Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
You must have a hell of a freezer. Nice hunting.

I'll say. That would feed the Duggars for two years.

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All of the info we've all given should be of some use however, you really need to work up your loads and find out what your rifle likes. Powder weight, bullet type, bullet weight, case brand, primer, seating depth and on and on and on. Just like all of us, each gun has it's own personality and when you find what it likes fine tune from there.

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I completely agree with Huntinut. I played with everything in the 160 grain range from speer spire points, to nosler partitions, really liked the hornady 162 BTSP with rl22,but now its hard to beat the berger 168 grain vld's with retumbo powder. With the vld's i tried H1000, RL22, Retumbo, and H4831sc, with the Retumbo having the best accuracy. I'm not one that is worried about how fast it's going, but one being able to hit, not what, but where, you are shooting.

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Huntinut
All of the info we've all given should be of some use however, you really need to work up your loads and find out what your rifle likes. Powder weight, bullet type, bullet weight, case brand, primer, seating depth and on and on and on. Just like all of us, each gun has it's own personality and when you find what it likes fine tune from there.

Isn't that the truth....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
My 7mm Browning A bolt likes the 160 grain Nosler Partition in the Federal Premium factory ammo.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My current 7mm RM likes 150 gr bullets, so a 150 gr Nosler Partition would do the trick. Years ago Jack O'Connor observed that he thought the 150 gr bullets out of the 7mm RM killed a bit quicker that the other heavier bullets of his day. These days an good 7mm Bullet is going to put elk steaks in you black iron pan. Find a bullet and load that shoots well enough and then get off the bench and shoot a lot. Have a great trip.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have good success on antelope, deer and elk all with the same load. 150gr swift sirocco with IMR 4831 at 3100 fps out of my 26 inch lilja barrel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
You must have a hell of a freezer. Nice hunting.

Big time, and some really nice pics!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
chas1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BuzzH
I've shot a number of elk with 160 partitions and 62.0 grains of IMR4831 in the past several years from my 7MM RM. Also killed an Alaska bull mooose with it as well as a bunch of antelope and deer.

This past year, I worked up a good load with the 160 grain accu-bonds and IMR4831 62.0 grains, cci 250 mag. primes and WW cases.

MV is 2970.

I had 4 elk tags this year, 2 in Wyoming, 1 in Montana, and 1 in Arizona...used the accu-bonds on all four with great performance. All are DIY, public land elk.

Wyoming bull, shot it at 25 yards, hit the back of the on-shoulder exited behind the off shoulder:

[Linked Image]

Exit side of that bull:

[Linked Image]

Montana bull, 363 yards, shot behind the shoulder, bullet exited:

[Linked Image]

Wyoming cow, 211 yards, exit side:

[Linked Image]

Finally, Arizona bull on the general hunt in late November, 620 yards, shot it behind the shoulder, bull bedded. Wanted to make sure it was done and shot it twice more in its bed. Recovered all the bullets.

[Linked Image]

Here are 3 of the 4 bullets I recovered...the first two expanded bullets from left are the bullets from the AZ bull shot at 620, the last expanded bullet was recovered from a MT mule deer shot at 130 yards stem to stern.

[Linked Image]

I'd feel pretty comfortable shooting either the 160 accubonds or partitions...they both work great.

Wow, Nosler should hire you as a rep. What a sales pitch. Does not get any more real than a pile of dead elk. Congrats and thanks everyone for the information.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 340mag
Ive loaded the SPEER grand slams with a 215 fed primers over a stiff load of 60 grains (work up your rifle might not like that much)
H-4831sc

A 7mm RM and a 160g Grand Slam over 62.0g IMR-4831 was all I used for elk for 20+ years. It is a great combo. My hunting buddy took his two elk with that combo as well. Most elk went straight down or took no more than a few steps. Two I shot made it about 40 yards but no others came close to that. My hunting buddy had one go about 120 yards after taking a neck shot, but I don�t blame that on the bullet so much as placement.

