Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
January Recipe .257WBY

Originally Posted by 257wby
I do. This is a family favorite to accompany beef, either grilled or roasted. It was originally called Golden Onions, but is now affectionately know as Onion Pie at our house.

6 medium onions, sliced
3/4 cup of butter divided
1/4 cup of all purpose flower
1/2 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
2 cups of milk
2 T chicken bullion granules
1/4 Cup of burgundy wine
3/4 pound of swiss or gruyere cheese, shredded
1 french baugette sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
4 T melted butter

In a large skillet, saute the onions in 1/2 cup of butter over medium heat stirring frequently until translucent. About 15 minutes. Transfer onions to a buttered 2-quart shallow baking dish and set aside.

In a large sauce pan over low heat, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in the flour and stir for for 2 minutes. Add salt, pepper, milk and bullion granules ( I substitute chicken soup base)stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in the burgundy. Pour the sauce over the onions.

Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Dip one side of the bread slices in 4 T of melted butter. Place slices buttered side up over the sauce covering the sauce completely.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bread is completely browned.
After baking let it set up for a few minutes and enjoy!

It is supposed to serve 8. Enjoy! Jeff

If you have any questions about the prep, fire away! I generally use a smaller baugette than the picture and crowd them closer so everyone gets a baugette with every spoonful.

[Linked Image]

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
GB2

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
February Recipe Freemont

Originally Posted by fremont
Not sure it was blind luck or not, but being the February recipe allows me to give you a great Valentine's Day dish. I've made this several times, and it's been well-received. The original recipe I used says it serves 4, but you'd better augment with veggies, salad & bread if you're going to feed that many (it only calls for a 24 oz. roast); it's better for 3 people and there will be leftovers for 2 people. Now, I've made for 4 people, but there are no leftovers.

You prepare a flour & kosher salt crust which becomes its own oven in which you'll bake the tenderloin. It continues to cook after you've removed from the oven. You crack open the crust in front of your guests, remove the fragrant roast and carve tableside. Always a crowd-pleaser. I've always done with beef, but you could probably use the tenderloin from certain types of game (i.e., for those animals where it's safe to cook on the rarer side).

In a large bowl, mix 2 1/2 cups AP flour, 1 1/2 cups kosher salt, 2T black pepper and 1/4 cup assorted fresh herbs. (I like Italian parsley, thyme, oregano and rosemary. I know a lot of recipes ask for fresh herbs, and many of us say "Yeah, right. Dried is fine." If at all possible, try to use fresh. It literally makes the dish.) In another small bowl, beat 2 egg whites until foamy. Gradually pour 1/2 cup + 2T water into the flour mixture, then egg whites, and stir with a wooden spoon until it begins to clump together. Knead in bowl, adding more water by the tablespoon until a moist dough forms. (I wouldn't use more than a couple additional tablespoons of water, though, as you don't want dough goopy.) Transfer to a floured surface and knead until it smooths out, about 3-4 min. (Do not become alarmed by dough's consistency. It's not a conventional flour dough; about 40% of it is salt, so it's grainy, etc.) Form the kneaded dough into a ball, cover in plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for approximately 4 hours.

Preheat a 400 degree oven. Heat approx. 2T olive oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Brown a 1.5# center cut, trimmed tenderloin on all sides. Set aside.

Roll out dough to an approx. 13"x10" rectangle. Place beef in center of dough, and cover with another 1/4 cup of assorted fresh herbs. Wrap beef. (Again, don't get concerned or frustrated about the dough or wrapping process. Wrap as best as you can, pinching openings closed. Use excess scraps of dough to plug holes. It'll take a few minutes, but you'll quickly see that you can fully encase the tenderloin.)

Place encased beef on baking dish and roast until rare (120-125 degrees, checked at the thickest part of the roast), approx. 25-30 min. Then remove and let stand for additional 30-60 min. (30 min. seems to get you to about med-rare.) I served with creamed horseradish sauce, roasted winter veggies, salad and a mellow red table wine.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
March Recipe Bob B257

[quote=Bob_B257]This is a nice simple one that is a family tradition from my moms side.
I was thinking that I should have taken July because we enjoy these the best when the fresh corn is in during the summer, but March works because it is sugaring time in New England.

