Print Thread
Hop To
#6104248 01/28/12
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Back in 1990's I bought a gun from a rural gunsmith (now deceased) who had a small shop. He had a gun I saw several times but was unwilling to sell until One Day...... It is marked R G Owen on the barrel, a .270 that had no s/n. (I had to put one on it per law and had the GS stamp my 4 digit birthday on the barrel tang. The stock is UNFINISHED. The story was R G Owen was at the later stage of life and had poor eyesight. The GS claimed to have meet RG - 'Yep a likely story'. The gun had an older Weaver KV. Workmenship is excellent. I took it to a well known gun antique shop and put it on consignment. The owners took it to several shows and the feedback was it had 'some' workmanship and markings that showed it to be a true RG OWEN,but some doubt exists.(mainly the uncheckered stock)BTW the stock is definitely custom. There was some doubt the gun was a True 100%. So I took the gun back and out it in the safe.

Any idea where I go from Here? I'd like to sell it but just don't know value.

TIA (Thanks in Advance) for any replies/suggestions. I'm not good at posting pictures but wopuld send any to anyone.

Red Baron
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If anyone can tell you whether or not it's anything Owen it would be Michael Petrov. He posts on AR as well as doublegunshop.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would be happy to look at your rifle if you would send me some pictures tomorrow.

mjpetrovacsalaska.net

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would take Mr. Petrov up on his gracious offer. He was able to identify the 30-06 below as an Owen from photos. Hope yours turns out to be genuine, these rifles are not common.
[Linked Image]
The 2 classics in the center are the RG Owen Springfield and Al Biesen
[Linked Image]

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be sure to take Mr. Petrov up on his offer.

He is a true expert in this area.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also be sure to check out Steven Dodd Hughes' excellent website and Mr. Petrov's pages there:

http://www.finegunmaking.com/

you will learn a lot about the art of fine gunmaking.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 01/29/12.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks all, especially you Mr Petrov. You may not remember but when I bought this rife I mentioned it on the forum and you sent me an article you wrote on R G Owen. I still treasure it.

Pic's are sent via my private email. If anyone else would like to see the pictures send me a PM with your email address and I'll send.
Again THANKS!

Red Baron
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you go to the Hallowellco web site there is a series of excellent pictures of an Owen rifle that is for sale. Beautiful rifle in great condition too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,035 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.