Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
kunas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Headin to CO this fall I'm looking for new boots I was sold on danners but I'm not reading very good reviews on the new pronghorns I am reading good things about setters any real world opinions would be great most of my hunting will be walking never been out west so I don't know whwt to exspect thanks Ron

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't know about those but for rifle seasons I typically run Schnees with good luck. For early archery, I may use goretex trail runners or at most light hikers. Which season are you doing?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kunas
Headin to CO this fall I'm looking for new boots I was sold on danners but I'm not reading very good reviews on the new pronghorns

Cause they're made in China now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 8 year old pair of irish setter elk trakers and I like them better in the mountains than danners

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have not had any recent experience with the danners since i left the military but do use some Irish Setters Elk trackers. They have lasted me 5+ years without a problem. But i do not know if they still make that model of boot anymore.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've got a couple different Irish Setter boots and love them. Very solid shank and sole. Just what I want in rough country.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I vote for Setters. I have done a few months in the mountains. Only I found better than Setters in Russell Moccasin HCH (expensive).

Naught's had, alls spent
When desire is got without content
K
kunas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I'm going out during 2nd rifle season I'm thinking that temps shouldn't b really cold then thanks ron

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This past year in 2nd season I took a pair of the old style Pronghorns and a cheap set of Wolverines that I bought to wear around the farm when it was muddy/snowing. Ended up wearing the Wolverines more than the Danners, nowhere near as well built but they were a lot more comfortable.

Good luck.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Danners for me, but just pick a boot that feels good to you...that's all that matters.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
In decent ground I wear a pair of ASOLO with Gortex lining, in really tough and steep I use Scarpa or La Sportiva mountain boots.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got some Danner Pronghorns (1st gen) w/ 400 grams thinsulate and they're AWESOME. A buddy bought some Irish Setters (don't remember the model) and they SUCKED... fell apart quickly.

I like those that 338rcm cited above... if I were to upgrade I'd do those or the Meindels made for Cabelas.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like the USA made Danners for hunting "out West" but my only pair of Irish Setters are an upland boot.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Headin to CO this fall I'm looking for new boots I was sold on danners but I'm not reading very good reviews on the new pronghorns I am reading good things about setters any real world opinions would be great most of my hunting will be walking never been out west so I don't know whwt to exspect thanks Ron

Kind of depends on what you're going to be hunting in Colorado. Danner has some good boots for extreme hunting conditions and Merrell makes very good hunting boots and, Kenetrek boots are some of the best. Personally, I wear Wolverine boots when doing extreme hunting in the contiguous states.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
338RCM, That just cost me a few bucks. The made in USA pushed me over and a pair of 14s are heading my way now. Thanks

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I'd suggest most of your hunting should be glassing. I'd suggest that as always there are some Irish Setters better than some Danner and some Danner better than some Irish Setters. I'd say it really doesn't matter for walking and it may matter for freighting in rough terrain. My suggestion is buy what appeals to you and go hunting then either buy another pair because you liked the first pair or buy a different boot because you didn't.

I'd say I use a pair of Irish Setters more than my Danners for woods loafing - but I've got two pair of Danner made in America that I might choose for rougher use where I may not know where I'm sleeping that night and for freighting heavy loads either packing in or out with the traditional Goodyear welt stitched down and a couple pair of imported tennis shoe Danners I bought on sale that are fine but wouldn't stand up and can't be refurbished.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 30338
338RCM, That just cost me a few bucks. The made in USA pushed me over and a pair of 14s are heading my way now. Thanks

Trying to cinvince my wife I need to get a pair of these too. She says I have more hunting boots than she has dress shoes.

LOL!!!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've used Danners in the mountains before, and didn't care for the lack of support in the particular model I had. I also use my hunting boots while backpacking, and those Danners were good boots, but not backpacking boots. I don't know the model I used, and I looked at their website and they don't make it any more. It was not like a backpacking boot, more like an upland boot.

I have Lowa Rangers right now, but they were pricey. They are also very stiff, so good in the support dept, but not very cushy. However, I have yet to have a boot that resulted in happy feet after hiking 10 or 15 miles.

I've heard good reports about Hanwag and Meindl also.

For cold weather, Schnee's pack boots are the best I have used.

I'm also active duty and wear a pair of Danners every day. For that use the Danners have been great.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Have not seen a Irish setter mountain boot in a very long time. Where are they made?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

363 members (160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 33 invisible), 1,609 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,226
Posts18,447,682
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.