Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
New virus raids your bank account - but you won't notice

The best way to protect yourself from an online financial scam is to diligently check your bank accounts. At least, until now.

Israeli-based Security firm Trusteer has found an elaborate new computer virus that not only helps fraudsters steal money from bank accounts -- it also covers its tracks.

I hate crooks! mad

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by bea175
I lot of time this breach occurs when some waiter takes your card when you pay for dinner and write down the info off your card and the three digit security number off the back.
Yep.. Or they'll use a skimmer to swipe the card and steal the number..

That's why I always pay in cash in any restaurant in or around the Twin Cities..

Yeah, I had that happen at a restaurant in Austin. My bank noticed odd purchases and refunded my money. I had to go the bank and get a new card as they canceled the old number.

Good luck, Sam. Hope your money's refunded soon and they catch the bastards.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've never had it happen --- yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had it happen with my Cabela's card last year. They caught it right away and cancelled my card. Sent me a new one and all was good - somebody had been buying computer stuff in Texas after having tried the whole $1 charge to see if the # worked.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you look back over your purchases for a few weeks prior to the crime you may get an idea where your card was compromised.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
The problem is that Visa is making a fortune off us using their cards.. They need to figure out a way to keep us safe from fraud. BTW, I check my online banking/cards daily.

i dont know of anyway that you could actually prevent the stuff without making the card near impossible to use even by yourself.......only thing you can do is do as you do and keep a close eye on your accounts which everyone should do anyway and deal with banks that are quick to make it right when it does happen....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
... what Rattler said...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ranger1
Had it happen with my Cabela's card last year. They caught it right away and cancelled my card. Sent me a new one and all was good - somebody had been buying computer stuff in Texas after having tried the whole $1 charge to see if the # worked.

Why the hell can't the CC companies set their security systems to alert on a charge under 2.00? I don't know many people that charge things under five bucks! They could stop the card transactions until they could confirm if the charge was legit or not..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CEJ1895

Why the hell can't the CC companies set their security systems to alert on a charge under 2.00? I don't know many people that charge things under five bucks! They could stop the card transactions until they could confirm if the charge was legit or not..

this sounds great in theory......in reality in 6 months the CC company would have very few customers cause the customers got sick of always being on the phone to get their account opened back up....

i can easily figure out a system that is near 100% secure......however doing that AND keeping customer statisfaction high is near on impossible cause the first time someone goes to use their card to buy meals to show off to a bunch of ppl and i shut down their card cause of a $1.50 suspicious card i loose a customer even if i was right about the suspicious charge....

lot of what you guys want make sense on paper but implemented in the real world they crash and burn quick cause quite frankly ppl would rather have a bank that makes it right and keeps their card open than one thats more secure and always shutting down the account at the slightest hint of something being wrong........

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My son's account was recently hacked and cleaned out, and he's in the extended process of trying to recover things. Access to his account likely came through some Sony Playstation or standing XBox360 account. He's a gaming freak, and I seem to remember mention of one of those companies being hacked last year.

Someone about a year ago did a couple of trivial software and then movie ticket purchases on my credit card. I suspect that one sourced back to Dell computers, as we had done an online purchase from them about 2 weeks previous. The initial try was also a Dell purchase.

The typical approach is to try a couple of small purchases like tickets or a meal to see if a number will work. If it's a go, then they'll max it out in a couple of hours.

When the wife and I plan some extensive travels or high end purchases now, we always call the card company and give them a heads up. We had a card shut down when I was fueling in BC about 10:00 PM once on a trip to Alaska. Not a big deal, but I had to wait until morning business hours in the Central time zone before I could get things reactivated. I'm fine with them keeping an eye out for extremes purchases of sudden geographic moves.

I've also received calls from vendors to confirm substantial purchases, and understand their need to do so. With online activities, secret card readers, and physically handing our cards over at times, theft is bound to happen. To date, we've been lucky and never lost a dime to such activities. Knock on wood.

It's a pain in the ass to change everything, but I guess it's the price we pay for convience these days. Seems near everyone we pay bills to (power, cable, electric, etc) wants to execute automatic withdrawals these days. I have plenty of time, so I resist giving withdrawal access to others. Deposites, OK. Withdrawals, not so much.

Good luck with your stuff,

Last edited by 1minute; 01/06/12.

1Minute
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
We recently had this problem as well. It was no problem getting our money back at the Credit Union we bank at though. As far as where it happened, many people automatically assume this always happens online. However, the lady at the CU told my wife of 2 instances that happened to people who worked at the CU. One of them worked at Wally World and got the info off of a check and the other at a chain steak house.

It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.
Ronald Reagan

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Same experience as ranger1; no problem & issued new card. Seriously considered LifeLock; any body use it?

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CEJ1895

I had a card company put a hold on my CC account when I downloaded some books from Barnes and Noble that were under $1.00 and $2.00 a piece. I had to speak to a customer service representative to get the CC company to OK purchases from Barnes and Noble.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What burns me up is Citibank handles most of my auto fuel credit cards, and screws me up every time I fuel beyond a rather short distance from my local area, limiting purchase amount, requiring getting an OK from the cashier..., even though they require you to enter your zip code at the pump. After being lied to many times by their agents, I finally got the truth from one of them. They expect you to call them and get permission every time you drive out of town.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

354 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 30 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,449
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.