The base is any pancake batter.

I like to make my own,

1 1\2 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1\2 cup milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter

Mix the dry ingredients and then add the egg and milk. Mix in the butter melted. For this dish a more runny mix is OK.

In the summer we always cook more corn than needed for dinner (Boiled shucked or Grilled with husk on and tassels removed). The extra is cut off the cob and saved for the next days breakfast. This corn is mixed in a bowl with the batter (Just enough batter to hold the corn together) and fried in a buttered skillet till golden brown. The Idea is to just stick the corn together enough so it can be flipped when one side is done. The result is served with warm Maple Syrup.

Now the part that matters. This tradition is not set in stone. I make them with canned corn and Bisquick if that is all that is in camp, and if all you have is Aunt Jimima corn syrup enjoy. Not expensive or hard to find items, but a favorite in my house on a Saturday or Sunday morning for sure. If you have a load of fresh silver queen sweet corn and a nice sample of medium amber maple syrup it is a Home Run. A great way to start off the morning before a big work project or fishing trip. My kids always ask for more.

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
April Recipe DvdeGeorge

Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Ok folks sorry for the delay.....and the recipe is ...
Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes...I have been making these for quite a few years now and they seem to be a big hit.

Ingredients

16 oz. lump crab meat
2 eggs beaten
1/4 red bell pepper finely diced
1/4 small sweet onion(vadalias are best when in season)finely diced
4 tbs mayonnaise
1 1/2 tbs Old Bay seasoning
1/4-1/2 tsp hot cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp dry yellow mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tbs chopped fresh cilantro
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 pinch of sugar
2/3 cup crushed corn flake crumbs(these can be purchase in a box already to use (This is the ingredient that really sets these crab cakes apart from others )
extra virgin olive oil
2 tbs butter

Mix all ingrediants together except the lump crab meat.
After everything is mixed GENTLY incoropate the crab meat.You want everything mixed but don't want the crab meat broken up.
now form into cakes cover with wax paper or I use freeze paper (the coated side)refrigerate the cakes for an hour or two or longer if you want to pre prepare them.
Next coat a pan with olive oil and 2 tbs butter heat and when hot add the cakes. Fry till brown and flip and repeat till golden brown on other side. remove from pan on to plate with paper towel to drain excess oil and then plate for eating. I make a quick remolade with french dressing,honey, apricot preseve and 2 tbs mayo. I tend to just see what I have on hand and get creative.
I invited a new lady friend over for dinner last night,she lived in Maryland for many years and she was impressed with them.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
May Recipe Miss Lynn

Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
First I would like to thank you folks for your patience and understanding. It was, and is, appreciated.

I made this with my granddaughter Cavelle (5), it took quite a while to make as we both took turns with the prep work and taking pictures. We both love Dr Pepper and pork, and we both love this recipe, so I thought this would be a great recipe to share with you folks even though I know it is not as sophistacted as previous ones posted. But we hope you will enjoy it despite that fact.

NOTE: We also found by using the Dr Pepper from a large bottle we had plently left over for Dr Pepper Floats using Chocolate Ice Cream. I mean honestly, could we let it go to waste ???? NOOOOOOOOO, NEVER ! grin

The flavour of the pork with the earthy spiciness of the chipotle peppers and adobe sauce, mixed with the unique flavour of the Dr Pepper turns out to be one amazingly delicious combination. The meat is succulent and tender beyond belief. Honestly it takes a while to cook, but it is sooooooooo worth it in the end ! smile

Now, on with the recipe:

Spicy Dr Pepper Pulled Pork

2 whole Large Sweet Onions
1 whole Pork Shoulder (Butt) about 5 To 7 Pounds
Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
2 cans (7 Ounce) Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce
2 cans Dr. Pepper (I used 20 ounces from a large bottle)
1/2 tsp Cumin
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.

Peel the onions and cut them into wedges. Place them in the bottom of a large dutch oven, sprinkle cumin across the top of the onion wedges.

Salt and pepper the pork roast, then set it on top of the onions in the pan.