Although I shoot more 140g North Forks and TTSX over IMR7828SSC these days (I�ve been using the 7mm RM more for deer and antelope the past few years), I think 160g bullets are probably a better choice for elk and I have some 160g North Fork loads ready to go. H4831SC and H1000 both work well with the 160�s but I�ve gotten higher velocities (3048fps vs 2990fps) with the H1000.

Personally, I don�t care much for standard cup-and-core bullets. Tokk my first elk with a 162g Hornady BTSP InterLock as was underwhelmed but its performance. Yes, the elk went down. The shot was 110 yards or so on a broadside. The bullet hit a rib dead center, missed off-side ribs (or slightly nicked one) and came to rest under the hide on the off side. Retained weight was less than 50% even though I didn�t consider the one rib much of a challenge to the bullet�s integrity. I went to Grand Slams the following year and it took me 20 years to recover one. After wrecking both shoulder joints of a 5x5 bull, the Grand Slam still retained over 70% of its original weight.

Partitions are never a bad choice as far as I�m concerned. North Forks are my favorite. AccuBond, TTSX, Scirocco II are all bullets I would use with confidence.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm playing with 175 Partitions in mine

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe it's the Jack O'Connor influence from my neophyte days, but I still think of 175 Partitions as elk medicine in the 7mm Mags. We have killed elk with 160 Partitions in both the 7 Mag and the .280s, and even taken a couple with 150s. However, if I were limited to one bullet it would be the 175 Partition. I have been instrumental in switching more than a dozen folks to that bullet in their 7 Mags for elk and none have gone back to whatever they were using before. I don't think that any of them have even tried anything else.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm also relatively new to the 7mm rem mag, receiving one late october 2011, but not to the 7mm caliber.

I have shot a 280 rem since '89 at elk and have always been very happy with the performance of 160 gr. bullets. Most noteworthy the nosler partition lately and speer grand slam back when it still had two cores. Unless angles were straight on or straight away blush bullets very seldom found.

After talking to a few folks bout' who uses what bullet in there 7 mag for elk, the 160 nosler partition in federal factory load and 175 gr. generic factory loads for non-reloaders was oft repeat. One guy I know used a 150 gr. fusion load once on a rag horn bull, claims he never has seen such a hole blown threw both sides of elk ribs till then.

For the handloading crowd, bullet weight was always in the 160-175 gr. range but HEAVY in premium makes. Partition, barnes "x" now tsx are popular in design. And 175 gr. interlocks for two guys who habitually kill elk with them no problem and don't plan on changing any time soon.

I worked up a load for my 7 mag that accurately throws 175 partitions faster than my 280 can safely throws 160. Needless to say, I cannot wait to fire a 175 into an elk this fall.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A tribute to my father:

2008...last day of the hunt. I was using a short barreled, open-sight Marlin .45-70. We drove out of the homestead, down the road 1/2 mile or so and headlighted the herd in a deep neck of a large hay field. Turning tail, we headed back to the homestead, parked and planned. I told dad, "I'm going to have to make a long shot...I need to borrow your rifle." He handed me his late 60s era Ruger M77 in 7mm Rem Mag ("The 7-Mag"). Dad made dozens and dozens of clean kills with that rifle over the last 40 years, but never, not once, had I ever fired a round from the weapon. Didn't matter, I knew my dad and knew exactly what the rifle would do. I put a sneak on and managed to close the distance to a lasered 365 yards on a nice purple cow. The ballistics of dad's handloads were taped on the side of the stock. I remember looking down and seeing that the 160g Accubond would drop 12.3" at 350 yards. I held about 6" below the top of her back and squeezed. I never heard the shot and I never felt the recoil (as it should be), but knew at the exact split second the sear broke that the shot was perfect. It turned out to be probably the most perfectly fired round of my life. The cow was quartering slightly away and the bullet pierced her heart. She ran 30 yards, backflipped and died.

