Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
forepaw Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Basically, single loading for sighting in and practicing. Being able to thumb in a couple rounds if a wounded animal is getting away, instead of dropping out the mag, finding the spare and clicking into place, then finding the empty, especially in bad weather or poor light. It is not really a problem, as I use blind magazines, detachable mags, and detach. floorplates. I like Tikkas, but it is one more thing to have to buy.

forepaw

"Only accurate rifles (that are light enough to be carried by a middle-aged man in rough country) are interesting"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
get a savage in .243 wearing a burris FF2 ballistic plex scope. put 95 grain NBT's over Varget. practice with it, and go forth and kill stuff.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only 22 pics of targets shot at 100 yds?

I'm disappointed....

You'll get 4,294 opinions on which combo is the best. In truth, many set ups will get the job done.

Buy a rifle that fits you and is comfortable, don't get a jaw busting caliber - it's not necessary, depending on what game your after, common sense will suffice.

A reputable scope in 3-9x42 or 2.5-10 in most any flavor with an elevation dial or ballistic reticle will allow you to kill animals at distance if you put a lot of time in practicing from actual field positions - (Benches with rests don't count)

Killing game at distance has more to do with the shooter's ability than the rifle/scope combo he's using, as long as it's reliable.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
A fella could do worse than one of Melvin's new guns and grab a 3-9x40 vxll(they been goin cheap)then add a m1.

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Simply the best? If weight is the primary concern the absolute best would be a Blaser K95 probably in 6.5x65R, and for a scope i would chose one of the 1" Swarovskis.

If i wanted a repeater, i'd be looking at the Sakos - either an A7 or an 85 synthetic, probably in 270 WSM. If you could find a Shultz and Larsen Classic, i'd put it in there too. I think you would find the T3 just as accurate as the Sakos though. I have always thought in hunting-weight rifles accuracy potential (once bedding etc is taken out of the equation) is all about the barrel, and from what i have seen i think the Sako/Tikka barrels are currently the best factory barrels. I regularly see them keeping up with fancy boutique-brand offerings.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by forepaw
Guys,

What is currently the best sporter weight rifle/scope available with minimal modification (bedded, floated, trigger job) that would produce say, 6" groups at 500 yds. consistently, in a rifle suitable for DIY deer hunting.

I realize that is not really long range for most of the readers of this forum, but to me, a 500 yd. shot made under field conditions (meaning long hikes in rough country) with 95% confidence would be very respectable shooting.

I am thinking of something along the lines of a Tikka, Ruger Hawkeye, Rem. 700 CDL, or Savage, with Leupold VX III 3.5-10 with B&C, and cal. .25-06, .270 WCF, .270 WSM, (6.5-284in the Savage) or something approximately in this category. NULA and that class of rifles also a consideration, though pricey and maybe not needed just to meet the basic requirement.

Thanks for ideas - especially regarding scopes and reticles (am open to turrets as well).

forepaw

[Linked Image]

Next question please whistle

It sucked donkey balls before it was rebarreled, didn't it?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
500 yards is a long way, but I can't see that any factory sporter weight offering is going to be whole bunch better than anything else, provided you practice with it and load for it properly.

There really is no "best" and I'd grab a new SC M70,a Rem 700,or most anything.Work up a good load and mount a good scope,practice.An extreme Weather in 300 WSM or 7mm WSM would be excellent....I have had the 300 WSM and know this first hand.

A 270 or 30/06,anything in that range will work just fine with a 6X Leupold and LR reticle.

I picked up a Ruger Hawkeye 7 Rem Mag about 5 years ago,mounted a 2-7 Leupold on it...it threw strikes from the get go at 500 with no tuning and 150 gr Federal Fusions.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep. I've posted before that these days it's tough to find a factory rifle that ISN'T accurate. For the purposes of the original poster, I'd look to any of today's factory rifles with free-floated barrels, any cartridge from the .243 Winchester on up that doesn't kick too much for him, and any scope from 6x on up with a multi-point reticle or consistent tracking. Consistent 500-yard shooting really doesn't require special equipment.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Tikka, VX3 CDS, Hornady Factory Superformance. No mods, just mount, sight in, shoot sub MOA all day long, kill stuff out to 650.

That's not a real sexy pick, but it's a pretty damn smart one.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This is my mountain rifle 257 WBY ultralight

[Linked Image]

Shoots 110 Accubonds at 3500+ fps at .6" groups

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Fotis
This is my mountain rifle 257 WBY ultralight

[Linked Image]

Shoots 110 Accubonds at 3500+ fps at .6" groups

That's a fine looking rig there. It sure turns my bolt.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by forepaw
Guys,

I realize that is not really long range for most of the readers of this forum, but to me, a 500 yd. shot made under field conditions (meaning long hikes in rough country) with 95% confidence would be very respectable shooting.

That makes it respectable shooting for just about everybody on here......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
forepaw Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Casey and others,

That really is an overlooked item. Accuracy when you're rested can be much different than when you are near-exhausted, dehydrated, trying to figure out cross-canyon breezes, and hold on the vital zone of something moving, or laying at a strange angle in the shade, maybe with a bush in front of it that you can't see with your scope, all from a makeshift rest.

My interest in this post involves planning a rifle for Coues Whitetail hunting, but the conditions are often similar to desert sheep (and probably california and rocky as well) in terms of the physical effort required, use of high-powered optics, and long stalks.

That said, I thought there were some first rate replies from very experienced folks, most of whom more or less echoed something jack O'Connor wrote years ago . . . essentially that the closest thing he ever owned to a perfect mountain rifle was a lightweight .270 with a 22" barrel, good optics, and sling. But he was an awesome rifleman, much cooler and more experienced than most of his counterparts, and with a fair amount of high-power target shooting under his belt - which gave him an edge in understanding wind and bullet behavior.

forepaw

"Only accurate rifles (that are light enough to be carried by a middle-aged man in rough country) are interesting"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 22250rem, 37 invisible), 2,118 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,361
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.