Pour the cans of chipotle peppers over the pork (including the sauce.) Now pour in both cans of Dr Pepper. Add brown sugar, stir in. (After 4 hours of cooking I tasted the sauce for the balance of heat against sweet, which led to me using an extra tablespoon of brown sugar).

Put the lid tightly on pot, then place pot in the oven. Cook for at least six hours, turn the roast two or three times during the cooking time. After 6 hours check the meat, it should be falling apart (use two forks to test.) If it�s not, return to the oven for another hour.

Take the meat out of the pot and place on a cutting board. Use two forks to shred meat, pick out any large pieces of fat and discard. Strain as much of the fat off the top of the cooking liquid as you can and discard. Return the shredded meat to the cooking liquid, and keep warm until ready to serve (I placed it in the oven, covered at 200 degrees).

Apple Cider Coleslaw

1 small head cabbage, cored and sliced thinly
1 half vidalia onion, sliced thinly
1 green bell pepper, sliced thinly (i prefer small dice)
1 c. shredded carrots (depends on how much you like carrots)
1/4 c. hot water
3/4 c. cider vinegar
1/3 c. oil
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1 tsp. celery seeds
1 tsp. kosher salt

Put all the vegetables in a really large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the hot water and sugar until sugar is dissolved, then add the cider vinegar, oil, mustard, celery seeds and salt. Stir to combine.

Pour the vinegar mixture over the vegetables, stir well to coat. Cover with plastic wrap (or the lid of the bowl) and refrigerate. Is best made 12-24 hours ahead of time, because flavors will meld.

[Linked Image]
Onion wedges on bottom of pan. I put the ingredients initally in this white dish so the process could be seen better as my dutch oven dish is a black/blue and nothing really shows up in it. I later transferred it for the cooking.

[Linked Image]
I left a layer of fat on for the cooking process, later it come of with just the light scrape of a knife.

[Linked Image]
(Excuse the background mess, I am having the living room and dining room renovated) Use 2 cans of these little puppies, and do not underestimate the power within shocked

[Linked Image]
Pretty picture before the smearing of the sauce.

[Linked Image]
Only the real thing will do !

[Linked Image]
An angle shot.

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/Lynn_D_1961/sixthtolast.jpg[/img]
A close up ! (Posssibly too close, the picture is a bit fuzzy crazy Sorry)

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/Lynn_D_1961/IMG00440-20110507-1733.jpg[/img]
The midget wanted her's with pepperjack cheese and some of the sauce smeared on the inside top of the toasted kaiser roll she had hers on.

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/Lynn_D_1961/last.jpg[/img]
We prefer the coleslaw on the side, though it is traditional to serve it as a topping for the pulled pork. The midget finished the plate off with BBQ chips (not shown).

IC B2

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
June Recipe Medicman

Well folks this recipe is not complex, or expensive and it is a third generation pass down. It is a two part recipe in that left overs from the first part are used for the second.
Photos will be posted in a few days I hope, but are not necessary to completion.

Part One: Fish

8 oz of fish per person(filet from a two pound walleye or any fish filet. if large trout, pike, snook etc you may have to cut to serving size pieces.) Truly this works for any fish.

In four pie plates or bowls place
1) milk
2) flour (salt, pepper. cajun seasoning, greek seasoning or your favourite)
3) eggs beat to mix
4) corn meal

Pat the fish dry. Dip im milk, allow to drip then dredge with flour on both sides, shake off excess flour, dip in egg, place in cornmeal, coating all sides. Sprinkle with lemon pepper. Place on plate large enugh to hold all fish. Continue until all fish is prepared.

Heat oven to 350 F I bake the fish on a cookie sheet lightly sprayed with Pam because of heart problems. Before that I pan fried or deep fried, it all works. Don't start the fish yet, the breading sticks better if you wait a while and besides, you have part two to do.

Part Two: Johnny Cake.

Measure the flour, milk, and corn meal you used for the fish, and add enough so that you have a cup of esch. Keep Wet and dry ingredients separate. To the corn meal and flour tht you have put in a two quart bowl, add 1/4 cup brown sugar and three teaspoons of baking powder. I throw in about 1/4 cup of flax seed but that is not the traditional recipe. Remember my heart thingy?

