Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Cheesy
... Next they'll put a 'deflector' in the engine that keeps oil from splashing on the cylinders that get shut off in V4 mode, something about this oil builds up on cylinder wall and when its reactivated the oil goes out the exhaust valve. When that doesn't work they'll do a couple of things, have heard they'll tell the computer not to go into V4 mode, have heard they'll put new rings and pistons in. Most say that this solves the problem for only a certain amount of miles before it comes back, basically GM doesn't have a solution, they're grasping at straws and trying to act like they're doing something. Nobody said what they do after the rings and pistons, but several said it didn't solve their consumption permanently. Google it, many many many boards discuss the issues with all the same conclusion.

I bought mine as a GM Certified Used Vehicle. Though I brought it in past the 12 month/12,000 mile warranty, they were still fixing stuff under the 5 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Since there was a service bulletin in place, they went ahead & put in the deflector for me. Then they claimed that there were leaks at the oil pan, transfer case, and rear seal (!), so they fixed all of those. When I got it back, the car was wandering all over the road, with about 120 degrees of play in the steering wheel, so I had it towed back to them (on their dime). Turns out they forgot to tighten up the steering box when they put it back together... mad.

And... after all that... there's no difference in my oil consumption. They claim that the next step would be to break open the engine for new pistons & rings, but they won't do that 'til I get to 1 qt. burned per 2K miles. They're really dragging their feet about it, too: I can't even get them to read the damned dipstick the way I see it.

I've got to assume it's not doing my catalytic converters any good to be sending that much oil through the pipe for them to deal with. But it looks like I get to eat this problem. Now I need to figure out if it's better to cut my losses & sell it now before the value plummets, or just ride it into the ground with the possibility of having to replace the engine at my own expense at some point.

I bought this truck specifically BECAUSE of the 5.3L engine - I didn't realize it wasn't the same as the one I'd had before.

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 01/05/12.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
..but I can tell you for sure my dad had hard feelings this way and I did not buy anything Japanese while he was alive..Yes, I see both sides of it..

So do I. My dad was drafted long before Pearl Harbor, had the "guided tour" of Europe in '44 and '45, was discharged in October of '45, long afer VE Day. He was very testy about Japanese stuff, when it began showing up here in the 50s and 60s (radios, etc).

Ex-Father in law served in the Navy, lost an older brother in the Bataan Death March, understandably was even crankier than my dad, about Jap imports.

Can recall when a bro inlaw bought his wife a new Mitsubishi Gallant some years back. Their WWII vet neighbor pointed out that Mitsubishi had manufactured the Zero and many still-existing Jap industrial giants like Mitsubishi, had profited from slave labor during the war, including GI POWs.

Much of that will eventually disappear, as WWII vets are in scarce supply these days.

Yeah, they now manufacture many foreign vehicles in the USA. In most instances, the profits go back to the parent companies.

I drive GM trucks and have had a coupla Dodge trucks. Lots of foreign parts in 'em today. Some are made in Mexico (none that I have owned). So be it.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by BIGR
Also I have read where the 5.3 Liter GM engine burns alot of oil after so many miles. I know a guy at work that has 2006 Chevy with the 5.3 Liter. It uses a quart or more between oil changes. Chevy place told him that was normal oil usage. Well to me having to worry about adding oil is not for me. I also know a guy that has a Chevy Tahoe with several miles on it and it use’s 2 or 3 quarts of oil in between changes. Just do a search on the net on this subject.

In the past few years I have lost faith in GM just for those reasons.

I've got an 03 GMC 5.3L ext cab Z71. 205,000 miles on it. Replaced water pump and both catalytic converters. That is it, since new.

Wife drives an 07 Chevy 5.3L crew cab Z71. 80,000 miles on it. We have put tires on it.

Her's is supposed to have the V4/V8 mode to give better mileage, blah blah blah. Hers gets the same mileage as mine, just right on the nose 16 mpg.

