Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just kiddin ya Matt... one won't do anything the other won't..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
easy guys, the .35 whelen reamer is on its way... I should have thrown in my vote for a 9.3x62. Then we could have really waited a long time for a barrel.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hah, Seafire already tried to sell me on that one too. I've been clinging desperately to my 35 Whelen! grin

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You guys need 35 Whelen Dies???

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Someone already sent in a set of Lee dies, thanks though! cool

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
IC B2

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt
Hah, Seafire already tried to sell me on that one too. I've been clinging desperately to my 35 Whelen! grin

Don't worry Matt, a 35 Whelen is coming your way...

me and Matt Y. are just messin with ya..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Work up to 60 grs of Re 15 with those 225 gr TSX's. Should go 2700 fps or so in a 22" barrel. Here's one after two Canadian moose shouders. grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice, thanks for the pic Tony! I'll be working with a throated chamber for longer OAL and a 24" barrel so I might be able to get closer to 2800 FPS. It will be fun to work up the loads and see where I end up. cool

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Seafire, I'm late to the party! Sending PM. Regards, Woody

Take a kid along.
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
PM sent Woody!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2800'ish shouldn't be a problem with the 225's in a 24" barrel. My .35 Whelen AI has little trouble reaching 2900 with a 25" barrel, it's the same capacity for all intents and purpose. I'm not going to tell you that I'm not leaning on it a little to get 2900, but the primer pockets don't get loose after 7 loadings.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's good to know. I'll be starting with some excellent components, including Norma brass. I think I can get there. This Whelen may wind up being a very good long range rifle indeed!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is really no need to lean on it. A lot of folks who've not had one call it a "a good woods cartridge". I don't know about you, but I grew up in the woods, and there where no 300 yard shots available...and the Whelen will do that with ease.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, there are hunting situations in AK that could call for a long shot. Open ground Caribou is one that comes to mind. Then again, Caribou aren't the most difficult animals to stalk from what I've read, so you're not necessarily limited to the long shot there either.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't know what you consider Long Shots at Matt, but I have taken some at 300 plus yards... I practice a lot with trigger time shooting sage rats each summer...and this is with velocity in the 2400 to 2500 fps range MV

and with the scope and reticle in it, 300 to 400 yds should not be a big problem at least with a little practice..

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
To me a long shot is any shot taken at an animal in which terminal ballistics, or killing power drops enough that precision becomes vital for an ethical kill. That distance is obviously different depending on which caliber you are using, and which animal you are shooting at.

putting the bullet in the vitals is obviously always a must, but when killing power drops with range, it is even more so.

That said, when shooting in the army I am capable of putting 75% of my shots in center mass on a human torso target from 600 meters with an M4 wearing a 4X ACOG from a prone supported position. A sniper I'm not, but I am a fair shot.

If I can get a known trajectory at a similar range with the Whelen, I would feel comfortable taking a shot on any big game animal save a brown bear with it out to about 500 meters. Caribou, black bear and moose all have a much bigger vital area than a human, so I feel this would be an acceptable range for me, and the reduction to 500 meters gives me more confidence of putting the bullet where it needs to go, especially since I'll be using more than double the magnification with the Redfield.

Brown bears are much tougher, and I would place my personal limit in range at about 300 meters on them. I would want to make sure the bullet is carrying enough energy to penetrate to the vitals.

Well, if that wasn't a long-winded bunch of disorganized thoughts I don't know what is! crazy

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Long winded?

you haven't read many of my posts have ya?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Seafire
Long winded?

you haven't read many of my posts have ya?

A bit of a novelist are ya John? grin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I made the mistake of calling him once... I'll stick to pm's now! Just messing with you John.

And to make this an official update, we got the reamer in.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hey, My wife is thrilled you guys are keeping me out of her hair!! grin

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
218 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 886 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.