Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow Campfire Members;
Since starting out here a few years and a few thousand posts ago I've noted that many folks have the same questions about planning a hunt up here.

A recent thread on the subject which resulted some very useful replies from a few of my Canuck brethren here - thanks again to each and every one of you - gave me this idea, so we'll see where if anywhere it takes us.

I propose here a thread in which either 'Fire members who've been up to Canada hunting or those of us from here give some helpful tips and information links - as a sort of starting reference point if you will.

I'd ask up front here though that we refrain from anything that would be construed as advertising for a particular guide or outfitter unless they are a paying advertiser. This would be out of respect for Rick.

The other thought I had for parameters would be that it may be useful if contributors used a header of either "Canada" for generic information or for instance "British Columbia" for specific information to a given hunting destination.

Without further preamble then, I'll attempt a beginning here with this.

CANADA

Unlike some other places in the world, our firearm regulation is the same for all of Canada (up to today anyway - long story laugh )

A couple of links that may be helpful for visiting hunters.

The website for Canadian Border Services, who are the first folks you'll be dealing with when you enter here.

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/menu-eng.html

The website for the Canadian Firearms Program, which is run by the RCMP and will dictate what type of firearm you can bring with you to hunt here.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm

That is an admittedly brief beginning, but as mentioned we'll see where this might go.

Thanks in advance to all who will contribute.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/14/12. Reason: added info

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
British Columbia:

In BC most non Canadian residents are required to hire the services of a guide to hunt.

The first order of business I'd suggest is to see if the guide you're talking to is a member of the Guide Outfitters Association of BC.

http://www.goabc.org/

If you are driving up here or are flying in and renting a vehicle and doing a bit of road time here, this is one of the BC websites for information on traveling here.

http://www.travel.bc.ca/

For specific road conditions, this site is very good to know about.

http://www.drivebc.ca/

Finally, even though the outfitter will be responsible for you while you hunt up here, it never hurts to know the rules and I'd recommend a quick look at this site which gives the hunting regulations for the entire province.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

Our hunting regulations are admittedly a bit much to read, but once you know the geographic location of your hunt, a quick read of the beginning of the regs and then the specifics for the region being hunted are pretty simple.

I'll offer that anyone having an issue with the BC regs is welcome to PM me and I'll do my best to help you with them. I'm a certified Hunter Safety Examiner here so theoretically if I can teach the regs I'm supposed to be able to interpret them as well! laugh

Some of the standard advice I give folks coming up for a hunt.

- Ask the outfitter for references of both hunters who shot game and those who didn't. Then by all means call those folks and ask questions.

- Get in the best physical shape you possibly can as much of our part of the world can be very vertical.

- In the same vein as above, ask your outfitter what kind of shape they expect you to be in and be brutally honest with them about that.

- Practice shooting whatever tool you are bringing up here in as much as possible. In particular practice shooting from "field positions". The most common complaint my friends who guide have with visiting hunters is that they come here unprepared to shoot from anything other than perfect range type conditions. Being able to shoot well and in a timely manner from all shooting positions will often make the difference between killing an animal or going home without.

Well, that's all for now. Hopefully others will join in with good advice and thanks in advance to all who do so.

Regards,
Dwayne

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Dwayne, great idea (it seems most things I read on your posts are well reasoned and reasonable and very easy to agree with) I will start pulling some Alberta sites together and post them on this page. GRF

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
http://www.ama.ab.ca/road-reports/highways

AMA road reports

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Hunting/Default.aspx

My Wild Alberta website gives access to all kinds of information about hunting in Alberta including hunting regulations and draw statistics. It also has access to Alberta RELM the site where you can apply for draws, check status of draws and buy your hunting license and your WIN card (Wildlife Information Number)which you need to buy a hunting or fishing license and to apply for draws.

This website is a must visit for anyone considering hunting in Alberta.

http://www.apos.ab.ca/

Is the website for the Alberta Professional Outfitters Society. As a non resident or non resident alien you must hunt with either a guide or hunter host in the province of Alberta.

Dwayne anything else you think I should add? Thanks GRF

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
GRF;
Thanks very much for your contribution sir I appreciate it.

At this point I can't think of anything else that you might have added.

In all honesty I'm not sure where I'd hoped this would lead, but thought the old "nothing ventured, nothing gained" may well apply - hence the attempt made here. grin

Thanks again and all the best to you and your fine family in 2012.

Dwayne

IC B2

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the kind wishes and the best to you and yours in 2012 as well. GRF

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow Fire members;
A couple other things occurred to me regarding this topic, so in no particular order here they are.

British Columbia:

When fueling up here, be forewarned that all stations are either set up for prepayment or pay at the pump. Although I understand some folks don't like that much, it's the law and they have no choice in the matter.

Speaking of fuel, the diesel is low sulfur and compatible with the newer engines. Actually the fuel quality of both types is quite good up here, but most US members will find the prices shocking - unless they are from rural Alaska and heading back home. wink

Canada;

I wasn't going to mention this subject seeing as it's been the source of more than one heated international debate here, but here goes anyway.

Healthcare - isn't that bad up here, but you really want to talk to your insurance provider to see what they will cover if something does go sideways on you.

I'd think that the farther off the beaten path you plan to hunt, the more questions you want to ask your insurance provider. The last thing you would need on a hunt is to pay for an air ambulance flight out of pocket - well or close to last anyway.

Hopefully some of this is a useful base for planning a hunt here in Canada. All the best luck to those who might be doing so.

Regards,
Dwayne

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
For those who have not been here for a while check the exchange rate, we are right around par not the .65 cent dollar of years past.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dwayne,
Great idea. I'll make the same offer wrt Alberta regs about sorting out queries as I am an AB Hunter Safety Ed instructor and Fishing Education program instructor.

If you are planning a hunt in AB and there is a chance to include fishing, do it! Be aware that ALL fishing in Alberta is barbless hooks only. At present the hook on the end of your line must be barbless but the ones in your tackle box/fly vest etc can still be barbed. It is important that you remember to pinch the barb before tying it to your line as the CO's have no mercy.

The Hunter Host program is an excellent program BUT it can be complicated to workout the details. If you have family or a good friend here it is very worthwhile utilizing it. You must be aware though that absolutely NO money or goods can change hands. No trip trading either. Very worthwhile opportunity to check out.

As GRF mentions, My Wild Alberta is an excellent portal to everything outdoors related.

Another excellent source of info is the Alberta Conservation Association where I sit on the BOD. We have a couple of free publications which would also assist in a trip to Alberta. One is the Discovery Guide. It lists where all the properties that are owned by the various conservation orgs in Alberta are located and the types of activities that are allowed. These are open to the public, day use, foot access only lands. Published annually
The other pub is called Conservation, it is published twice a year and outlines the research and habitat projects that the ACA and partner/member groups undertake. Excellent background info. Both pubs are avail online or in hardcopy @ www.ab-conservation.com
There is also an app for the Discovery Guide.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey, troutfly great website, I have yet to find this on my searches great add on. Thanks GRF

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
GRF: Thanks. I'm into my 6th and final year on the ACA BOD. As I sit as Public at Large I am limited to 2 three year terms.
The website was totally revamped a few years back. Even sitting on the Board and having access to all kinds of info I will often find myself looking at it. The folks that do the work are very commited to conservation and do a great job IMHO.
If you get the chance to visit the properties in the Guide you will find they are top notch habitat in need of protection which is why we acquired them.
Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing I can add .

