at Matt, but I have taken some at 300 plus yards... I practice a lot with trigger time shooting sage rats each summer...and this is with velocity in the 2400 to 2500 fps range MV

and with the scope and reticle in it, 300 to 400 yds should not be a big problem at least with a little practice..

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
To me a long shot is any shot taken at an animal in which terminal ballistics, or killing power drops enough that precision becomes vital for an ethical kill. That distance is obviously different depending on which caliber you are using, and which animal you are shooting at.

putting the bullet in the vitals is obviously always a must, but when killing power drops with range, it is even more so.

That said, when shooting in the army I am capable of putting 75% of my shots in center mass on a human torso target from 600 meters with an M4 wearing a 4X ACOG from a prone supported position. A sniper I'm not, but I am a fair shot.

If I can get a known trajectory at a similar range with the Whelen, I would feel comfortable taking a shot on any big game animal save a brown bear with it out to about 500 meters. Caribou, black bear and moose all have a much bigger vital area than a human, so I feel this would be an acceptable range for me, and the reduction to 500 meters gives me more confidence of putting the bullet where it needs to go, especially since I'll be using more than double the magnification with the Redfield.

Brown bears are much tougher, and I would place my personal limit in range at about 300 meters on them. I would want to make sure the bullet is carrying enough energy to penetrate to the vitals.

Well, if that wasn't a long-winded bunch of disorganized thoughts I don't know what is! crazy

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Long winded?

you haven't read many of my posts have ya?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Long winded?

you haven't read many of my posts have ya?

A bit of a novelist are ya John? grin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I made the mistake of calling him once... I'll stick to pm's now! Just messing with you John.

And to make this an official update, we got the reamer in.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hey, My wife is thrilled you guys are keeping me out of her hair!! grin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sure can't wait to see some pics of this build I am sure I will need a towel or 2 to wipe up the drool!!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
bump!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, given the time frame, I'm guessing the barrel blank should be in in another week or two. Mack - I'm pretty sure I can out-drool ya on this one! And SFC Yates - if you ever decide there are some critters in Alaska that need to fall to a custom 7X57, let me know. Maybe we can put two fine campfire customs to work together.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
ya know guys... that thought of you two gents being able to do a hunt together is more than enough to make this whole project and effort more than worthwhile...

this is the best time investment I could have made all year ( well at least outside the family.. big year at home for my son graduating high school, his eagle scout earned etc.. I know you'd understand that ...)

bothers me that some of the gears are turning so slow at the immediate moment... of course a rifle build isn't like going down to Walmart or Sportsmans Whorehouse and buy one off the rack either..

on another note, the forum here has the "Turd" people...

is there a "Nerd" type people I should be aware of?
That would probably be more applicable to my sorry fanny... grin

Last edited by Seafire; 02/19/12.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good things are worth waiting for!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Seafire: I just noticed this thread today (March 3rd 2,012) and the only reason I can think of for my not noticing before is my lack of interest in big bores and the "35" in the title?
Count me in for my share (what ever it is) send me a PM or an E-mail (VarmintGuyaol.com) with my share noted.
On the way out the door to a gunshow right now.
Will check back.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks VG!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes, thanks VG!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where are the pictures?

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They are still waiting on the barrel - I think it was back-ordered. I'm sure there will be some pics once the built gets underway. Thanks again to all who contributed to this!

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
right now we are in a holding pattern...

still waiting for some UPS packages to show up.. and we are waiting on Matt, the gunsmith has to move his shop due to local ordinances...

once that happens, I'll ship off the components I have... I didn't want him to have to have more stuff to keep track of, while he has to move an entire shop...

and once he gets ready, he is giving both rigs a priority...

right now, we have

1 action in Colorado, 2 scopes in Oregon on their way being shipped back to me from some custom work being done on them, two barrels blanks waiting to be built in Montana, a stock in South Dakota, a stock in or on its way to Texas, a set of Talley Mounts on the way from Wyoming to Oregon, and action in Oregon...
and some bottom metal just back from some custom work on that also..

and the gunsmith having to move his shop in Colorado...

besides all of those logistics, we are coming along just fine...

once this comes together, we'll have two members with something to be proud of and a forum where the members contributed to a great cause...

then we'll see some pictures...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just wanted to jump on here and say a big THANK YOU once again to all who have so generously contributed to this project. I am leaving Afghanistan within the week to head home for 2 weeks R&R. As soon as I get the rifle, I'll post up some pics so all can see the finished product!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Godspeed!

=========================================================
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just wanted to jump on here and say a big THANK YOU once again to all who have so generously contributed to this project. I am leaving Afghanistan within the week to head home for 2 weeks R&R. As soon as I get the rifle, I'll post up some pics so all can see the finished product!

Great news Matt. Glad you are on the way home!

Sam......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks gents, I can't get there soon enough!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Outstanding news! Woot!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just read through this thread again for a bit of nostalgia. Thanks again to everyone involved! I have yet to take an animal with the rifle, but it's only a matter of time. Life and work have gotten in the way.

I work six days per week now, at a small flight school. It doesn't pay much, but I get free flight lessons! I am rebuilding a Piper PA-20, and it will be half mine when I hang an engine on it. Once I get that task accomplished and get skilled enough to take it "out there", moose and bears beware!

Happy Easter everyone, and once again: THANK YOU!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great to hear back from you! You are missed around these parts.

Post when you can, and go kill a big one!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Matt,

Thanks for checking in.. I have been wondering how you are doing for the last few weeks, not hearing from you...

Glad to hear you got a plan and are working it toward a worthwhile goal...

as far as the rifle project, I am sure I speak for all who were involved, but in a major or minority capacity.. I was a real pleasure for each of us...

My motto for your project and the others we were able to accomplish, came from a statement from forum member Steve 7x57...Best money/Time I've will spend all year...

Thank you for allowing us to do something of appreciation for you.. and thank you for your service to our country...

God's Blessings to you and your family
Best regards
john chr.
seafire

addendum: your 'checking in' made my day there guy!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

187 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,230 guests, and 882 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.