Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Ran across a friend that has a 1909 Argentine Mauser action that is in fantastic shape. He will let me have it for $200. I am wondering if I would be better off going this route to get my 9.3x62mm Mauser rifle?

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The cool factor would be very high as would the cost. Lotsa mods to do. That being said if you can swing it and want it, I'd be the last to say no way. Have done the full custom route and tis fun.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
The Ruger is ready built 'cept for the few changes we discussed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pacecars
The Ruger is ready built 'cept for the few changes we discussed.

Very true! 1909 has cooooool factor, have two of them that I a doing builds on.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had M70's since the 50's and a few others as well like a P17, 99's and recently a 1909 Argentine that someone spent big bucks on. The stock alone on it makes it the nicest sporter that I have.

While there is a small cool factor in looking at "DWM" on the side of an action the M70's are better in every way for me.

I came across this 'Argy' near the end of my rifle life. Its just as well as they are no big deal.

Let someone else convert one and IF it comes out right buy it cheap. I was lucky the action choice thing turned out the way it did for me. To put it another way I am really glad I don't have a safe full of or a battery of 1909's. I am really glad they are pre 64 M70's.

The 1909
[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 9.3X62. needs to built on a M98! It just fits it's history. I built my custom 9.3X62 with a 1909 Argentine action. If feeds smooth and solid. The majority of my rifles are built on Mauser actions.

If it's all original ( no holes drilled and the original bottom metal) it sounds like a good deal.

Terry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. Just something about the metal/heat treating and overall feel that no modern factory rifle can duplicate. About the best I can say is the "snicks" and "clunks" from metal to metal on a 1909 are mucho different than a new Ruger or any Remchester.

You may think I'm daft, but I don't think so. whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Karnis
Yep. Just something about the metal/heat treating and overall feel that no modern factory rifle can duplicate. About the best I can say is the "snicks" and "clunks" from metal to metal on a 1909 are mucho different than a new Ruger or any Remchester.

Now this is where we disagree. I find the old Mauser actions to be soft and to have a heavier bolt lift when the pin is down for instance. I just don't like how they are more difficult to move the bolt back the forth either.

What seems to be harder steel that the M70's have been made from works so quick and easy for me. Those mausers need a bolt to be welded on too.

To each his own.

Besides they were only made in ww 2 germany and the Winchesters were made right here in the United States of America!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, you must be right. Guess that's the reason most every bolt action on the planet is based off PPM's design. He must've be a 'tard. Oh wait...............

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My 9.3X62 is a Husqvarna built on an FN commercial 98 action. I think it works well but I would like to have one of the Rugers too! The 1909 I think would make a great one as well!

Bob

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have had two mint '09 for some years just tearing at me to get on with them.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

As Wayne & Garth used to say, "scha-WING"!

A 9,3x62 in an Argentine '09, no matter what the realists may say re: cost, has gravitas in spades.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Tony
I have had two mint '09 for some years just tearing at me to get on with them.

You might just as well send me one. No sense letting them sit around and get moldy and dusty and stuff like that there. grin

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
... everybody funny, now you funny too. grin

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Who would you send it too for barreling and addition of sights?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Oh, Yeah! Karnis I agree with you.....if you got it, toss the money at the Argentine.Once you had a finely finished Mauser,some other stuff feels like rubble. eek smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

http://www.mccabeguns.com/

I would send it to Mike McCabe if it were mine.

Bob

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TC1
A 9.3X62. needs to built on a M98! It just fits it's history. I built my custom 9.3X62 with a 1909 Argentine action. If feeds smooth and solid. The majority of my rifles are built on Mauser actions.

If it's all original ( no holes drilled and the original bottom metal) it sounds like a good deal.

Terry

I would agree but also might look at having the action heat treated. I had a 1909 done by PacMet and I think it adds strength to the action.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Oh, Yeah! Karnis I agree with you.....if you got it, toss the money at the Argentine.Once you had a finely finished Mauser,some other stuff feels like rubble. eek smile

I just spent some time handling various bolt action rifles. I worked the bolts, dry fired them and worked them again from the shoulder. All of them were very good.

When I am getting ready to go hunting I might take a different rifle each time. Many times its a Kimber as well. The variety of it is interesting. I go hunting for a few hours a day about three or more times a week.

I like all of the rifles!

Right now a pet is the Brno 21h that has a M70 type safety on it. Those are a small ring action as you know.

But they are all good. Of them the DWM 1909 mauser is the slowest to work. It seems its metal is soft and it drags some as compared to the others.

If I were to pick any action to have an fine custom built for hunting it might be one of those Brno 21h's or 22f actions. They have that stippled receiver ring and others have double square bridges.

The thing is that its natural for someone who has had mechanical experience to get a rifle and keep it going. Those old 'pre' factory rifles were made to use by us.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobT

http://www.mccabeguns.com/

I would send it to Mike McCabe if it were mine.

Bob

I have two actions with Mike as I type. He is reworking a commercial Mauser in .300H&H and is building a .350 Rigby on a.......

wait for it.....

1909!

I have another 1909 that will be a switch barrel and Mike will be doing it as well.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 37 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,133
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.