If you are going to Canada take your expensive belongings , you gun ,your optics, your camera, and the like to the nearest customs and border patrol office . Fill out form 4457 http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4457.pdf This is a declaration for showing you took it with you . On my first time up I knew about the Canadian forms I needed for my gun and had them , however I did not know about this form from the USA. When I got back to US Customs they were looking and my brand new custom I had built for the hunt saying "how do I know your not importing this gun?" and yes they can confiscate your gun. Thank the Lord I had the Canadian forms showing I brought it in with me . This form is for any expensive personal effects they will need to verify the serial # and stamp the form. It is good for 5 years I think.

US Fish and wildlife
If you harvest an animal you will need to have these forms with you . Filling them out before you get to customs will make your life much more pleasant. It is Declarations form 3-177 http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/Info_Importers_Exporters.htm

bringing your meat home
Currently there are no restrictions but check the day before you leave with USDA/ FDA/USF&W. TSA always checks it and my horns.
You must have your hunting license handy at the customs counter to prove that you are the hunter and that this meat is for your personal consumption .

I usually fill in these forms for the intended species I am hunting and print them out at home this way its done and all I have to do is sign it if I get something.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Jeff I will most certainly check them out.

Wildone thanks for the input things a canuck would not have thought of.

GRF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love the real Canada its a great place, You know everything west of Quebec. smile LOL

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For you guys hunting bear and wolf among other things: www.cites.org would be of importance.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by wildone
I love the real Canada its a great place, You know everything west of Quebec. smile LOL

I know we like to pick on Quebec but it has some great hunting and fishing. I dream of visiting the Gaspe with my fly rod in one hand and a Wheatly fly box full of dry Wulff patterns in the other. There is incredible fishing for Atlantic salmon there.
Get away from the urban areas of Quebec and the people are pretty real.
But ya the West rocks!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bump. There must be more we can add as Canada is a fairly big place.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have to say I have hunted Quebec for Caribou. I could not have timed it more perfectly . If I didn't see 5000 caribou that trip I would be surprised, it was amazing! Great country up there and the lake trout were nothing but pure fun.Have been to BC,AB,SK and QE and loved every trip thanks for sharing with me guys , you have no idea what this stuff really means to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
remember your are heading NORTH hunting seasons are eariler and Colder,think of open windy plains or mountains that can create there own weather,be over prepared rather than underprepared,makes for a better time.
good hunting
norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow Campfire Members:
I'm going to bump this one to the top as there have been a couple of threads lately specifically asking for information regarding hunts in BC - bear and moose.

The other bit of new information that I'll share and please note that this is just my opinion on the matter and nothing more.

Since it now appears that our infamous long gun registry is being put down, there have been a number of inquiries here and elsewhere as to how that will affect visiting hunters or folks just passing through who wish to travel with firearms.

If it were me, I'd suggest that the visiting hunters follow the above links and obtain the very latest information posted there.

Then if at all possible I'd print copies of what the sites say for the requirements of a visiting hunter and have that, along with the websites ready in hand when you hit Canadian Border Services.

While I might be overlooking something, it wouldn't surprise me if there is a bit of confusion by all branches of LEO for the first while here as to what they are and aren't enforcing anymore.

As many - even most LEO in Canada aren't "gun folks" - it might be a small way to help smooth the crossing out. Sometimes a bit of printed information and a way to go to the source can really speed up everyone's day.

Hopefully that is some use to someone out there. Good luck on your hunts folks and welcome to Canada.

Regards,
Dwayne

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow Campfire Members:
I'm going to bump this one to the top yet again as there have been a couple of threads lately specifically asking for information regarding hunts in Canada - bear and moose.

While the long gun registry is indeed now dead, I'm not entirely clear as of today what effect this will have on visiting hunters.

I am doing my best to find links to factual information on the subject and will post them here as I find them.

Again, hopefully this can be useful information for some of our friends at the 'Fire who are in the beginning stages of planning a hunt on this side of the medicine line.

Regards,
Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dwayne,

Just a thought but it might be worth mentioning to anyone interested in coming to Canada that when they have decided which Province they prefer to hunt they probably couldn't go wrong in PM'ing one of the high number posters from that Province if they feel they need help.

From following the campfire for quite a few years it seems most of the frequent posters are they types who would be happy to give advice and assistance to those who ask for it. The only problem here is that some of the poster do not identify exactly where they are from.

Is Rick likely to make a sticky of this information?

Jim

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Jim;
I hope this finds you doing well thus far in this somewhat late and cool spring - well it is such here anyway. frown

Thanks for your suggestion Jim, I do think it's a good one and I for one would certainly do my best to help out any hunters heading up into BC for a hunt.

As a by the way, we are in the south central part of BC not all that far from Washington State. Truly our area isn't really known for the hunting, we're more known as a summer beach and wine tour area or winter ski destination. That said, I'll do my best to help out as best as I can.

Thanks again for the suggestion Jim and all the best to you folks this spring.

Regards,
Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dwayne, thanks for the reply.

One question you didn't answer was, is Rick likely to make this a sticky? Possibly you do not know the answer. To my mind it would be silly to gather a lot of information and then let it all disappear into the forest of "old" threads.

In the past I have tried to help out with information concerning things I know about hunting in certain areas of Ontario. Sometimes this is difficult for the following reasons.

A certain amount of responsibility has to fall onto the shoulders of those making the inquiries. So often an inquiry starts out "I want to hunt ..... (fill in animal) in ..... (fill in state or province), where should I go?" This doesn't tell us whether they want guided or unguided, trophy or meat hunting, amount of time available for a hunt, amount of money the person feels they can spend, size of party (one person or a group), sometimes not even the origin of the hunter making the inquiry.

For example, if I know someone from the east coast of the US wants to hunt moose my first suggestion if they want a high probability of being succesful regardless of moose size would be Newfoundland. Often the posters have nothing in their identification as to which part of the country they hail from. In these cases the info usually isn't even shown in their profile. This leaves the potential helpers in the position of trying to dig out all kinds of detail before they can even begin to help.

Hey guys, if you want help, then help us with details right off the bat. If some one is inquiring about Ontario they must realize that to drive from one side of Ontario to the other it may take 4 or 5 days. Do they wish to fly or to drive and haul meat?

I have a daughter living in Calgary and friends in Kelowna, BC. Not far in mileage but due to the road system the drive takes the best part of a day. Obviously a person who is not familiar with the province would not understand this thus point of origin has a big bearing on what may be suggested.

Much of this seems obvious but based on many inquiries I have read here it is often overlooked.

Just some more random thoughts on things which need to be considered.

