Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Any of you older gents remeber any gun shops up in Meadville, Pa. ?

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Colorado? Nope, guess again:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 01/29/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We even have our own mini Grand Canyon:

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And the best collection of hunting camps in the entire U.S.A. wink

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs

Selly Almon Sporting Goods (not quite sure about the spelling) was one I vaguely remember. I think Leupold used it in one of their ads when there was a really rainy first day of buck season, about 1966, I think. I think that particular store got a huge number of fogged scopes in for repair but not one Leupold.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs

Selly Almon Sporting Goods (not quite sure about the spelling) was one I vaguely remember. I think Leupold used it in one of their ads when there was a really rainy first day of buck season, about 1966, I think. I think that particular store got a huge number of fogged scopes in for repair but not one Leupold.

There was a gunshop in Meadville called Robbies Gunshop (late 40's early 50's).......my dad was related to the owner.....heaerrd some stories about it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Robbies was open until the late 90's when a Taco Bell took it's place.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There is a gunshop in Sugarcreek, PA that I try to visit
when up in PA. That guy has some pretty cool old rifles.
Cant think of the name of it though, he has an automotive
shop in the same building.

35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Any of you south western Pa. guys remember Buck Trews Gun Shop in Bentlyville?

Last edited by 35; 01/29/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 35

I grew up a couple blocks away. Spent many days gawking at all the mounts. Probably purchased my first half dozen hunting licenses at Trew's. There just aren't many places like that around anymore. I'm pretty sure the building isn't even there anymore.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You ever get up to Cooks forest.
Drive on up to the Farmers Inn in Sigel,Pa.

http://thefarmersinn.com/

Great place to eat.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The gunshop in Sugarcreek, PA that I mentioned is called
T&L Guns.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I pass by Siegel on the way North. Will give it a look. Of course will also have to stop in the Siegel Hotel just for old times sake.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
In our neck of the woods- Herndon/Dornsife/Dalmatia- the older generations were truly bilingual. Pennsylvania Dutch was heard as much as English. In fact my grandparents spoke more "Dutch" than they did English, especially between themselves. (Don'tcha know?)

The summer of '71, I was a laborer for Dean Carl of Carl's Masonry out of Herndon. They'd drive up to South Williamsport every day. We were putting up a three story apartment building. The older guys usually spoke Dutch to each other because it was more natural than English. Hard work and fun times. The one day, Dean hollered over to his cousin, Donny: "Hey, Donny. I chust saved yer life!" "How's that, Dean?" "I chust killed a [bleep]-eatin' fly!"

Last edited by shootinurse; 01/29/12.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If you are from PA well at least the central part you know Chicken pot pie is not a pie.

Its amazing the range of vocab in PA, my moms family is extremely dutchy(another term only PA people know). At my one great uncle's funeral more people spoke PA dutch then english. My Dads family was from Osceolo area and quite a bit of that vocab has made it into me as well.

My wifes from Philly and still shakes her head at a lot of it, or when we were dating she would look at me with this what did he say look on her face.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by palefty
If you are from PA well at least the central part you know Chicken pot pie is not a pie.

Its amazing the range of vocab in PA, my moms family is extremely dutchy(another term only PA people know). At my one great uncle's funeral more people spoke PA dutch then english. My Dads family was from Osceolo area and quite a bit of that vocab has made it into me as well.

My wifes from Philly and still shakes her head at a lot of it, or when we were dating she would look at me with this what did he say look on her face.

Ask your wife why people from Philly pronounce water as "wooter".

35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by 35

I grew up a couple blocks away. Spent many days gawking at all the mounts. Probably purchased my first half dozen hunting licenses at Trew's. There just aren't many places like that around anymore. I'm pretty sure the building isn't even there anymore.

Same here, it was an awesome gun shop.
Dad bought me a used Rifle there, it was a 760 in 06 with a 4x Weaver for 90 bucks.
Wish I still had it, it got stolen out of our house when the wife and I moved to town so she could go to school.

Last edited by 35; 01/30/12.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by battue
We even have our own mini Grand Canyon:

[Linked Image]

Oh I've spent many a week there.
Hiking and hunting all the fire roads and trails.

We used to take 422 all the "back home" from NE Ohio.
Long before I80 was completed. It was an all day journey, back to Shamokin.

My uncle worked at the Glen Burn too. But got the lung very early and had to remain above ground.

I took the tour once.. maybe in the 70's?
It is an old hole. Large enough to be a civil defense shelter for the entire town.
4-5000?

My grandparents never did speak english much. My father was bi-lingual. ( one of the reasons the Army sent him to the Aluteians! ) And then to Europe in time to cross the Rhine with Patton )
He was one of thirteen children, all gone now.
With too many cousins and grand cousins to count.
Now, we're all scattered hither and yon.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

It is an old hole. Large enough to be a civil defense shelter for the entire town.
4-5000?

Yeah, that mine was one very deep hole- maybe a mile deep as I recall? It's been a long time. It sure scared the bejesus out of me as a kid, and still gives me the willies when I think about it.

Everybody heated with coal, and it didn't take long for pristine fresh-fallen snow to take on a gray sheen from the perpetual smog that hung over the small towns. One of my daily chores as a little kid was to shovel coal from the coal bin into the hopper on the furnace, and help the old man dig the clinkers out of the grate. I can still see the steam locomotives (in use 'til the late 50's) pulling long trains of coal cars on the lines that hugged both sides of the Susquehanna River, and the poor people who couldn't afford coal delivery walking along those tracks with burlap bags- looking for chunks of coal that had fallen off of those trains. Anthracite truly was the blessing, and the curse, for that region.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

4-5000?

Yeah, that mine was one very deep hole- maybe a mile deep as I recall? It's been a long time. It sure scared the bejesus out of me as a kid, and still gives me the willies when I think about it.

Everybody heated with coal, and it didn't take long for pristine fresh-fallen snow to take on a gray sheen from the perpetual smog that hung over the small towns. One of my daily chores as a little kid was to shovel coal from the coal bin into the hopper on the furnace, and help the old man dig the clinkers out of the grate. I can still see the steam locomotives (in use 'til the late 50's) pulling long trains of coal cars on the lines that hugged both sides of the Susquehanna River, and the poor people who couldn't afford coal delivery walking along those tracks with burlap bags- looking for chunks of coal that had fallen off of those trains. Anthracite truly was the blessing, and the curse, for that region.

I love the smell of an anthracite fire; it is a childhood memory that I shall never forget.

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
265 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,767 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.