Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
So as not to derail the other thread any further....

I wonder if these dummies at The World Conference of Drowning Prevention know anything about it?

http://www.worldconferenceondrownin...DP2011_A&O_McElroy_p305_Abstract.pdf

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Bill. My bad for dragging that out on the other thread. Good info there, and anyone who paid attention in physics class would get it. Sometimes confusing the naysayers with facts, don't seem to work. Either in person, or on the innernet.

Will likely be working in your country this summer, and would be happy to buy you a brewskie.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know how many times I lost footing while fly fishing and when for a ride down steam in waders, and guess what I am still here. You put a belt around your middle. And guess what you get a little wet but you say pretty dry and you float. Of course with a fly Vest stuffed with stuff 90 % you don't use may make you a little top heavy and holding on to that fly rod and reel makes things a little interesting. All and all I was never any worst for wear except one day in Oct 1987, I slipped and got wet on my right side. No problem, it was 55 deg a had just hooked and landed the biggest hook jaw bitterroot brown trout on this stream I ever caught just about 20 inches. So I walked back a mile or so to my car and drove home, took a hot bath and thought nothing more about it, I came down with pneumonia and it dam near killed me. Had nothing to do with drowning in waders. The stream is called Merritt Brook and nice woodland stream in North Eastern CT. TU did a lot of work on it back then and we had great fishing for a few years then some wormers came along or I should say one guy and in three weeks he took out what it took us 10 years to build. Such is life. Hopper time was a blast down there. Most day you would never see another soul.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Any time you are around, would be good to catch up....

Time it right and we'll go catch some kings!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gemsel,
Try doing your stunt in hip waders. That will give you a pucker factor like you have never had before. I nearly downed in hip waders 45 years ago and believe me, falling in with chest waders and a belt is not even in the same category. If you don't believe me, put on some hip waders and jump off a dock and see how well you can swim.

Rolly
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds good. Will be in contact, when I head down. Been watching our web cams at the mountain top sites like Ratz, Tolstoi, etc....looks like you guys have had a bunch of snow this winter.

Jeff

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The only time I almost drowned was when my drift boat ran into a sweeper in Jan. The tree had just fallen accross the river as I had fished this section many times

Temps were in the 20's . Boat went into the sweeper flipped and I was pulled under the tree in very strong current. I managed to kick my way out from under the submerged tree. All I could think is what a stupid way to die and how pissed off the wife would be if I died in this manner. Not wearing a PFD and no wader belt.Waders filled up with water and hypothermia starting to set in. Finally made it to shore and pulled myself up on bank. Dumbass for not
wearing a PFD and wader belt.

Have been swept off my feet fishing the surf in waders and the waders helped me stay afloat if wearing a wader belt.When weather is warm I practice swimming and staying afloat in my waders. I now always wear a PFD when I wade.

In the military took open water survival training and had to stay a float for an hour using clothes as flotation.

Obviously the big killer is hypothermia. I dive so might consider wearing a shortie dry suit when boating up in AK.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was a young kid my dad and I were fishing in Central Or. An old guy nearby fell in with chest waders and was near drowning when my dad pulled him out. My dad got pretty wet too, lots of water in his waders.

We saw that old guy a few times on the same river in the summer for years afterwards. Plus they used to send my folks Christmas cards too.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't know what the issue with getting wet in waders is vs hypo..... seems if you didn't have waders on you'd be just as wet.....

I dont' swim. I wear waders when running the airboat( no level floatation) but I wear a PFD and also keep them loose and no suspenders on etc... so I can get them off if needed.

Being that once you are in water you are somewhat bouyant, I dont really feel that waders is as big an issue as folks make them out to be.

Having taken water on with waders on before also, I"m always glad I have them as teh waders will allow the water to at least have a shot of warming to body temp, vs no other insulation, IE wet pants exposed to water and wind....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

A friend of mine when he was 8yrs old watched his dad drown because of waders. While trout fishing a fast moving mountain stream he lost his footing. He did what he should've by staying on his back and keeping his feet pointed down stream until he would reach calmer water. The stream bed consisted of flat layers of rock. He went feet first under one of these layers,and of course underwater,that dead ended as most due. Of course the waders added who knows how much weight thus keeping him from even having a chance of getting out.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hope I never have to test it, but there is a reason I'm not in waders without PFD on...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
After finally reading the link... who'da thunk it, like i actually figured, water is neutral... in that instance anyway...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've found waders a mild hinderance, but have no trouble at all treading water or swimming. Might take me 400 yrds or so to make the bank. I had to go in once in a coastal Oregon stream when a buddy did not close the clip for my drift boat and shoved it out from landing. Also had to swim about 80 yds across the Deschutes when a buddy let a raft get away while I was fishing. I do not do high risk wading though when the water is less than 40 degrees F. I think in most instances panic or a desire to not let some piece of equipment go is the real killer. In a true emergency, even my finest rods would become wading staffs.

It might of helped that I did all the Navy mandated aircraft escape and survival training as a youngster. Used to make a few extra bucks taking the test for crew that were less than stellar swimers. One simply answered to the correct name when they were taking roll.

I have had two or three scares where I've had a foot get wedged in a crevice while wading. In two of those instances, I had to unlace the boot to extract my foot. I got wet, but did not have to fully submerge in those instances. Another option would have been to simply stand there and wave down a floater or jet sled for help. Mother nature can indeed build some ingenious traps.

The modern neoprene waders are actually pretty good flotation devices. I can wade much deeper now in fast water with the newer fabric systems.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/06/12.

1Minute
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When I was a conservation officer, one of the items on the training agenda was water survival while wearing waders and/or hip boots, both with and without a PFD. Fortunately, the only time I had to swim while wearing either was in a nice warm pool during this training.

If you raise your knees while floating on your back, or raise your feet while floating on your stomach, the waders will trap enough air to actually help you stay afloat, or at least not be a hindrance to flotation.

If the waders fill with water, you can still tread water and float, as they become neutrally bouyant. Swimming becomes more difficult, slower and more tiring, but is definitely possible. Climbing out of the water with waders full is significantly more difficult due to the weight of the water. As stated above, a belt worn outside the waders will help to retain air.

Rough water would make it less fun...and panic could be fatal, but if you keep your head, you have a good chance to survive. Wearing a PFD makes a big difference, of course.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 02/06/12.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Jeff- Do I recall you mentioning you cannot swim? Or am I thinking of someone else.

Being able to swim and not being afraid of water counts for much, IMO.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Most people freak the heck out when they think they are going to drown. It's one of the worst feelings if a person is not used to it. I've had water inside waders before, and it feels different. I could see how unknowing people would panic and kill themselves by freaking out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, I had both legs fill up one time and the weight was staggering, literally.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Their isn't any added "weight", which is the point of this thread. It just feels different, and people panic and die because they think they are getting pulled under.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Theoretic as that may be, I can move about much easier without water inside than I could when it overflowed the top. In the case that happened to me when I was young and unaware, they filled and toppled me over and I'll tell you, trying to right myself was quite the task. I was very lucky to not drown. A friend of mine who worked with ADF&G did drown one year (1985 or 1986) in the same river, when he fell over and couldn't right himself. Theoretically there isn't any additional "weight" per se, but try it sometime and see just how difficult it is to regain your footing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think we're discussing apples and oranges here. Swamping a skiff in the saltwater in SE Alaska with waders on, and falling into a fast moving river with waders on are two different animals.

If you fall into the ocean you're not trying to stand up, you're trying to float. if you fall into a river you're trying to stand up and get to shore.

Deal with it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
110 members (10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 12 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.