Jim

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This is a great idea guys. I would be happy help anyone out with info etc about hunting/flyfishing in Southern Alberta and up through the Central Foothills.
It would be excellent if Rick would make this a sticky that we could add to as required.
Jeff

Last edited by troutfly; 04/18/12. Reason: gr
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Send the moderator a PM and ask him if he will pin this thread to the top of the list. He may just do it.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Gentlimen, I congratulate all of you on your neighborliness. I once drove to Suzanne Lake and, was "greeted" by a fellow that looked at my plates, and asked if they were no fish in Iowa. I was told of a Canadian that would tell Americans asking directions back to drive to the government dock, and wait for the ferry. The Suzanne Lake "greeting" was one of the few times I have felt dicriminated against. I will say that I did not like it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Richard,

There was a time years ago when Suzanne got hit HARD by the tourist trade, and several of our southern neighbours were nailed for taking a couple hundred 'walleys' back across the border. Maybe that is what precipitated your tratment. Rude behaviour begets rude behaviour. Not excusing it, just sayin'.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Brother Keith, I should have just posted the complement. That event at Suzanne Lake was years ago. No point rehashing the War of 1812 either.Both are in the distant past. The NW Ontario lake rocks, and blood loving bugs seem to be equal opportuny hazards. Yanks, Canucks, all the same to them.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I take no umbridge with what you said, Richard, and I make no excuse for the rude behaviour on the part of my countrymen. I also do not condone it. I was just stating that that particular lake was hammered by some unscrupulous Americans over the years.

And as far as Americans go, I liberated as fine an example of the crew as exists on the planet. She married me -- goes to show there's no accounting for poor taste on her part. blush

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Hah so! Your fair wife was American. That reminds me of the "American blood" refered to a while back. Does the rest of the Brother Keith clan share the distain for the jacks? Prehaps this summer we can fish Suzanne together, and jaw about the topic more. Meanwhile,I'll try to conjer up some "Yankee Ingenuty", and Tom Sawyer style whitewash to con you out of the pickerel, while you get the jacks! Richard.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Well I told Dwayne I would help out in this post, but then forgot......

I guide for moose, goats and bears here in BC and have been doing it for 11 years. Over that time I have been privileged to meet a lot of down to earth hunters from all over. Been lucky to see a lot of great country, watch a large number of different animals and been in on the harvest of a lot of "Firsts"

Another thing I have been doing is learning the business and watching outfitters come and go.

For anyone who is thinking about a moose or goat hunt here in BC, I will post up a few tips;

Decide what you are looking for, a Mt Goat or a moose. Depending on what you decide will determine the best time to go. Earlier in Sept, the mountains will (should be...)snow free, the goats will be just getting their winter coats and billies will be by themselves. The downfall for moose, is they are not rutting, so it is spot and stalk. However, you are limited to where you can go and if the moose are in the thick stuff, it can be a hard hunt.

If you go later in Sept/early Oct, you are beginning to play with the weather. Last year we had lots of snow and rain by Sept 25th, goat hunting pretty well stopped then. Just too dangerous. However, it is prime moose rut and they are much more active and come to the call readily.

By mid Oct, the goat hunting is done and the moose rut is winding down....pretty well done. Also, depending on elevation, the lakes will start to freeze up.

This is all for the interior and Northern BC. Mt goat hunting on the Coast or Southern BC can go right into the winter and in some places up to Feb.

If you fly-in, ask about the flight back out with your meat. You are usually limited to a certain # of bags and weight, so make sure that you are not surprised by an extra cost for a meat flight. Some places will even charge for elk, caribou or moose antlers. All these costs can add up quick.

As has been said, ask for references that have been to the same area and hunted the same species, and make sure you ask for hunters who were not successful. Ask the references how the food was, who the guide was and how were they, the accommodations, the hunting method, quality of the overall hunt and would you go back again, if not why??.

In a fly-in hunt, remember that you are limited to the area around the lake (unless you have access to horses or ATV's), you cannot move if there is no animals, so always be prepared to accept that as the guide cannot control the animals....or the weather.

This is just basic info and it will vary from location and outfitter, but it does cover the basics.

I will add more later about booking a hunt and what to look for and the questions to ask.

I can help with anymore info, just send me a PM w/you email addy and I will try to answer any questions you may have.

Cheers

SS

If you shoot it on your own, they will cook it
If you don't, they will feed you something they shot.
Which is like having another man change your tire on your truck, NOT GOOD
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One tiny mistake I made coming back through customs at Calgary was not keeping my ball point pen out of my luggage. Had an anxious time trying to get a pen to fill out the papers.

I prefer going through customs at Edmonton, it seems to me they are set up better, more efficient, just goes more smoothly than customs at Calgary and I have heard better than Saskatoon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a great idea Dwayne!

I will try and poke my head in here and see if there are any border related questions I could help out with....

Lots of the stuff can seem 'complicated' but its pretty easy and basic if stated in plain engrish!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice work guys. Thanks for this. Am headed to Smithers, BC to do a goat hunt (may add a moose) in early Sept with Copper River Outfitters. I know I will have questions soon.

Tag.

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow Campfire Members;
While I know I've already included the link to find out the road conditions here in BC, which is http://www.drivebc.ca/, I found a new facet of it just last week that can be very, very helpful.

I should insert here that if you are staying in a BC hotel on your way to or from a hunt, most now in the southern parts of our province are wi-fi equipped, so bring along your laptop or other internet compatible device by all means.

So then going back to the drivebc.ca website, on the tool bar on top of the page, the 4th icon from the left should read "webcam list"

If you click on it, it then divides the province into geographic areas.

Once you click on the geographic area you will be traveling through one will be able to click on various webcams set up on the highways which will show current weather conditions.

These highway cams vary a wee bit in how often they change, but are updated with enough frequency that they can be extremely useful tools.

For instance if you want to know what the conditions are on the Anarchist Summit out of Osoyoos - this one's for you my friend Scott - wink - here is the link showing that section of highway.

http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/html/dbc/64.html

OK, I just learned this as I checked out the posted link - old dog still learning new tricks here - blush . So if you see the little map at the bottom of the webcam photo, it show where the next webcam up the road and down the road are.

If you click your cursor on the next camera on the map then the most recent photo from that camera comes up. Especially for winter - or early spring and late fall driving here in BC - this will be a very helpful trip planning tool for our family.

Again, hopefully that is some use to a visiting traveler and will allow you to get to and from your hunting destination in a safe manner.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 05/07/12. Reason: added info

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wildone

That's just plain funny. grin

Dwayne, this thread is a great idea.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow Campfire Members;
In honor of our home Wildlife Management Region - Region 8 Okanagan - finally joining the rest of BC and getting a wolf season, I'll bump this thread to the top.

The new BC Hunting Synopsis is now out online and the information contained therein is good until 2014.

Here is a link again for any interested in hunting our part of the world - or even I suppose seeing what the regulations look like for us.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

A very sincere thank you to all the good folks here at the 'Fire who have contributed to this thread.

Regards,
Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
anyone know if you can get a PAL as a non res , and do you have to take the class?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Option 2
Apply for a five-year Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL).

To apply for a PAL, applicants must provide evidence that they have passed the written and practical tests for the Canadian Firearms Safety Course. A course from another country does not meet Canadian legal requirements. However, it may be possible to take the tests without taking the course.

The CFO of the province or territory to be visited can provide information on any other documents that will be required to complete the background security check.

With a Canadian firearms licence, there is no need to complete the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration. However, an oral declaration must still be made to the customs officer.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm

Last edited by n007; 08/14/12.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I challenged the test last March, passed, and received my PAL in August after "jumpimg through the hoops". It was not easy, nor cheap. The photo alone is hard enough. I waited untill I was back in Ontario for the photo after getting the formal results of the test. The photo is different than anything in the states.

