Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
This was at 100 yards with a long barreled 452 Ultra Lux...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

452 American 17" treaded....50 yards...Remington bulk ammo from Walmart..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is my CZ453 Varmint....

[Linked Image]

..I bought if after shooting this 50 yard target with my friends 452 Varmint with 36 power Weaver scope and using Wolf Match ammo...that is 5 rounds through almost one hole...

[Linked Image]

CZ 452 Scout with old 10 power Weaver...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/22%20rifles/GB041107023.jpg[/img]

Federal Bulk at 100 yards...the right shot was while walking the rounds onto the target and the others were all after one more MOA of left windage was dialed in...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/22%20rifles/GB041107024.jpg[/img]

My only complaint with the CZs are the fact one has to use Medium or High rings to clear the occular bell with the bolt...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was looking for a new rifle and heard good reviews about the CZ so I stopped at their booth at a show and handled one. I think I would give a review similar to but not as detailed as Hogghead. I just didn�t care for the roughness in the action and the trigger. I even made a comment about it to the exhibitor which he wasn�t appreciative. But if you like yours then that�s great, they seem to have a good reputation.

I don�t visit this forum much anymore because over the years I have seen it go downhill from, IMO, very insecure keyboard commandos that, again IMO, probably derive their self worth by dominating from the keyboard.

Because I don�t come here very often anymore I�m not sure it has been posted yet (if so, sorry to bring it up again), But this seems like as appropriate a spot as any. I came to this post because for a few days I have been lurking around Hogghead�s last posts.

Tom was a prolific poster on many boards and I had my share of disagreements with him on this and one other board. I didn�t know him personally, I know he could definitely have an attitude about his opinions as many of us do, and I know he had health issues. As posted on some of the other boards he passed away early on Nov. 23. After lurking through his posts on the boards that I am aware of, I think his last post anywhere may have been on this forum, Nov. 23, 0628 am.

So Tom, I�m going to agree with you on this one and I�ll miss your point of view. I trust that you�re hunting and not resting high on that mountain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtmAVGPEPSI

http://timeswv.com/obituaries/x646423086/Thomas-Andrew-Chase

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It is sad Tom/Hogghead passed away. It is nice of you to mention that here on his behalf.

IMHO, he was dead wrong about the CZ m452 rifle (amongst many other rifle related things). And it's sad he went to his grave not learn to appreciate the CZs as much as literally MILLIONS of their owners do every day.

By his own admission, he DID NOT shoot a CZ 452 at all, let alone enough to properly break it in . Just like the guns you saw at the trade show.

In the early 1990s CZ went overnite from a state run communist block manufacturer to a private concern that had to operate in the free market.

The tolerances and finish in their rifles have improved steadily over the last 10 years and even the roughest ones break in just fine with proper lubrication and use..

I always amazes me who folks can pick up brand new all steel and walnut rifle like a CZ m452 American at $400 and expect to be built to the same standards of finish as a $1,400 Anschutz or Cooper.

The last CZ m452 I bought was made in 2009 and merely by oiling it up, the action was almost as tight and slick as the Anschutz rifles I have owned.. And it shot just as well.

Last edited by jim62; 12/11/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Does anyone own one that doesn't shoot gerbil pellets in to .5" at 50 yards in a tornado? .... never heard of one NOT shooting Sub MOA here at 24HCF.

I keep some of my guns & reloading gear elsewhere. Last time I went there I dug out my saved targets (paper plates) from when I put mine through it's paces just so I'd have them for future reference. IIRC, I shot: 5, 5-shot groups at 50 yards; 1, 10-shot group at 50 yards; and 1 10-shot group at 100 yards.

I don't remember exactly when I bought it, probably 6 or 7 years ago, but it is a CZ 452 American with some beautiful wood. It has a modified trigger pull around 1 lb and I used a Bushnell 4200 8-32X scope, and I shot all groups on 32X.

Shooting conditions were: a kind of tunnel between trees in a heavily wooded bottom behind my parent's house. Not much wind gets down there, but nonetheless, I did not use wind flags and can't remember if there was any wind that day, but if there was, it wasn't much or I wouldn't have wasted my time. Shot off of a fairly heavy kitchen table with sandbags.

