Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I ride a mountain sled and am chomping at the bit to get out for a ride but it's suppose to be fuggin cold this weekend. I'll hit Eureka, probably Boulder Creek and Caribou Creek before spring gets here.

Have you ridden the Nebesna Road area?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ed, Nabesna Rd trails have been closed for trail studies for about 3 years. Went in there last year and Park Circus said they have been reopened with a trail permit. When I hunted off Nabesna rd. we called it the barrens for lack of moose. And there were always rams but most sub legal.
Sorry I thought we were still talking 4 wheelers!

But the country alone is worth seeing! And some nice local residents live off of Nabesna rd.

Dealing with PS has at times been unpleasant depending on staff.

Last edited by kk alaska; 01/12/12.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I rode a couple of trails off the Nabesna rd a few years ago while sheep hunting with my wife. Some pretty country back there, lots of sheep but not much in the way of legal rams. We had to get a permit to ride our wheelers from the PS and this was after we had driven nearly to the end of the Nabesna rd becuase we didn't know about the need for a permit until it was too late.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That's what I get for being gone so long.

Things change. PS has always been difficult. I think they intentionally recruit anti-hunters and ship them to AK.

Nebesna has always been one of my favorite areas. Yeah, not many moose, but it used to produce some BIG rams. Hopefully that will come back.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll definitley be going back down there again to ride but will probably skip the hunting. Like I said, beautiful country down that way.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2007 polaris 500x2 deluxe limited edition

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by passport
For guad sake man, get some mud on that thing!

Oh, I have . . .

Had to take a pic of it like that (new), 'cause they never look that good again!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just thought this might be a good place to ask.... My son has a Yamaha Grizzly 80 that I bought him when he was 7. He's 12 now and although his skills have progressed to the point that he can get that little thing into some amazing places, I think he's ready to move up to something bigger and a 4X4. He's a bit on the small size for his age though, so light weight is a plus. I'll be buying used, so reliability is also a must. Any recommendations from ya'll?

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems like a Honda Recon - though they are only 2X4 might be the way to go.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
4X4 is a must, some of the places I take him on hunting trips just aren't passable without it. I typically use 2WD on my Grizzly, but it's big enough with huge tires to get through. His is going to be small enough that he'll need the 4X4 to make up for lack of ground clearance.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My ride is a Camo 2011 CanAm Outlander 800 with XMR intake, Crutchfield shocks and Ricochet skid plates. It is my second Outlander. It's a spectacular machine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by deflave
Get your dick out of that rooster and go to church.

Travis
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
We have some Honda's and I have a Polaris 6 wheeler with a dump bed, that is handy some especially on the ranch, hunting we ride mules (the ones with 4 hooves!)

I ride mules, hunt every chance I can, and even take my husband with me!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What you doing on here Nancy? Good to hear from you.

Vince

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Stumbled on this searching some saddle histories, and bingo look, there ya are... this place is great! I think I recognize some of that Flattops !

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Our oldtimers and outlaw group kinda got scattered...

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Ladymulerider

Well then, round 'em all up and bring em here. Believe me - this is a top - notch place to hang out! cool

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I know, it is the best of all things, huntin, horses, guns, ammo, and dry wit!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Ladymulerider

Yea, Hal,Lonnie,Steve and I are about the only ones still talkin I guess.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[Linked Image]

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
611 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.