Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
TwoTrax Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by cmg
You got the hunt all sorted out, then? Best of luck and please report.

Well not all of it, looking for a good pair of ankle fit hip boots now. Had good luck with Lacrosse in rubber boots in the past. Also unsure if I should go insulated or not. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the wishes and I will be sure to post results!

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Lacrosse ankle fit marsh waders on the left (the Guide outfitter).

Mine are Cabelas Neoprens.

Have held up for five seasons by now...

On the insulation - people differ. Some say socks and stuff take care of that. Others like some.

I think, most important is to understand, that you will spent likely a lot of time in these boots. Good fit with proper insoles and enough room for socks and pants is important.

Again, best of luck.

Last edited by cmg; 01/06/12. Reason: added

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ghost
I'd definitely go premium though, Barnes Ttsx, Nosler e-tip, North Fork. As one person put it on another thread, when you're paying many $1000s to go on the hunt, a few $ each for ammo, cheap insurance. Federal makes 338 ammo with the Ttsx bullets, but maybe not the heavier ones.

Couple 225 Northforks and a TSX (35 cal) from a brown bear.
I'd not sweat using the 225's in either bullet in the .338. OMMV.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Cmg - That looks like a good Bear! Tell us some about it and your hunt!

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LaCrosse Big Chiefs will serve you well. I've had mine for over 6 years and they've done good by me. I'll be getting another pair this coming summer.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks Akmtnhntr. Care to comment on insulated or not?

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It will be a spring hunt, aprox May 15 start date, 10 day hunt.

Personally, I'd go UNinsulated, but it's a preference deal. Depends on how toasty your feet normally are. Still could see snow.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on uninsulated ankle fits. Have used them for over 30 years, even sheep hunting. Although, I cringe every time I see that they are made in China these days. We need to bring the Red Balls back!

It's not the destination...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually go with the insulated since I tend to have cold feet more oftent than the average joe. An unisulated pair would probably be fine along with some thick merino wool socks if you don't have the cold feet thing going on like I do.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the replies! I ordered a set of the Lacrosse Big Chief boots, uninsulated but a size larger so I can get some good wool socks on with them. I do not have a lot of trouble keeping my feet warm, especially when walking.

Narrowing down that list!

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right on, I think you will be pleased with those boots. Then can be a bit tough to get on but good ankle fit boots usually are.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Right on, I think you will be pleased with those boots. Then can be a bit tough to get on but good ankle fit boots usually are.

I wore the LaCrosse uninsulated ankle fits for ten days, and loved them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Getting them on was a breeze. But, if you flood them, you NEED help getting them off. I almost needed a winch. If I was by myself, I think I would have had to cut them off. As it was, my guide pulled them off, just short of herniating himself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On the peninsula I recommend un-insulated for early fall hunts - including early fall and insulated in the spring.
the insulated ones have more slop and if you do a lot of hiking will wear blisters quicker than un-insulated ones

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with Phil on the waders. If you're going to be hunting with Hardy in GMU 13 during May, believe me, you'll want insulated ankle-fit hipboots on your feet. You won't be doing much walking on a bear hunt, not until it comes time to go after a bear. Most of the time you'll just be sitting and glassing and your feet can get kind of cold when you're not exerting yourself. As to a rifle and caliber, you can't go wrong with a 30-06, that's for sure. But, if you're comfortable with a magnum and can shoot it well and are intimately familiar with it, then you should go with that. But, bear in mind that it's not so much what you hit them with, as much as it's all about where you hit them. Bottom line is that the '06 will definitely slay any grizzly bear in Alaska and you'll be adequately gunned if you decide to take one on your hunt. But, regardless of the caliber your choose, just follow Hardy's advice and keep shooting till he tells you to stop. He would rather you kill your own bear than him having to follow up in the event you happen to think the bear is down or dead and not going to get away. Good luck on your hunt and have fun!!!!

T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks to all that replied, will let you all know how it works out!

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
I
I
I know this is an older thread, wondering if you might be able to PM me with some info on why you don’t recommend.

I
I
How’d your hunt with Rob go? Please PM me if you wouldn’t mind. Considering a hunt in that area as well

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TwoTrax
Thanks for the replies! I ordered a set of the Lacrosse Big Chief boots, uninsulated but a size larger so I can get some good wool socks on with them. I do not have a lot of trouble keeping my feet warm, especially when walking.

Narrowing down that list!

I prefer uninsulated, but if someone thinks they need room for socks they should get the insulated. Fit is important and thick socks do not get you there as well as insulated boots. I have seen some seriously unhappy campers that way.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
With the heat pads you can add to boots, vests, pockets would use uninsulated and add Grabwarmers. https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=E211US1439G0&p=Grabwarmers+heat+pads

Muck boots with the cuff that traps all the moisture are unusable for me, I want a top that does not trap all the moisture.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ten year old thread ...if this was the early 1900's we would be talking horses vs cars ...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.