24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang Bruce, that is a high grade gun! Bushed strikers, sideclips, trap, the whole nine yards. Kinda looks like a Kettner, to me? Great chambering, too. While drillings can be spendy, if a guy is patient, and waits for a deal exactly like you pointed out here, you can buy a very high quality gun, for a fairly good price.

Jeff

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While that one has some fine work on it I see no scope mounts or a scope for that matter.

The maker is not known?

I would keep shopping.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage_99
While that one has some fine work on it I see no scope mounts or a scope for that matter.

The maker is not known?

I would keep shopping.

Claw mounts could be had, installed, for a grand or so. Find a gun like that, with mounts(and a "name") for $3500. Good luck. I like a great deal as much as the next guy...but you have to be realistic.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff,

You know these guns well, and recognize just what this gun is. I'll also wager that the bore is .322 or .323, as in "S" bore. The little pin plunger in the extractor is a hint. wink

Some pretty cagey makers of the better quality guns made them to shoot all flavors of the 8MM round adequately. They used the .321/.322 bore barrels so that one could shoot J bore or S bore ammo. The J bore wasn't quite as accurate, but it shot well enough for the relatively close shots from low or high seats, while the .321/.322 barrels were exceedingly accurate using .323 ammo and had no pressure issues. That little pin plunger made it so one could use rimless ammo; it is the extractor for a rimless case. They are spring loaded and retract for a rimmed case.

Pretty smart, these old craftsmen. laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if i dont hit on a combination of meds this winter that help out my knee pain significantly im prolly gonna sell my CJ5 cause at the moment it hurts like hell to run a clutch and finally add a drilling to the safe....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here is a decent buy on a high quality drilling with some bells & whistles not readily noticed.

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=267498798

It has the bullet trap, an expensive option, and it is set up to shoot rimmed or rimless 8MM ammo. It is a bit higher grade gun, also.

Oh sure, I was thinkin' an under-$500.00 beater, and you guys -- all you drilling guys -- now have me lookin' and learnin' 'bout $3,500 guns!

Damn, that is a fine looking piece, I could live with the 16 gauge chambering, the 8mm however doesn't inspire me all that much.

Got one like it in 7x57/28? >grin<

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by boatanchor
cant believe such little talk on this topic about the Baikal IZH94. was imported for about a year by Remington by the model # SPR94 and now imported through EAA and USSG as the MP-94.
I own a 223/12ga and a 308/12ga [Linked Image]

Great little gun with a few problems. absolutely the worst recoil pad on the planet and brutal trigger's. spend a little time with one and you will have to have one

Bought one from Bud's Gunshop in .223/12GA. It is rugged, and it is accurate, but it took three men and a boy to break it open, and even after using some 800 grit polishing compound, is still very hard to open. Overall I like it, especially for the price I paid, $515, but all in all, I much prefer my Valmet.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mako25
Here is a decent buy on a high quality drilling with some bells & whistles not readily noticed.

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=267498798

It has the bullet trap, an expensive option, and it is set up to shoot rimmed or rimless 8MM ammo. It is a bit higher grade gun, also.

Oh sure, I was thinkin' an under-$500.00 beater, and you guys -- all you drilling guys -- now have me lookin' and learnin' 'bout $3,500 guns!

Damn, that is a fine looking piece, I could live with the 16 gauge chambering, the 8mm however doesn't inspire me all that much.

Got one like it in 7x57/28? >grin<

It's not a bad affliction, once you embrace and accept it! grin

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Jeff,

You know these guns well, and recognize just what this gun is. I'll also wager that the bore is .322 or .323, as in "S" bore. The little pin plunger in the extractor is a hint. wink

Some pretty cagey makers of the better quality guns made them to shoot all flavors of the 8MM round adequately. They used the .321/.322 bore barrels so that one could shoot J bore or S bore ammo. The J bore wasn't quite as accurate, but it shot well enough for the relatively close shots from low or high seats, while the .321/.322 barrels were exceedingly accurate using .323 ammo and had no pressure issues. That little pin plunger made it so one could use rimless ammo; it is the extractor for a rimless case. They are spring loaded and retract for a rimmed case.

Pretty smart, these old craftsmen. laugh

Thanks in no small part to guys like you, who are willing to share their knowledge on forums like this. This post is a case in point, as I'd not spotted the plunger in the extractor, and wouldn't have known what it was for right off. Thanks for the lesson! Learned something again.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That would cost you about double the zukes, maybe triple. A 20ga 7X57R would be at a great premium.

That Baikal of Mike's would work fine for your purposes. wink

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have to warn you!! Capeguns and drillings are very nearly as addictive as Sharps Rifles.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mike,

That Leupold on it makes it all look like a flower on a brick. laugh

The two Baikal 94 BBFs I have shot, mine and a friend's, were both spooky accurate for a combo gun. Given the triggers are less than great out of the box, it amazed me. They won't win beauty contests, but they work and are a good choice as a truck gun or a poachers pal. grin

I don't endorse breaking any game laws. smirk

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I agree with the accuracy part. With the open irons and 62 gr Silver Bear it was shooting 2" at 100. I haven't yet finished working up the loads yet, because I put a B&L Shotgun scope on it to see how that worked and haven't had time to shoot the loads with the scope. I'm hoping for great things. It still takes quite a bit of effort to open and close it though, so needs more shooting.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I looked at a nice drilling tonight.

16ga over 7x72r
Exposed hammers, cartridge trap, nice wood, beautiful scroll work.

Damn........

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Madmooner, how much was it? I bet you would have to give up your 1st born for a nice gun like that

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Actually, not too bad in my uninformed opinion.

$2799.00

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
wow, someday I hope I could drop that on a nice gun, right now stuck with a few hundred bucks at best for my toys

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
It was German. Just looked at it in the case, no one around to get it out for me and I was in a hurry.

7x72 was a new one on me as well. I'll have to look and see if some one makes brass for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Price: $2495

LINK

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Actually, not too bad in my uninformed opinion.

$2799.00

Mooner, that is about twice too much for a hammer drilling in a very obsolete rifle round. It was no doubt a very high grade gun, but the 65mm chambers and 7X72R rifle knock the value considerably.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
609 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.