Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by RandyR

Looking to ad something a little lighter down the road and would like a 25 that really reaches out for predators or deer. The 25-06 I had before was a Browning and needless to say I will not have another of those.

It is not needless to say...why won't you have another on of those?

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
GB1

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by johnw
for me, if rifles were the ultimate thing in my life, i suppose i'd have to have the biggest/fastest/bestest available...

the 257 Weatherby is one beautiful, fast shooting rifle cartridge...

Rifles aren't the ultimate thing in my life, and I'd never even had a belted mag before trading into a Roy. I've got a 257 AI that is pretty darned close to keeping pace w/ the '06 (mine does 3250 fps w/ 100s) which'll do anything I need doing w/ a rifle, but as you say, that Roy is an amazing cartridge that does things that somewhat defy numbers.

And no, rifles aren't the ultimate thing in my life...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have never owned a Weatherby, and won't. Too expensive to shoot, pretty expensive to reload.

The OP is looking for something for varmints, I thought. A few fps isn't going to make up for the price of Weatherby ammo, to me at least.

And, I just don't like Weatherby rifles. They look Japanese to me, like a 1968 Datsun.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

RandyR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
Originally Posted by RandyR

Looking to ad something a little lighter down the road and would like a 25 that really reaches out for predators or deer. The 25-06 I had before was a Browning and needless to say I will not have another of those.

It is not needless to say...why won't you have another on of those?

I really like the beauty of the Browning but I could not get consistent groups with the 2 factory loads I tried. I did not bed or do any work to it but I have never had the same issue with the m700's I have. Really a shame because it seemed like a very good quality rifle. I have since learned a lot more about my m700's and feel comfortable sticking to them. I might look at a Vanguard for the next one though.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
thanks, just asking why you seemed to have bad luck with your browning. I have several XBolts and are totally pleased with all of them. I shot one of my best bucks this year with an XBolt in 25-06.

I have two 257 Roys and a 25-06. I have shot perhaps a dozen deer and antelope with each rifle. The Roys are much faster, but in my experience spanning almost 30 years the 25-06 is the better field rifle. Both kill very well, the roy a little more spectacularly, especially with TSX bullets. Most of your shots at game will be under 200yds and one could not tell the difference in field results. The 257 Roy will be a little harder to find ammunition and quite a bit more difficult to sell or trade. But scratch your itch. I decided several years ago that my collection would never be without one of each.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Gene L
Too expensive to shoot, pretty expensive to reload.

7 Rm or 264 WM brass can be run through the FLS & fireformed for perfect function, so unless one is buying factory ammo the difference isn't as great as it might otherwise seem.

The Vangard doesn't look to me any different from a Remington 700 (which I don't care for at all, but which has a cult following). My Vangard is UBBER accurate, though.

If I were looking for a deer/varmint rifle to shoot a lot I'd go '06. If you want a hunting rifle that gets a few rounds each year first to verify zero and then to kill stuff like lightning, the Roy is a good candidate.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just for all of those who like to look at things a little more, ah, scientifically:

According to the 4-to-1 Rule, the .257 Weatherby has about a 6.5% advantage in muzzle velocity over the .25-06, everything else being equal (barrel length, pressure, etc.). This means a 200-250 fps increase in muzzle velocity in bullets from 80-120 grains, depending on the weight of the bullet.

Of course, for the really obsessed, there's the .257 STW, .257 RUM, etc.
Which means a 26% increase in powder volume and muzzle blast. My 25s start with the .250-3000 and end with the .25/06. Have not found any of them wanting. That said, if I ever decide to get a magnum chambered rifle, it'll probably be the the .257Wby. Had an urge for a .264WM a couple years ago, but it passed. There's just something about .25s...

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wasn't it Frank Gorshin, a.k.a. "The Riddler" in the original Batman series, that coined the phrase "Riddle me this...?"

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Gene L
I have never owned a Weatherby, and won't. Too expensive to shoot, pretty expensive to reload.

The OP is looking for something for varmints, I thought. A few fps isn't going to make up for the price of Weatherby ammo, to me at least.

And, I just don't like Weatherby rifles. They look Japanese to me, like a 1968 Datsun.

Take a look at the Rem 700 CDL SF in 257 Roy. 2 of them in my hunting camp, they shoot amazing and are purty too.

There's always hope as long as there's lead in the air.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 3,340 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.