Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
BC30cal Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow Campfire Members;
Since starting out here a few years and a few thousand posts ago I've noted that many folks have the same questions about planning a hunt up here.

A recent thread on the subject which resulted some very useful replies from a few of my Canuck brethren here - thanks again to each and every one of you - gave me this idea, so we'll see where if anywhere it takes us.

I propose here a thread in which either 'Fire members who've been up to Canada hunting or those of us from here give some helpful tips and information links - as a sort of starting reference point if you will.

I'd ask up front here though that we refrain from anything that would be construed as advertising for a particular guide or outfitter unless they are a paying advertiser. This would be out of respect for Rick.

The other thought I had for parameters would be that it may be useful if contributors used a header of either "Canada" for generic information or for instance "British Columbia" for specific information to a given hunting destination.

Without further preamble then, I'll attempt a beginning here with this.

CANADA

Unlike some other places in the world, our firearm regulation is the same for all of Canada (up to today anyway - long story laugh )

A couple of links that may be helpful for visiting hunters.

The website for Canadian Border Services, who are the first folks you'll be dealing with when you enter here.

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/menu-eng.html

The website for the Canadian Firearms Program, which is run by the RCMP and will dictate what type of firearm you can bring with you to hunt here.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm

That is an admittedly brief beginning, but as mentioned we'll see where this might go.

Thanks in advance to all who will contribute.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/14/12. Reason: added info

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
British Columbia:

In BC most non Canadian residents are required to hire the services of a guide to hunt.

The first order of business I'd suggest is to see if the guide you're talking to is a member of the Guide Outfitters Association of BC.

http://www.goabc.org/

If you are driving up here or are flying in and renting a vehicle and doing a bit of road time here, this is one of the BC websites for information on traveling here.

http://www.travel.bc.ca/

For specific road conditions, this site is very good to know about.

http://www.drivebc.ca/

Finally, even though the outfitter will be responsible for you while you hunt up here, it never hurts to know the rules and I'd recommend a quick look at this site which gives the hunting regulations for the entire province.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

Our hunting regulations are admittedly a bit much to read, but once you know the geographic location of your hunt, a quick read of the beginning of the regs and then the specifics for the region being hunted are pretty simple.

I'll offer that anyone having an issue with the BC regs is welcome to PM me and I'll do my best to help you with them. I'm a certified Hunter Safety Examiner here so theoretically if I can teach the regs I'm supposed to be able to interpret them as well! laugh

Some of the standard advice I give folks coming up for a hunt.

- Ask the outfitter for references of both hunters who shot game and those who didn't. Then by all means call those folks and ask questions.

- Get in the best physical shape you possibly can as much of our part of the world can be very vertical.

- In the same vein as above, ask your outfitter what kind of shape they expect you to be in and be brutally honest with them about that.

- Practice shooting whatever tool you are bringing up here in as much as possible. In particular practice shooting from "field positions". The most common complaint my friends who guide have with visiting hunters is that they come here unprepared to shoot from anything other than perfect range type conditions. Being able to shoot well and in a timely manner from all shooting positions will often make the difference between killing an animal or going home without.

Well, that's all for now. Hopefully others will join in with good advice and thanks in advance to all who do so.

Regards,
Dwayne

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Dwayne, great idea (it seems most things I read on your posts are well reasoned and reasonable and very easy to agree with) I will start pulling some Alberta sites together and post them on this page. GRF

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
http://www.ama.ab.ca/road-reports/highways

AMA road reports

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Hunting/Default.aspx

My Wild Alberta website gives access to all kinds of information about hunting in Alberta including hunting regulations and draw statistics. It also has access to Alberta RELM the site where you can apply for draws, check status of draws and buy your hunting license and your WIN card (Wildlife Information Number)which you need to buy a hunting or fishing license and to apply for draws.

This website is a must visit for anyone considering hunting in Alberta.

http://www.apos.ab.ca/

Is the website for the Alberta Professional Outfitters Society. As a non resident or non resident alien you must hunt with either a guide or hunter host in the province of Alberta.

Dwayne anything else you think I should add? Thanks GRF

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
GRF;
Thanks very much for your contribution sir I appreciate it.

At this point I can't think of anything else that you might have added.

In all honesty I'm not sure where I'd hoped this would lead, but thought the old "nothing ventured, nothing gained" may well apply - hence the attempt made here. grin

Thanks again and all the best to you and your fine family in 2012.

Dwayne

IC B2

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the kind wishes and the best to you and yours in 2012 as well. GRF

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow Fire members;
A couple other things occurred to me regarding this topic, so in no particular order here they are.

British Columbia:

When fueling up here, be forewarned that all stations are either set up for prepayment or pay at the pump. Although I understand some folks don't like that much, it's the law and they have no choice in the matter.

Speaking of fuel, the diesel is low sulfur and compatible with the newer engines. Actually the fuel quality of both types is quite good up here, but most US members will find the prices shocking - unless they are from rural Alaska and heading back home. wink

Canada;

I wasn't going to mention this subject seeing as it's been the source of more than one heated international debate here, but here goes anyway.

Healthcare - isn't that bad up here, but you really want to talk to your insurance provider to see what they will cover if something does go sideways on you.

I'd think that the farther off the beaten path you plan to hunt, the more questions you want to ask your insurance provider. The last thing you would need on a hunt is to pay for an air ambulance flight out of pocket - well or close to last anyway.

Hopefully some of this is a useful base for planning a hunt here in Canada. All the best luck to those who might be doing so.