Pour the cup of milk and remaining egg(if it is at least a whole egg worth, if not add an extra egg) 1/4 cup oil,or melted butter, or melted lard. I use extra virgin olive oil, gues why.

Pam or butter an 8"x8" cake pan.

Mix the wet ingredients into the dry just until combined with a fork. Don't overmix as it makes the Johnny cake tough. Place in the middle rack for twenty five minutes to thirty five minutes depending on how wet your batter was. When it separates from the side of the pan and a toothpick inserted comes out clean it is done.

Place your fish on the prepared cookie sheet and place on the top rack when the Johnny cake has been in 15 minutes or so. |The fish takes ten minutes to cook depending on the thickness of the fillets. You don't need to turn it.

If deep frying or pan frying turn to brown both sides as you normally would. In this case I would wait until the Johnny cake is in the oven and almost done as the fish cooks faster this way.

This is an old Canadian meal and we cut the Johnny cake into nine pieces, They are cut in half and butter and maple syrup is applied liberally. In my case no butter and a light drizzle of syrup. You know, the heart thingy.

The Johnny cake is called corn bread, corn pone, and various other names in other places, but here where I grew up any other name lets us know you are from somewhere else.

There is an old song about bush camp life in which the chorus goes:

Sitting on a tree stump
Eatin Johnny Cake.
I heard the wistle blow and
I had to take a break,
Drinking my tea from an old tin can,
That is the life of a luberjack man.

This recipe obviously came from a time where nothing was wasted.

I hope you enjoy and local fish are used, spices to local tastes etc. I guess corn syrop would be an appropriate sbstitute.

Randy
P.S,
For years we took two hundred pounds of cleaned pike to a family reunion in Saskatchewan every three years and would feed all the members of the family(100+) and many of their friends deep frying over open fires with big outfitter frying pans. There was no time for the Johnny cake. By morning of the next day all 200 pounds of fish was cleaned up. Boy those farm people know how to eat.

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
July Recipe Chris C

[quote=chris_c][Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Caramel Delight Cake (has also been called "better than sex cake")

Ingredients

German Chocolate Cake Mix (with ingredients listed on box)

About 20 caramels

sweetened condensed milk

Pint heavy whipping cream

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup milk

Vanilla instant pudding

Preheat oven to 350 and mix cake mix per instructions

pour half mix into greased and floured 9 x 13 pan
bake for 20 minutes, while baking melt condensed milk and caramels together

pour caramel mix over cake and add the other half of cake mix, bake approx 20 minutes ( clean toothpick inserted in top half of cake)

cool cake, whip one pint heavy whipping cream with 1/3 cup sugar then add 1/3 c milk, instant pudding and mix.

spread over cake, and refrigerate or eat!

Will post additional photo's when cake cools and is frosted.

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
August Recipe Meddybemps

My wife and I split out time between our home here in the hills of Central Massachusetts and Downeast Maine. In Maine, we tend to have a lot of company; in fact we sometimes joke that we operate the only nonprofit bed and breakfast in the state. We end up preparing a lot of meals in the course of a summer and doing elaborate recipes becomes a bit of a chore, especially as August rolls around. We tend to look for recipes that are good, maybe a little over the top, but most importantly, easy. The August recipe qualifies on all three counts.

In the afternoon when the days activities are over, the beer is coming off the ice and the martinis are being mixed in the pitcher, it is someimes nice to have something to offer up besides the usual cheese and crackers. We have found that thin crust pizzas serve admirably because they are fun to do, easy and almost always come out well. Our guests love them and I think you will too. Let's deal with the basics. First, these are meant to be really thin. You can go to the trouble of making your own pizza dough or even using store bought dough and rolling it out. We do neither. We use plain flour tortillas or Armenian lavash bread. Pita bread might work was well, but we have never tried it. We always make at least two different varieties. Part of the fun of these is that you can make two or three different pizzas easily and everyone gets to sample some slices of each. A quick survey of the leftovers in the refrigerator will suggest combinations you can try. Let's start with something familiar: pepperoni pizza. Here's how we do them. First the ingredients.