Dad passed almost 11 months ago now and the M77 has risen to exhaulted status as my most prized rifle. I have many others, more expensive, with better glass and fancier bells and whistles, but this one, despite its limited use by me to this point, is special. I also found 78 meticulously hand-crafted rounds that dad made for that M77...I believe it is all the ammunition I will ever need as they are perfection personafied. His formula:

Federal Case
CCI 250 primer
61g of IMR 4350
160g Nosler Accubond
COL of 3.355
MV: 2950fps
ME: 3095

R.I.P. dad....you built one hell of a handload!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I started using the 160 Partition @ 3090 fps back in 1980 --- It's always worked so I've stuck with it.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
anyone here use a 175grain sierra gameking

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What a science it is how some rifles prefer certain weights bullets as much as they prefer certain charge-weights and seating depths.

My elk rifle, an old safe-queen Savage 7RM I traded a horseshoeing and a mule trimming for. Shot all over the place with anything you tried. So I made a couple piller-blocks and glassed-in the action. Serious Improvements!

But a work in progress, it's real finicky.
The only thing that seems to work real well is 140s . And they only like the very upper spectrum velocities, that is fine with me!

I did luck out.
Before I glassed in the action, I did scrunch the magazine in a vice a little to make it a little longer. Turned out to be a good thing.
The OAL that shoots the tightist , just barely clears the box.

Two years and two elk with this one.
I did add a little more glass about 3" into the barrel, in hope that it would be less finicky. But have not loaded any changes yet, not sure I need to?
It is doing it's best with about as hot as you can go!

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by accurat
A tribute to my father:

2008...last day of the hunt. I was using a short barreled, open-sight Marlin .45-70. We drove out of the homestead, down the road 1/2 mile or so and headlighted the herd in a deep neck of a large hay field. Turning tail, we headed back to the homestead, parked and planned. I told dad, "I'm going to have to make a long shot...I need to borrow your rifle." He handed me his late 60s era Ruger M77 in 7mm Rem Mag ("The 7-Mag"). Dad made dozens and dozens of clean kills with that rifle over the last 40 years, but never, not once, had I ever fired a round from the weapon. Didn't matter, I knew my dad and knew exactly what the rifle would do. I put a sneak on and managed to close the distance to a lasered 365 yards on a nice purple cow. The ballistics of dad's handloads were taped on the side of the stock. I remember looking down and seeing that the 160g Accubond would drop 12.3" at 350 yards. I held about 6" below the top of her back and squeezed. I never heard the shot and I never felt the recoil (as it should be), but knew at the exact split second the sear broke that the shot was perfect. It turned out to be probably the most perfectly fired round of my life. The cow was quartering slightly away and the bullet pierced her heart. She ran 30 yards, backflipped and died.

Dad passed almost 11 months ago now and the M77 has risen to exhaulted status as my most prized rifle. I have many others, more expensive, with better glass and fancier bells and whistles, but this one, despite its limited use by me to this point, is special. I also found 78 meticulously hand-crafted rounds that dad made for that M77...I believe it is all the ammunition I will ever need as they are perfection personafied. His formula:

Federal Case
CCI 250 primer
61g of IMR 4350
160g Nosler Accubond
COL of 3.355
MV: 2950fps
ME: 3095

R.I.P. dad....you built one hell of a handload!

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My current load is RL22 and the 175gr sierra SPBT at 2900fps. Killed a 6x6 last year with the combo. About 225yds in its bed with only a head shot. Bullet entered just below antler base, exited just below antler base. In my rifle i can run it up to 3000fps but accuracy is at 2900fps.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Stiff load again. Work up to it as you test. Works for me, but maybe not for you.

Nosler 175 Spitzer over 60 grains R4831 and Federal 215.

Unbelievable 5 shot groups at 100.

Naught's had, alls spent
When desire is got without content
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
130 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 17 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.