I didn't bring back the targets so I can't reconsult them, but last time I was there, I jotted down some of the better perfomers so I could remember things like, "Was that the Thunderbolts or the Cyclones that did surprisingly well?" While the rifle was very consistant as far as shooting nothing really bad, neither was it as great as I expected. Here were what seemed to me to be the top 8 performers.

Results are for 10 shot groups at 50 and 100 yards.

Remington "Target" 40 grain RN: 1.35" and 2.9"
CCI "Green Tag" 40 grain RN: 1.0" and 3"
CCI Mini Mag HP 36 grain HP: 1.6" and 2.5"
CCI Velociter 40 grain HP: 1.2" and 3"
Rem Yellowjackets 33 grain HP: 1.25" and 3.5"
Rem Thunderbolts 40 grain RN: 1.7" and 4.1"
Win Wildcats 40 grain RN: 2.0" and 4"
Fed Lightening 40 grain RN: 1.6" and 4.5"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As christmas presents to myself I picked up a couple of new rifles yesterday. One of them was a M452 CZ American. Like RJM above I found it necessary to get a set of high rings in order for the bolt to be installed. Also to facilitate installation I changed the scope from a Bushnell Scopechief to a Banner. Haven't had an opportunity to take it out yet, hopefully it will prove to be as accurate as most of the campfire posters have said.

Jim

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is pretty much windless today so I took the new 452 out for a trial. I only had a couple of types of bulk ammo on hand (American Eagle and Win. 333) but was very pleased with the results. 10 shot groups were 3/4" to 7/8" and some 5 shot groups got as low as 7/16".

A friend at the range gave me a handful of Lapua standard target shells to try. These grouped into just over 1/2" for 5 and just under that for 4 shots.

I've decided to ask Santa for a variety of .22 ammo so will likely postpone further trials until after Christmas. The way it is working I'll probably have to install a better scope and maybe look at some minor trigger modifications. I want to shoot it some more before deciding on these changes.

Count me as a believer in the CZ .22's.

Jim

edit to add - the groups were all shot at 50 yards.

Last edited by 1OntarioJim; 12/13/11.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have the CZ 452 American in 22 WRM. It shoots smokin! The other day was out in the woods squirrel hunting and saw one get on top of a branch. I like to shoot them in the eye, I could see the tip of an ear his face was on the otherside from me. Shooting FMJ CCI, held low to "bark" him off the branch. When he came down, I picked him up, through the limb, about 3/4" of wood, through the eye and out opposite side ear! Love that CZ, which is the 1st 22 mag I ever owned.

Semper Fi USMC/0331
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Not that mine has a bad trigger, but could someone tell what kind of Dave trigger ya'll are talking about. Just in case I want to get one!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Rimfire central will set ya right up...personally I don't like to fiddle with shims, sleeves & changing springs trying to get the creep out & pull weight down...a Rifle Basics trigger will cure any of them problems...Yo-Dave trigger is Red Neck engineering at its finest...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Otis
Not that mine has a bad trigger, but could someone tell what kind of Dave trigger ya'll are talking about. Just in case I want to get one!

The Yo Dave kit is only available at Ebay IIRC, Very simple to install and works well by removing the trigger creep.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CZ-452-455-..._DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2566dfee27

Last edited by bethalhntr; 01/02/12.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Rimfire central will set ya right up...personally I don't like to fiddle with shims, sleeves & changing springs trying to get the creep out & pull weight down...a Rifle Basics trigger will cure any of them problems...Yo-Dave trigger is Red Neck engineering at its finest...

Well - it is the very finest of redneck engineering though. grin

It really does work - but you have to confirm that you haven't gone too far by seeing if your rifle passes the "bump" test.

Speaking of redneck engineering...

Yodave doesn't appear to do anything for trigger overtravel (my kit predates Yodave). In case his instructions don't cover it - and they might - you can eliminate overtavel without disabling the removal of the bolt by cutting a piece of rubber tubing to fit over the trigger return spring. Slit the tubing lengthwise and cut it a little long. It takes a little trial and error to get the right length, but at that point, you can still get the full travel to release the bolt by applying enough pressure to compress the tubing.

With a combination of the Yodave kit and the tubing trick, you get a mighty fine trigger.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm a fan of the Automated Solutions (AS)adjustable sears- I've put them in mine and a couple of friends rifles. I like the ease of adjustment. I used their springs too.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.