1.Flour tortillas or lavash bread, 8, 10 or 12 inch
2.Olive oil
3.Tomato paste
4.Mozzarella cheese .. shredded or cubed buffalo mozzarella
5.Pepperoni slices
6 Parmesan or one of the four or five cheese blends you find in the local market
7.Pizza seasonings or Italian seasoning and pepper

Here's how:
1.Turn you oven or grill to 450 degrees.
2.Place the tortilla on a pizza pan, stone or baking pan. Brush a generous amount of olive oil on BOTH sides of the torilla.
3.Using the back of a spoon, spread about a tablespoon of tomato paste over the surface of the tortilla. Remember finger painting when you were a kid?
4.Spread a modest handful of cheese over the tomato paste
5.Lay out the pepperoni slices on top of the cheese.
6.Scatter another very light layer of cheese over the pepperoni.
7.Sprinkle pizza or Italian seasoning over the entire surface followed by a light dusting of parmesan or cheese blend.
8. A drizzle of olive oil
9. Place the pan in the now heated oven or grill for 6 to 10 minutes. You will have to judge how things are going on your grill or in your oven as we have found that temperatures can vary a lot from grill to grill, oven to oven. The pizza is done when the edges just begin to curl and turn golden brown.

So there you have it; pepperoni pizza.The exact quantities are all pretty much to eye and individual tastes. Have at it. Even your failures will be pretty good.

It would probably be enough to leave things as they are, but pepperoni pizza is so...so...well, pedestrian. You kind of know how it's going to turn out. Where's the fun in that? So, we never make just one kind. We search the refrigerator for those odd ball leftovers from meals past for inspiration. You'll have to go no further than the menu from your local pizza joint for other combinations. We add different varieties of olives, anchovies, smoked salmon, moose sausage( you have moose sausage on hand, dont you?), left over bar-b-qued chicken, fiddle head ferns, spinach, the contents of that skimpy bag of salad greens, ham, crumbled meatloaf,bits of lobster, clams, mussels and....well, you get the point. The key here is to keep the topping thin and the crust crispy.

We do the thin crust pizzas mostly as appetizers, but you might want to try them as a light lunch or dinner.In that case, increase the thickness of the toppings a bit and lower your oven temp to about 400 degrees. Beats the cardboard frauds you buy out of the freezr chest in the local Pggly Wiggly. We often make them in advance of guest's arrival and stack them up on the counter so we can pop them in the oven when we hear tires on the gravel driveway out front.

For something really different, consider making a pizza tart as a dessert. We have done blueberries, rasberies,or strawberries with a sweetened ricotta underneath. No reason why you couldn't do apples, cinnamon sugar and, what the hell, grated cheddar cheese. A plain tortilla, brushed with melted butter, sprinkled with maple syrup walnuts and cinnamon , baked and sliced into thin wedges goes well with ice cream in a pinch.

OK, there you have it. The August recipe is not so much a recipe as it is a call to those of you who inhabit this foody forum to play with some tortillas over the next few weeks. Let see what you can do. Post the pictures and have fun.

Now, let's see if I can post the pictures of the smoked salmon and fiddlehead fern pizzas from a week ago........damn, they were good.

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
September Recipe Rob P

Originally Posted by rob p
Grandma's Sweetbread.

Yeah, this should be fun. Making bread is quite a trick. We make sweetbread for Easter and Christmas every year. We have it together for holiday breakfast with Italian Sausage and eggs. We also toast it with lots of butter. Mmmmm. This is my Grandma's recipe from our church's 1971 cookbook. I've been making it since I was old enough to stand on a chair. I'd love to see you all make sweet bread.

2 Envelopes of dry yeast. I use the rapid rise
1 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup 105 degree Water
1 tsp Salt
1 Tbs Anise Seeds
1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
3/4 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Butter - 1 Stick!
4 Large Eggs
7 to 7 1/2 Cups Sifted All Purpose Flour

1. [Linked Image]

Melt butter into the milk and set aside to cool. *** Use 1 stick. I had to double the recipe because I had to give most of it away. Carry On!

2. [Linked Image]

Beat together your eggs, sugar, and salt.

3. [Linked Image]

Proof yeast. Add it to warm water with a pinch of sugar. It should foam up. If not, toss it and start over.

4. [Linked Image]

Choose your flavorings. We use 1T of Anise Seeds, and 1T of Vanilla.

