Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
ELP Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I have a 1996 model 99 lever action. I am looking at picking up a spare stock and I notice there are rounded forend stocks and others with a "turn out" at the end of the fore stock. It appears the placement of the through hole are in two different relative locations from the end. So it looks to me like the rounded one is either shorter overall or simply incompatible. The butt stock "appears" the same from the photographs but it is hard to verify.

Does anyone have any definitive information on the variations of stocks for various model 99s and which stocks will fit a late model 99 (this is a centennial version).

Thanks!
-Ed

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess you are saying you have a 1996 Centennial Edition (CE). I think any of the other Savage 99's with a Montr Carlo stock may work, 99DE or PE. Can't say for sure. Has your rifle already been fired and you just want to protect the original stock? Kind of a fancy, expensive rifle to take plinking or even hunting. It's your rifle, do with it as you please, Tom

E
ELP Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks Tom. So from your reply you sense that only other deluxe engraved presentation model style stocks with fit the 99CE. That is too bad. There is a guy who makes some nice model 99 stocks but they all have the flare on the toe of the fore stock.

It had already been shot when I purchased it and I intend to keep shooting it. I would though like to keep the original stock in as new condition. Also, to be honest, the inlet fit is not great. The fore stock also is not floating near the end. Since my buddy has the right gun smith tool and even specialized stock wood working tools I thought I'd take a shot at fitting a new stock and set aside the original.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Might want to look at some 99C's, they have a Monte Carlo stock that may work. Tom

E
ELP Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks again Tom
I did find a site that shows various examples of the butt stock and forend illustrations.

http://macongunstocks.net/savage_rifle_stocks_115.html#

I need to keep digging. It looks like a "series III" but stock can be made to fit anything but a series I,II won't fit a III.

Now I just need to figure out which "series" the 99CE butt stock is.

I measured the length to the hole as 71/8" on the forend and the 99CE corresponds to the "series I" solid frame early model. It looks like the series II is the solid frame "late model" and has the flared toe.

IC B2

E
ELP Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I need to correct myself! With respect to the diagrams on the link in the previous post the 99CE corresponds to the series II butt stock (3 1/8" upper tang and 5 1/4" drawbolt) and forend (6.5" from end to hole).

I believe I now at least know what to ask about when trying to find a compatible stock.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,088 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.