Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Often one can find an assortment of listings on eBay (or similar source) for lead scrap.

Who has purchased lead (for bullet making) this way?

I realize one has to be very careful finding worthwhile quantities of leadin the right mixtures and-or pureties, But have you gotten any static or trouble from the infamous U.S. Mail services?

What kinds of experiences does anyone want to share?

THANKS! smile

BP-B2

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I've bought about 135 pounds of monotype from a guy, it came in two fixed rate boxes, no problems at all since he reinforced the boxes. The postal carrier asked me to help get them out of the truck, though.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ha ha. Yes, I did a trade with a guy in California who paid me with 50 pounds of wheel weight ingots in a $10 flat rate box. The wee lady mail carrier was not happy. "If it fits, it ships."

Buying ww's in ingot form saves the hassle of melting "raw" ones but is more expensive. Plus one doesn't know for certain that ww's is what you're getting. (Checking the mystery alloy with a brinnell hardness tester will at least tell you if it's in the proper hardness range for ww's which 8 out of 10 times is close enough.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Very good person to get it from.

The Captian

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've sold, literally, 2 tons, of lead and shipped it through the mail. So, no I've had no real issues.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've probably sold just as much as blammer, if not, darned close! Zero problems, properly packed and taped of course.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've bought recycled range lead a time or two, also render wheelweights...
The only problem I've had with the US mail services is our mail lady ain't big enough to handle those 50-70 lb boxes so once they get her loaded up and headed this direction she calls and I meet her at the mailbox so I can unload them for her.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
J
J
I dunno, paying for shipment of lead always seemed counter to my goal of shooting as cheaply as possible. The exception is clean tin for alloying.

I go to local metal salvage shops, tire emporiums, and plumbers for old lead shower pans and roof flue collars. The salvage shops almost never fail to have drumfulls of wws and sometimes lino to pick through. I often find lots of huge ones that must have come off of 18-wheelers. These are really sweet as there's way less clips to mess with.

Even better is when I accumulate a bucket of range-salvage brass and stuff that's reached it's reloading limit. I come away with several lbs of lead for every 1 of brass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always wonder the cost of shipping vs cost of gas...
Especially if you have to drive 40 miles one way to get to a town that might have some scrap lead ,, but most likely won't have enough to bother with,, next stop 60 miles further down range 200 miles roundtrip.... I'll gladly pay the 13$ USPS shipping.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well Ranch not everyone lives in the middle of no where. Some folk can drive just down the street & find a tire store instead of just more cattle & barb wire. And while I'm at it when exactly was the last time you went anywhere on anything besides a hay burner & you actually went somewhere there were people? whistle

Last edited by Creeker; 02/29/12.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
eek By Golly lyn I was all the way to Ft. Laramie a week ago last night. Might even make it to Torrington tommorrow, weather and calving cows permittin.... cool

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Calving getting along ok?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yessir, it's cruising along at a pretty good clip. Told the boss the other day that we could brand when she's got all the family here for Easter.... Not real sure she went for it, but it was a suggestion...

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HEE HEE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used to roof for about 12 years. I have quite a collection of very soft plumbing collars,flue flanges, etc.

It's a little dirty with some asphalt tar here and there. But seems to be pure lead.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks everyone who replied/posted on this. (I got busy and forgot about this!).

And "If it fits, it ships!" is a great slogan!! grin wink

I have a source for scrap, altho its not as reliable as it was.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
142 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.