Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Just wondering if any of you have used this tent I'm looking for a tent that would be suitable for camping in the summer and during antelope season in Wyoming. The reviews are really good from cabelas just thought I would try to get some opinions from some of you.

Tater
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i bought the cabelas deluxe backwood tent. it's good for the family camping trips.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
is this the "XWT"?

If so, a friend has one. Great tent once its up but a real workout for one guy to set up alone.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The alaskan guide is a great tent. I would spend the extra $ and get the 8 man though. (no need to spend the extra $ on the aluminum poles in my opinion) It will be VERY warm inside if it is in the sun even if you have the windows open. (if the wind is blowing, you probably won't want the windows open because it could fill with sand (even with the screens)

If you don't have shade from trees, I would recommend bringing one of those pop up sun shades like an EZ-UP. You will not be able to be inside the alaskan guide tent in the daytime if it is in the sun. (unless you are into sweat lodges)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had the 6 man version for 6 years now. Probably have about 100 nights in that tent. I initially bought the tent with fiberglass poles. The fiberglass in a high wind can break and when they do, they shatter. An aluminum pole will just bend and can be bent back. Also the aluminum poles are lighter and "hub less" which makes it easier to slide the poles through the top sleeves which is handy when setting it up by yourself. I would atleast get the 6 man though. I have stayed in a 4 man and the 6 man is oh so much better as you can stand up and get dressed in it which is a nice feature.

Just my opinion after having used my Alaskan guide model all over Alaska even battled the winds on Kodiak. There are plenty of guy outs to help in batten down the hatches in heavy winds.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks for the info guys I may consider a 6

Tater
G
gwl Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have the 3 and the 6 or 8 (not sure) they are great. I would only use them as a truck camping tent. They are huge and weigh a ton. I use the big one on longer trips I can put my cot a table and chair in the thing and still have room left over. I have had it in wind and heavey rain at Olympic National Park and never had a problem.

I was given the smaller one. I wanted a two man and got the three. It is good but the enrty is too low and the bottom is too high, kind of a pain in the butt. Still it is a great tent

Both tents are well thought out and strong as heck.

I am not sure about hot weather but they do seem to breath (vent) well.

I am taking my family to Deah Valley in March and I may have a better idea about heat them. I hope so.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have the 6 man Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent and it is a great tent. As others have said, it is a little tough for one guy to put up, but it can be done. Very nice tent.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've had a 6 man for about 10 years now. Great tent. Tough to put up alone, but a great tent!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

I'm not sure which Cabelas tent this was, but I spent a long night in this caribou outfitters camp

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Long night because the tent didn't hold up?

Tater
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I purchased the Cabela's Outfitter Series� XWT-Xtreme Weather Tent last year;it is really well made and works well in poor weather. I got to use it in the high sierras in a fall snow storm only 5 inches of snow and but inside I never noticed.

If you read the reviews and 108 reviews gave it 5 for 5, 11 others gave it 4 out of 5.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Tents/Outfitter-Tents-Stoves-Accessories|/pc/104795280/c/104779080/sc/104481180/Cabelas-Outfitter-Series8482-XWT-Xtreme-Weather-Tent/744825.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcamping-tents-outfitter-tents-stoves-accessories%2Fcabelas%2F_%2FN-1100672%2B1000002949%2FNe-1000002949%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104481180%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd714588%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

Ted
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
We have had two different 8 man Alaskan Guide tents since 1993. After 7 years of hard use the first was faded and the nylon weakened from UV exposure. It was working fine but we sold it to a friend for cheap. Our 2001 tent is going strong. Some years we spent up 6 weeks camped in them bird and big game hunting across the west. We haven't used it much in BC due to high bear numbers......both blacks and grizzlies in some areas.

They are great tents for all but the toughest winds. We never had one collapse, but you need to install all the guy ropes and stake them out in windy conditions. Ours was the only tent that was not flattened alongside Glendo Reservoir in WY one summer after sustained 60 mph winds during the night.

The aluminum poles are tougher and easier to use than fiberglass. We had 3 or 4 fiberglass poles break on the first tent but ours came with spare parts and we just kept fixing them. The aluminum poles come with an over-sleeve to repair breaks as well. We have yet to break one.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by docdb
[Linked Image]

I'm not sure which Cabelas tent this was, but I spent a long night in this caribou outfitters camp

OMGoodness! That's some wind. Outfitter I spent 10 days with North of Nome uses the 6 man version and they are great. Nice to be able to stand up to dress. Wind always blew; almost. Not much rain the week I was there but the guys before us had constant rain and the tent was quite dry when we arrived.

Alan

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
From the videos I have watched on the tent on you tube they can take some wind and rain if they can stand the weather on kodiak they can probably stand what I need it for.

Tater
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have the 6 man model Alaskan Guide. The first time I put it up it took a LONG time, but after you get the hang of it one person can put it up in about 20-25 minutes. I would recommend the 6 man due to the fact that it is nice to be able to stand up inside (I am 5'9").

I am selling mine to buy a wall tent (wife wants a tent with a stove). I would like to sell it now but need to put it up for photos and we are in the middle of rain season here in Western Oregon and I don't want to get it wet taking photos (even though it is water proof). Alas, if the rain would ever stop...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you don't have to carry the tent, I would suggest looking at a Springbar (made in U.S.) or a Springbar knock-off called Kodiak Canvas (made in China).

I bought a Kodiak Canvas last year for car-camping. It's a great tent that should last my lifetime - but it's very heavy. Also, it's not a 4-season tent but should work well for what you mentioned you'll be using it for.

The Springbar and Kodiak Canvas are old-school, single-wall, cotton canvas tents that breath. They're impregnated with silicone and handle the weather well.

The Springbar is more expensive. I have read that the floor in the Kodiak Canvas is heavier and "more" waterproof.

Cabela's sells the Kodiak Canvas tent, and the reviews are generally through the roof - mostly five-star, but I take many of Cabela's reviews with a grain of salt.

Although I bought the Kodiak Canvas tent, I did buy the heavy canvas groundcloth from Springbar, which was the for the same size tent (10' x 10'). They also make a 10' x 14'.

Here is a link to the Kodiak Canvas at Cabela's website:

Kodiak Canvas

Last edited by CoalCracker; 01/21/12.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Springbar......Absolutely! I've owned the Family Camper 7 for about 20 yrs now and totally love it. CoalCracker is right. It's heavy since it's cotton canvas but built very stout. Have never had it in high winds so can't vouch for it's wind worthiness. It has the ability to be staked down about every 2' around the circumference.

Alan

http://www.kirkhams.com/deluxe-tents/family-camper-7-springbar-tent/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two Cabela's Outfitter XWTs, 8x8 and 10x10. Love 'em, been thru wind, snow, and rain.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks for the info guys they seem like good tents but a little difficult to put up buy yourself from the reviews from here and cabelas but all in all seems like a good tent to invest in

Tater
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 47 invisible), 2,156 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,236
Posts18,466,731
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.