5. [Linked Image]

Combine proofed yeast with the butter mixture and begin adding flour 1 cup at a time, beating together. You'll have to switch to a strong wooden spoon, or get your hands dirty.

6. [Linked Image]

7. When the dough starts to pull away from the bowl, flop it out onto a flour covered board (or counter top). Sprinkle with flour and begin kneading. I roll dough forward, ball up, and roll forward again. Over and over. For 10 minutes! You should have a nice soft, smooth dough.

8. Place dough in a large oiled bowl and cover with clean towels. Let rise in a warm place 2 hours, or more, until doubled in size. I like to light the oven for about a minute, turn it off, and pop the dough in there. Warm, no drafts, perfect!

9. Punch dough down, flop back on your cutting board and divide into 3 or 4 loaves. Place onto oiled baking sheets and cover with towels. Let rise again 2 hours or more, until doubled. Again, warm, draft free place.

10. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes. You have to stop, pull out loaves and tap them. They shouldn't feel very dense. You're going to get nice brown loaves, but you want to go a little more, until they cook through.

11. [img]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff37/puckett93/014-1.jpg[/img]

Brush loaves with melted butter. Set aside to cool.

12. [img]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff37/puckett93/015.jpg[/img]

Slice and enjoy.

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
October Recipe Duck911

Hi all!

I have a lot of recipes I considered for the Oct recipe but fall is rolling into Colorado this weekend so some chili sounded about right!

Last winter, the wife and I went to Beaver Creek, Co with some friends in mid-winter. We enjoyed the hot tub in the snow, skied some, drank a lot blush and generally, had a great time.

We planned one evening at a ranch out in the boonies, where they had a large feast, starlight sleigh rides, etc. It was a dude ranch family type atmosphere and the food was good.

But the Chili was UNBELIEVABLE!

I am not usually much of a chili fan but I swear I had 3 or 4 bowls of this stuff. I think what I liked about it was that it did not have slimy chinks of cooked tomatoes, beans, or anything else. It was a wholesome, think, beef chili. BEEF, and CHILI. And the beef was smokey, charred, tasty stuff, not ground beef.

I decided I needed to perfect their recipe (they claimed it has won many a chili cookoff). I have more or less nailed it, and it's really simple to make:

First, the real secret is to grill the beef. I use london broil or top round, but the truth of the matter is, just about any steak works because it gets cooked down and tenderized in the chili. I made this with a tri-tip roast last spring and it was fantastic.

All measurements approximate, and to taste:

2-3 lbs seasoned grilled beef, cubed into 1/2" chunks
3 cans beef broth
1 diced white onion
3 to 4 crushed cloves fresh garlic (to taste)
5 T. (regular) Chili powder
2-3 T. Ancho Chili powder
1 t. smoked paprika (important to get the smoked paprika!)
1/2 t. (regular) paprika
2 t. cumino
1 1/2 t. oregano
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste

That's it! Add the beef and all ingredients and boil down until the desired thickness is reached. If the chili reduces before it's come together and the beef is tender, add a touch of water and continue to boil. I have also crock-potted this all day while at work and it worked well too.

Enjoy

IC B3

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
November Recipe DuxnDogs

Originally Posted by duxndogs
Pork Crown Rib Roast

This is a relatively simple dish that has a lot of presentation value and with one additional side can be an entire meal. If you are tired of turkey this makes a great substitute for the Thanksgiving meal and guests just love it.

A crown roast is made from a center cut bone-in roast, typically I figure � lb to 1 lb per person and this usually works out to one bone per person. Make sure you start with a center cut loin, if it�s less than 7 bones chances are you�re not going to be able to make it into a single roast and you will need to join two loins. Joining two loins makes a prettier crown roast because it allows the bend to happen without the deep slits needed to make smaller loin into one roast. Most butchers will prepare the loin for you, just tell them how many bones you want, some will require a few days advance notice. Most charge a small very reasonable fee but beware, lately I�ve heard some butchers have gotten pretty crazy on the cost to cut and tie the roast so ask before you order. Our local Publix stores will prep the roast for no additional charge. If you plan to have your butcher prep the roast stop reading here and skip down to the recipe, if you are a little handy with a knife and a "do-it-yourself type like me keep reading.

