Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Without the accubrake???? Not me. I have done it and have shot some amazing groups but prefer the brake on it.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I also believe the Japan guns are better than the current US made models. If you need a LH synthetic stock for one let me know. I have one that I no longer need.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Fotis,
I have got a Crown Custom in .340 from the 80's and even after owning 2 Rigby's, this is a rifle I cannot shoot or take into the bush. My first and possibly last queen. The quality, tree trunk used, hand work and metal work is museum quality. Far too stunning to soil on a rancid target or filthy animal in some hot or dusty climate.

I know how Elgin Gates used to feel now. Oh...he didn't?
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by Wbypoor
Originally Posted by safariman
Warning, though, the 378 is a vicious kicker. Some feel worse than the big 45's due to the recoil speed.

In my experience the 378's so called vicious recoil is and continues to be greatly exaggerated. Presently I have 7 Mark V rifles chambered in 378 Weatherby from all vintages: German, Jap and USA in various models and have shot them exstensively over the past 30 years or so and have yet to find a single man or woman who has fired any of the 378s at the range along side a 460 to believe the 378 generated more recoil. Not one, though I have read about it many many times over the years.

Good Luck with that new 378!

I can name 2 blokes that have done it. Mike 378 and myself, though Mike has more .378 experience than I have. It is one of the very few Weatherby chamberings I have not owned.

AGW, good to hear from you. I know of Mike378 as well. Must just be shooters I've met I guess. Tried this experiment with my 72 year old, 150 pound, father yesterday at the range. Handed him my 378 Safari without the break and he fired 2 rounds thru it, then handed him my unbreaked 460 Euromark. One shot was enough. Even with the 460's increased weight it is a handful without the Accubrake. Now my father's passion is Ruger's #1 rifles and he routinly shoots the 458 Lott, 416 Remington and Rigbys...all of which by the way recoil for me much more than any 378 I've ever handeled...I'm just not built right for those #1's.

Anyway, happy shooting...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in one well preserved piece, but rather to skid across the line sideways, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil and shouting "GERONIMO" at the top of your lungs!!!!"
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by TXpitdog
First off, thanks to those that responded to my brass question. I am still deciding on whether to sacrifice a few toys to jump into the expensive world of Weatherby, but I did want to get everyone's opinions on a rifle currently available.

It is a new, never been fired late 80's made in Japan Lazermark in 378Wby. It does have the removable brake. It is the same price as a new current 378Wby Deluxe Mark V from Weatherby website.

This rifle, if/when I get it, will only ever be a range toy and will be babied it's entire life, so I really won't take into account any advantages one has over the other for safari hunting, etc.

So, I guess my question is whether a new made in Japan Lazermark is more rare, desirable, "better", accurate, etc. than a new production USA Deluxe?

Still learning about these Wby's, and for 2+ grand, I don't want to jump into something just cuz it's pretty, but I don't want to miss out on a unique opportunity either.

Thanks!

Which rifle did you decide upon?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in one well preserved piece, but rather to skid across the line sideways, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil and shouting "GERONIMO" at the top of your lungs!!!!"
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I researched and researched, and after a LOT of hemming and hawing, I decided I am just not ready for this class of rifle. Especially with the cost of ammo and brass. No doubt I'll be able to afford one one day, so I just let the thought go.

Then I saw it again. Man, it would be awesome to have something like that one day, but I just went through an almost uncontrolled buying and trading frenzy. Need to just be happy with what I have, shoot my new ones, etc.

Then I saw it again. Like the emperor with no clothes, I sought out the "objective" opinion of people who would tell me what I want to hear and went to Weatherby Nation for a final few questions.

Predictably, a number of toys were sold, and the Lazermark is now enroute!

...on earth as it is in Texas.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Congrats on the new rifle, hope its an excellent shooter for you, the power of a new rifle purchase is undeniable, i learned that moons ago laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
We're going to need some pictures of the new addition!

S
S
The Weatherby website say they 378 shooting a 270 grian bullet produces 71.1 ft. lbs. of recoil energy without an accubrake and 33.4 ft. lbs. of recoil energy with the brake. This reduces felt recoil to around 300 Weatherby Magnum levels. I got this info from the Watherby website. Just Google "Weatherby Accubrake" for more info.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
If that's the case, then I can't wait to shoot it. 33lbs recoil is in the neighborhood of my Guide Gun with stout loads.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations.

I have owned 4 Weatherby's, nothing larger than a .300 WBY.

The Japanese WBY's were/are fantastic.

My two favorite shotguns, a SKB 20-gauge, and a WBY Athena Grade III made by SKB for Weatherby.

I drive a Toyota Tacoma.(Built in TN)

Like it or not, the Japanese know what quality means.

I was in Japan a year ago, and they have a pride in quality that is rivalled by none.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 50 invisible), 3,346 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.