Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have for sale a custom rifle built on an excellent Sako L61R Magnum action. This is the highly desirable pre-Garcia, Magnum action, imported by Firearms International Corp, and has three locking lugs � two on the front of the bolt and one towards the rear of the bolt. This was a project rifle that wasn't quite completely finished by the original owner. The action appears new and the rifle is unfired.

The 26" barrel is a Douglas Premium Quality Stainless Steel chambered by Douglas in 6.5mm x 300 Weatherby Magnum (6.5-300 Wby.) and measures close to the Douglas #5 Contour. The rifling is 6-groove, 1 in 8" right-hand twist. The barrel is at least 12 to 15 years old, made when Douglas was still one of the top quality barrel manufacturers in this country. I bought the rifle from the original owner's estate around 12 years ago and his widow told me at the time that she thought her husband sent the action to Douglas to have the barrel mounted. She knew quite a bit of other accurate info about the rifle, so I believe she is probably correct.

The stock is nicely figured walnut by Bishop, but is not fully complete. The action and barrel were glass bedded by the owner, but it is not a professional quality job. It could be usable as is, however, if I were to keep the rifle, I would remove around 1/8" to 3/16" more wood from the bottom of the stock around the floorplate/trigger guard and neaten up the bedding and wood-to-metal fit around the receiver and bolt handle cutout.

There is no fore-end tip, and it either needs to be finished out or needs a tip installed. The stock finish was not very skillfully applied, and I don't know what material the finish is, but acetone will cut it. If I kept the rifle, I would strip or sand off all of the finish and refinish it with hand-rubbed tung oil. The stock has plenty enough "meat" in it to take quite a bit of reshaping/re-contouring or slimming down.

The complete rifle weighs 9 1/2 lbs. There are a set of Redfield style scope bases that come with the rifle. The only blemishes I've found on the Sako action is some flattening of the fine checkering where the rear scope base was installed, a tiny mark on the bolt handle knob, and a rust spot on the outside of the magazine box liner that is hidden inside the stock and can only be seen when the rifle is disassembled. There are a couple of very light handling marks on the barrel, but these can be easily polished out.

The 6.5-300 Wby chambering is the ballistic twin of the 6.5 STW and there is reloading data easily found for it. Dies are available from RCBS (Item #56197) and special order from Forster and Redding. Brass can be produced as easily as running properly lubed 7mm STW brass partially into the 6.5-300 Wby sizing die and then fireforming with a moderate load. The rifle will make a terrific long range or "beanfield" rifle and the barrel is twisted to stabilize the longer and/or heavier hunting or target bullets in the hot 6.5mm caliber.

The price is $700 shipped and insured to your FFL holder.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p226/timebak/Sale%20Items/IMG_2306.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p226/timebak/Sale%20Items/IMG_2307.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p226/timebak/Sale%20Items/IMG_2300.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Skeezix; 01/14/12. Reason: Added die and loading information

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
GB1

Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would be all over this if I had the money.

1. I now see the wisdom and merits of much older generations.
2. Technology makes things cheaper, easier, and less labor intensive, but not necessarily better.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you have dies or any brass? I assume that 300 Wby brass works as well as the 7mm STW?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
you might have to do a step in between going from 30 to 6.5, such as you might need a 7mm sizing die too.

but yes, you can make these 6.5x300 Wby cases out out of 300 Wby cases.

2. Technology makes things cheaper, easier, and less labor intensive, but not necessarily better.
IC B2

Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Don't have any dies or brass, sorry. But they're both relatively easy to procure, for a wildcat cartridge.

Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ttt

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
free bump for an awesome rifle

Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks atomiclab! ttt

Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Noon bump.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
bump

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 12 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.