Print Thread
Hop To
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm thinking about replacing my giant, 12 pound rectangular cold weather bag with one of Western Mountaineering's bags. Got a question: Microfiber or Gore WindStopper? What does the Gore Windstopper provide that MicroFiber doesn't? Is it worth the extra bulk and weight for the same temp rating?

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It is not worth it in my opinion. I have one bag with microfiber and one with the extremlight fabric. The gore will decrease the ability of the bag to breath a little, but is supposed to be more waterproof. That being said, I have taken my microfiber bag and put a puddle of water on it overnight. None of the water soaked through. I'm not sure why anyone would need something more waterproof than that.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I went with micro fiber because I worried about breathing issues,no regrets
Tim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't own a WM but have read a lot about them, and the above posts reflect what I've found on other forums.

Has anyone got an opinion on WM vs. Kifaru Slick? I'm looking at the 0 deg slick and the Antelope. Not sure if the extra dollars for the WM would be worth it.

Last edited by RockChucker30; 01/18/12.
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks, guys.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm all for microfiber; after owning some items w/ gore windstopper I personally have no use for it. My MF WM bag breathes like it ought to.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
slick bag is what I sold to get my W M bag,enough said
Tim

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
microfiber is great for me.

Comparing the WM antelope and Kifaru slick is apples to oranges. First you have to decide between down and synthetic. Once you've made that choice then start comparing the bags down vs down or synthetic vs synthetic.

I love down, I keep it dry and I don't go to bed with wet hunting clothes on. If I ever hunted some place like alaska I might consider a synthetic bag.

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think I have that worked out now. I guess what's next is deciding which one. What would I get the most use out of vs where's the biggest hole in my equipment lineup?

I think I'm good to 35-40 degrees, so I'm waffling between a 15-25 degree bag for elk season where I might maybe see snow vs the 5 degree bag for mid winter coyote trips.

Here's a followup question: I'm a stomach sleeper. My chiropractor doesn't like it ... tough [bleep], it's stomach sleeping or laying there all night wishing I was sleeping. That being the case, "hooded" bag or not? Thoughts?

Here be dragons ...
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I sleep on my side and still much prefer a hooded bag in cold weather. You just can't use any of the brands with no bottom insulation or that hold the sleeping pad in a pocket. Since you're looking at a WM- no problem. I find I can sleep comfortably in my 0 degree bags into pretty mild temperatures by opening up the bag's zipper and wearing it like an open quilt.
Continuous baffles also help with comfort range. You can shake most of the down into the bottom of the bag for mild nights. WM bags are so light there's not much weight penalty for carrying a winter bag instead of a 20 degree bag.
My good down bag is not a WM but the specs are similar. It weighs less than any of my older 20 degree synthetic bags.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a WM Antelope with Gore Windstopper. I bought it used so I didn't have a lot choice with the Windstopper. If I were to buy another WM bag I will get one with Microfiber. For me the Microfiber is water resistant enough and I feel Windstopper is not worth the extra weight.

I don't have a Kifaru slick bag but I have a Mountain Hardwear Phantom 0 and a Marmot Lithium (both 0 degree bags) and I would say the Antelope has more loft than either one of the them. I've been warm in the Antelope down to -6 degrees.

I'm a side sleeper and I roll around a lot. I prefer a bag with a hood for when its cold. When its warmer I don't zip my bag up all the way and have even laid my head on top of the hood instead of inside of it. I've never cursed my bag because it had a hood.

I would lean towards getting 0-5 degree bag versus a 15-25 but I'm a cold sleeper. There have been more times where I was cold wishing my bag was warmer than being too warm and wishing my bag was cooler.

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I put in an order this morning. MF, not GWS. I went for the 5 degree Sequoia semi-rectangular bag. Its probably not what I'd get the most use from, but I have decent bags for down to about 30-35 degrees, I don't have anything in a backpacking weight for colder weather, so this hits the biggest gap in my equipment.

Thanks for all the input, guys.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I put in an order this morning. MF, not GWS. I went for the 5 degree Sequoia semi-rectangular bag. Its probably not what I'd get the most use from, but I have decent bags for down to about 30-35 degrees, I don't have anything in a backpacking weight for colder weather, so this hits the biggest gap in my equipment.

Thanks for all the input, guys.

MF or GWS you will like WM!
I have two of their bags and I couldn't be more pleased.

Last edited by 340boy; 01/19/12. Reason: grammar

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
This is my second.

I got a Highlite early last fall. I love the weight and compactness but its pretty confining to sleep in .. tight across the shoulders and at the feet. If the semi-rectangular shape of the new bag works out as I hope I may replace the Highlite with a semi-rectangular bag in the same temp range before summer.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
This is my second.

I got a Highlite early last fall. I love the weight and compactness but its pretty confining to sleep in .. tight across the shoulders and at the feet. If the semi-rectangular shape of the new bag works out as I hope I may replace the Highlite with a semi-rectangular bag in the same temp range before summer.

Sounds a bit like my situation-I had the Antelope and like it, but too narrow around the elbows/shoulders, so it went down the road.
Fixed that now-my Alpinlite and Puma are wider, though not the semi-rectangular shape.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Not all is lost. I could sell it but the other possibility is my daughter could wind up with a DAMN NICE sleeping bag.

When I can, I like a bag wide enough at the mouth that I can sleep on my stomach with my head on my arms. That facilitates fast access to ye olde single action, something I appreciate when I'm camping.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I also had the Antelope with gore. I really liked that bag but just not enough width in the shoulders.

So now I have the Kodiak,with MF ,which is really really nice.

I went with a zero degree bag. You can always open it, and down accommodates such a wide range of temps.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had four WM bags, one with actual Gore-tex (20 years ago), one with Gore Dryloft and two with Extremelite fabric (my wife and I both currently have WM Versalite's).

My wife's girlfriend has a WM with microfiber.

I personally wouldn't bother with Dryloft, and would either get Microfiber or Extremelite depending on the model and what's available.

The Microfiber is the best of all worlds in terms of durability, breath-ability, and weight. I've talked with WM's owner in the past and that's his favorite fabric if that helps...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

611 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,118 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,399
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.