Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to have 2-3 days in London to hang out and visit. It's non-hunting but I need to get an idea of any interesting places that are must see.

I want to stay some place we can walk to see the sights, so maybe within a 2 mile radius of the important cultural stuff. My girlfriend and I will be traveling and we leave from London to go back to the states. I arranged some free time at the end to let her see london and stonehenge. I suppose we will find a tour for that or hire a car?

Thanks for all the input I can get on this.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would hit the tourist sights. Tower of London was worth my time due to the historical significance. Take a Beefeater tour, they are former military and very entertaining. Westminster Abbey, Buckingham, St. Pauls Cathedral, and the Changing of the Guard all were worth my time.

If you are looking for ideas beyond those, check out the London gunshops. Holland and Holland, Purdy, Beretta, William and Son all are in the downtown area. I found the men at Purdy to be very informative and helpful. They showed me their gunroom and let me handle guns I will never have a chance to again. Also, I had one of their "gun guys" fit me for a shotgun so I know what fits me.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another vote for the Tower of London.

I visited about 1997, and it has a fantastic gun collection going back before medieval times.

I was there on a very slow day, and one of the curators noticed my interest in some early (ca 1550) air rifles. There was almost nobody else around the firearms (there was some special event that week regarding the Crown Jewels and everybody was oogling them), so the curator brought out a pair of white cotton gloves and opened the cases so I could handle these fine ancient rifles. I handled quite a few more modern guns, but it was these very old powerful compressed air rifles that impressed me the most.

Anyway, unless things have changed, the Tower of London is well worth it if you are at all interested in fine OLD firearms. Of course, you can see all of Henry the VIIIth's suits of armor as he got fatter and fatter... There is a lot of neat stuff there!

John

Last edited by jpb; 01/09/12. Reason: typoooooo
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys, now I need to find a hotel for under 300 bucks a night! Holy cow, And guys complain about a daily rite for hunting! at least I include a PH in my rates, not just a bed and TV!

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Thanks guys, now I need to find a hotel for under 300 bucks a night! Holy cow, And guys complain about a daily rite for hunting! at least I include a PH in my rates, not just a bed and TV!

Actually, according to some sleazy folk who approached me in the street, some of the hotels in Soho will include a PH (Professional Hooker)... grin

I have no idea about prices though -- not my kind of action! eek

John

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If you rent a car to go to stonehenge then just do a day rental, you don't want a car in downtown London. Parking is outrageous and you have the congestion fee to deal with which is a high priced permit to drive in the downtown area.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
... hotel for under 300 bucks a night!

Maybe go for the countryside instead. Renting a cottage or something like that and commute to London in the morning with train/tube. That�s alot cheaper than staying in London.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think the bus tour is easier to stonehenge, hiring a car is the other option. I walk a lot, My GF and I are looking forward to the walking part of the trip as much as the train from St, Maritz to Paris and then the chunnel

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Don't know how long you'll stay in France but remember Paris not France, if you get time tour the "chateaux de la Loire" and push to Normandie. With the TGV hi speed train the city of Lyon is 1h40 to ce center of Paris. Bruxelles in Belgium the same. Nice places to go. I will not speak of my towm of Marseille, which is going dirtier every days but around is the fantastic Provence which today is becoming more and more american (wealthy one for sure.
TGV can take you there in 3h15 then you can rent a car to tour to Cote d'Azur or Luberon...
When do you go there? PM me i can give you my phone number in case of trouble if you going south.

Dom
Enjoy your trip.

Dom.

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tower of London & WM Abbey for sure; maybe a play in the West End depending on what's on.

Last time I was there I stayed at a place on the river but can't remember it's name for sure, been a while.........Horsehead rings a bell though.

MM

IC B3

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have four days of meetings work in/ near Amsterdam. From there I have to get to St moritz or zermatt so we can take the glacier express. Then I would like to avoid a hotel in St moritz due to the hotel prices. Nothing under 500 usd per night I can find.

From there to Paris for a few days. Then thru the chunnel to London. It would be nice to switch trains in zermatt to head to Paris without a hotel as well. What's up with St moritz? The low price hotel is 500 bucks!

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's up with St moritz? The low price hotel is 500 bucks!

I have used this website when I travel to a new city:

Website to compare hotels (including costs)

You can get all kinds of info on this website too...

Hope it helps.