I originally had a step by step put together with a few pics but I think the video clip I included is easier to follow so I�m just going to give an overview with some tips I�ve picked up over the years.

- When you get your loin have your butcher remove the backbone, this will be a saw cut above the loin and opposite of the curved rib section, it will result in a triangular section of bone being removed.
- Remove the chine bones, these are very thin bones that will start just below the backbone cut on the opposite side of the roast from the ribs, typically one per rib bone but they are offset. All should come off with one cut (see pic and video for detail).
- Remove the membrane from the ribs, I know it�s been debated here but I still say remove it!!
- Remove the small �spoon� bones between the rib tips and where the chime bone came off
- �French� the rib ends, this simply means to remove the meat and expose the rib tips
- If making a small roast out of a single loin score meat between bones on the rib side to allow it to turn back on itself, if joining two loins do not score the meat
- Use a knife and cut a hole behind the end bones and insert a long section of string through both ends (two per end per loin section) prior to bending the loin
- Wrap loin back on itself with ribs facing out, tie string and cut off excess

Video of meat prep from start to finish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze9dVDw6r3I

Sections of a center cut loin

[Linked Image]

At this point it should look something like this for a dbl loin, (hint - a little trimming on the ends to make the gap between adjoining bones of the two loin sections would make this loin look a lot better in the end

[Linked Image]

Recipe

Now the easy part, cooking it!!

Roast
- 11 to 18 bone prepped crown roast (smaller roasts will just have left over stuffing)

Wash
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- � teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic mashed
- � cup olive oil

Stuffing
The sky is the limit; this sausage and wild rice stuffing has been around forever and is always popular
- 1 lb favorite ground sausage
- 2 apples chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 oz button mushrooms - sliced
- 4 oz [bleep] mushrooms -sliced
- � cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- � teaspoon salt
- � teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch cayenne (optional)
- 1 � 8oz package wild rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water

Baste (optional)
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 5 tablespoons Vidalia onion jelly (any sweet onion jelly will work, you can find in most grocery stores and its simple to make)
- 2 cups pulp free orange juice
- Mix together in a sauce pan and cook over low heat, stir until reduced by half

Cooking Instructions

Preheat oven or cooker to 350F, place the roast on a rack with a drip pan underneath. Thoroughly mix all wash ingredients together and brush all sides of roast. Cover rib tips with aluminum foil. Place roast in oven/cooker and start on the stuffing. (BGE cookers use a plate setter)

Brown the sausage and drain, in a separate pan melt butter and cook onions, celery and garlic until soft, add apples and cook for 2 additional minutes, add rice, stock, water, sage, thyme, oregano, paprika, salt, cayenne and pepper and bring to a rapid boil while stirring, boil for 2 minutes and reduce heat to simmer. Add mushrooms and cover pot. Cook rice according to directions which is usually about 40 minutes on simmer and another 10 off of the heat. When rice is done (all moisture absorbed), fluff rice and add sausage.

Pull roast and add stuffing to center, use a spoon to fill entire center cavity and take time to get roast in as perfect a circle shape as you can.

Once roast reaches 125F internal temp in the thickest part of the meat start basting all exposed meat with a brush. Cook until internal temp reaches 145F. Pull and let rest for 15-20 minutes.

Should look like this

[Linked Image]

Crown caps are optional, if not using them remove the aluminum foil for the last 5 minutes and the bones get a nice brown color. Transfer to a serving platter and dress up with some curly parsley and cherry tomatoes and it makes quite the center piece.

You can make a gravy or dipping sauce from the pan drippings

To serve just slice between bones and plate with the stuffing

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
December Recipe Miss T

Originally Posted by MissTreated
Hey, I'm prepared! I was at work!!!

The choice for this recipe was a difficult one. I wanted to make it special, so my shrimp salad was top of the list. However, one of the guidelines was looming over me, "affordable", and another was "easy to locate", and some of you "inlanders" might find Prince William Sound shrimp a little scarce. We'll save that one for some other time.

So the month of December is no special shrimp recipe, but it is one without a lot of starch, unless you want to add a good bread on the side. It's one you can use with your game meat, so the cost will be low. I've done it with deer and moose. (And besides, no one had done a salad yet...) smile

Enjoy!

