Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
With all the "Gun Nuts" on this forum, I'm sure I'm not the only nut that has highly customized a (pile) of turkey shotguns... So, what customizations have you made and what's your end result?

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I run Burris FF on all mine, trigger jobs, polish the inside of the barrels.
I do this on all my turkey guns. I also play with the chokes until I get what I want with the shells I am using.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I run a 11-87 I had dipped in Realtree AP with a 23 inch tube and an X-full choke, cant recall the maker, high viz sights with a monte carlo stock.

Not a super custom by any means but one I put together the way I wanted it. Shoots gobbler dumpin paterns to 40+, although I hate to shoot much past 35 or so. To me its a game of getting them close, not how far can I shoot one.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not much need for customization when you can get one of these out of the box:

[Linked Image]

Mossberg 500, 3" 12 ga, 20" barrel, fiber optic sights. I've done a disassembly, cleaned & polished the working surfaces and a good lube. I've cut a longer forcing cone and polished the barrel and installed a Star Dot choke.

I might switch to sturdier sights or even go with a red dot just to see what the fuss is about. Otherwise this gun is pretty much perfect for the way I hunt. IMO, if a turkey is too far away for a 2oz, 3" 12ga load, he's just too far away.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beretta Extrema II for me with a comp-n-choke XXfull.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Remington 870 Special Purpose 21" with a new trigger spring, polished barrel and a Kicks .660 choke. Mossberg 835 that I added a set of Williams Slugger sights, polished the barrel, and a StarDot .676" choke.

Not customs by any means but they shoot true and throw decent patterns.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
i sold my mossy 835
had tru glo pro series sights
sims pad
polished the bore
rhino .680 choke with nitro ray 501L 3.5 inch 4c5c7h 2 5/8ths oz shell

was a turkey slaying machine

needed the money badly

guy got an heck of a deal for 350 dollars

with 15 nitro shells included

got another mossy 835 a couple of months ago
gonna set it up with the same sights
polish the bore out

no sims pad for it this time
the factory pad on this newer gun seems better than what was on them before

and the .670 strut stopper extreme with the 3.5 mag blend shells
easy to get the shells right down the road at midsouth shooters supply

should be good to go for turkey this spring

Last edited by renegade50; 02/02/12.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Haven't done a whole lot to mine.

1) 870SM in RTHWDs, polished bbl, trigger job, Burris 336 FF mount, FF2, Shur Shot butt stock, Sims pad, JH choke, Hevishot handloads, claw sling

2) 1187SM in APG, Shur Shot, polished pipe, trigger job, FF2 on shortened Weaver rail, SC pad, claw sling, Rhino choke, hevi handloads

3) 870SM in MOBU, MC stock, Sims pad, CL mount, trigger job, polished pipe, Leupie RMs, Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5x20 in APG, claw sling, hevi handloads

4) 2-3/4 870WM, camo syn stocks, SC pad, vinyl skin on action, 21" RC bbl, polished pipe, trigger job, Williams FO sights, HS HDUT choke, 2-3/4" TSSXHevi 1-3/4oz handloads

5)1300, rattle can stencil camo, trigger job, polished pipe, SD choke, TG FO sights, cheap Allen sling in matching camo, ported pipe, 3" hevi handloads and 3" lead handloads

6) Bone stock SX3 in MONBU, SD choke, hevi handloads

7) In the works: SX2, fixn to get a MOI dip, 336 base and FF, JH choke, trigger job, claw sling

8) Bone stock Charles Daly 3" auto, JH choke, polished pipe, 3" hevi handloads

Have a few others as well, but those are my main turkey sticks.

loder

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I gave my favorite 870 Wingmaster turkey / water fowl gun to my son and needed a replacement so I bought this 870 Express.

[Linked Image]

The first thing I did was fill the butt stock with 4 ounces of lead and builders foam to balance the gun. I put a PVC pipe over the bolt to keep an open access to it in case I ever need to remove the stock or tighten that bolt. After the builders foam was set I removed the PVC pipe.

[Linked Image]

Then I took it out and shot a round of skeet.

The next modification I made was to dissemble the gun and carefully file and polish the machining burs left inside the action that were hanging up the fired shells and causing every other shot to jam. While I was at it I also polished the trigger and slide rails to smooth out a very rough action.

The second trip to the skeet range I didn't get any hung up hulls, the trigger was better and the action smoother though still rather "tight".

Next I installed the extra full choke and patterned the gun with my favorite 3 inch turkey loads. Those patterns were good. I did the same with the Skeet II choke and my steel duck loads. Those were good too.

So I took it duck hunting. Every two to three shots a fired shell hung up and didn't clear the action. This only happened with the three inch shells. The short shells cycled fine. For a while I could not figure out why the three inch shells were hanging up.

Then I got the cuff of my jacket hung up under the stock forearm when I cycled the action open. It was stuck tight and required some pulling, tugging, and bad language to remove. That's how I discovered that my hand was too far back on the forearm. Those longer shells were hitting my fingers and not clearing the action. I made an effort to correct my hand position but after getting my cuff hung up several more times I decided something had to be done about that new styled forearm. It might look snazzy but it sucks for function.

I removed the forearm and cut it shorter on my band saw. (Don't cringe, it's only a piece of plastic)
That solved the problem of hand placement and getting my jacket jammed up under that damned thing.

