-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone tried one? Especially the "5 man" looks very similar to the backcountry shelter.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've not tried one yet. I've read lots of good things about them, and am saving up to get one.
If you get one, let us know what you think about it.

Think direction first, then velocity.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The price is right, I might pick one up and give it a try.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My brother was thinking the same thing, I guess just one of us should spring for one and see what they are about.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I have one. I've used it for the past 2 years of deer season. I put in a TiGoat stove jack and burn a homemade woodstove in it with a TiGoat stainless 3" stack. It's good for 2 guys with gear and a woodstove. I've been inventive with my clothes drying practices and am thinking of new ideas for the small grommets so that I can use bigger MSR Ground Hog Stakes instead of the generic tent stakes provided. It's never leaked in the rain and only had it in light snow. It handled pretty good wind on the edge of a lake this fall, but I'm dealing with the Adirondacks of New York not the western high mountain areas of the west that can really test the gear that most guys have on this forum. That being said, it's good for moderate areas. I can't speak for areas where most of you guys are that requires more hardy gear.

Sucess only comes before work in the dictionary.
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I don�t know how to point to another discussion from this one, so I�m just copying here.

12/22/11 � posted by RJM52 � in the �Tipi/tarp vs. floored tent� discussion

�Last summer I was out with same bunch and they were again "tentless". I was in an Appy Trails MK V which is a lightweight version of the old Boy Scout design. Even though it is floorless I had just a piece of bug net across the doors which I had pulled back... That night the skeeters were so bad the rest of them didn't sleep as it was too hot to just hunker down in the bags... They didn't bother me at all�

After finding the Appy Trails tent, again suggested by someone here, I have diched tarps.... When it rains it is bad enough...when you get wind and rain it really sucks under a tarp.... The Appy Trails tent sets up tight and bucks the wind well...and there is no 500 feet of lines to set up to make it secure....

Bob�

Now, I will confess to a vested interest here� the Appy Trails tents are mine. But if you have any questions that I can answer please let me know.

On the small stake grommets, some people have put bungi loops on them to use larger stakes. But in buggy conditions this creates a gap between the tent and the ground. I would recommend either looking for longer stakes or double staking if the ground is soft or the weather threatens a real blow.

You double stake by putting a second stake next to the first, just past the tent edge, then tying them together with a piece of paracord or a shoestring. If you find yourself in a soft ground situation this can be done with a stick from the woods and a rock to hammer with. Or you can carry a few extra stakes for emergencies. This is also helpful if you hit a rock a few inches down and can�t trust the stake to hold.

I do appreciate your interest.

Sam
and "Appy Trails, to you..."
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Thanks for the suggestions on the stakes Sam. I usually only use mine during deer season when bugs are not a concern. I've been very happy with my tent so far. Have you heard of anyone else placing a stovejack and woodstove in your tents?

Sucess only comes before work in the dictionary.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Most of the discussion on adding a stove has been here on this site. You can chsck out
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...4/Re_Got_an_Appy_Trails_Tent#Post3192704
"Digs" put up some nice pictures, too.

Sam
and "Appy Trails, to you..."
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I still have mine (noted above) and it is probably my #1 use tent.... Planning on trying it winter camping, as in snow, when I get back from the SHOT Show...

The stove jack is interesting...Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I still have mine also. I probably use it 5-10 nights per year and I don't think I have been in any extreme weather yet. It has held up well with the light use i have put it through.

Digs

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,592
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.