Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use Unique loads all the time. Here's how ya do it.

U nique through the woods, find a deer, and blast him. grin

All kidding aside, it is a very usable powder.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have run quite a few of the faster pistol powders thru my 44 mags like W231, Unique, Universal Clays. The H110 gives my better accuracy though.
Although I have never done it,the H110 pretty much assures me that I won't double charge and I have always like a higher density case loading with any reload with the exception of my plinking loads I use at the range.Then it is all about getting the most loads out of a can of powder and still do the job.

As long as one stickes with a 240 gr or heavier bullet,I doubt you could find a bullet on the market that would not do the job on whitetail. I don't think you need one of those super hard cast heavier bullets though.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haven't used anything yet but 2400, but have H110. Just have lots more 2400 and it's always done the job in revolver and rifle.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I read Ed Hall's article, too. His 44 MAG is a Thompson Center with fast rifling twist. That's why he can shoot those 300 grain bullets so well. Try these bullets with a slow twisat and plan on being disappointed.

In my opinion, the mighty 44 MAG does its BEST work at about 100 yards and less. This is not a handicap for hunting within forests and foothills.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
O
okhill Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Sherwood,Thanks for the feedback. Never would I classify one deer caliber "mighty" as you state, over another, especially one that I have never fired. However I just reread the article that Ed Hall wrote for FF&G's January issue and the only mention I saw towards TC was .45. ( FF&G is the greatest outdoor magazine in my opinion)I'm not looking to go over 100yds. I hate the term brush gun, because I don't try to kill brush,but looking for a light weight carbine/rifle to hunt thick, mountainous, often times swampy woods with close up shots. Thanks for everyone's feedback. I'd gladly appreciate if anyone has another suggestion for a lightweight lever caliber. I love the lever action.

Last edited by okhill; 12/27/11.

Sucess only comes before work in the dictionary.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a little WW 94 Stainless Trapper that was a special run about 15 years ago. It's definatly my favorite carry Carbine, weighs about 5 lbs, holds 10 rounds, & is super accurate! I only shoot A 280gr LBT hard Cast bullets with the wide flat nose meplat. I use a maximum load of WW 296 powder & it Chrono's right at 1800fps & does not lead my barrel. With factory open sights it will group 5 shots into 2"s @ 100yds off the sand bags! Never killed a deer with it, but i have taken a truck load of feral hogs up to 300lbs. It will exit the hogs 95% of the time & I've NEVER had a hog take more than a a couple of steps after being shot with this rifle & bullet. I used to use the Sierra 180 gr HP bullet but it's going so fast it does not exit... I would not be afraid to use it on Elk, Black Bears, or big Mulie's with this bullet/powder combo!!! If it will put the big Feral Hog Boars down like it does, it will certainly take all the deer you want. I try to keep my shots under 100 yards, though, because past that distance, your front sight covers the whole animal. By the way, it what we here in Texas call a " West Texas Assault Rifle" it works every time & does not scare the neighbors like my "black guns", but is just as or more deadly at close range, & if you need more than 10 rounds, you better go back to the range & practice....

Last edited by chlinstructor; 12/28/11. Reason: Spelling

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lhead71
I had the same question until I took it to the range. I have a Browning model 92, it is the lightest, handiest lever gun I have ever pulled the trigger on. I ran a box of Winchester white box 240 JSP's over the chrony and they averaged 1725 FPS, I think that is plenty for shots inside 150 yards. You will do well with it.
......I shoot 270gr bullets(handloads) @1490fps.. they go clean thur a both lungs of blk bear and are still going as far as i can tell @<20 yards wink... moose shot in the neck fall to..With a ".44 hole and a deer" i'd load some "lighter fast flat points" and send them deer to the dinner table...Without alot recoil and some "on target" follow up shots....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
+1 on the "White Box" Winchester 240 JSP load. Best factory load in the 44mag, period. Shoots well in just about every 44 mag rifle I've tried it in. Converted about 6 or 7 of my friends to this one. Highly effective and fairly cheap.

Good luck, Tom

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
for a store bought round for deer use

I have been hunting with the 250gr Nosler partition gold Winchester.

That's out of a Ruger 44 Deerfield semi auto carbine.

does wonders on cedar trees laugh blush

I didn't know they were discontinued. I will savor the two boxes I have for now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am very fond of my Marlin 1894S, and the 270 grain Speer GDSP over H110 powder. This combination will kill deer and hogs dead, right there.
The load is zippy, at 1620fps, and gives consistent three shot, 100 yard groups, of 1.5 inches. At 50 yards, it cuts clover leaf patterns in the target.
I use a scope, because my eyes are just not what they used to be. For a long time, I used a Leupold 2.5X, but I recently switched to a Nikon African with a German #4 reticle. This is an amazing scope for clarity and light gathering.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The .44 Magnum handgun has killed everything that walks including the Big 5. In a rifle it's even better.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I shoot a 20" 1894PG Marlin. That rifle is lethal on deer and hogs, big ones, at 125yds. Thats as far as I have taken anything with it. And, it's dead on. I shoot ironsight and it is my go to piece. I shoot Winchester White box 240's and it is a killer. I have shot some big CorBons, and DRT. Enjoy.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,314
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.