Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok i'm in the market for a new rifle. The only 2 bolt action rifles i've owned are the Rem.78 and a Rem. 700.So i guess for lack of a better description "i'm a remington guy". Now i've shouldered both rifles both are equally comfortable.

I've read quite a bit of possitive pubicity on the model 70.My question is how many of you guys feel it's better than the than the 700 or vise-a-versa....Why do you think on is better than the other?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Neither is better than the other. You may as well throw in Tikka, Ruger, Savage, Thompson Center, Browning, Sako, Weatherby, Howa, etc. and ask the same question.

It's a Chevy/Ford question and you're the only one that can answer your question.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
+1 on the winchester model 70. Old, new and inbetween...... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Bay_Dog
Neither is better than the other. You may as well throw in Tikka, Ruger, Savage, Thompson Center, Browning, Sako, Weatherby, Howa, etc. and ask the same question.

It's a Chevy/Ford question and you're the only one that can answer your question.
Bay Dog speaks truth, you will have any number of opinions from guy's who swear by a certain rifle but the truth is in the rifle market today they all have to be pretty darn good or they won't be around very long, either of the rifle's you mentioned are top notch, go handle, fondle and shoulder a few and pick the one that you like best............Good luck............Hb

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remington currently is having some QC issues, and I don't really see that turning around anytime soon. That kind of pains me, as I'm a pretty big Remington guy. If I were rolling the dice on something new right now, I'd go M70 (and will, the .257 Roberts Featherweight and .264 WM Sporter are calling my name...)

Vanguards are worth a look too... but the new Howa stocks are an abomination.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bay_Dog

The reason i didn't ask about tikka,ruger,savage,T/C, browning weatherby or howa is because i'm not interested in any of those......but thanks for repling anyway.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Grave- i have 15+ rem 700, i have one model 70 . it is a super grade . it is a better gun than the rem 700s. it only cost twice as much. if you pay 500 you will get a 500 gun.

Last edited by roninflag; 02/05/12.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by roninflag
Grave- i have 15+ rem 700, i have one model 70 . it is a super grade . it is a better gun than the rem 700s. it only cost twice as much. if you pay 500 you will get a 500 gun.

Actually the Rem.CDL cost about $150 more than the Win. model 70 featherwieght

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gravestone
Originally Posted by roninflag

Actually the Rem.CDL cost about $150 more than the Win. model 70 featherwieght

If that's the case then buy the Winchester model 70 and thank us later....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They will both usually shoot better than I can, but to try to answer your question; look closely at fit and finish, type of material used, milled parts or stamped. Then answer which one fits you the best. Your answers may not be the same as mine, so in final analysis, you have to choose.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm leaning that way BSA.Just wanted a bit of input,see what others thought. I'm hearing Rem. is having some QC issues.Both of mine were fine though.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Chevy vs Ford.

I have a pre 64 Model 70 and an 83 Rem 700. I like them both.

Although the 700 is for sale, and i'd never sell the 70.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok, that doesn't answer your original question; I think the current Winchester is head-and-shoulders ahead of the current Remington.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Input is a good thing. A lot of great guys here that have vast experience. If it were an older remington 700 mountain rifle, I may be inclined to go the other way but like you've been told the newer remingtons have some QC issues. Good luck with making the right decision.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lastround
Ok, that doesn't answer your original question; I think the current Winchester is head-and-shoulders ahead of the current Remington.

I'm thinking you're right.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Model 70 to me... I just like the feel of them a little better in general.. however I own as many Remingtons as I do Model 70s...and Rugers for that matter...

if they are both side by side and exactly the same configuration.. sporter barrel, sporter stock, etc I'd go Win every time..

but my Rems are ADLs, or their VLS models and Win doesn't really have an equivalent package...

I own several featherweights, but for preference I think the Rem mountain rifle is a sweeter package than the featherweight...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm only going on gun club gossip, but there doesn't seem to be the same problems with the higher-end Remington M700 that some are reporting with the cheaper rifles. Out of the box, i think i would expect similar performance (i haven't any recent experience with the new FNs though). Remington is the better option if you want to "accurise", or want to build a really lightweight rifle. I would rather the Winchester for reliability, which is just down to the extractor design.

The Remington extractor experiences quite a bit of stress during normal operation (it simply has to do a bit of "springing" during normal operation and is relatively small so experiences a bit of stress), and so are more likely to fail. I have seen a few go, mostly on rifles that have done thousands of rounds (target rifles - and most rifles never do the amount of work or are exposed to the pressures of a range rifle). But some haven't done that much work - and if there is a little flaw in that extractor it may fail at an inconvenient time for you. For me this is the actual practical advantage of the big mauser-claw on the M70 - it is simply less prone to failure as it experiences very little stress during operation.

It is a really nit-picky thing and probably of zero significance to the vast majority of folks, but i'd suggest from a practical perspective this and the potential for a lighter weight rilfe in the M700 are about as big a difference as you will find in practice.

There just ain't much in it.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My bad, but I didn't see the OP mention new guns.

If we're talking new. I'd take the Win 70.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I own and like both, but imo, the new FN Model 70s are better than any current Rem 700.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i have some of each, and i prefer the 700s.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 8 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.