Mine uses absolutely no oil between changes, hers will burn a quart in 3,000 miles. Same as a contractor I use that also has an 07. Same as has been referenced on this forum, and GM just says 'tough'.

I had a 2000 Yukon XL with the 5.3L that gave me no problems in 186K miles. I replaced it with a 2007 model, with a "newer generation" 5.3L: I bought it at 40K, and just clicked over 70K. The SOB uses about 1� quarts of oil in 3000 miles, and the dealer won't do anything about it since GM's spec is 1 quart in 2,000 miles. I've never owned a vehicle that burned anywhere near this much oil.

I was done with GM cars many years ago. I'm done with their trucks now, too.

Were I looking at a pickup, I'd choose between Toyota & Ford. For another Yukon-ish vehicle? I have no idea.

FC

I would not be happy with that much oil consumption either. Wonder what changed between 2000 and 2007 to cause these issues? Seems like a lot of the excessive oil consumption complaints are from the 2006 -2007 year models.

Thanks for the replies!

Went to one Chevy forum that discussed the oil consumption. About a 10 page thread that goes back to 2008 when people first started realizing their 2007's were burning a lot of oil. The general consensus is the engine that switches from V8 to V4 mode is the issue. GM has a big long decision matrix on what to do when a customer comes in with this issue. First they say 1 quart in 2000 miles is their spec, problem with that is they changed it from 1 quart in 3000 miles when the issue first started. Next they'll put a 'deflector' in the engine that keeps oil from splashing on the cylinders that get shut off in V4 mode, something about this oil builds up on cylinder wall and when its reactivated the oil goes out the exhaust valve. When that doesn't work they'll do a couple of things, have heard they'll tell the computer not to go into V4 mode, have heard they'll put new rings and pistons in. Most say that this solves the problem for only a certain amount of miles before it comes back, basically GM doesn't have a solution, they're grasping at straws and trying to act like they're doing something. Nobody said what they do after the rings and pistons, but several said it didn't solve their consumption permanently. Google it, many many many boards discuss the issues with all the same conclusion.

Every auto manufacturer has engines with excess oil consumption, even Toyota.

Toyota Oil Consumption

Well look at that, page upon page on Toyota Oil Consumption problems.

Toyota has nothing, I repeat - NOTHING on domestic auto manufacturers and I'm tired of those trying to portray them as something they are not. If you want to send your money overseas and contribute to our balance of payments problems, go ahead.

Next up we'll hear from the "they're made here now" apologists. Make my day.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I bought into your line of thinking for 30 years, never owned a foreign car or truck until 5 years ago. I never realized just how bad US trucks were until buying the Toyota. The difference has been eye opening.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've always realized how bad the toyota's excuse for trucks were and I will never support a Japanese company by buying one. The toyota advertising hype is just that, hype.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JMR40
I bought into your line of thinking for 30 years, never owned a foreign car or truck until 5 years ago. I never realized just how bad US trucks were until buying the Toyota. The difference has been eye opening.

I traded my Tundra for a new Ford F150 in August. This Ford has more rattles and squeaks in it at 10K miles than my Tundra ever did. I traded it with 90K.

I love the power and towing, however in the new one.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2000-2006 Tundras are great trucks. My 2007 Tundra was the worst truck I've ever owned. Too many issues to list but it just didn't stand up the the abuse I give my vehicles.

If your not going to use it too hard then go for the Tundra, it is a great looking truck. It left me stranded TWICE. F the new Tundras! If somebody gave me one I'd sell it and buy something else.

The Tacoma is still the best smaller truck on the market IMO

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Everyone has their own opinions on things and trucks are no different. Most, including mine, are worth what you pay for them and are not really a true cross section of anything.

