Print Thread
Hop To
G
Gadfly Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
JB- You mentioned in the Combo gun thread a few days ago that you had a 16ga. x 6.5x57R Drilling with a .22lr insert. Have you written a detailed article on this gun yet?

That particular combination strikes me as the perfect all around hunting rig and I was wondering about a few specifics, such as:

Is one of the shotgun barrels regulated to the rifle barrel for slug or ball?

What kind of accuracy are you getting with the .22 insert, and does the insert hold regulation well?

Is there anything you would change about your Drilling if you could, as far as triggers, cocking, barrel selection, sights, etc.?

I would greatly appreciate any insight you could provide.

ego operor non tutela
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since I have had and used a drilling for about 50 years I will give my opinion.

A fancy drilling with many 'toys' is what we want however its not really needed to get something and to be ready for it.

A simple two barrel combo gun would do it.

Having a .22 lr insert really complicates things and to worry about if a shotgun barrel is 'regulated' with solids is beyond need.

A shot gun barrel loaded with shot will bag about anything and a rifle barrel will reach the rest.

Now we all want more but I have extra scopes for the drilling and I don't carry them.

To each his own.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I haven't written much about this drilling yet. I haven't tried shooting slugs in the shotgun barrels, because they're choked the typical German tight and tighter, and such barrels rarely shoot slugs well. The accuracy of the .22 insert doesn't match my Kimber Hunter, but then the Hensoldt scope on the drilling has a very thick post reticle. But it's still plenty accurate enough for, say, cottntails at typical ranges, and does hold regulation well.

The only thing I'm thinking of changing is the safety button. Like many drillings, it has a Greener-style safety on the side of the grip. While the button is checkered, it's just about the same level as the stock wood. It would be much handier if built up a little so it could be pushed easier, so I'm thinking of having the top built up a little.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll second JB's comment on the Greener safety button. Both of mine are nearly flush, and I wish they were more proud of the surroundings.

One feature that both of mine share is an automatic pop up rear sight. That is, when you put the barrel selector to the rifle position, the rear sight automatically pops up, via an actuating rod that passes down the inside of the rib. While it's a really cool feature, and it lets you know at an instant that you're in the rifle or shotgun mode; it's a very fragile, and complicated mechanism. One of mine has been giving me fits, and won't see the hunting fields again until it is fixed. The tip of the actuator in my action gets tweaked, and doesn't line up with the plunger in the rib extension of the barrels, and jams up the selector button, and freezes the gun into one mode or the other. Not good. I'm seriously considering removing the feature, and install a simple fold up rear sight, like the plainer grade drillings are equipped with. Sometimes drillings have too dang many moving parts!

Contrary to 99's comment on whether the left shot barrel will throw a slug near the rifle, I am interested, and have tried it. Mine is close enough at around 25 yards for hunting in bear country. At least in my 9.3x74R, as it has Briley choke tubes, and I have the luxury of putting an open tube in, that's compatible with slugs. Like JB's, my 7x65R has the original super full chokes, so common of the genre. Not conducive to slug shooting.

Have no experience with barrel inserts, so no comments on them.

Be warned.....drillings are addictive!

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm a combo shooter and keep my 1x4x20mm scope on all the time, on 1x it works pretty well for birds on the wing. I do take it to the trap range and practice with it.

I use mine mainly for coyote hunting as it is perfect for the ones that sneek into the call and you dont see them until they are at your shoe laces or the one that hangs up on the next hillside. I have a shell holder on the stock and keep a #5 TM shotshell(pheasant and ducks), two Bismuth BB shotshells(coyote and geese), two full load 5.6x50R Mag shells(52gr HP) and two lightly loaded 35gr HP's(small game,Fox, Bobcat and finishers that won't blow up pelts on coyotes).

Everything shoots very close to point of aim. The full loaded rifle 1" high at 200yrds, the light loads right on at 100yrds and the shotgun dead on at 30yrds all with the same scope setting.

[Linked Image]

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

G
Gadfly Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks JB (and the rest of you, as well). Drillings are about the only thing left out there that I haven't acquired yet that still interest me, as far as firearms are concerned.

It's good to know about the delicacy of the pop-up sight, that was another thing I was curious about, but forgot to ask. I also understand that there are different configurations, depending on the maker, of safeties and selectors. The Sauers seem to all have the Greener side safety, does any maker offer a regular tang safety with the rifle cocker/decocker on the side?

ego operor non tutela
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Most of old one possess this system. The newly made drilling (Merkel, Krieghoff, Zoli...) possess a separate safety and/or cocking device just behind the opening key.
Some are a bit complex but once learnt they are easy to use.
Problem these combination guns are very expansive except may be the Zoli which is good one even if not made in Germany.

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JB's 16-6.5X57 drilling is a peach! It has the shorter Kreighoff einstecklauf in 22 mag that is regulated to the scope at about 50 meters. Here is the set up. It also has a masterful roebuck carving with excellent forest background detail on the butt stock.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guns with master stock carvings are highly prized in Germany and Austria.

Here is an older Sauer made Charles Daly 16/16/30-30 with good wood, sidelock, side-cock, tang safety, tang peep and rib flip up rear sights. The beauty of this configuration, other than the esthetics of a sidelock is that you can cock and un-cock the rifle with the side lever. It was a sweet handling gun on the smaller frame.
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/luv2safari/1630-306-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/luv2safari/1630-304-1.jpg[/img]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Just a link about some combination guns not well know in US of A but which sell very well in Europe (even Germany)
Don't look at prices you can get hearth attack but enjoy the pictures...

http://www.mathelon-armes.com

Dom wink

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This big Simson/Suhl 12/12/9,3X74R drilling has the longer Kreighoff insert. This gun shot the 9,3X74R into a ragged hole if you let the barrel cool between shots.

[Linked Image]

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Since I have had and used a drilling for about 50 years I will give my opinion.

A fancy drilling with many 'toys' is what we want however its not really needed to get something and to be ready for it.

To each his own.

[Linked Image]

Yep, and I like the toys and a right barrel regulated at 80 meters to an original Brenneke slug. I actually had occasion to use the slug in one of my drillings on a pig hunt in central California. My first shot with the 8X57JR round didn't stop the big Russian bore cross, and it was headed to the thickest schidt you'll ever encounter. The Brenneke slug whalloped him before he got there.

I shoot a lot of cottontail with my insert barrels; I don't like them with big bird shot all through the meat.

That is a very clean looking drilling, BTW. What is the rifle? cool cool

G
Gadfly Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thank you all for the pics and the info, those are certainly some fine looking guns. I'm a bit away from a purchase, unless I happen to stumble across a ridiculous bargain, but I will have a Drilling someday.

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by writing_frog

Just a link about some combination guns not well know in US of A but which sell very well in Europe (even Germany)
Don't look at prices you can get hearth attack but enjoy the pictures...

http://www.mathelon-armes.com

Dom wink

The Mathelon are some of the finest sporting arms ever made in my opinion.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.