Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep it. I have a scope and mounts to fit it. PM me if interested.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sent you an email since you probably dont have the PM thing down yet.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy

Edit: I guess there may have been some factory drilled for the Weaver T-7 side mounts

Where did you get that from? confused

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think Drew and RAS have pre war R's with factory side mounts.

Believe they were cataloged too.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3961311/Pre_War_R_and_T_7_mount

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting, that was 2 years ago though.

You come to any conclusions yet Drew?

I'm thinking no on the factory drill from what I saw in that thread, you see any others over the last couple years?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Joe,

I have not really been tracking it lately but to be honest I have not seen any T-7 is quite a while... what I was doing was just storing pictures in hopes of finding a number of them all located in the same spot but that does not seemed to have happened.

There are several Savage advertisements that show an R with a T-7 mount... but who knows, maybe this is the same as we speculate about the sling swivels... they just send them to the smiths to let them install locally at the time of sale... you would think it would come with directions of some sort for proper location and you would think that someone, somewhere would have run across one still in a box with directions if that was the case. If most were installed at the factory, would think that they would use a jig of some sort to save time and ensure proper location.

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lovemy99
Joe,

but who knows, maybe this is the same as we speculate about the sling swivels... they just send them to the smiths to let them install locally at the time of sale...

Ahha, maybe this is where you and Jed got confused about what I was saying about the #7 or #4 sling swivels last month. I wasn't talking about the flat bottomed studs you find on the RS's or even the sling eyes you find on the R's, those are added at the factory. It was the #4's and 7's I meant that were sold to the gun shops and then if you wanted sling swivels added to your 99 you would have them put them on there. At least thats what I have always been seeing. They list the swivels in the 40's and 50's catalogs but do not show any #4's on the guns in the catalogs and the swivels are listed as an accessory. Thats what I believe they were anyways.

As for the side mounts, ya, I think maybe they could have been added at the shop where you bought the gun, don't think they came from the factory like that. Would be interesting to find out they did though.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Drew, I've got at least one ad showing a 99T with a side mount as well as the 99R ads.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see what your saying Rory, but what were getting at is they're probably just advertising the side mounts and that they weren't factory installed. Just showing that they could be installed.

What year are the ads? I guess if theres a T then it's somewhere inbetween 35-40 but if you look in the catalogs in those years you don't see an offering of a side mount.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The ad would be from the 1936/1937 timeframe.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rory,

I was nt trying to imply in any way that the R or RS would be the only factory installed or advertised model with the T-7.

Joe,

I also recognize that the factory did indeed install many sling swivels on Rs, RSs, and likely a number of 1899s that were ordered with the sling eyes (and then a bunch of post mils)... I was specifically referring to the generally accepted principal that the later sling swivels such as the #7s were installed at the gunsmiths and not Savage.

Let's try not to make this too much more confusing then it needs to be... I honestly believe that some guns left the Savage factory with T-7 mounts but would hope that all would be installed in exactly the same location... many were likely done later also but we need to collect more data points to draw any conclusions.

Andrew
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was just trying to make sure that we didn't get focused too much on the T7/99R, most of the ads show 99R's but not all.

If you could order a 99 with a side mount, I'd think there would be a published price or contact information for it somewhere. Otherwise I think the vast majority would mounted by shops/local smiths.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lovemy99
I was specifically referring to the generally accepted principal that the later sling swivels such as the #7s were installed at the gunsmiths and not Savage.

Alrighty, we were both saying the same thing only different, lol.

I wanna make something confusing around here, getting boring lately! wink grin

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I was just trying to make sure that we didn't get focused too much on the T7/99R, most of the ads show 99R's but not all.

If you could order a 99 with a side mount, I'd think there would be a published price or contact information for it somewhere. Otherwise I think the vast majority would mounted by shops/local smiths.

The 1937 savage catalog lists the T-7 mount as an option for a retail price of $11.70 and a wholesale price of $8.75

It also say they will use 29S scopes and that you may select from any of the styles and calibers in the price list! No extra charge for tapping for the scope when ordered with the rifle.

That pretty much says this was a factory offering. The 38 catalog pushes the 330 instead of the 29S. These are listed until 1942 according to Murray.

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the real sad part of this is that the prime period of when this was an option, there are no factory records for!

The same catalogs also list the option of having a butt pad installed on a 99!!! I always wondered if you had a factory installed butt pad, would the serial be stamped into the stock under the pad???

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now if you look at the T-7's listed in the 37 catalog you'll see they're totally different than the one in the other thread.

The T-7 in the catalog mounts to the round side of the barrel. In the thread on the RS's the mount is flat and mounts to the side of the frame.

Would the real T-7 please stand up?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

687 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 67 invisible), 3,525 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.