Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Kel Tec 3AT - it has been 100% reliable!!

Bought the Kel Tec 32 and used is for a while, as long as you loaded the semi-rimmed rounds properly in the mag it functioned great. But when the 3AT came out in almost exactly the same size gun I quickly went to the .380. Bigger, more powerful round in the same basic size package with out having to worry about the semi-rim ammo issues. Win Win situation.

That said, if I were buying one today, I'd get the Ruger LCP. It is essentially the same gun as the Kel Tec, but the Ruger is smoother all over.

BP-B2

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Looks like it's a horse race now between the Kel Tec and the LCP. As I mentioned, I have a bunch of other stuff for IWB carry, etc., but I'm looking for a true pocket pistol. I don't put the Kahr 9s or 642s (I have both) in that category.

Questions for LCP and Kel Tec owners:

- Have they been reliable from the get-go, or did they require X number of rounds for break-in?
- Is either finicky about ammo?
- Does either require frequent or special lube to run smooth?
- Any durability issues?

I looked at both briefly today. The Kel Tec doesn't look nearly as ugly as it often appears in photographs. Guess it's just not very photogenic. wink

I did notice it's priced at least $50 cheaper than the lowest-priced LCPs in this area. What's the biggest difference, other than the fact that you can lock the LCP slide back?

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kel-Tec P-32 here -

- Have they been reliable from the get-go, or did they require X number of rounds for break-in?

Mine was fairly reliable from the start. A couple of times in the first 100 rounds or so the slide would not go all the way into battery so I had to push it forward to lock but whatever that was seems to have smoothed out.

Have only fed mine Wincheser white box FMJ and Federal Hydra-shoks. Reliable with both. BTW, some of that white box FMJ has a flat meplat. If one is concerned with penetration a good flat point will penetrate and still carry some shock. I believe some folks mix up hollow points with FMJ in the magazine to get the best of both.

No special lube, I used Break-free on mine. Just keep it clean like you would any normal pistol you might bet your life on. wink Something folks don't think about is that pocket lint collects in odd places like the bottom of a pocket holster,so it's worthwhile to inspect the holster and look in the barrel now and then. Also, don't smother it in oil since that attracts pocket dust bunnies. I mostly pay attention to keeping the slide rails and lockwork clean and a light coat of oil on the moving parts, the outside stays fairly dry.

- Any durability issues?

Not yet, but mine's only had a few hundred rounds through it.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KW - my PF9 has functioned perfectly from day one. Doesn't seem to matter if it's dirty or dry either.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
RE, Kentucky Windage: "What do you like and why?"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A S&W 432 PD 'Airweight' snubnose revolver - 32 H&R Magnum.

A Beretta 3032 'Tomcat' Inox pistol - 32 ACP

I like BOTH because they are not TOO small ... and are fun to shoot and shoot accurately.

IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Between these two I would go Kel-tec, it has no magazine disconnect like the Ruger LCP. I will never own a pistol that is disabled when the mag drops out............Hb

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by T LEE
Always have my 1st gen Kel-Tec P-32 whether I have anything else with me or not, it is my "always gun".

[Linked Image]

...same exact setup....Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The old deputy sheriff that I rode with when I first wore a badge, was called "Big John". Everybody knew him, and he lived up to every stitch of his reputation.

He wasn't more than 6'1", but he was just huge. His fingers were so big, the hairs on them looked like pencil lead. His wrists were so big around that the old metal stretch band on his watch had gaps between the links that you could lay .22 LR rounds in.

Anyway, Big John's pocket gun, which rode in his left front pants pocket, was a nickel plated model 59 Smith and Wesson. He had carried that pistol in there so long that all the nickel was worn off the right side of the gun.

His belt gun was a 4" Colt Python, as he was a believer in the .357 Magnum.

Myself, I don't think I could get one of those big Smith's to ride in my front pants pocket, but he sure did.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger LCP, it actually fits in the bib pocket on overalls.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Here's a link to directions for a Kel Tec P32 magazine mod to prevent rim locks. I did it for my P32.
http://www.ktrange.com/articles/a5/a5.html

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have never experienced rim lock with mine using Winchester Silvertips in the K-T or the Colt 1903.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ruger LCR in .357

[Linked Image]

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by RWL99
Ruger LCR in .357

[Linked Image]
An excellent "pocket rocket" this one actually has a little AZZ in case you do need the thing, I'm not a big fan of the little .380 or .32 cal pistols..............Hb

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
After my search?
A Diamnodback DB 9

9mm 11 oz! 3" barrel
it truly disapears and is always there.
Just bought it but so far so good.
The very first ones had issues ( as do most new guns )
Check out the Diamondback forum.

It is a tiny Glock. The only differnce is it has two transfer bars.
They are NOT rated for +p ammo. They are at the very edge of 9mm capability.
But for discrete carry, can't be beat

It makes the LC9 look huge!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Kahr P-380... About as small as one can get.. And also noting that the .380 round is about totally worthless unless you place one or three in a perp's ear.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DINK
Smith 642.

Dink

There it is

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For a true pocket pistol:
1. Rohrbaugh R9s (9mm, the smallest made. Expensive but worth it. It's what I carry mostly.
2. Seecamp .380. Bites your hand (wear a shooting glove for practice) but for close work will do the job, and is EXTREMELY SMALL.
3. Seecamp .32...same size as the .380 but less abusive to the hand and probably darn near as effective.
4. Had a Keltec PF9 but couldn't keep it running so traded it. You have to truly TRUST your carry piece!

Note: IMHO "pocket pistols" are generally for close in use at 7 yards or less, preferably less. If you plan on a gunfight, get a belt pistol/revolver that you trust in 9mm or larger with a minimum 4" barrel.

Last edited by johnsavage; 02/13/12.

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Smith 442.

It is extremely rare that I carry it as a primary gun though. Usually it serves as a second gun. The minimum I will usually roll with is a G19.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Questions for LCP and Kel Tec owners:

- Any durability issues?

1. I have 2 LCRs. Both have been reliable from the start. NO PROBLEMS...
2. Shot 2 or 3 hundred rounds of PMC & a few Hornady Critical Defense through each, NO PROBLEMS...
3. Breakfree
4. Doesn't get sticky/tight like my revolvers after 50 or 100 rounds

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.