Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6030845 01/11/12
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So I am thinking about buying a Winchester 1873 clone and need some advice. I am looking for 45lc but flexible on the caliber. I have a Uberti outlaw and purchasing a Ruger Vaquero in 45lc that's why I am thinking this caliber. This will just be a plinker and good looking gun as I am not in SASS or any competitions. Any suggestions on manufactures that won't break the bank? Anyone have one for sale?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Try here, they ain't cheap but they are good.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went through this last year. Not a lot of interest I have to say. I wound up buying the Beretta label Renegade. I got it for $700 from Woodbury Outfitters. I won their bid on Gun Trader. The Cimmeron, Uberti, Navy Arms, and every other one out there are all made by Uberti in Italy and they have other names on them. Any other seller, I'd have paid $400 more for the gun. My gun is a .357 because it is a lot cheaper to load for. All the cowboy action shooters I could talk to said to go .357 and use .38 Specials. I've been shooting it and it's flawless. Cowboy Gun Works in New Hampshire slicks them up and I've been thinking about possibly better sights. The bead in the front will cover a clay pigeon at 25 yards. I'd like a bit smaller. I'm happy with the rest. If you want the case hardening, you have to go to Uberti. I was just happy to have the gun, and the price was right.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Cool thanks for the info.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought of something else for you. I've been buying bullets from Moulton Lead. They make special conical bullets to ease feeding in lever guns. I paid twice as much for Oregon Trail bullets and these feed better.

http://www.moultonlead.com/

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Cool thanks, I was looking at the site and they have pretty good prices.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The beretta is a Uberti also. It has a factory short stroke kit. The ONLY 73 to own is one built by Winchester or Uberti. Do NOT be tempted by anything cheaper.

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the Beretta. As said in the post, they're all made by Uberti. Every one I could find. They have Uberti stamped on the tang too. It's just $$$ The Beretta has the short stroke and isn't legal in some competitions I was told, but don't care. I enjoy the heck out of it and my buddy that has an original in .32-20 now has someone to shoot against. The Renegade was the least expensive of the packages. I am perfectly happy with it and everyone I let shoot it thinks it's cool as heck. Bullets are cheap. Loads are subsonic and quiet. A pound of powder lasts all summer long. What's not to like! The only thing I would like are finer sights... and I know a guy!

Check out Jimmy Spurs page too. Lots of good stuff.

http://www.cowboygunworks.com/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Since the original M-1873 was never available (to the best of my knowledge) in .45 Colt, you may not find all that much out there.

Replica guns are made in a variety of models, styles and finishes, making them quite competitive in price. Look for a used M-92 and you can often find them for a good discount.

If your heart is set on an 1873, look for a 44-40, but be prepared to reload or to pay the price for the ammo.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
If you think you might shoot black powder through it, the 44/40 is a better bet, very limited blowback into the action. 38/40 is the same. 45Colt requires a heavy boolit and a healthy charge to seal off the chamber, especially using black. Don't get me wrong, the 45 Colt works with black, but it requires a little attention and you have to keep an eye on the grunge in the action.

If you aren't using black powder and like the 45Colt it would be a good hunting rifle.

If you are not interested in cowboy action, a Rossi would be a better, stronger rifle at about a half to a third of the price. Teh 1873's main advantage is that they are slicker than frogsnot, but they are weak, whereas the Rossis are pretty bomb proof.

Those Ubertis are pretty though. I have a sporting rifle in 44/40, always draws a crowd when I take it to the range, right purty!

"I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bboy80601
So I am thinking about buying a Winchester 1873 clone and need some advice. I am looking for 45lc but flexible on the caliber. I have a Uberti outlaw and purchasing a Ruger Vaquero in 45lc that's why I am thinking this caliber. This will just be a plinker and good looking gun as I am not in SASS or any competitions. Any suggestions on manufactures that won't break the bank? Anyone have one for sale?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

IMHO, forget the .45 Colt in a repeater. Too much powder blow back with low powered CAS loads. Go with an 1873 clone in .357 and shoot .38 spec brass with 147 gr. Moulton Lead, long bullets for the .357 COAL. If you are wanting to shoot black powder, get a .38-40 or .44-40, both rounds made for the repeater. They have thinner brass and will expand, sealing the chamber, even with a light load. People like straight walled cases like the .45 Colt, as they're easier to reload. With some care and a properly set up press, the bottle necked ctgs. load easily. The case needs some bell to take the bullet, otherwise the bullet can crush a case with seating.

