Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by PaleRider
Not sure if Remington still does it or not, but they used to have you send in your rifle and they wanted you to pay them to change it.
HECK OF A DEAL ! grin

Remington did the recall on the 660 I have. The gent discovered the rifle fired when the bolt closed (dry fired) and insisted on having it fixed before I bought it. I told him to contact Remington because there was a recall years ago. Remington sent him a link to print shipping labels and info for free shipping to a repair facility. Remington installed a new trigger without the bolt lock. The turn around was quite fast. I installed a new safety made by NULA that automatically locks the bolt with the safety on but allows you to unlock the bolt with the safty on.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You know you can never have enough lightweight rifles Bob crazy grin .

In all fairness to the Montana, one of the ones I worked with was a good shooter as it came from the factory.
Another became a very good shooter with some barrel channel tweeking, bedding, etc.
The other two guys just couldn't take time to fix anything, and are still running around wounding or missing what they are shooting at as far as I know frown .
Seems to me you shouldn't have to work on so many for what Kimber charges for them blush frown .
From what I understand Kimber is doing better quality control these days, so consistancy should be better.
I personally prefer my Sako Finnlight in stainless/synthetic,
and it was a real shooter out of the box - But was even more money shocked grin .

By the way, it's a 270 W,
Ted

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Originally Posted by PaleRider
Not sure if Remington still does it or not, but they used to have you send in your rifle and they wanted you to pay them to change it.
HECK OF A DEAL ! grin

Remington did the recall on the 660 I have. The gent discovered the rifle fired when the bolt closed (dry fired) and insisted on having it fixed before I bought it. I told him to contact Remington because there was a recall years ago. Remington sent him a link to print shipping labels and info for free shipping to a repair facility. Remington installed a new trigger without the bolt lock. The turn around was quite fast. I installed a new safety made by NULA that automatically locks the bolt with the safety on but allows you to unlock the bolt with the safty on.

Years ago when they first had the recall going on they wanted you to send the rifle, along with $20.00 for their trouble to change the safety where it wouldn't lock the bolt frown .
Later on they started supplying shipping labels, etc. smile.

FYI - All that has to be changed or worked on is the lever you push.
It has a lip on it that won't allow the bolt handle to come up when pulled back on safe position.

I've heard stories of lots of them going off when you close the bolt, but the only ones I've seen personally with that problem are ones that someone who didn't know what they were doing had been making trigger adjustments on -Generally the sear adjustment eek .

Best,
Ted

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Bob thanks for the idea of carrying an extra extractor, there is always room to learn. I will start doing the same they could save the day on deep wilderness hunts, most likely will never use but it pays to be prepared. On the subject of bolt handles. I was pig hunting with a friend in mid october 2003, 8am, 70 degrees a group of pigs went by I shot a large boar I lift the bolt handle on my Sako AV using factory 7mm rem mag. fail safe 160 grain ammo and tried to pull back to no avail the bolt would not budge. I quickly put the butt stock on the ground, pointed the rifle away from me and kicked the bolt handle hard twice with my right foot before the bolt released extracting the case. Luckily I was not charged. I give credit to Sako the bolt handle did not brake and the extractor held up. Even if the rifle was a Mauser or Win. CRF with a claw extractor if the bolt handle brakes then the extractor is useless no matter the type. That's why some custom action builders will build a bolt handle that is integral with the bolt , granted not cheap. But a quality rifle should be built correctly before it ever leaves the factory if in dought a good gunsmith can rectify the problem with proper welding. A rifle is only good as its week part you never can predict when murphy will strike. The irony is I carried the same rifle six weeks earlier on an Alaskan moose float hunt on the penninsulla in the company of large brown bears. I've shot a few black bears in Kalifornia the largest was 7ft 4" nose to tail and these Ak. bears made him look like a cub, they have my full respect and when you're parting tulies with the muzzle you better have full confidence in your rifle. Thank god I didn't have any problems. It made me revamp my equipment.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,308
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.