Print Thread
Hop To
F
fezant Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Recently bought some 165 gr. 30 cal. cast bullets I plan to load for a 30-30 and a 30-40. Any one have any good loads?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're looking for loads you could do much worse than asking here. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45 What is the purpose of your loads? Target? Plinking? Hunting?

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What Selmer said,,,,and be sure to read the stickies at CB,,,,lot's of info to absorb there.

Life is a journey of many trails, the trail you choose, is not as important as how you walk it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Another good source is Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
F
fezant Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Thanks guys, I'll check that web site, I have Lyman's cast bullet book, just not with me. Plan to use the loads for meat deer and fall turkey and just to plink.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alliant 2400, Unique, 4895, and Varget are all good choices to start with.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
best to check your bullets' fit to the barrel and don't try to run the velocity up like you do in jacketed bullets.

I'd stick around 2100fps or so for best accuracy, most likely.

1800-2000 fps is pleanty for deer. smile

Just have to know your drop at more than 100yds.

I shot a deer at 160 yds a few years ago, vel was 1850 fps at the muzzle.

Last edited by blammer; 11/27/11.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use a 180gr cast bullet in my 30-06, it sizes to .309. Cronogrphed it a year or so ago and it hit's just under 2000fps. I use the lyman manual and the Lee manual. Lot of loads in the Lee Manual. I suggest you put a 14 piece of toilet paper over the powder. Tamp it down with the eraser end of a pencil, keeps all the powder up against the flash hole.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would NOT use TP for a filler, if you must use a filler. With filler you run the risk of damaging your barrel on the next shot.

for 30gr of IMR3031, no filler needed. smile

Last edited by blammer; 12/01/11.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by blammer
I would NOT use TP for a filler, if you must use a filler. With filler you run the risk of damaging your barrel on the next shot.

I must strongly disagree with you on usint TP as a fillet. One a 1/4 square of TP is way too small to do anything and upon firing the round, if the wind is in your face, you'll get a bit of confetti hitting you square on.
Personally, I normally use a one grain tuft of dacron to tamp lightly against the powder. I used kapok way before then and never a problem with either. I started shooting cast and reloading in 1954 for a handgun I owned and two years later started centerfire rifles loading for a 30-30. Never had a problem with TP, kapok or dacron. WSere I di have a minor problem was in using a cereal filler, in this case Cream of Wheat. (COW) I was loading 17.0 gr. of SR4759 under a Lyman #457122 bullet, a 330 gr. hollowpoint and used the filler to hold the rather small charge against the back of the shell. No apparent pressure problems, the load was accurate and velocity was about 1750 FPS. One round was a dud, apparently a bad ot contaminated primer. I pulled the bullet and that COW was packed so tight I had to use a screwdriver to dig it out of the case. I've seen one article for sure in print where the author recommended COW as a filler in the 30-06. I would think that if it compacted as hard at it did in the 45-70 that wierd pressure problems could very easily arise.
But even a tamped down full square of TP would not be a problem. I'd be very surprised if a full square of TP even came close to weighing more than a full grain. Granted, some brands are more flimsy than others but even the stoutest most likely wouldn't go past 1.5 grains. Most of tht TP would be consumed in the flame of the blast anyway and not all that much would be blown out the muzzle unless the load was quite light. I have a gallery load for the 30-06 that shoots a 115 gr to 120 gr. cast bullet over 5.0 gr. of Unique. A quarter square of TP is used to hold the powder next to the primer. When I pull the rigger, very fine pieces of shredded TP exit the muzzle and if the wind is in my face, confetti happens. No big deal.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Your right about the confetti! First time I tried it the stuff really caught my attention. I use TP because there is always some around the house. Don't have to go out and buy anything special.

A bigger load of slower powder will probably work and I have used IMR 3031 and IMR 4064 with good results. Data for the slower powders came from the Lee manual. Probably didn't need the filler but use it any way. Bet a 1/4 sheet of TP is lighter than the COW you'd need to do the same job.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
check out Rocky Rabb's site. Especially his Universal 30 cal load. I've had excellent results using that load.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The thing with ANY filler is it must fill ALL of the air space between the powder and the base of the bullet. By tamping the filler down on the powder and leaving a bunch of air space un-filled, you run the very, very, real risk of ringing the chamber. This is not old wives tale but a well documented phenomenon. Research it and report back if you don't believe me.