During all this BS the gun was patterning well and hitting everything I pointed it at. I broke targets, killed ducks, doves, and turkey gobblers. It seems I can't miss with it. I just had a lot of trouble getting it to function properly.

Here she is after I replaced that newfangled, Benelli looking, POS forearm with the old traditional style forearm, polished and slicked up the moving parts, and shot a case of shells through her.
[Linked Image]

This is about as "custom" as I ever want to get with a hunting shotgun. I have always liked 870 shotguns and like this one now, but I wish I had kept my old Wingmaster and given my son the "new" gun. wink

As to the original question about customizing a shotgun specifically for turkey hunting; I have never felt I was missing anything when killing turkey with a standard 870 pump action shotgun. That model shotgun fits me well and hits where I point it. With the correct shotshell/ choke combination it kills turkey as far out as I would want to shoot at them.

I have tried to like the fiber optic sights and can't. I haven't seen a need for three and a half inch shells, cammo paint jobs, or extended choke tubes. About the only modifications I make to change my water fowl shotgun into a Turkey shotgun is to change to a tighter choke and attach a sling.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I'm putting mine together now. Just waiting on the barrel. TC Encore, TC 24" 12 GA. barrel with .665 Indian Creek choke, topped with Nikon TBR (Turkey Bal. Ret.) scope. My buddy has the same setup minus the scope. We polish or smooth out the forcing cone making the pattern a lot more dense. He regularly shoots turkeys 60-80 yds. After seeing the pattern it throws, I believe it. Hope mine will do the same.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Mine was customized at the factory by Remington. It came with a birch stock, 26" matte finish barrel, a J-lock safety, and a plastic mag tube plug. run a Primos Jelly Head choke that will kill turkeys dead at 30 yards with #6 Heavi-13...which is 20 yards further than I like to shoot them at but sometimes I gotta do what I gotta do.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hear you! I enjoy those "close encounters" with strutting gobblers too. The fact is, I've killed more toms inside 20 yards using a 20 gauge than any other method. It's a rush!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I like talin' to em. Bringing them in close is what I like about hunting them. Knowing they are coming in to see what I was doing.

That and they're so unpredictable. When you think you got em figured out...you don't. grin

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought mine from Benelli, figuring a Super Blackeagle II is about right. Then I add a magazine extension, put in the Turkey Choke, then load the magazine with 2-3 1/2 inch #4 Bucksot loads, followed by 1-3 inch #2 Lead, with a 3 1/2 inch #4 buffered Turkey load in the chamber. I figure, with bad shooting and poor luck I can keep on firing out to 60+ yards with that combo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mossberg 835 Turkey tactical. Adjustable stock; Burris Fast Fire sight, polished barrel and a Hevi-13 .676 extended turkey choke.

[Linked Image]

With Hevi-13 number 7's it will do this at 40 yards.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As much of gun nut that I am my turkey gun is the only thing not tricked much. Standard 870 express 3" black synthetic. Only upgrades is the barrel was chopped to 18 1/2" and some clamp on tru glo rifle style sights were added to the rib. Threaed the barrel rem choke and run a dead coyote choke. Plenty accurate out to 60 ish yards with Hevi shot and nice and handy to carry. Also real easy to get out the truck window. wink

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've got a Remington SP-10. I purchased a 30" barrel and had Denny Tubbs hone the interior to a mirror finish and a consistent bore dimension from the forcing cone to the muzzle. I replaced the factory butt stock with the thumb-hole stock Remington offers. I had it dipped in Bottom Land camo, and I had a trigger job done by the gunsmith that builds my rifles for me. I then sent all the internals to Black Ice for a Teflon coating. I then pinned the barrel. I have an Aimpoint CompM4 red dot sight on it. I have several chokes I use depending on what I'm shooting. I mainly reload with Tungsten shot. For the Tungsten I use a custom choke Denny made when he honed my barrel. It's an honest 70 yard Turkey killer when I have it loaded with 2.25 oz of Tungsten shot.

I have a ridiculous amount of money invested in this shotgun.

I'll never sell it; conservatively I'd lose $1500 ~ $2000. All it is to a buyer is a used SP-10 with two holes drilled in the receiver where I pinned the barrel tang to the receiver.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pretty simple:

SBE2 matte/synthetic

26" tube with 660 rhino extended choke

Trigger job from Indian Creek (I think)

Burris speed bead

Nitro Company hevi shot loads he recommends

Have many paper plates with over 300 holes in them at 40 yards

Kicks like a mother

Think i will kill 1-2 more with it and switch to a remington 11-87 youth 20 gauge, my bow, or a pistol.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That's how I came by my SP-10. I had a SBEII, Rhino choke and a plethora of shells. I couldn't get it to pattern worth a hoot even with Nitro 4x5x7 shells. I shot over 50 rounds one weekend. By Wednesday my right shoulder was black and blue, and the blood had drained down the inside of my right arm turning it black to the wrist. I took that SBEII to my local gunshop and traded it even for the SP-10. Although the SP-10 is heavy, the recoil is more than a 20 gauge, but not near that of that Benelli blow-back action shotgun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
464 members (160user, 1Longbow, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,023 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.