Thai Beef (or deer or moose or caribou or...) Salad
4 servings

6 fresh cilantro sprigs
2 � tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 teaspoons minced lemon peel
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 pound flank (or sirloin or something similar) steak

1 red leaf lettuce head, leaves separated
4 green onions, thinly sliced
3 dried hot red chilies, crushed
� cup chopped fresh cilantro

Combine first 6 ingredients in processor and blend until as smooth as possible. Heat oil in heavy small saucepan over high heat. Add contents of processor and bring to boil. Set aside.

Preheat broiler (or grill). Season steak with salt and pepper. Grill to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for rare. Transfer steak to cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes.

Arrange lettuce leaves on plates. Thinly slice steak across grain. Transfer steak to medium bowl. Add green onions and chilies. Bring dressing to simmer. Pour over steak mixture in bowl and toss to coat. Divide steak mixture among lettuce-lined plates. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.

[Linked Image]

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
January 2012 Recipe AtvAlaska

Originally Posted by atvalaska
Beef ribs with kraut and diced tomatoes, this is a hearty �easy� (only 3 items ) to make dish�. eating it, as a kid in the 60�s ( in the MN & WI ) Mississippi river bottoms where I grew up, it has to be German as there is so many in the fam-damy that we could form our own 3rd Reich)��.-some of u have already ran away because of the word sauerkraut ---(So my wife tossed in her chicken curry below!) ---- For the real eaters in the crowd, get ready for some really good eats ���. 1st off go find some beef ribs with meat on them,( this is hard in some areas as �they� cut off/notch the meat for burger grind ) 2. Set the oven to 335 3. Get a 9x13 pan 4. Peel the �skin � off the back side of all and score it like so (see pic) 5. Very, very, lightly dust the meat with salt and pepper 6. Place the biggest rack �outside� of cow down/liner up. 7. Top with a layer of kraut then diced /sliced stewed (juice and all) tomato�s 8. Repeat ending with the tomatoes on top. 9. tent with foil fairly tight just so some steam can get out. 10. Into the center of the oven, for 4.5 to 5 hours (read as) as long as it takes the meat to fall off the length of the bone ( the big end of the bone will and should still have meat hanging to it) that�s it! The juice that the kraut and �maters �makes, as it cooks, could make a old car tire tender and tasty. Boil up (or add some of the same sized taters to the dish during the last hour )�.add a veggie and some bread and u will have some great eats .

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] Chicken curry ��wife made this some 30 years ago when we 1st married ,I said I liked it (must have pressed a button there, as I had to ask to �not have it� after eating it once a week for a year!) simple cheap and good eats - 1. Cook 3 pkgs of top ramen at one time, with the seasoning pkts in 3 cups of water, until the water is gone. 2.finely chop up a regular yellow onion and saut� in 2 tbs of butter adding 1 tsp of curry powder about � way thru. 3. Add 1 can cream of chicken soup,1/2 cup mayo,1/2 cup milk,1tsp lemon juice and 2cups of cooked diced chicken heat thru , stir/mix. 4 place the noodles in a casserole and pour the curry & chicken mix over��u can give �the works� a little stir, serve it up---u don�t need anything else to go with it! There!, more good eats!........this is also easy to save covered in the fridge and reheated in the oven for a quick weekday meal. One of my kids (24yo) asks for this to be served at his birthday every year��.

[img]http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k632/atvalaska/IMG_0052.jpg[/img] [img]http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k632/atvalaska/IMG_0053.jpg[/img] [img]http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k632/atvalaska/IMG_0054.jpg[/img] [img]http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k632/atvalaska/IMG_0056.jpg[/img]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeoman's duty! Rob, you are the man! Thanks for taking the time to do this!

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Yep thanks Rob!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice. Thank you.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good job rob

Quando Omni Moritati
L
LFD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Great Job Thank You for your time and effort. This is a keeper. Giving us a Idea for 24hourcampfire on line cook book ?

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey rob you got a sticky!!! Way cool. I believe it's a food section first!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I did the Snoopy dance when I saw it up. I asked nice and was rewarded!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.