You can do it, but it is not quick, easy, nor cheap. Good luck!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. I thought I could save myself some time at the airport. Getting somewhere to take the test will cost more than the 25 bucks a year for 5 years for the declaration.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not to discourage you from getting a PAL. I studied the book after online study, then an appointment to take the test. As I said, the photo on another trip to Canada. The paper work, and your local police letter of good conduct, and the two references. I spent $11.00 sending the packet insured. After all that, I did not want it getting lost in the mail. I must have $150. invested.
The test is just on safe use of arms, but, I had to learn the jargon. "ACTS, PROVE".
Two trips should do it all. If you obtained the study book, and had the photo taken on the first, the second for the test, given an appointment works out.
You are correct about the expence. I like having mine however. Good luck with the hunt.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I challenged the exam sometime in the mid or late 1990s. I was still in the service, teaching weapons.

At any rate, One of the two questions I got wrong was "What does the third letter in ACTS stand for? For those that do not know, the test is a multiple guess type. I didn't have a clue what they asking, so I guessed - and guessed wrong.

The examiner was surprised that I missed it. I told him that I didn't have a clue what ACTS was. He was nonplussed.

I still don't have any idea what the ACTS and PROVE acronyms stand for, and I don't care. They have something to do with careless firearms handling. The military has its own acronyms that mean the same thing.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Steve, I know you said you don't care. For anyone else, A,assume it's loaded. C,control the direction of the mussel.T,trigger,keep your finger off. S, safe, is it? Then PROVE it. P, Point it in a safe dirrection.R, remove any ammo. O, observe the action. V, verifi the feed. E, examine the bore.

As I said, just what a carefull arms user has been doing all along. I did the practial test without thinking. I broke open the over/under, looked down the barrels, Bob's your uncle. Mine is for the non restricted, I have no doubt the restricted is somewhat harder.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
The PROVE acronym sorta works, but shouldn't ACTS really be ACKI? Or maybe IAKC?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Steve, I did not make the rules, nor write the book. I wanted to pass the test. I have learned if you want what "they" have, give the answer they want. Like I said, nothing new really, just basic safety.
I will say I did learn a few things studying for the test. Don't ask me now though, I forgot.
Forgive me for spouting off. I any know about seven things, and thats four of them.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know you didn't write the book. smile

I've no doubt that they hired several grossly overpaid course developers that had M.Ed's, none of whom never picked up a firearm, to write the manual.

There's a relatively new specialty in the Cdn Forces called training development officers. They've been around for about ten years. One of the prerequisites is a M Ed. Normally I'd have no issues with their credentials or what they were expected to do, but I've met four of them and they do not inspire anyone's confidence. I teach at a technical school and these people seem to be geared toward the academic, not hands on.

To cut to the chase, much of what they have done isn't working or has been changed and made to work by "the less gifted" - the teaching staff.

No doubt, there was a lot of this going on with the firearms course too.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Steve, Let's end this on a mellow note for the day. Will Rogers said something like, "We can be glad were are not getting all the government we are paying for".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dwayne, great idea, and ever the gentleman, you are a credit to this site. Though I presently don't have plans to hunt Canada, if I did, I can think of no better start than here.

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
George;
Thanks again for the kind words sir, I appreciate them and will endeavor to deserve them in my future posts.

As new information or ideas come up, I'll attempt to add them or links to them at least. Anyone who feels so inclined is welcome to do the same by the way.

For the traveling hunter this thread had some great ideas for getting capes, skulls and meat back home so hopefully it's OK I put up a link to it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../1/Whitetail_Cape_and_Horns_on_Ai#UNREAD

If for whatever reason you can't find a Walmart up here, there is a store chain called Canadian Tire in many towns that might have the Rubbermaid containers, duct tape and cable ties called for.

In another thread recently about cell phones I posted that here in south central BC the cell service can be spotty and reception can vary with the provider links up here - so I'm told anyway.

So to recap just because you are on a paved road or in some towns for that matter, doesn't guarantee cell service up here.

This might be a handy item for the visiting hunter who is driving up to their hunt.

It's been our experience that coverage across southern Alberta was much better, but then as one is out of the mountains that makes sense I suppose.

Again it's my hope this information is useful to some of our visiting hunters.

Good luck to you all in your hunts this fall.

Regards,
Dwayne

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good evening Dwayne,

Being as I live in Southern Alberta, just outside Medicine Hat to be exact, I can address the cell coverage in the South Country a bit. From my experience, you will have pretty good coverage if you are with a major carrier who pings off TELUS or Bell towers. If you are with a smaller company or one that specializes in urban coverage you could find it spotty outside most cities, unless you are on the Calgary/Edmonton corridor for example. As well, if you are hunting the regions south of Elkwater you will lose most cell signals.
A few years ago I was north of the Hat on the 41 maybe 45 mins out of town when I spotted a number of coyotes in a field. Pulled over by a gate to get the Riders number, tried to call, no signal. My son whipped out his TELUS phone and bingo, in we went. My phone at the time was with Rogers, changed over to TELUS that week and have had service in parts of Alberta that even they tell me I shouldn't. FWIW
Jeff

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow 'Fire members;
As it's been awhile since this one's been bumped up and we seem to be getting more folks planning Canadian hunts, I hope it's OK that I bring it up again.

Anyone who'd like to contribute, please feel free to do so.

All the best to you all in 2013 and good luck on your upcoming hunts.

Regards,
Dwayne

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good job Dwayne there is some useful information in this thread.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
NWT:

All non-residents of the NWT MUST hunt with an outfitter registered with the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT). Each outfitter has an allocated area they are allowed to hunt for big game. There aren't many outfitters in the NWT, so it definitely simplifies things! If you have a certain area you want to hunt, then you likely only have one option for an outfitter.

Non-residents are not allowed to harvest grizzly bears. Residents are allowed one per lifetime.

This link is pretty informative. It has all the seasons, outfitters, contact info and some other good stuff.

http://spectacularnwtmedia.com/guides/2012_NWTT_Hunting.pdf

I don't know everything about hunting up here, but if someone is headed up, drop me a PM and I'll try to help.

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow Campfire Members;
I'm just bumping this up again in case anyone is planning a fall hunt up here.

There's a lot of good information contained in it, so thanks again to all who've contributed.

All the best luck to you all in your upcoming hunts.

Regards,
Dwayne

B
B
Calling all hunters, the adventure has begun!

Watch this video to find out more about our Facebook Adventures Contest and get a peek at some of the $20,000 worth of prizes up for grabs. Click here to enter: http://ow.ly/k5hru

Don't forget to share the contest with your friends. Each new Facebook fan our page gets will bring us closer to unlocking the next level of prizes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dLNNgo3sePY

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Apologies to all! BackroadsMapbooks just doesn't get the spirit of this thing! I suggest that we all boycott their product. Thanks to Dwayne for providing a free public service, shame on BackroadsMapbooks for taking advantage of a free marketing opportunity!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Gentlemen, I have a deer hunting trip booked in Nov. 2013. I would like to know how I might acquire a good road map? My wife & I plan on driving because we have never seen that part of Canada (Alberta). If you are willing to share any information, concerning the weather & roads in November, it would be welcomed. Please PM me or send me an email to dlallderaceweb.com Thanks Daniel

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Daniel;
If you are traveling with a smart phone, I pad or laptop, there will be cell service and wi-fi available in many of the larger towns.

