-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My friend used to work for Ponderosa steak house. They got to work and took all the steaks and put them in restaurant totes and covered them with papaya juice. That is how they made their crappy steaks tender. The enzyme papayin tenderizes meat. Either papaya juice or as the active ingredient in Adolph's meat tenderizer.

You can leave it on too long. More importantly than how it's on is how long you cook the meat it's on. Long slow cooked meats, it's generally going to turn to mush. I use Adolph's on small pieces of meat I'm going to stir fry. I don't use it a lot, but if I don't have time to slow cook to tenderize, I cut the meat in small pieces, give it a shake, and stir fry.

I saw an episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown about marinades once. He said that people marinade meats in acidic marinades to tenderize them. This doesn't work. Acids dissolve meat very slowly and it's enzymes, not acids that are mainly responsible for breaking down meats. From basic biology I would have to agree. He said that the juice of papaya and pineapples have powerful enzymes that work well to tenderize meat. I have heard the same several times since. I have only used Adolph's, and believe it works and I don't expect acids to tenderize meats. I use them for flavor only. So far, it checks out.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rob p
My friend used to work for Ponderosa steak house. They got to work and took all the steaks and put them in restaurant totes and covered them with papaya juice. That is how they made their crappy steaks tender. The enzyme papayin tenderizes meat. Either papaya juice or as the active ingredient in Adolph's meat tenderizer.

You can leave it on too long. More importantly than how it's on is how long you cook the meat it's on. Long slow cooked meats, it's generally going to turn to mush. I use Adolph's on small pieces of meat I'm going to stir fry. I don't use it a lot, but if I don't have time to slow cook to tenderize, I cut the meat in small pieces, give it a shake, and stir fry.

I saw an episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown about marinades once. He said that people marinade meats in acidic marinades to tenderize them. This doesn't work. Acids dissolve meat very slowly and it's enzymes, not acids that are mainly responsible for breaking down meats. From basic biology I would have to agree. He said that the juice of papaya and pineapples have powerful enzymes that work well to tenderize meat. I have heard the same several times since. I have only used Adolph's, and believe it works and I don't expect acids to tenderize meats. I use them for flavor only. So far, it checks out.

Good info.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used Adolph's as well, but I strive to find the "salt free" kind, so I can still put other stuff with it.

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It pays to read the label,some are salt and MSG. Papain is what you want. Bob

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,648
Posts18,455,427
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.