-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the mk V super big game master "ultralight" now days.. in 7 RM and it was a very nice rifle but I had a hell of a time getting it to shoot

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brake or no brake? Weatherby have a factory quarantee, so should send back if not shooting right like on the factory supplied practise target.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Weatherby hasn't sent targets with there guns for years. They do have a 1.5" guarantee with factory ammo. For the price, they better do better than that or they go down the road. I have had better luck with the Vanguards than the mark Vs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah your right, I just remembered I never got a target with my Accumark. Got one with my 378.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have an SBGM in .300 WBY and love the ergonomics of the gun. One of the nicest handling 26" barreled magnums out there to me. In the .300, the muzzle jump is way more obnoxious than the recoil. I think in .257 it would be fine. No experience with an Accumark as the weight always pushed me away.

Lou

IC B2

K
kroo88 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
I really don't understand this obsession with rifle weights. People strap on a 30-50 lbs bag of groceries on their backs to go hunting but gripe about a rifle that weights over 10 lbs????

You see all them skinny Muslim Jihatters packing 8.5 lbs AK 47 add on 2x 30 round clips and your way over 10 lbs. They pack them up mountains across deserts and do some real damage.
Then I see a 200 lbs healthy American who complains about a 7 lbs rifle. Give me a break????

The obsession lies in that my sheep area is walk-in only. As in 21+ miles one way not quite flat ground either. About half-way in you want to abandon pack, rifle, and groceries which are usually freeze-dried

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't you fellas have quads or horses? That would be the day I hike 21 miles to go hunting. I might stalk and walk 21 miles in a 3 day hunt period, but usually use horses or quads to get there or river boats.

K
kroo88 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Ya a friend has horses but there are quite a few rock slides on the way in. You could go around them but it would add another 10 miles.One guy had two Llamas all the way back which I think would be the best way to go. Here's a pic of buddy's moose last year. 2 1/2 days ride in to get into his draw area.
[Linked Image]

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

OK... I will chime in.

In the .257 wthby arena I have the Super Big Game Master as well and it is one of my best shooting rigs I have!!!! Its is 100% factory and it shoots wthby factory loadings extremely well, ..5--.7 groups routinely! Both the 115gr NBT and the 100 TSX.

It has shot well from teh start with no tickering, so maybe i got lucky. Here is another thought since others have mentioned putting one together.

I have another custom .257 wthby (700 action), mcmillina stock that was fluted and metal and trigger changed and wow... .LIGHT and will occasionally shoot one holers! Typically shoots in the .6 range as well when i do my part and WAIT to shoot the 3rd shot. The first two are alway scary how close they are togeher or half in each other. THat rig is LIGHTWEIGHT as well, as well as it under 7 lbs with a leupy 4-14x40 CDS scope.

As for WEIGHT.... THE OLDER I GET, and the more OUT OF SHAPE i get, WEIGHT has EVERYTHING do to my hunts. I can attest that over the last few yr/hunts that when i carry a 6.5-7 lbs rifle on my shoulder i dont feel much , but make it an 8.5 lbs rifle and my shoulder gets worn out. NEVER BELIEVED it or bought into the weight deal til age/conditioning caught up to me a few yrs back.

Good luck .... .257 bees rock!!! I have a .300 bee for the bigger stuff, but for those 300lb horn/antler critters on down, its tough to beat a .257 bee!!! Of course....that MY opinion! wink

K
kroo88 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 257wthbylover

OK... I will chime in.

In the .257 wthby arena I have the Super Big Game Master as well and it is one of my best shooting rigs I have!!!! Its is 100% factory and it shoots wthby factory loadings extremely well, ..5--.7 groups routinely! Both the 115gr NBT and the 100 TSX.

It has shot well from teh start with no tickering, so maybe i got lucky. Here is another thought since others have mentioned putting one together.

I have another custom .257 wthby (700 action), mcmillina stock that was fluted and metal and trigger changed and wow... .LIGHT and will occasionally shoot one holers! Typically shoots in the .6 range as well when i do my part and WAIT to shoot the 3rd shot. The first two are alway scary how close they are togeher or half in each other. THat rig is LIGHTWEIGHT as well, as well as it under 7 lbs with a leupy 4-14x40 CDS scope.

As for WEIGHT.... THE OLDER I GET, and the more OUT OF SHAPE i get, WEIGHT has EVERYTHING do to my hunts. I can attest that over the last few yr/hunts that when i carry a 6.5-7 lbs rifle on my shoulder i dont feel much , but make it an 8.5 lbs rifle and my shoulder gets worn out. NEVER BELIEVED it or bought into the weight deal til age/conditioning caught up to me a few yrs back.

Good luck .... .257 bees rock!!! I have a .300 bee for the bigger stuff, but for those 300lb horn/antler critters on down, its tough to beat a .257 bee!!! Of course....that MY opinion! wink

Could I ask for some specifics on your build? What barrel and contour? Did I misread stock-fluted? Which McMillan? I've also been looking at a CDL. It weighs in at just over 7lbs with original wood stock. Wondering if that could be lightened?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sure....

The build i have is what i would call "semi-custom". It is a Rem 700 SS action and bbl, fluted the bbl, McMillina EDGE stock, timmeny trigger, green-tan bottom metal. Fluted bolt and swiss cheese handle.

Sorry for saying stock was fluted, meant to say BBL was fluted. HA.

As for the CDL.... my buddy just sold his CDL in .257 bee. He shot the spire great, but did not like the Accubonds. I LOVE the looks of the wood/SS CDL. To lighten it, i would say you would start with a different stock for the biggest weight loss, and then its just lil by lil after that.

Have fun... i am sure you will buy or build a winner! Heck, maybe if you have lots of $$$ you can buy mine! wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Hello, my name is OldCenterChurch and I love the Mark V!" laugh

It doesn't really matter why, does it?? smile

I think the Accumark is a nice rifle, but it isn't something I would like to carry the distances mentioned.

Weatherby doesn't make a short action as far as I know, so you might as well grab the ULW in 270 or 30-06.

WAR EAGLE!

K
kroo88 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 257wthbylover
Sure....

The build i have is what i would call "semi-custom". It is a Rem 700 SS action and bbl, fluted the bbl, McMillina EDGE stock, timmeny trigger, green-tan bottom metal. Fluted bolt and swiss cheese handle.

Sorry for saying stock was fluted, meant to say BBL was fluted. HA.

As for the CDL.... my buddy just sold his CDL in .257 bee. He shot the spire great, but did not like the Accubonds. I LOVE the looks of the wood/SS CDL. To lighten it, i would say you would start with a different stock for the biggest weight loss, and then its just lil by lil after that.

Have fun... i am sure you will buy or build a winner! Heck, maybe if you have lots of $$$ you can buy mine! wink

Looks like my 25-06 in the classifieds sold! Just wondering how much more I need?! wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice moose, did you pack the horns out too?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My Mark V UL in 280 Remington is a dream rifle. As others have stated, it's light, accurate & a dream to carry. However, it took me three to find one that would shoot.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
K
kroo88 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Nice moose, did you pack the horns out too?

Ya, he was just under 70" and got stuck between trees a few times. Luckily the horse that had the horns didn't panic. There was one green horse in the string that caused numerous wrecks. It was a great trip. From one high spot we counted 23 black bears and 2 brown bears all feeding on berries.
Sounds like the Wby UL is a little finicky for the price.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

623 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 79 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,312
Posts18,449,215
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.