Access this site for up to the minute road conditions.

http://511.alberta.ca/ab/en.html

This site has a quick and dirty sort of printable format map that would get you a general overview.

http://www.watertonpark.com/maps/mapab.htm

Once you cross the medicine line, look for a Travel Alberta Info Center and they will have a detailed road map or be able to direct you to where to obtain one. Here's how to find them.

http://travelalberta.com/Trip%20Essentials/Visitor%20Information%20Centers.aspx

If that doesn't get you started down the right path sir then we'll see if some of our Alberta 'Fire brethren can't get you on it.

All the best luck on your trip and your hunt.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 06/23/13.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

God bless the man that started this thread!!!!! Thanks. I'm planning a trip to BC in 2015. smile

Thank you to all contributors.

shane and family

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Shane;
You are most welcome sir and thanks for the kind words.

The thanks however belongs to the good folks who've contributed to gather the information and links into one place.

Hopefully folks will check in from time to time and update the links or new helpful information.

All the best to you and your family sir and good luck on your hunt.

Regards,
Dwayne

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This is an awesome thread Dwayne,I've looked at it many times and haven't posted on it yet.There are many good guide outfits ib BC providing great hunts.Do your homework(references,etc.)the same as you would for an exspensive hunt at home or in Alaska,all outfitters are not created equal!There is a huge variety of game available,as well as some good waterfowling and a course,kickass fishing.I only wish we could host some of our Campfire friends up here,but we can't because of a sweetheart deal between the Governent and the outfitters.I can think of a number of guys from the Campfire that I would have loved to show BC to. Monahee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
B
B
Enter for your chance to WIN 1 of 5 Ultimate BRMB Prizes Packs valued at $500! These amazing prizes can be yours by helping BRMB unlock Level 5 of the Adventure Contest.

All you need to do is Like Backroad Mapbooks Facebook Page and Enter the contest: http://a.pgtb.me/F6MpM5

Help us hit that next milestone by sharing this link with your friends and you could be one of the lucky winners!

Attached Images
93kb.jpg (31.91 KB, 186 downloads)
5 X $500 Premium Prize Packs to be WON!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
This is too good a thread to get stalled out with a little advertising.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This is a very good thread. I would contribute that if you are after moose, be sure and establish with your outfitter how readily the area can be accessed by First Nation hunters.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
This is a very good thread. I would contribute that if you are after moose, be sure and establish with your outfitter how readily the area can be accessed by First Nation hunters.

Why would you do that?? I presume you had a bad experience??

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, open season all year long tends to thin the herd a bit.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I would well imagine, there would not be much you would not want to know about a proposed area. Spending that kind of money, and seeing the same number of game animals you left at home in the back yard. (None?)

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Saw one cow, had a bull tag. Had a very enjoyable trip, saw lots of great scenery, spent wonderful time in the midst of it, had fantastic company and very friendly hosts, caught some fish, and took home fantastic memories, but as you mentioned, could have had all of that without the hefty moose hunt price.

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
5sdad;
I'm sorry to read that you had less than an optimum moose hunt up here sir.

One of the reasons I encourage folks to talk to references who have and have not taken game with an outfitter is that sometimes the sort of situation that you faced might be found out before you put your money down.

Please don't misread anything in what I've said to indicate that I think you are at fault in any way as emphatically that's not my intent.

I do know that back in the day when we had an open 3/4 curl California Bighorn season many of the guided hunters were very taken aback at how many hunters there were - lots of locals that is - and how much resulting hunting pressure resulted.

Now I will say in defense of the outfitters and guides that many if not most of the guided hunters either got a ram or had opportunity to turn one down, but I got the distinct impression a couple of times that the hunters were expecting a much different experience than they'd received.

Now I'm certain that there may well be times when a Native band will head into a new hunting area in a big way, but typically they are creatures of habit and like to hunt the same places just like I do.

Anyway again I'm sorry to read about your experience with the lack of game seen. That makes for a long and less than palatable hunt for sure.

All the best to you and yours in the upcoming week sir.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 08/05/13. Reason: added info

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dwayne, thank you for your kind words. As I said, I had a wonderful experience and hold no ill will toward my hosts - they were great to be around and put a lot of effort into the hunt. My hope was to, as you point out, encourage others to check the native hunter aspect of the area they are considering. My best to you and yours in the upcoming week as well. (I look forward with eager anticipation as our son, d-i-l and two grandsons (3 and 5) are coming to visit.) John

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
5sdad;
You are of course most welcome sir.

As I've mentioned previously, but will again for the record, I'm not related to or profiting from any guide or outfitter in BC. Never was either just to be clear.

Now I do know guides and outfitters and I also know locals who are doing their best to end all hunting for anyone who is not a resident.

I "get" both sides and in all truth both have points to be made and considered.

My reasons for starting this thread and encouraging it along are that hunts here aren't cheap and folks coming up here should have a better shot(double entendre very much intended) at a positive memorable hunt if they do some homework up front.

Your hosts might not have known what was up with the local band, but I have no illusions that some outfitters will sell hunts for which no animals exist or at very least very, very few.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your experience as it absolutely puts an exclamation point to some of the suggestions made here by me and many others.

All the best to you and your family this week - save up some energy for the grandsons!

Regards,
Dwayne

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Medoubts John, that you are the Lone Ranger of moose hunting.
Truth be told, the truth is told less than might be.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Funny you would say that, they have been doing the 'open season all year long' for say at least 10,000 years. I think you've been taken in by an urban myth. No doubt that environmental issues [wolves & habitat destruction] have had far more impact on game herds than hunting, and up here it's not unusual for trains to kill more than the annual allowable harvest [for all hunters]of moose.

IF what your after is untouched wilderness hunting, you have to look for no road access, no major rivers that hunters can travel by jet boats, no railway tracks, and no power or pipeline right of ways. [very limited access]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I probably didn't make my point, which was to check on easy access for First Nation hunters to the area to be hunted, clear enough. My apologies.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Good topic. I wrote an article for "Bowhunter" on this subject last year. I have spent the last 27-years guiding hunters in Northern BC & Yukon. One of the things most hunters are surprised at when they come north is the low game densities here in Western Canada. There's been a lot of talk on here about references.....for the most part you can forget that......Good outfitters will have good references but so will bad ones......If you are looking for a quality hunt, you are going to pay premium prices. Period. My best advice is to look for outfitters who have been in the business for many years. These guys are not in it for a fast buck.....they like the lifestyle.....Once you have narrowed your search, one of the most telling questions you can ask is how long has the outfitters guides worked for him?? Every outfitter has some new guides but stay away from guys with a new crew each year.....Remember this: you might NEVER see your outfitter......but you WILL spend your entire hunt with your guide. The outfitter I work for now has three guides of which I am one that have worked for him for more than 15-years. Ive been with him since 93. In general for big moose I wouldnt consider anything south of Williston Lake in BC......the Yukon is even better. Hope this helps. If anyone want to PM me for more info feel free.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter

Funny you would say that, they have been doing the 'open season all year long' for say at least 10,000 years. I think you've been taken in by an urban myth. No doubt that environmental issues [wolves & habitat destruction] have had far more impact on game herds than hunting, and up here it's not unusual for trains to kill more than the annual allowable harvest [for all hunters]of moose.