Essentially the filler is a secondary projectile inside the case and as it rushes forward, and before the bullet starts moving, air is compressed mightily for like a 100,000th of second and it is that compression that causes the ring in the chamber wall. Believe it or not, 'tis true.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on Lyman's cast bullet manual
For 30/30, assuming these are gas checked, just reduce normal 170gr jacketed loads, and work up. The great thing about the 30/30 is that the jacketed loads run at about the same max velocity as cast gas checked bullets.
This gives good load densities, and avoids the issues with fillers, powder position, and other variables involved in reduced loads.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have shot lots of cast bullets in my .35 Whelen, started with IMR 4759 but due to erratic availability have switched to Unique. I have some .30 caliber 165gr. cast bullets and plan to load 10gr. Unique, will shoot them in my Winchester 1895 .30-06. BTW Unique gave excellent accuracy in my Whelen with cast bullets from 200gr. to 225gr. I use my RCBS Little Dandy measure to throw the loads and only check weigh when starting to load, the charges as thrown work fine.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Originally Posted by blammer

I must strongly disagree with you on usint TP as a fillet. One a 1/4 square of TP is way too small to do anything and upon firing the round, if the wind is in your face, you'll get a bit of confetti hitting you square on.
Personally, I normally use a one grain tuft of dacron to tamp lightly against the powder. I used kapok way before then and never a problem with either. I started shooting cast and reloading in 1954 for a handgun I owned and two years later started centerfire rifles loading for a 30-30. Never had a problem with TP, kapok or dacron. WSere I di have a minor problem was in using a cereal filler, in this case Cream of Wheat. (COW) I was loading 17.0 gr. of SR4759 under a Lyman #457122 bullet, a 330 gr. hollowpoint and used the filler to hold the rather small charge against the back of the shell. No apparent pressure problems, the load was accurate and velocity was about 1750 FPS. One round was a dud, apparently a bad ot contaminated primer. I pulled the bullet and that COW was packed so tight I had to use a screwdriver to dig it out of the case. I've seen one article for sure in print where the author recommended COW as a filler in the 30-06. I would think that if it compacted as hard at it did in the 45-70 that wierd pressure problems could very easily arise.
But even a tamped down full square of TP would not be a problem. I'd be very surprised if a full square of TP even came close to weighing more than a full grain. Granted, some brands are more flimsy than others but even the stoutest most likely wouldn't go past 1.5 grains. Most of tht TP would be consumed in the flame of the blast anyway and not all that much would be blown out the muzzle unless the load was quite light. I have a gallery load for the 30-06 that shoots a 115 gr to 120 gr. cast bullet over 5.0 gr. of Unique. A quarter square of TP is used to hold the powder next to the primer. When I pull the rigger, very fine pieces of shredded TP exit the muzzle and if the wind is in my face, confetti happens. No big deal.
Paul B.

Disagree with me, that's fine, I was just stating what I would do.

For me, my ammo gets jostled around quite a bit before it gets shot, so the TP would most likely get dislodged or powder would creep around it, making it not behave properly. That would be bad.

Hey, it's your gun do what you want.

Last edited by blammer; 12/27/11.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on castboolits.com , and the lyman manual, but also check out Lee's guide to reloading volume 2...very informative on what pressures to use with what hardness,s...also recommend getting a Lee hardness tester...it will open your eyes.

A great load that will work in any centerfire;(believe me I've checked many times and so have others) comes from Hodgdon Trail Boss;
1) Mark the case with a sharpie where the bottom of the bullet will be seated.
2)Fill case with trailboss to level marked on case.
3) Weigh this charge.. it will be your 100% load.
4) Multiply your 100% load by 70%. This will be your starting minimum load.
Example: if your 100% load was 16grs..when multiplied by 70%
you get 11.2grs. (this is my 257Roberts cast load data as an example)

You can load Trailboss safely anywhere in between 70-100% case capacity (from the seated bullet down.)according to numerous techs at Hodgdon, in anything from a 22 Hornet to the 45-70.
I've used this on anything from 25-20,257Bob,356 Win,45-70 and it works. As always check with Hodgdon yourself, and work up your loads in your rifle accordingly from the starting load.

These loads are great for plinking, small game/varmints, and as in the case of my 356 Win, deer.

Hope this helps,
johnny

No Farmers---No Food
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
For my 30-30 I mainly shoot two load using the Lee 170 gr. RNFP. The first load is my general purpose plinking/small game load. Bullet is cast from straight WW alloy BHN 12 two light coats of Lee Alox/JPW lube is applied and the gas check is left off. I use 7.0 grs. of Alliant Red Dot which I throw form my RCBS Lil Dandy using the #16 rotor,your charge weight may vary,MV on the chrono runs right at 1230+ fps. no filler needed.

For Big game hunting loads I use the same bullet with the gas check applied,bullets are ranch dipped and run back through the sizer base first,it fills the lube grooves nicely and leaves the nose nice and clean. My go to load is 30.0 grs. of H-335 MV chrono's just a little over 2000 fps. Accuracy with both loads is a good as you can hold it.

In my 7.62 x 54r M44 I use either The Load 13.0 grs. Red Dot http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/TheLoad.html or The Universal Load 16.0 grs. Alliant 2400. I use the Lee 160 gr. gas check tumble lube bullet which I also shoot in my SKS rifles. I use no filler with either the Red Dot or 2400 in any of my loads and have never had any issue,I sent Mr. Harris a PM several years ago and ask about that and his reply was it wasn't needed with those powders.

Last edited by res45; 01/07/12.

Artisan in Lead, bullets and powder
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Try here.

Can search by caliber, bullet, powder

http://www.castpics.net/project2/CastDatalist.php

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
F
fezant Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Just got back to this post after not looking at it for awhile. Thanks everyone for all the advice and suggestions!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (160user, 1234, 10ring1, 16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,891
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.