Regards,
Dwayne

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
For those who have not been here for a while check the exchange rate, we are right around par not the .65 cent dollar of years past.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dwayne,
Great idea. I'll make the same offer wrt Alberta regs about sorting out queries as I am an AB Hunter Safety Ed instructor and Fishing Education program instructor.

If you are planning a hunt in AB and there is a chance to include fishing, do it! Be aware that ALL fishing in Alberta is barbless hooks only. At present the hook on the end of your line must be barbless but the ones in your tackle box/fly vest etc can still be barbed. It is important that you remember to pinch the barb before tying it to your line as the CO's have no mercy.

The Hunter Host program is an excellent program BUT it can be complicated to workout the details. If you have family or a good friend here it is very worthwhile utilizing it. You must be aware though that absolutely NO money or goods can change hands. No trip trading either. Very worthwhile opportunity to check out.

As GRF mentions, My Wild Alberta is an excellent portal to everything outdoors related.

Another excellent source of info is the Alberta Conservation Association where I sit on the BOD. We have a couple of free publications which would also assist in a trip to Alberta. One is the Discovery Guide. It lists where all the properties that are owned by the various conservation orgs in Alberta are located and the types of activities that are allowed. These are open to the public, day use, foot access only lands. Published annually
The other pub is called Conservation, it is published twice a year and outlines the research and habitat projects that the ACA and partner/member groups undertake. Excellent background info. Both pubs are avail online or in hardcopy @ www.ab-conservation.com
There is also an app for the Discovery Guide.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey, troutfly great website, I have yet to find this on my searches great add on. Thanks GRF

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
GRF: Thanks. I'm into my 6th and final year on the ACA BOD. As I sit as Public at Large I am limited to 2 three year terms.
The website was totally revamped a few years back. Even sitting on the Board and having access to all kinds of info I will often find myself looking at it. The folks that do the work are very commited to conservation and do a great job IMHO.
If you get the chance to visit the properties in the Guide you will find they are top notch habitat in need of protection which is why we acquired them.
Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing I can add .

If you are going to Canada take your expensive belongings , you gun ,your optics, your camera, and the like to the nearest customs and border patrol office . Fill out form 4457 http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4457.pdf This is a declaration for showing you took it with you . On my first time up I knew about the Canadian forms I needed for my gun and had them , however I did not know about this form from the USA. When I got back to US Customs they were looking and my brand new custom I had built for the hunt saying "how do I know your not importing this gun?" and yes they can confiscate your gun. Thank the Lord I had the Canadian forms showing I brought it in with me . This form is for any expensive personal effects they will need to verify the serial # and stamp the form. It is good for 5 years I think.

US Fish and wildlife
If you harvest an animal you will need to have these forms with you . Filling them out before you get to customs will make your life much more pleasant. It is Declarations form 3-177 http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/Info_Importers_Exporters.htm

bringing your meat home
Currently there are no restrictions but check the day before you leave with USDA/ FDA/USF&W. TSA always checks it and my horns.
You must have your hunting license handy at the customs counter to prove that you are the hunter and that this meat is for your personal consumption .

I usually fill in these forms for the intended species I am hunting and print them out at home this way its done and all I have to do is sign it if I get something.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Jeff I will most certainly check them out.

Wildone thanks for the input things a canuck would not have thought of.

GRF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love the real Canada its a great place, You know everything west of Quebec. smile LOL

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For you guys hunting bear and wolf among other things: www.cites.org would be of importance.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by wildone
I love the real Canada its a great place, You know everything west of Quebec. smile LOL

I know we like to pick on Quebec but it has some great hunting and fishing. I dream of visiting the Gaspe with my fly rod in one hand and a Wheatly fly box full of dry Wulff patterns in the other. There is incredible fishing for Atlantic salmon there.
Get away from the urban areas of Quebec and the people are pretty real.
But ya the West rocks!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bump. There must be more we can add as Canada is a fairly big place.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have to say I have hunted Quebec for Caribou. I could not have timed it more perfectly . If I didn't see 5000 caribou that trip I would be surprised, it was amazing! Great country up there and the lake trout were nothing but pure fun.Have been to BC,AB,SK and QE and loved every trip thanks for sharing with me guys , you have no idea what this stuff really means to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
remember your are heading NORTH hunting seasons are eariler and Colder,think of open windy plains or mountains that can create there own weather,be over prepared rather than underprepared,makes for a better time.
good hunting
norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow Campfire Members:
I'm going to bump this one to the top as there have been a couple of threads lately specifically asking for information regarding hunts in BC - bear and moose.

The other bit of new information that I'll share and please note that this is just my opinion on the matter and nothing more.

Since it now appears that our infamous long gun registry is being put down, there have been a number of inquiries here and elsewhere as to how that will affect visiting hunters or folks just passing through who wish to travel with firearms.

If it were me, I'd suggest that the visiting hunters follow the above links and obtain the very latest information posted there.

Then if at all possible I'd print copies of what the sites say for the requirements of a visiting hunter and have that, along with the websites ready in hand when you hit Canadian Border Services.

While I might be overlooking something, it wouldn't surprise me if there is a bit of confusion by all branches of LEO for the first while here as to what they are and aren't enforcing anymore.

As many - even most LEO in Canada aren't "gun folks" - it might be a small way to help smooth the crossing out. Sometimes a bit of printed information and a way to go to the source can really speed up everyone's day.

Hopefully that is some use to someone out there. Good luck on your hunts folks and welcome to Canada.

Regards,
Dwayne

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.