Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I haven't tried this powder yet. I have been a user of IMR 4831 and like it alot except for the fact that I have to trickle each and every powder charge. The Hodgdon 4831sc is close in burn rate, and it is less temperature sensitive. plus short cut. How much better is it when it comes to metering?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How much better is it when it comes to metering?

It's a bit better but if you're the type that has to have each charge to within 1/10 th of a grain, you'll still be trickling.

It's not at all like ball powder or Varget....A good powder measure will throw H-4831 SC +/- 3/10 ths of a grain....or there abouts.....

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Yes I am that type. A ball powder would be ideal, but the challenge is finding one with the right burn rate that isn't terribly temperature sensitive. MagPro is the right burn rate, but I don't know where to find how temperature sensitive it is.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Check the Ramshot line. Hunter is of similar burn rate to H4831 and is reportedly very temp insensitive.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think the short cuts meter very well, but I'm not horribly picky about a 1/10th grain.

The Ramshot line is the best of all worlds IMO. If your rifle likes any of those, you'll be happy.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by deflave
I think the short cuts meter very well, but I'm not horribly picky about a 1/10th grain.

The Ramshot line is the best of all worlds IMO. If your rifle likes any of those, you'll be happy.

Travis
+1

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SodFarmer
I haven't tried this powder yet. I have been a user of IMR 4831 and like it alot except for the fact that I have to trickle each and every powder charge. The Hodgdon 4831sc is close in burn rate, and it is less temperature sensitive. plus short cut. How much better is it when it comes to metering?

Stick powders don't meter with a hoot--I have a Harrelson (sp?), a Hornady, and a RCBS--none of them are satifactory even with Hodgdon's shortcut powder.

But with the Lee scoops, a trickler, and a balance beam scale, I've become pretty quick at charging cases with extruded powder--not too far behind a electronic powder measure ( I know no one will believe that, but I am...... whistle )

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I do believe that a lot of handloaders who object to metering that's not accurate within 1/10th of a grain would be amazed if they meter-loaded some rounds with H4831SC and shot them at a target.

Plus or minus 2-3 tenths of a grain doesn't matter in big game rounds, especially with a temp-resistant powder.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Plus or minus 2-3 tenths of a grain doesn't matter in big game rounds, especially with a temp-resistant powder.

Unless you are shooting "way out past Ft Mudge" as Jeff Cooper used to say. I'll bet you have some detailed records of chrono data on reams of loads, some measured, some not. The measured to the tenth loads will most often have a lower ES. You're right, it matters not a whitt at a 100, or 300, but way out there....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Unless you are shooting "way out past Ft Mudge" as Jeff Cooper used to say. I'll bet you have some detailed records of chrono data on reams of loads, some measured, some not. The measured to the tenth loads will most often have a lower ES. You're right, it matters not a whitt at a 100, or 300, but way out there....

But if you're a real hunter there are very few times than kind of shooting is called for. 99.9% of the time you can get a lot closer unless you have buck fever.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 02/02/12.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There goes another good thread into the [bleep].

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I do believe that a lot of handloaders who object to metering that's not accurate within 1/10th of a grain would be amazed if they meter-loaded some rounds with H4831SC and shot them at a target.

Point/Counterpoint

I have a 300 WSM which shoots 2" groups @ 100 yds with 68.4 gr W760 measured to the exact charge weight. Bumping the charge to 68.5 gr W760 shoots 1/2" groups.

I have run W760 through my Harrell's Measure & while the average charge may be 68.5, the swing individually can be as much as 1.5 grains.

So, how can the inconsistency of dropped charges magically shoot as accurately as a perfectly measured charge if the rifle exhibits such a lack of tolerance of off-weight charges?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have a 300 WSM which shoots 2" groups @ 100 yds with 68.4 gr W760 measured to the exact charge weight. Bumping the charge to 68.5 gr W760 shoots 1/2" groups.

What does it do bumped to 68.6?

I have run W760 through my Harrell's Measure & while the average charge may be 68.5, the swing individually can be as much as 1.5 grains.

How is it that bad? I don't see that much variation throwing charges of 4064 or 3031.

So, how can the inconsistency of dropped charges magically shoot as accurately as a perfectly measured charge if the rifle exhibits such a lack of tolerance of off-weight charges?

I won't use a load that sensitive, even if I'm weighing every single one. Other factors between shooting sessions could make it go from good to bad.

Last edited by mathman; 02/03/12.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mathman
What does it do bumped to 68.6?

Don't know, haven't tried it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Other factors between shooting sessions could make it go from good to bad.

Hmmmm, that's a point to ponder.

Such as?

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Still won't make a [bleep].

Travis

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Check the Ramshot line. Hunter is of similar burn rate to H4831 and is reportedly very temp insensitive.

Thanks!!!! I've never tried any of the Ramshot powders, but I will now.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S

While you guys are almost certainly right about the real world differences when it comes to real world hunting applications, the small differences do make a difference to those who pay attention to such things. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have gone to the trouble of getting a hunting rifle and load that will consistently and comfortably shoot groups from 1/4 to 1/2 moa. It wasn't easy nor inexpensive. I am not about to use loads that will not perform to those standards. Call it pride, nit picking, being anal, or not having enough to do - - - - what ever. In the end, do what ever you want - - - - you are the only one you need to please. I choose to do things to the extreme (for some) when it comes to hand loading. I find it rewarding and safer to pay attention to the little things.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Back to H-4831sc. In 25-06, 270, and 7mm mag, I do not think you will find a better powder. I do measure mine down to tenths. But I have a dispenser and I still trickle by hand so all are very uniform. I might be anal.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Reloder28,

You got lucky, or the temperature changed, or the air conditions chasnged enough to affect parallax.

There isn't any way 1/10th of grain makes that much difference in a .300 WSM--and 760 is definitely not temp-resistant. Ihave seen accuracy change considerably with exactly the same 760 load at temperatures only 20 degrees apart.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.