Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I just bought a Rem 799 mini mauser made by Zastava, in 22 Hornet, what is involved in making it into a 22 K Hornet?
Why did they bother to put a shoulder on the 22 Hornet?

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
BobnRoy:

I am NOT a gunsmith, but after 18 views without a reply, maybe my response will shame a gunsmith type to provide a definitive answer...

From the little I know, not much is involved to make it into a K-Hornet; I think just obtaining a K-Hornet reamer and the skills to use it correctly (I have neither). This based on a machinist guy I know who did one and he was quite happy with it.

It would be great in a Mini-Mauser (I do have one of those in .223) and I like it a lot.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Buckeye,
that is what I figure, and maybe set the barrel back a bit, At least that is what is needed to go from a 257R to a AI. After looking at the reloading tables there is not much of an advantage, you only get an increase in MV on some of the bullet selections from what I saw.
Ya when I asked about this rifle it got some bashing from ones that do not own the 798? and 799, but anyone that owned one that chimed in liked thiers, saw a used one at Cabelas in 375HH and looked, felt, and action was smooth, blueing was great. I would not think Rem would have put thier name on something that they did not set a decent QA level on.

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
BonRoy:

My comments are strictly my opinion (as noted); a good gunsmith can do it for you to make sure the head space issue is competently addressed. You're right there isn't much advantage re the Hornet vs. K Hornet...

Another [better?] non-wildcat chambering choice may be the 221 Fireball; more oomph than the Hornet and factory brass available.

My Zastava is a Charles Daly action that I had barreled to a .223; while the CD actions were finished better than the 799s, there is nothing wrong with their function and their size is the great thing.

I wouldn't worry too much re the "experts" on this board cause' a lot of em' aren't!

Was hoping a real gunsmith would chime in here to assist - the gunsmiths here DO know what they are talking about.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You shouldn't need to set the barrel back since the headspace will be controlled by the rim of the Hornet cartridge.

The best advantages to the K-Hornet are no more trimming really, greater case life, and less chance of collapsing those little buggers when reloading them.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've had 2 rifles rechambered to K-Hornet. Accuracy improved in both.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I had a M1922M2 Springfield that was converted to .22 Hornet that I had re-chambered to K-Hornet. All it took was running a K-Hornet reamer in. Case life was improved (not that case life was bad with the regular Hornet), velocity gain of around 100 fps, accuracy the same. Probably wouldn't do over if given the choice. The main issue was firing pin breakage with that gun, so away it went eventually.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
As others have said the advantage is in case life and not having to trim every loading. The ones I've done did seem to have a small accuracy improvement. I think because the K case is more efficient. It is a very easy job to do. I have a .22K Hornet reamer I will loan you if you decide to go that route.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,978
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.