IF what your after is untouched wilderness hunting, you have to look for no road access, no major rivers that hunters can travel by jet boats, no railway tracks, and no power or pipeline right of ways. [very limited access]

As you are aware but try to ignore, hunting 10 000 years ago did not include scoped high-powered rifles, 4x4's, ATV's or spotlights, so the harvest rate was exponentially smaller.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a client who owns a ranch outside of Calgary, Alberta. we talked about hunting/fishing for couple of years now, and he offered I can come up on his ranch. Buddy and I are looking into taking him up on his offer next year.
I will look into some of these link provided. just havent had time to read everything.
I pretty much have NO Idea how to go about on out of country hunt. rifles across border, tags or anything. Is there a general tag, or draw only? guided hunt only since we are non citizen or we can hunt with him?
We/I are open for any big game.
Any tips or things to look into would be much appreciated.
PM are also welcome. thanks in advance

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dre,

I'm not 100% on this so I'll appreciate input/correction but if your buddy isn't an outfitter, you'll need to go the "host-a-hunter" route, ie, he will have to sponsor you. And he'll need to initiate that paperwork.

As well, you'll likely need an additional sponsor for your buddy. (Don't think Albertan's can host more than one person)

Getting a rifle across the border is easy. You declare your firearms in writing with a CAFC 909 Non-Resident Firearm Declaration and pay the $25 fee.

On the tag thing, I think it depends what/where you're hunting.
When I hunted with my friend Jordan in AB two years ago, the whitetail tag was OTC.

Hope that helps or at the very least starts a discussion.

WWP53D
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you skane
He is not an outfitter, just a home owner. So I would have to go as a host hunter.
Ill find out about my buddy and see if we can get a sponsor for him. otherwise we have to get a guide?
I really want to hunt moose. we don't have them in Oregon. but a big mulie or white tail would be nice as well. Honestly IF I am going this far, I want to get as many tags as I can for the time up there, just because you know what you will see while out. I will have to look into the tags.
thanks again

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Bump.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by n007

As you are aware but try to ignore, hunting 10 000 years ago did not include scoped high-powered rifles, 4x4's, ATV's or spotlights, so the harvest rate was exponentially smaller.

10,000 years ago they all ate wild meat, these days half of them are in jail, most don't get out of the urban setting where they live in squalor ie. East Hastings....and a whole pile live off the govt checks...maybe, maybe 10 in 100 of them hunt and those are usually the ones that have their lives together. So no I don't ignore, it's a realistic view I have.

B
bcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very Intro> the Road kills more big game then hunters can in a year but nothing is said to this at ALL!> We came off a heavy Elk hunt at white Swamp and were rolling down to home and came across a big bull mouse kill by a big truck!Should of took the hind Q> but if you get caught your a poacher! Let it rott or crow feed !VERY SAD!

Last edited by bcd; 11/24/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Big bull mouse are very dangerous for worms like you. keep your distance even when dead in the ditch.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What about big black bears?? Why do guys hunt them over garbage in sask when they could hunt west coast bears?? Biggest in Canada by far..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I want to do a Whitetail deer hunt in Saskatchewan with a rifle , Is this were I would post to find an outfitter ,if not head me in the right direction.....Thanks Sarge

Last edited by Sgt5; 01/25/14.
BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sgt5:
Hopefully this finds you well so far this year sir.

While I'm most certainly not the expert on such matters here - or anywhere for that matter, you may well get more traction on specific outfitter recommendations in a separate thread below.

We crafted this thread more as an general foundation for anyone coming up here to hunt - a reference source if you will.

If you can't find some specific information in the links the various members have provided then by all means let me know and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

The advice repeated often in the thread to check with both successful and unsuccessful hunter references would be extremely high on my personal list to follow.

Hopefully that was some use to you sir and good luck on your hunt whichever way you decide.

Regards,
Dwayne

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks BC30cal I will do that.

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow 'Fire Folks;
It's come up a couple times now in various threads that traveling hunters and fishermen from stateside have been stopped and turned back at the Canadian border for DUI offenses.

One can debate whether or not this makes sense until the proverbial cows come home, but the fact remains that for those folks the trip is done then and there.

The original purpose of this thread was/is to give visiting hunters a mechanism by which to research various aspects of traveling up here on our side of the medicine line.

Researching whether or not a past indiscretion with the law when one was in college will be an impediment is part of that research as well.

Again please contact the links to Canadian Border Services posted earlier or take a look at this site.

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the...canadian-border-with-a-dui/#.U7AXP5RdXRw

Hopefully that was useful information for someone out there in the ether space who plans on a trip to Canada. Good luck to you all who are doing so anytime in the future and if you are coming up from the US - Happy Fourth of July to you too.

Dwayne

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow 'Fire hunters;
While researching an answer for another member here I stumbled across this link from the Yukon Environment folks.

http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/publications-maps/documents/intothe_yukonwilderness.pdf

In my estimation and experience hunting in two western provinces and traveling in four - it's well worth the time it takes to read it.

Anyway folks, good luck on your hunts this fall wherever they might be and here's to safe returns home for all of us.

Dwayne

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey Guys/Gals,
That is an excellent resource that Dwayne has posted.
Lots of common sense stuff but lots of unique to the region info as well.
Jeff

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just a caution, this may have been posted already if so sorry. B.C. resident hunters have been sold out by there government who gave up to 40% of tag allocation to the guides and outfitters for resale. That's right up to 40% when most jurisdictions in North America is 5-10%. Needless to say the climate in B.C is tense and resident hunters will be exercising their legal right to hunt in the guide's tenured territories in extremely large numbers, in other words the guide territories may be very crowed as residents will be flying and packing into remote areas like never before. With the current situation being played out I would suggest that non residents look to Alberta and the Yukon for their hunting adventure until such time as the government decides to play fair and bring their allocation numbers in line with the rest of North America. Thanks for your understanding and support. Hope you have a great hunt but please support your fellow resident hunters and stay away from B.C.

BORN to HUNT
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I tried to talk to ICE all I get is how to report a tip to them! They gave me a # to the US Border that say all circuits busy all day long! Looks like nobody has duty or Phone Watch!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Canada is a great hunting destination. When my bud and I hunted there, we used the Outfitters rifles so we wouldn't have to deal with that. And without guns as luggage, we had more options for horns and capes on the return flight.

Check with airlines on which ones will allow racks on board. Coming back thru U.S. Customs can be more of a challenge than going North. Be sure to have all paper work on hides, horns, etc. as that can cause grief at the border.

To me, the Canadians were easier to work with than the Americans.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

+1
Have yet to cross the border back/forth where this wasn't the case.

WWP53D
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

+1
Have yet to cross the border back/forth where this wasn't the case.

Sad to say, they were nicer, classier people all the way around.

Doesn't say much for our "side of the fence"... frown

DF

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
What about big black bears?? Why do guys hunt them over garbage in sask when they could hunt west coast bears?? Biggest in Canada by far..

If anyone is interested in really big black bears Newfoundland is a seldom picked destination. Bear densities are not super high but many are taken in excess of 500lbs. every year. I read a recent report from biologists who buried a special thin weight scale under the soil at a bait site in order to get live weights of bears. A couple of bears in the study topped 700lbs. on the hoof. That is a monster blackie!!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
One thing I didn't see addressed is whether U.S. cell phones work in Canada.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Our Verizon phones will not work 80 miles from International Falls.