John

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Try tripadvisor.com for hotels and opinions.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I'm originally from the UK and I would look at the Imperial War Museum, the British Museum or the Victoria and Albert Museum. The IWM is a MUST see.

Forget hotels; go with Bed and Breakfast places, lots of them in London and a fraction of pricey hotels. Google is going to be your friend and look for sites with actual reviews from real folks who have stayed there recently. Stonehenge is well, underwhelming unless you absolutely have to see it. I would stay in London and see the museums and visit the aforementioned high end gun shops. You can always visit Harrods and Fortnums and Masons (high end shopping) for the female unit. Don't forget the London Eye, Houses of Parliament, Tower of London, Buckingham Palace and well, a crap load of historical and cultural places.

DON'T get sucked in by con men selling all kinds of tourist crap, there are hundreds of 'em in London. Have a good time but seriously, pass on Stonehenge. If you want to get out of the city, go see Windsor Castle instead. It's a lot closer to London and there's a lot more to see.

Have some fish and chips for me as well as some English beer.... ;-)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
I would hit the tourist sights. Tower of London was worth my time due to the historical significance. Take a Beefeater tour, they are former military and very entertaining. Westminster Abbey, Buckingham, St. Pauls Cathedral, and the Changing of the Guard all were worth my time.

If you are looking for ideas beyond those, check out the London gunshops. Holland and Holland, Purdy, Beretta, William and Son all are in the downtown area. I found the men at Purdy to be very informative and helpful. They showed me their gunroom and let me handle guns I will never have a chance to again. Also, I had one of their "gun guys" fit me for a shotgun so I know what fits me.

ddj

I'll second ddj. Having spent a number of years in the UK while in the USAF, seems everyone wanted to come and visit - and tour London. It was my experience that booking a tour that encompassed as many of the sights as possible in a day was the best money. Likewise, finding lodging outside London and commuting by train is a viable alternative to the high cost of London hotels. You'll likely find that all of your lodging (outside London) will be less than a single night in London. Don't forget about Bed & Breakfast offerings.

Lastly, get the addresses for the various guns shops(Purdey, H&H, Boss, Evans, Beretta, etc) and plot them on a London map as best you can. Then plan on using the London taxi services to get you from shop to shop. It will be time well spent. I can't count how many times I went to H&H, and was amazed each and every time I was there.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Hello trouthunterdj I agree with you tripadvisor.com is one of the best travel portal where you can find any travel related informations.Try it hopefully you get benefited.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Imperial War Museum is a must. Also the British Museum, the Victoria and Albert and the Science Museum are all fantastic and all free. The Tower of London is expensive, but well worth doing at least once.

Stonehenge is a must. There's nothing else like it. I'd take a train to Salisbury from Waterloo station, see Salisbury Cathedral, stop for lunch and a pint at the Haunch of Venison (pub from the 14th century) and then take a bus tour to Stonehenge.

A great walk in London is from Victoria station to Buckingham Palace, from BP to Trafalgar Square on the Mall (pronounced Mal) through the Admiralty Arch to Trafalgar Square, Nelson's Column and the National Portrait Gallery, then down Whitehall past 10 Downing St & Churchhill's underground bunker to the Houses of Parliment, the London Eye and Westminster Abbey. You could make a nice day of it if you stopped at all the museums along the way.

Last edited by natman; 01/17/12.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by natman
A great walk in London is from Victoria station to Buckingham Palace, from BP to Trafalgar Square on the Mall (pronounced Mal) through the Admiralty Arch to Trafalgar Square, Nelson's Column and the National Portrait Gallery, then down Whitehall past 10 Downing St & Churchhill's underground bunker to the Houses of Parliment, the London Eye and Westminster Abbey. You could make a nice day of it if you stopped at all the museums along the way.

That is a great walk, You can also arrive at Charing Cross Station and then start at Trafalgar Square. Depends which train or tube line is most convenient.

ddj

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So much to see in a 3-4 day stretch!

I'm a bit overwhelmed with options right now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Originally Posted by natman

That is a great walk, You can also arrive at Charing Cross Station and then start at Trafalgar Square. Depends which train or tube line is most convenient.

The only problem is that Trafalgar Square is pretty much in the middle of the walk. If you start there, in order to see everything you'd have to walk between Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace and it's a fairly long walk with not a lot of interest on it, at least nothing as nice as a walk down the Mall with the parks on each side.

You could do it starting from Westminster station and do it in reverse, but Westminster is on the same Underground line (District) as Victoria, so it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 74 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.