08 Honda Foreman
06 Kawi 650 Brute

The Kawi is better at everything.

GB2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ed if I lived in Tax US like Bill calls it I would own a hayburner. Up here a ride it put it away is cheaper and less maintenance.
Heres my 2001 Polaris 6 X 6 there are more trouble free machines out there but it works for the country I use it in.[Linked Image][Linked Image]
We got a new trailer I can,t remember why!
[Linked Image]

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2002 Honda Foreman 450

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2006 Honda Rancher 350 4x4( manuel trans)

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt
I got pretty big into riding ATV's when the army brought me to Alaska. If any of you watch Fisher's ATV World, the Knik River Public Use area was listed by Fisher as being one of the top five places to ride ATV's in the world. In approximately 50 miles round trip (give or take, depending on how many side trails you take) you can go all the way out to the Knik and George glaciers. (looks like one glacier - it's where the two meet.) I've been out there more times than I can count. I always see wildlife, usually bald eagles, moose, sheep on the cliffs and occasionally a wolf or two. I feel blessed to have such a beautiful riding area so close.
I've ridden that area many times myself but I wouldn't call it one of the top 5 places to ride an atv. I can think of at least 3 other trails in Alaska that are better. I quit riding Jim Creek because of the idiots that ride out there and my wife won't have anything to do with that place. I've done the spring cleanup out there and the kind of garbage and amount they leave out there is flat out embarrassing. You would think that after a year or 2 of cleanups that it would remain clean but unfortunately that's not the case.

If you want a ride that goes through some beautiful country, try riding Belanger Pass and the trail that goes around the small lake on the other side of the pass. Beautiful country out that way.

I agree that it's not much fun to be there with the riff-raff, but I've found that very few of them venture very far passed Jim Creek. It's usually much quieter, and a much better class of folks the closer you get to the glacier. I also have the good fortune to have odd days off since I'm in the Army, so I usually ride in the middle of the week when there is usually very few people out there at all. It has gotten better with increased Trooper presence in the last couple of years. Hopefully it will become a family friendly place again. I do the cleanup every year that I'm home too. It is a bit depressing how much garbage is dumped there every year. I'd be interested to try Belanger Pass sometime too. I'll have to break out my Atlas when I get home and take a trip out there.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2010 Honda Rancher 420 4X4. 26" ITP 589's, back rack and Warne 3000lb winch.

[Linked Image]

My last bike was a Honda Rincon 650. I like my new one much better. It's smaller much easier to manuver and a lot quieter. I've always had great luck with Honda's so I stick with them.

Terry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Belanger is easy to find. Drive towards Eureka, once you get past Gunsight mtn you'll see a pulloff on the left or you can take the dirt road that goes back to a bunch of houses/cabins on the left. Follow the sign that will eventually take you to the right.

The Trail goes over a big hill, when you get over it and to the other side you'll see a lake dead ahead at the bottom, take the trail just to the right and it will take you around the lake on the left at the base of the mtn. Just follow that trail for about 3-5 miles and you'll come to a creek, it can be a pia to cross sometimes but it depends on water levels. Once you get around that creek the trail goes to the right and you just follow it. You'll see an old mine and a little further back you'll see a cabin. Watch for caribou and grizz too, we always see them when we ride out that way.

Or if you find the time, you could always follow us out there. We like to go up and stay in our enclosed trailer for the weekend and hang out at the big gravel pit near Gunsight.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2007 Polaris Ranger XP 700

[Linked Image]

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

2008 Rancher, wife is on a 2009 Foreman with ITP Mudlites, same Camo scheme. Son has a 2011 Recon with ITP Mudlites, and youngest on a CRF 100.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2010 Honda Big Red. Been troublefree.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by badger; 01/10/12.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As much as I like the Honda's, they should have called that one the Hippo. lol

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Belanger is easy to find. Drive towards Eureka, once you get past Gunsight mtn you'll see a pulloff on the left or you can take the dirt road that goes back to a bunch of houses/cabins on the left. Follow the sign that will eventually take you to the right.

The Trail goes over a big hill, when you get over it and to the other side you'll see a lake dead ahead at the bottom, take the trail just to the right and it will take you around the lake on the left at the base of the mtn. Just follow that trail for about 3-5 miles and you'll come to a creek, it can be a pia to cross sometimes but it depends on water levels. Once you get around that creek the trail goes to the right and you just follow it. You'll see an old mine and a little further back you'll see a cabin. Watch for caribou and grizz too, we always see them when we ride out that way.

Or if you find the time, you could always follow us out there. We like to go up and stay in our enclosed trailer for the weekend and hang out at the big gravel pit near Gunsight.

This post brings back memories. Not with a ATV's but with snowmachines. I drove past the spots you're talking about every time on the way to Eureka. It was my most absolute favorite place in Alaska to ride snowmachines.

Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
These

[Linked Image]

Or one of these.

[Linked Image]

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Those were sooo cool! a guy down the street from me had one and we traded for a day. The handling was different but once I got the hang of it I had a good time on it.

Terry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've only ridden out that way once on the sleds and that was about 3 years ago. We haven't had a lot of snow up that way the last few years but we are getting it now so I might have to get up there and do a ride back Horse Pasture Pass and beyond. I've heard that when the snow gets deep up there, the riding is phenomenal.

Steelhead

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I haven't gotten much into sleds yet, but I'm getting more interested in winter predator hunting and I'm thinking a good sled would be a natural companion for that. I'll probably look for a light-weight, long track machine that will get me out and back reliably, not a screaming fast race sled. Something along the lines of a Bravo 250.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would get something a bit faster that could handle the deep snow, a fan cooled 550 Summit would be ideal IMO. Plus it will give you the versatility of playing off trail and in the mountains.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once the snow gets deep enough to cover up the willows it's fantastic. There's endless rolling hills and valleys to the NW. One thing I really liked about riding there is in ten or fifteen minutes you're off the trails and riding in a powder paradise. You can take a break at mid-day and come back to the lodge for a hot meal, gas up and go back out.

We all rode big mountain machines to take advantage of the powder and off trail is no place for anything less. Getting stuck all day is a pain in the azz.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ride a mountain sled and am chomping at the bit to get out for a ride but it's suppose to be fuggin cold this weekend. I'll hit Eureka, probably Boulder Creek and Caribou Creek before spring gets here.

Steelhead

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,927 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.