Hop To
F
foogle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Which to buy for some shooting and collector value in 45 colt

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For the best investment, a second generation Colt is the way to go. A first is also a great investment, but they are a bit pricey in any condition that you would want to shoot.

I prefer 7 1/2 inch barrels, but the 4 3/4 inch is probably the most desirable, with the 5 1/2 inch the least desirable.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Why would the 3rd Generation not be a good investment?

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Take longer to appreciate is all.

First Gens will bring from $10,000 & up depending on caliber & barrel length.

2nd Gen will bring from $900.00 & up depending on caliber & barrel length.

3rd Gen seem to top out about $1,800.00 unless engraved but with time will eventually be a good investment.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
One of my Cowboy Action Shooting buds picked up a 2nd Gen. SAA in .38 Spec. for his wife. He got it right several years ago. Needless to say, he did good... smile

1st Gen guns are already quite expensive, although still appreciating. With any used gun, condition is everything.

3rd Gen SAA's are very nice, especially later ones with the cylinder bushing. I like those better than the early 3rd Gen. guns.

If one is just wanting to collect guns that are appreciating, I think 50's large frame S&W's are interesting, especially 5 screw pre-27's and such. They can often be found for reasonable prices, as they aren't as hot as Colts, except for the Registured Magnums.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by foogle
Which to buy for some shooting and collector value in 45 colt
I have to respectfully disagree with my friend Shrapnel. I would go with a 1st generation all the way. This is leaning heavily on the "investment" side. If you are more into the shooting side, go with a 3rd.

If you go with a 1st, get one of the latter ones in the highest condition you can afford, assuming a decent price. Condition simply cannot be replaced. You can refinish, but the collector's value is generally ruined, even with a Turnbull or real Colt refinish. The latter 1st gens will have good, strong steel in them for limited shooting with smokeless loads. To keep it in top condition, I would shoot only conventional or cowboy level loads in it or the same level of good quality reloads. No black.

I just can't warm up to the 2nd's. They are great guns, but people want a lot more than a 3rd and many times, even more than 1st gens.

If you're primarily interested in shooting it, just get a 3rd. If you buy it right, it should hold its own money-wise, even if not appreciating that much.

Don't get a real old SAA and expect to shoot it a lot and maintain its condition.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bamagun01
Why would the 3rd Generation not be a good investment?

The trouble with the 3rd's is some that were fairly low-quality giving the rest a bad name. Current SAA's are considered 3rd's and from all I've seen and heard, are fine weapons. Plus they have been made in pretty large quantities.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agree with Cole. Some at one time referred to the late 3rd Gen. guns with cylinder bushings as 4th Gen. The early 3rd Gen guns, IMHO, weren't as good as the "4th Gen" or current 3rd Gen guns.

For a shooter, current production should satisfy most anyone. They aren't cheap, but should hold their value fairly well, better than most guns bought new.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're going to shoot it, buy a used 3rd generation. That first shot out of a new one is going to cost someone $300-500. Might as well let someone else take on that first trigger pull.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What is considered "early" 3rd generation years? What or when did the better 3rd generations start being produced?

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
To me, the early 3rd Gen guns were the one without the cylinder bushing, like current and like the 1st Gen guns. I don't know exactly when that change occurred. Like I posted earlier, some tried to call these 4th Gen, as they are different. That never went over, and they're all considered to be 3rd. Gen.

Maybe someone can comment on when that change occurred. The workmanship and attention to detail seems better, at least to me, on these later guns vs. the early 3rd Gen's. Current SAA's are pretty nice. Buffing prior to case hardening and bluing seems better without dips and waves around the screw holes, etc.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here is a set of cowboy action, late 3rd Gen Colts in .38 Spec. Ivory by Nutmeg Sports. They were bought new by a CAS pard in Dallas, engraved by a retired Weatherby master engraver living in TX. I bought them used, then sent them to Nutmeg for the dead elephant treatment and deep dish medallions.

These guns have cylinder bushings and shoot as good as they look. The case colors on the later 3rd Gen guns look better to me than the earlier 3rd Gens, which seem to have more of a grey appearance with less color.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beautiful, tasteful guns.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Beautiful, tasteful guns.

+1!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 257wby
If you're going to shoot it, buy a used 3rd generation. That first shot out of a new one is going to cost someone $300-500. Might as well let someone else take on that first trigger pull.

Like signing on the dotted line for a new car. As soon as you sign the contract, and its yours and the finance company's, the resale value is immediately 5% less than what you purchased it for. Dang New-In-The-Box guns, guns that have never been handled by you...at ALL...would be hard to sell for what you paid unless you got a heck of a deal.

I would exempt 1st gen Colt SAA's from that rule; I think if you care for it and shoot it sparingly, in 5 years you could still recover your money plus some, provided you didn't pay too much to begin with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
The early 3rd Gen guns, IMHO, weren't as good as the "4th Gen" or current 3rd Gen guns.

I would certainly agree with that. Not so long very few wanted 3rd generation Colts. I'd still much rather have a USFA or Ruger as a shooter but nothing beats the historical or intrinsic value of a first generation Colt. Even those that were rode hard and used well have appreciated a lot of the last several years.

Dave

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
According to Don Wilkerson's book "The Post War Single Action Army 1976-1986" the seperateable cylinder bushing was dropped in favor to the press fitted cylinder bushing because of lower production costs. But also according to him the seperate cylinder bushing wasn't necessary anymore because of better quality of the steel used to produce the cylinders in the 3rd Gen. Colt SAA. In former times it was less expensive to change a cylinder bushing instead of a complete cylinder when due to a steel made of less quality the cylinder was worn out and had a loose fit to the base pin. (Hope I expressed myself correctly - I'm from Germany).
So that is the reason why I won't hesitate to buy an early but not too early 3rd. Gen. Colt SAA.

Interesting for those who would like to buy a Colt SAA is this page:

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/show_inventory.php?catID=13

Elmer Keith
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've dealt with Collectors for years, many deals, but never a Colt. I've always thought they overpriced their SAA's, as well as other guns wearing that brand.

Better places to buy a Colt, unless they happen to have a certain piece you can't live without.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 02/24/12.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
ElmerKeith:

Thank you for posting the link to the Collectors' Firearms web site. Some of the detailed photographs of various pieces are extraordinary!

A
A
Quick-drying materials and extra venting keep you and your baby cool, calm and collected. The waist belt and shoulder straps have extra inches of padding to suit a wider range of babywearers.

ergo baby Australia
ergo baby carrier Australia

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,161 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,749
Posts18,401,306
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.