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by postoak

postoak;
Good evening to you sir and while we did cover cell phone coverage a page or two in, we didn't have an in depth discussion as to whether or not US carriers work up here.

There was another thread on that very subject here however.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...34/US_cell_phones_in_Canada#Post10191634

I've got to say it's a wee bit of a twist to us as we've traveled a fair bit in the US over the years - mostly west and northwest and Hawaii - but our cell phones worked every time.

We've got Bell and Telus phones by the way if that has any bearing on it?

For sure though it'd likely be a grand question to put to your cell phone provider as it doesn't appear to be unusual for US service to be interrupted on this side of the medicine line.

Hopefully that was useful information sir and again best of luck on your hunt whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

My wife and I traveled extensively in southern Ontario & Quebec, as well as New Brunswick and Nova Scotia during September and October of 2015. Our cell provider, Viaero, is a smaller regional service that operates primarily in the US states of Nebraska, Kansas and Colorado. We experienced excellent coverage for the entire two week period that we enjoyed in Canada. We appeared to be roaming on Rogers. We incurred no roaming charges during that time period. Some other providers may charge you excessively for data usage, so you might wish to turn off your mobile data and instead use those functions that require it when you have wifi available. A pre-trip inquiry to your provider would be an excellent idea ...

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by plainview

My wife and I traveled extensively in southern Ontario & Quebec, as well as New Brunswick and Nova Scotia during September and October of 2015. Our cell provider, Viaero, is a smaller regional service that operates primarily in the US states of Nebraska, Kansas and Colorado. We experienced excellent coverage for the entire two week period that we enjoyed in Canada. We appeared to be roaming on Rogers. We incurred no roaming charges during that time period. Some other providers may charge you excessively for data usage, so you might wish to turn off your mobile data and instead use those functions that require it when you have wifi available. A pre-trip inquiry to your provider would be an excellent idea ...

Interesting topic.
We travelled in the western US this Aug. My Telus phone worked everywhere except in Nebraska. Could access Facebook but no other service's were available. At least with FB I could message the family that we were OK and where we were. (Basically we were one day/night with no service)
States we were in included N/S Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Wyoming and Montana.
When we got home I mentioned this to Telus. It seems they have no contract with Viaero to share towers. The service rep indicated they are working to resolve the issue.
When I travel to the US I always buy a US service package for the timeframe we are going to be away, that allows me to use my phone as though still at home. I find it quite useful. Most of the trip my phone was on AT&T towers.

Last edited by troutfly; 12/23/15.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
FWIW, if you have a TRAC phone it won't work in Canada.
My folks live in Missouri and only use a Trac phone. (Don't have a regular cell) they got it for when they travel. Found out the first trip north of the Medicine Line that it didn't get service here.
They do find it very useful for all the other travel they do.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FoxtonGundogs
Just a caution, this may have been posted already if so sorry. B.C. resident hunters have been sold out by there government who gave up to 40% of tag allocation to the guides and outfitters for resale. That's right up to 40% when most jurisdictions in North America is 5-10%. Needless to say the climate in B.C is tense and resident hunters will be exercising their legal right to hunt in the guide's tenured territories in extremely large numbers, in other words the guide territories may be very crowed as residents will be flying and packing into remote areas like never before. With the current situation being played out I would suggest that non residents look to Alberta and the Yukon for their hunting adventure until such time as the government decides to play fair and bring their allocation numbers in line with the rest of North America. Thanks for your understanding and support. Hope you have a great hunt but please support your fellow resident hunters and stay away from B.C.

So I never heard any more about this. How did it turn out, how is it still going? The outfitters I know seem to be doing well. Hopefully the locals are too.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am sure these questions have been asked numerous times and I believe I have the answers, but I am going to ask one more time as this is my first Canadian Adventure.

Going into Canada
Guns -
I will need to have the US 4457 Form Completed and stamped before leaving.
Canadian Declaration form to be filled out, but will be signed and completed at border entry and a $25 fee.

Permits -
Will have a wolf tag, so will need to have a cites permit issued before I leave?

Coming back into US.

Meat -
Will need Hunting Lisc and Tag to import meat. Will US allow the meat to be cut and wrapped in canada to import or will it have to be unprocessed? Any other forms?

Am I missing anything with getting into Canada and Back out?

Thanks
Adam

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[quote=Hiaring8]I am sure these questions have been asked numerous times and I believe I have the answers, but I am going to ask one more time as this is my first Canadian Adventure.

Going into Canada
Guns -
I will need to have the US 4457 Form Completed and stamped before leaving.
Canadian Declaration form to be filled out, but will be signed and completed at border entry and a $25 fee.

Permits -
Will have a wolf tag, so will need to have a cites permit issued before I leave?

Other than the CITES Permit and your hunting license and Customs Forms already mentioned I don't know.

Coming back into US.

Meat -
Will need Hunting Lisc and Tag to import meat. Will US allow the meat to be cut and wrapped in canada to import or will it have to be unprocessed? Any other forms?

Am I missing anything with getting into Canada and Back out?

Thanks
Adam

Hi Adam,
Where are you hunting? I live in Alberta so if you are coming here and have any questions, just ask, either here or by PM.

Being as I am Canadian, I don't know what forms you need to return south other than your Customs Forms, Hunting License and CITES Permit. WRT packaged/processed meat I would contact US Customs before leaving or when you stop to process your US 4457.

A couple things to keep in mind for crossing into Canada are:

1)Make sure no one in your group has a criminal record of any kind including DUI as Canada Customs won't allow them to come in. Would suck big time to find out at the border.

2)No handguns are allowed as the Canadian Government is afraid of folks owning/transporting them. Stupid but it is our reality here.

3)Don't bring any knives which are automatic, gravity or assisted opening. Again, stupid government paranoia. Standard hunting knives are good, fixed or folder such as Buck 110 for example.

4) If planning to carry bear spray I would just buy it here as they can be anal at the border about certain types.

5) Have a wicked good time while you are visiting. take lots of pictures to show friends/family that aren't along on the trip.
We are a friendly bunch up here.
Jeff

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
troutfly;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope this finds you well and spring is beginning to sprung a wee bit in your area of the world.

We've had a long, protracted and chilly one here and as you likely know that's cause for much weeping and gnashing of teeth for us soft, pampered Okanangan residents.... wink

I just wanted to say a quick thanks for helping out our neighbor to the south with the queries - you were as usual spot on.

It's funny that when we've been camping on either side of the medicine line - for instance one summer we worked our way down to Yellowstone, up through Glacier Park Montana, then into Waterton, up through Kananaskis and back down home through Glacier BC. Anyway we could legally purchase the exact same bear spray on both sides and carry it in the same manner - but of course could not legally cross in either direction with it. crazy

When we were tenting south of Revelstoke last summer the campsite was awash with sub-adult black bears and while one of the restricted firearms in the safe back home might have been okay to have if legal, we slept reasonably soundly with the bottom bear discouragement device in between our air mattresses. wink
[Linked Image]
As a by the way we're running Challenger loaded Gualandi slugs in it since Brenneke are unobtanium - but the youtube video tests seem to indicate they're not a terrible choice. In the same vein, I'd opine that if I ever have to touch off a Challenger from inside our tent, the hearing of the bear and us will NEVER EVER be the same! laugh

Lastly it was a good call on the knives. My EDC is an assisted ZT which I purchased from a Canadian distributor and is totally legal - but there is no way I ever cross the medicine line with anything but a totally manual and somewhat gummy Buck Vantage Pro - just because, right? wink

Mostly I just wanted to say hello and wish you and yours a good spring. I see the wind has slowed down some now so I've got to slither out and drop a bug killed Ponderosa in the yard before it comes down where it shouldn't.

