Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
CZ 550's are heavy in most chamberings, but my FS in 9.3X62 is just right. It is a great shooter; the bolt was rough but smoothed up fairly quickly with use; I plan on keeping it forever. I had a CZ527 in .223 it was very smooth and fairly accurate, but I didn't shoot it very well offhand and I wanted a faster rifling twist, so I traded it.

I haven't shot a recent M70 but they feel nice and look good. I would make my choice depending on cartridge and the feel of the individual rifle.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by husqvarna
CZ 550's are heavy in most chamberings, but my FS in 9.3X62 is just right. It is a great shooter; the bolt was rough but smoothed up fairly quickly with use; I plan on keeping it forever. I had a CZ527 in .223 it was very smooth and fairly accurate, but I didn't shoot it very well offhand and I wanted a faster rifling twist, so I traded it.

I haven't shot a recent M70 but they feel nice and look good. I would make my choice depending on cartridge and the feel of the individual rifle.

Had one of those 550 'Mediums' in 9,3x62 with Mannlicher stock. I traded that "boulder" for Remington 660 in .350. I could not be happier with this swap. If the 550 was the one with black polymer stock and 23" barrel I would probably have kept the rifle. The difference from FS to that one is as great as night and day.

The CZ is great for Mini-Mauser .22lr or cavernous rounds like .416 Rigby, .450 Rigby,.... that require magnum action for everything else there are better choices out there.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Charlie Sisk opines that the CZ trigger mechanism is very complicated and has lots of parts. Otherwise great rifles

No direct experience there, but he certainly has lots of experience with various actions.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a pre CZ-USA CZ 550 that is absolutely wonderful. Has the set trigger and a 3 position safety. Its a little heavy but I absolutely love it. I also have a Classic Featherweight. Another great rifle, no complaints but when hunting the CZ seems to always go with me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shouldershot
Charlie Sisk opines that the CZ trigger mechanism is very complicated and has lots of parts. Otherwise great rifles

No direct experience there, but he certainly has lots of experience with various actions.

That is my opinion as well, which I wrote about. My 416 Rigby CZ has a NECG two pivot trigger mechanism that was designed for a M-98 Mauser and which is totally encased in a steel enclosure.

That said, the CZ 550, trigger and all, have a stellar reputaion for reliability and dependability here as well as in Africa so some of this is rifle looneys straining at nats.

Last edited by safariman; 02/02/12.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Does either have stock cracking issues, esp. in bigger calibers?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've got a CZ 9.3x62. It's accurate and the trigger is very crisp (after a trigger job). It also feeds well. The CZ is definitely on the heavy side which is great for shooting but not so fun carrying all day up and down the mountains.

I also own an FN M70 (the FN SPR A3G heavy barreled tactical type). This rifle shoots very well, however there were some issues with it. They made these with a heavy trigger, and warrranty is void if you have it modified. The pull was just too heavy for this type of a rifle so I have had that fixed. This rifle is a 308, but use's their 300 WSM action. I believe this caused feeding problems. I've had that worked on and it is now pretty good for my purposes but not really 100%. The stock comes with an adjustable cheek piece anchored by two screws, one of which stripped out quickly under normal use. Now use an Eagle stock pack which works better anyway. Not a fan of the McMillan adjustable cheekpieces.

I know this isn't about the older M70's but by way of comparison, I also have three of the older M70 Classics, which were purchased used and unseen over the net. Two of these are for future projects. One doesn't feed well at all and came with a 7 plus pound trigger pull, the other has a stripped action screw (probably by the owner). The third is good to go. A friend has a supergrade which came with a 9lb plus trigger pull! Pretty rifle but jeez.

I haven't had the best luck with rifles and over all I'm less than thrilled with QC of any of the makers and even less than impresssed with a gunsmith or two. If you have a good rifle don't take it for granted. It's encouraging to hear good things about the newer M70's. Just wish they still had the old trigger design.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Model 70 is a more refined product. The integral dovetail on the CZ would be a great feature if there were decent LOW rings available for them. Also, they could use a better recoil stop system for the rings.
The CZ trigger is complex. Complexity in trigger mechanisms seems to be a European tendency. GD

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd take a Ruger over a CZ any day. I'd take a Ruger over a Winchester if I wanted a "tough" gun, but I usually just run my Winchesters.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a CZ 550 and a couple of New Haven Classic 70's.

The CZ is in 416 Rigby. On mine the bolt was a little stiff when I first got it - a few hours while I watched a football game cured that. I have done some work to tweak mine although as far as accuracy mine was pretty good out of the box. No issues, great fit and finish. Is CZ slipping? I was thinking of picking up a 9.3x62.

My Model 70's are great. Both are accurate. I have looked at, shot, and worked on the new FN Model 70's. Don't care for the trigger much, thought they should have left that alone. Apart from that - good fit and finish - and once we set the trigger up on my friends extreme weather in 3006 it's accuracy was impressive.

Based on my experience with both I wouldn't hesitate to buy either again.

Last edited by Westcoaster; 02/03/12. Reason: sp
IC B3

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm reading this with some interest. I still think about picking up a Rigby in a 550, realizing that it will be a bit of a project rifle. I think with Ruger offering the African in a 9.3x62, I've talked myself out of that one from CZ. If I do get a .416 Rigby, Mark you better be prepared for a flood of PMs!

(I'd also be interested in finding a copy of your article somehow.)

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had both(Classic Model 70 x 4 & 3 x CZ550's). Winchester wins this battle without working up a sweat.
I still prefer the new FN over the 550's.

The 550's are a good solid dependable action but ........

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KDK
I'm reading this with some interest. I still think about picking up a Rigby in a 550, realizing that it will be a bit of a project rifle. I think with Ruger offering the African in a 9.3x62, I've talked myself out of that one from CZ. If I do get a .416 Rigby, Mark you better be prepared for a flood of PMs!

(I'd also be interested in finding a copy of your article somehow.)

I have color re prints on hand.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Neither are Mausers..

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'd cast my lot for the Model 70. Some quibble over the new trigger assembly with the move to FN, though I've not seen nor heard any trouble. The swamp gas is that because it's enclosed all manner of gunk will build up there (including gumming of WD40) ruining hunts, getting hunters gored by angry Cape buffalo, eaten by lions, and overlooked by lovely lasses. That may well be true, but then it's similarly true of a multitude of rifle triggers that have been successfully proven in the game fields for decades.

I'd also favor a Ruger over the CZ, but that's shaving a bit closer.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Id take a 70 over a CZ any day of the week too. CZ's that I have handled were crude clubs. Id probaly take a Ruger over a CZ as well, but its less clear cut in that case.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gunsmith Lon Paul dose real magic on the CZ's or Brno's. They are a bit rough but some TLC and a little chipping around the corners can turn them into something ver special. Out of the box with min amount of tinkering, a M-70 is a good place to look. All in all there is good value with either one.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AHR (American Hunting Rifles) can take that sow's ear CZ 550 and make it into a silk purse.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just recieved my Winchester model 70 22-250 yesterday and WOW what a rifle! The fit and finish is perfect. I own 2 CZ Model 550 and will never sell them but,they don't hold a candle to the model 70 in fit and finish. Both my CZ's will shoot MOA easy enough so hopefully the Winchester model 70 will shoot as good as it looks.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 47 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,514
Posts18,452,673
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.