Up until a couple of years ago I had owned exactly two trucks in the previous 34 years. The first one was a 1975 Cevy 3/4 ton 4wd and it was a decent truck although it never saw 10 mpg. It went through 3 transmissions and the body finally rusted through. I did drive it until 1994 when I bought a new Isuzu 4wd regular cab with short box. This was a great truck on both the highway and off road hunting. It was very reliable, economical to drive and cost me practically nothing in repairs for the 15 years I owned it. The problem with it was it wouldn't pull my Wifes 28 foot travel trailer.

I presently happen to have a 2007 Tundra and it is a great truck. It is as well made as any other half ton truck and probably better than some. It handles the travel trailer well and it doesn't break me at the gas pump. It doesn't do as well as my little Isuzu did but for its size it isn't bad. And yes, it is MORE MADE IN AMERICA than any other half ton truck. It was designed and engineered in this country and United States workers got payed to build it. My Dad was also in WORLD WAR II in the South Pacific and he always said he could see the day when "Made in Japan" was going to stand for quality. I doubt that he ever imagined that it would be quite like it is today but he did tell me several times my Isuzu was a better truck than his Ford Ranger. I had to agree with him on that.

Now to be quite honest, I really think it is hard to buy a real bad truck nowdays. I realize there are lemons in any brand but overall they are all pretty good trucks. It boils down to personal preference way more than one brand being really that much better than another. I personally won't buy a GM or Dodge for obvious reasons. That narrows things a good bit and I decided on a used Toyota a couple of years ago. I'm not sorry and think few others would be either if personal preference didn't get in the way. I would probably be happy with a Ford also, but I doubt it would thrill me anymore than my Tundra does.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
V
VAhuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Once again, thanks to all who have shared their experiences with the trucks I asked about. IMO, any vehicle is subject to have a mechanical issue(s) and Toyota has certainly had their share. After owning several Toyota's and Honda's though, I can honestly say they were better built, had fewer mechanical problems, and had higher resale values than the GM's and Fords I have owned.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Toyota does have 2 major claims to fame... The worlds largest recall and leading the world in recalls..LoL

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DoeDumper
Toyota does have 2 major claims to fame... The worlds largest recall and leading the world in recalls..LoL
S

Yep! My 2007 was in the service department a BUNCH! I never had a problem with my first generation Tundra, that was a damn good truck

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i used to feel like i would never buy anything from Asia, and then my wifes car started having problems, so we started looking and she drove every thing, we really liked the 4-runner but couldn't swing the price tag she drove a trail blazer, escape, a few other random things but could quite find what she liked then one day she test drove a Nissan xterra and loved it but the chevy she was driving was dead yet. then one day we set out to go to Ft. Collins to have a lunch for her b-day buy the time we got to Markly Motors the car had no forward gear the little chevy had 58,000 miles and munched a trans, an low and behold an xterra sat ten feet from where the car stopped rolling we drove haggaled they gave $1500.00 trade on a car without a transmission and a rattel in the motor and we drove away in an 07 Nissan Xterra. in the 3 short years we have owned this car we have put about 40k on it, it now has 80k miles and we have changed the oil, one set of tires and and a tail lamp, it get about 23 MPG and is honestly the best vehicle I have every owned.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've had four Nissans, all smaller trucks, and never had any mechanical issues at all. I can't say that about the F-150 I had, or the older C-10 Chevy.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

DoeDumper

You might want to re-check your stats.

I am quite sure that Ford leads in total recalls with well over 20 million vehicles recalled, their highest recall year being 1996 with over 7.6 million units. Ford had a recall in 1972 that affected about 4 million vehicles. In 2005 and 2009 Ford also recalled about 4.5 million vehicles in each year. Do the math for just these four years and then tell us who has the claim to fame on recalls.

I don't think Toyota ever recalled more than 5 million vehicles in one year.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Looks like we have a close race! LoL Ford had the crown early on but Toyota has taken it as of late! Doesnt say much for either company. LoL Too funny... Many many millions recalled...