Thanks again and have a good weekend sir.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 03/18/17. Reason: Forgot photo of bear scarers

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hi Dwayne,

Good to hear from you.
I just returned home from the Edmonton Boat and Sportsmen's Show. Long 6 hour drive for me but worth it! I hosted an Outdoor Writers of Canada Regional Meeting then took in the show. Accomplished a bit of business as well with the Canadian Dist. for a cool new fly tying product I have been testing for them.

It certainly has been a long winter, even here in Alberta's Banana Belt. You know that snow storm you folks had a couple weeks ago??? There was enough snow left that when it reached my AOR we received over a foot of the stuff. Muchly needed by the way. Most of our winter has consisted of deep cold with no snow. Now all melted with lots of standing and sheet water, hopefully enough to help the waterfowl. Lots of Canada Geese around, anxiously awaiting the Snow Goose migration. Dekkes and shotgun are ready.

Great choice of bear deterrent. I haven't tried the Challenger loads as of yet though. Another I want to try is the Score ammo. Canadian made from what I hear.
I usually have either my Marlin stoked with .44 Mag or a Mossberg 500 with slugs and OO buck. Hornady makes a good load of both.

There certainly are weird rules at the border these days wrt bear spray and knives among other things. Oh how I long for the good old days.

Have a great weekend
Jeff

Last edited by troutfly; 03/18/17. Reason: added content
B
B
policy passed as it was written, despite protests. 60/40 split was for high end trophy species, most other ungulates are closer to 80/20 in favour of locals.
Still the best place in NA to live and hunt

A
A
The way it used to be—that’s the best way to describe the southeast corner of Alberta, where cowboys still rule the landscape of huge tracts of native prairie grassland. Wildlife Management Unit 102 comprises the majority of the region, and it’s here that the pronghorn is at the northern extreme of its range, making for a unique hunting experience.

Experienced pronghorn hunters swear these last remaining members of the Antilocapridae family have eyes that rival 8X binoculars, making it a challenge to get close enough for a shot in the open grasslands. Tags are limited, and Alberta residents can wait 10 years between opportunities to hunt these antelope, as they’re more commonly known in the province.

regards
www.stickercanada.com

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Travelling hunters;
This is a quick update on another situation which we're finding ourselves in on this side of the medicine line which you may want to be aware of.

The good folks at Canadian Border Services have decided that any folding knife which has an addition or device which allows it to be opened with one hand - so thumb stud, hole in the blade, flipper, etc - is now classed the same as a switchblade or gravity knife and as such prohibited. Such folding knives - which of course is most of them nowadays - are now no longer able to be imported into Canada.

Please don't ask how that makes any sense whatsoever, because it does not and in fact most LEO, firemen and First Responders that I know carry just such blades. They've been legal and available either online or at the local auto parts, Canadian Tire stores for 40 years so why wouldn't they be as common as a cup of Tim Horton's coffee..... crazy

It would be a shame if a visiting hunter got one/several/all of their knives seized - and that conceivably could take place now.

As always, its a good plan to check with their website to see what they'll say about an individual bringing their own personal knife up here - that may be okay and then again if left to the discretion of the individual officer it may not.

Speaking personally I don't cross the medicine line with anything other than a Leatherman Wave anymore as I don't feel like donating any of my folders to the Canadian Border Services at present.

We're working toward getting this mess sorted out, but with the current folks in charge back east, we're not hopeful for any significant change until after an election which would see them unemployed - and we're working on that for sure too.

Good luck on your hunts wherever they may be and all the best.

Dwayne

B
B
i planned to hunt there after the lockdown

bug..
BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Prospective Hunters Everywhere;
Good morning to you all, it's election day in the US as I type this so I hope you've all already voted or get out and do so.

My personal thoughts and prayers today are with my hunting brothers and sisters south of the medicine line.

Since we're currently in the middle of a beer flu and the borders are closed to visiting hunters, this entire thread is suspended truly.

We'll keep an eye on the situation and update as soon as we're able to understand whatever it is our Federal government decides is the way to proceed.

All the best to you all this fall and into the winter season.

Dwayne

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All;
Since it's been a year and a half since any updates, I'll attempt to put up what I know is the situation as of today.

It's ironic that I'm posting on the anniversary of 14,000 Canadians landing on Juno Beach, but perhaps on further reflection it's appropriate.

There's a website set up by the Feds for anyone crossing into Canada now which should contain the latest updates.

Here it is.
https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

I would strongly suggest that any questions be directed to them as they're directing Canadian Border Services staff.

Our firearm situation is a wee bit up in the air now as well, so if you're planning a hunt here in the fall, do check in with your outfitter to ensure each firearm you're intending to bring in will not be subject to some new prohibition.

In the last couple of years I've read numerous comments from posters who've indicated that they're no longer willing to spend money up here because of the actions of the federal party in power at the moment. Of course that's everyone's right to do so, that is to say spend their money where they see fit.

That said, please understand as well that in large measure the people involved in hunting, fishing or guiding are statistically far less likely to be supporters of that group in power. One might even suggest that the Libs would like nothing better than to see the hunting and fishing businesses vanish from the scene as it'd suit a few of their end goals quite nicely.

As always if anyone has specific questions I'll do my best to direct them to a place that might have an answer.

All the best and God bless.

Dwayne

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All;
In another 3 days it will be 11 years since I started this thread and the first thing that strikes me of course is how fast that time has passed.

The other thing unfortunately is how many more restrictions are now in the way for anyone visiting Canada.

In the post from last summer I urged everyone coming in to direct questions to Canadian Border Services and that's still the best way to proceed.

Regarding firearms, the current government is in the process of rolling out the most restrictive firearms bans in Canadian history. This was dropped on our laps in late November 2022 so honestly we're all scrambling to attempt to figure it all out.

By way of explanation, there were initially 1500 firearms and "variants" on the list, then all handguns were added and then in November 2022 another 378 pages of additional firearms and "variants" were added. Part of it is a prohibition of firearms whose muzzle energy exceeds 10,000 joules which includes some .460 Weatherby loads for instance.

The list is staggeringly illogical and includes Ruger No. 1, Weatherby Mk V, Christianson Arms, Brazilian 1908 Mauser, Parker Shotguns among others. The way I read the list - and I could be wrong - is that any center fire semi automatic firearm which uses a removeable magazine is now prohibited. I pray I'm wrong about that of course.

It is written such that it could be interpreted that only the firearms which are chambered for cartridges which exceed the magic number of joules are prohibited or it could be the action itself. Nobody has given a clear consistent answer about that.

All that to say if you are planning a hunt up here please do your homework regarding the type of firearm you intend to bring up.

I'm not sure what else to say at this juncture on the subject other than obviously it pains me deeply to write this.

If you're so inclined we would appreciate your prayers as we attempt to navigate this situation.

Thanks all and God bless.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Canadian Cell Service works well in the USA, for the low price of $1,000,000.00 per second! :o(

KB

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 2500HD, 67 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,138
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.