Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
I am 15 years old, 125lbs, and 5'8". I am thinking about purchasing an NEF 12 gauge single shot, 28 inch bbl, modified choke. Dave Canterbury is doing a youtube series on the shotgun for hunting means. I want one bad, but some have said the kick is fairly strong. I shoot Mosins regularly and in competition, and those don't bother me at all. Can anyone speak to this? The gun won't be very fun if I get hurt every time I shoot it.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Recoil depends on a number of factors, not just the firearm. Will you be using bird shot or buck shot? 2 3/4" or 3"? IMHO, ad a good recoil pad ( the stock may need to be cut to maintain the correct LOP ) Or try a slip over pad. Good shooting to you, good to hear of a young person shooting.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

S
OP Offline
S
Just cheap birdshot (Walmart bulk stuff). When I use more powerful loads for hunting, the last thing on my mind when I lay my sights on something is what the recoil will feel like so I'm not really worried about it when hunting, but when I'm just shooting stuff at the range is what I'm mostly asking about.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
The NEF 12 ga. is a very light shotgun. It can be tough to handle in the recoil department for shooters with low recoil tolerance. Three things that will help with recoil are proper stock length, a good aftermarket recoil pad (pachmeyer) and ammo choice. For ammo look to some of the light target loads put out by the ammo companies for skeet. These loads pattern and perform better than the cheap field loads (ex. dove&quail or squirrel&rabbit). As you gain more experience you can move up to heavier loads as needed. And yes I would go with the 12 ga. I just never found a 20 ga. to be any more comfortable to shoot.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have one and if you can handle a 30_06 you can handle a h&r with a recoil pad(limbsaver). I can handle 10 rounds of 3" mag buckshot. Put 200 mlxed rounds in two days through it. Hope this helps.

"8mm rem mag, reach out n' touch something"

"Those who say the .223 is weak probably have never heard of the "meat grinder".

SEMPER FI

Head practical joke coordinator of the turd-like people (aka the chitmonks)
IC B2

S
OP Offline
S
Well, I don't really want a pad for it. The series with Dave Canterbury I was referring to is titled "The 21st Century Longhunter" A pad sort of takes away the look they were going for. I could always put lead in the stock because it has a hole in it for takedown, but my other plus on it was how lightweight it was.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Are you wanting the hunt with a single shot for asthetic reasons, or because the gun is cheaper?

I'm blessed with a better than average recoil tolerance, but one of the best bell ringings I ever had was when I was about your age and torched off a 3.5" turkey load from my buddy's H&R. That gun might have weighed 6lbs even with a shell in it. My goodness, it was a horror. Looking back on it, I was about your size then. I also used to shoot skeet with my 20 ga H&R. Even with light loads, 50 rounds in combination with that hard buttplate burgered my shoulder. Sure was fun though.

I think a good pad would make 3"s doable, but if you don't like the look it won't help you. Please explain this 21st century longhunter deal a little bit.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Go for it your going to have fun an its not as bad as people say .Why because its H&R not thiers manufactor and price is right

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot the 45/70 in the H&R and it is doable. Do not spend too much time shooting once you feel tired or sre. There is always next session.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I second the replace the factory pad with a Limbsaver or Kick Eez pad. It'll make a HUGE difference in felt recoil.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had one years ago, and normal field loads in it weren't any problem at all. However, 3" 00 Buck loads were a whole 'nother beast.

The next step would be to get a recoil pad like the Pachmyer Old English pad. It's a thin pad that works very well, and the edges are rounded, so that makes it much more comfortable to shoot.

If you want to throw the kitchen sink at it, take it to a gunsmith and have the throat lengthened with a long forcing cone reamer, and have the barrel back-bored from .729 to .740, then have the choke recut to keep it at modified dimensions. This will really tame it down. Just depends on how much you have to spend, and how much you are gonna shoot it.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The recoil isn't bad.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 20 gauge, or even a 16, is easier to shoot than a 12 gauge in a single-shot shotgun. Get the adult sized model, not the youth model. A 12 gauge kicks hard, don't let anybody tell you different. The only "cure" is a soft recoil pad. The gun still pushes you around, but the pad takes the pain out of it.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
redhead is right. when i got mine, i put 3 rounds of plain birdshot down the tube and where i can handle 3" mag in a pump after that i was done. lead in the stock is good but you might want to get even a half inch pa just to have something soft and it shouldn't hurt the look. oh and because we're almost the same age i'll tell you this. after i shot my stepdad's mossy 500 and m1 garand i thought i was the chit, then i bought that h&r after hearing the recoil is "not that bad", after that i learned WEIGHT is a big factor. don't get me wrong, with somethin' soft, it's a joy to shoot. btw, don't let people rag on you 'cause it's a single. i don't know about anyone else but i only NEED one shot, thank you very much.

sorry for the long post- got carried away...

"Those who say the .223 is weak probably have never heard of the "meat grinder".

SEMPER FI

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swampman1
The recoil isn't bad.

Once again....

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'd get the gun. Then shoot it with whatever shells you plan to use. If it kicks too much for you (it does for me, but I have a many-times separated right shoulder), then figure out if it is the right length for you. If it is, you need a pad.

If it is too short, then that's part of the "kick" problem; you need it longer and the cheapest, easiest way to do that is get a pullover pad. (I'd say to hell with the "look"--do you want to shoot well or not? It's an H&R; it looks like it looks.).

If it is too long (that causes recoil problems, too), cut it to the correct length with a pad, and put the pad on it. If you're short of money, you can use a pullover, just seal the cut end of the wood, and run some masking tape around the cut edges so they don't chip in use.

If it's too long and you have the money, get a good permanent pad fitted by a competent stock man. Have him figure out the correct length BEFORE cutting, and put 'er on. I like Limbsavers.

One of the many nice things about H&Rs is that wood for them is cheap and available. If you do something that you don't like later, you can toss the old stock and replace it.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The recoil isn't bad.

Once again....

That's utter BS. It was BS the first time you said it but I refrained from saying so. But since you insist...

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
btw, they are no longer called NEF, but are all H&R now... and you might want to consider the older ones, the fit and finish look better to me. also, the wood seems to be of better quality as well. oh, and check out my thread on problems with mine...not to say they are all this way, but hiccups do happen, case and point; look the gun over well before you but down your hard earned cash...

good luck and have fun.

SEMPER FI

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
The recoil isn't bad.

Once again....

That's utter BS. It was BS the first time you said it but I refrained from saying so. But since you insist...

You're a pu$$Y so of course you think the recoil is bad. If you know how to handle a gun and shoot correctly none of them kick.

The quality is just as good or better than it ever was. If you think otherwise you just don't keep up with what is going on.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shoot22lr
I am thinking about purchasing an NEF 12 gauge single shot,..... but some have said the kick is fairly strong. ..... Can anyone speak to this?

I got one for my son.

After a season hunting with it, what we use it for regularly now is when family or guests start bragging about handling recoil, we get it out of the closet, and we all take turns shooting it with slugs or buckshot.

First one to say , "I've had enough" is deemed a pansy. Smart, but a pansy.

Then we put the gun away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,149
Posts18,465,009
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.