Last edited by DoeDumper; 01/09/12.
V
VAhuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V

Looks like we have a close race! LoL Ford had the crown early on but Toyota has taken it as of late! Doesnt say much for either company. LoL Too funny... Many many millions recalled...

Personally I look at it a different way. In todays lawsuit happy world, they almost have to recall a vehicle for any little thing. I had a Chevy recalled back in the 90's because a rubber seal in the wiper arm could leak and cause a possible short circuit of the wiper motor which could possibly start a fire. However, the next sentence stated there were no documented cases of this happening.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking back to about 1991 with our GMC/Chev. trucks, I can "recall" maybe three or four mfr. recalls on probably 7 vehicles? Most were for minor issues.

That'd be three S-body trucks and one S Blazer (all 4x4s); Two full sized 4x4s; The boss chick's '06 Colorado crew cab 4x4.

"Worst" recall, was for a possible defective brake light switch on the Colorado, when it was about a year old?

Mechanical issues, covered under warranties: Elec. wiring probs in the '91 S10 (pinched wire harness in console); Bad 5 spd. tranny in her '94 GMC Sonoma. Not sure if it was "operator error" or a defect, (free extended drive train warranty on that deal); Probs with remote door lock (rear hatch) on the '97 Blazer.

Bad tailgate strap on my S-10 ZR2; Replaced V6 intake gasket, same truck (35,000 miles); Two engine sensors, Fan switch/motor on '06 Sierra; Power steering box seal leak, same truck (replaced with new box); Replaced one emer. brake cable on the Colorado; New ignition switch, Colorado.

So that's 7 new vehicles over a 20 year period. Most had 45,000 to 50,000 miles when traded on another new one. One had about 60,000 miles. The Colorado is now around 33,000 miles. My '10 Silverado Z71 is now at almost 20K.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Let start by saying I was in the auto repair business for
over 30 years. All the trucks on the market are pretty well
made. Each has It,st own problems. Some are fixable some
not. If the problem is a major engineering problem, it
might not get fixed by the dealer. Dealers fix minor problems
quit well. You have to check with previous owners of the
model you are interested in to see if you can live with what
ever problem it might have. Check major features of each
vehicle such as 4 valve er cylinder motors, 6 speed trans
variable valve timing, and 8/4 cylinder operation. You
have to decid wheather or not you think a company can put
the reliableity you need in each of these or other features.
trailer towing ratings, rear axle ratios,brake sizes all are
apart of purchasing a truck. Think about what you are going
to do with the vehicle and then make your decision. My
best deals have been made with the Fleet sales person,
ask for him when you walk in the door. End of the year
rebates can be a good deal. Also check with your mechanic
to see what one he works on the least.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sidepass
Been trying to buy a Tundra all day. Been contacting dealers and asking for their best price over the phone and the internet.Seems they don't want to sell a truck, not going to waste many hrs running to different dealers to get their best prices. Once I get a fair price i'll go in and conduct business, in this economy you would think they would be all over me. Oh well,My beautiful 2001 C3 "Denali" has become expendable as it is all wheel drive not 4WD. That low range has been missing for a while now. It has pulled my horse trailer excepionally well but time to move on.

sidepass,

If you are anywhere near Terre Haute, IN, shoot me a PM. A good friend of mine owns Toyota of Terre Haute and I can put you in touch with him.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dubePA

Yeah, they now manufacture many foreign vehicles in the USA. In most instances, the profits go back to the parent companies.

Originally Posted by walt501

Toyota has nothing, I repeat - NOTHING on domestic auto manufacturers and I'm tired of those trying to portray them as something they are not. If you want to send your money overseas and contribute to our balance of payments problems, go ahead.

Next up we'll hear from the "they're made here now" apologists. Make my day.

Seems to me that Toyota Motor Corporation is a publicly traded corporation (TM on the NYSE). Anyone who wishes to buy stock in TM shares in the profits of that company just as much as anyone else who owns stock in GM shares in their profits...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.