My favorite is the .38-40, and reportedly it was John Wayne's favorite, too. Hard to top that.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
.45 Colt in a CAS rifle is a beginners mistake. Made it myself with a used, super slick Marlin 1894 Cowboy. I got tired of powder blow back and turned the Marlin into a 'diller killer. I removed the sights, filled the slots with blanks, mounted a Bushnell Holosight, added a leather comb and loaded 300 gr. lead and jacketed bullets to max velocity with top loads of 4227. No blowback there and it's a great rifle with a lot of power. Would probably do well on deer and hogs at reasonable ranges.

In CAS, you'll eventually end up with an 1873 clone, probably one with an action job, so get one now and you won't have to upgrade later. I would suggest ordering one from a CAS gunsmith with a good reputation. Saves a lot of back and forth time and saves money in the long run.

IMHO,

DF

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
That blowback with a 45 Colt really is a problem with low power loads. My first Cowboy rifle was a Marlin that I still use frequently with loads that are frisky enough to minimize blowback. I generally use rifles in different chamberings, 357 or 32-20, that do not have that problem. I do think that I would go to a '73 clone in 38 or 357 if I were starting over. You might want to consider 44-40 if you want to get serious about Wild Bunch competitions since they require larger rifles.

My favorite is a 32-20 Marlin 1894 made back in 1898. She is sweet.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'd like to see pictures of that Marlin 32-20 if you're set up to do so.

DF

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Here she is.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice, and thanks for showing her. I can see why she's a favorite.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hey. . . . .you are equipped for some SASS-style fun, why not go to one of their shoots and get firsthand knowledge of the nature of the sport? They also have plenty of experience with this type of question and tend to be very helpful.

Look up <sassnet.com> and find the local club.

I can't promise miracles, but good people and fun times with a gun in your hand are more likely when you shoot with friends.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Border Doc

Hey. . . . .you are equipped for some SASS-style fun, why not go to one of their shoots and get firsthand knowledge of the nature of the sport? They also have plenty of experience with this type of question and tend to be very helpful.

Look up <sassnet.com> and find the local club.

I can't promise miracles, but good people and fun times with a gun in your hand are more likely when you shoot with friends.

Great point, Border Doc. CAS is the fastest growing shooting sport out there, and for a reason. The CAS crowd is the friendliest and most helpful group anywhere. They'll let you shoot their guns, shoot their ammo, just to see the smile on your face. Hardly ever do you see the cut throat competition in so many other shooting sports, although they do take their performances seriously.

Check on line for a club nearest you and by all means, go. You won't regret it. Don't worry about not having the right duds, the right guns, etc. Just GO! The rest will follow... smile

DF

Another SASS Cowboy Opinion ,Regarding 45 Long Colt Caliber Firearms:
Been Shootin SASS for a few years.
Started with 45 Long Colt Smokeless with Uberti 5 1/2 Revolvers and Long Gun Model 1860 and a Antique 12 Gauge.
Currently Shoot Cowboy Frontier Cartridge Class (All White Smoke)with Ruger Revolvers and either a 1860,1866 or a 1873 Uberti all in 45 Long Colt and a Stoeger 12 Gauge SXS.
Also Shoot Wild Bunch Traditional Class with a 1943 Colt 1911A1 45ACP,Uberti 1873 45 Long Colt Long Gun and a 12 Gauge Chinese Model 97 Clone (All Smokeless)
No Issues in the Uberti 45 Long Guns but I have Cooked Up some Receipes that created a problem with my little 3 1/2 Revolvers trying to jump out of my Hands.

My Old 2 Cents
Hagen

Last edited by HAGEN442; 02/05/12.

"A Man's Got To Have A Code, A Creed To Live By, No Matter His Job"

"The Wind Is Your Friend" Man of Wisdom
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Welcome to the Campfire.

When you shoot Black and hit all the targets, it is hard to call that a "clean" stage.

How about "traditional and accurate"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

182 members (10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 360bull, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 28 invisible), 1,335 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,462
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.