Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ok u guys, lets see them sleds! I will post a pic when I get a chance. I ride a 2005 Polaris 800 Switchback, stretched to 151 w/2�paddle,heel clicker in the clutch, v-force reeds ,a great sounding (not) overly loud can blush, 2� riser, powder pro ski�s, scratchers and a muff pot and last but not least I have a hitch for pulling my 5� Seglin sled. I got over 5000 miles on this sled and �it� knows how to get me home. My kid (25yo) rides a 2012 RMK pro (snow checked orange) you would think there would nothing to improve on a 12000$ sled but he managed to spend even more $ on mods ! (I guess I can�t complain he spends his money on stuff I can ride 2) grin Better yet> were going to cantwell on this 3 day weekend! cool

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just really got into riding sleds around 2008 though I did have a 92 MX 470 back around '94, even took it to Arctic Man and broke it.

Wife and I both ride 2008 Ski Doo rev Summit 600 HO SDI's with 144" tracks. Wife has changed the plastics on her's to make it look more womanly, added electric start and we put a AEEN can on it to make it sound throaty plus we also added a floating secondary. She also has a Powder Keg tunnel box to keep her makeup and stuff dry. wink

Mine on the other hand has a bunch of stuff done to it. I relocated all the handle bar switches to the gauge pod, moved the steering post forward 2", put an MBRP can on it, freshly rebuilt HPG front shocks, rear drop brackets, vents on both side and knee panels, ported the clutch cover, nordlock washers on the y-pipe, floated the secondary, relocated the rear axle and removed 2 wheels. Just recently I put Mods Skis on it and i'll have a DJ clutch kit coming soon, just ordered a new Sleds Solutions E Series tunnel bag so I have someplace to keep my extra gear. Oh yeah, what sled would be complete without a Hot Pot!! grin

Owning sleds ain't cheap but man are they fun to ride! Will post some pics tomorrow.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by atvalaska
My kid (25yo) rides a 2012 RMK pro (snow checked orange)

I rode a 2011 Pro RMK last weekend. I really hate to say it (I am a Ski-doo guy), but it kinda rocked. Not a ton of snap to it, but I love that chassis.

I blew up my motor this weekend - it wasn't a great day for team Ski-doo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cwh2

S.L.E.D. = Slowly Leaching Every Dollar grin

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I rode a 2011 Pro RMK last weekend. I really hate to say it (I am a Ski-doo guy), but it kinda rocked. Not a ton of snap to it, but I love that chassis.
the power band is in the mid range ... 0 to 4000 feet ... straigth up! this year well'l be at articman once again (12+ years) more good times to come.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

S.L.E.D. = Slowly Leaching Every Dollar grin
lol!! eek

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We're not very hi-tech here at the lake![Linked Image][Linked Image]
We have a couple of 2008 Bravo's and a couple of Polaris's that just keep going,it's hard to justify $10.000 on a new machine!

I tend to use more than enough gun
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Here is my first sled. It was an '02 800 Summit Highmark 151". It had low end snap that would yank your arms out of their sockets, if you weren't paying attention. I miss that power, sometimes.
[Linked Image]

The current ride is an '05 Summit 600 w/ a 144" track. It doesn't have the grunt that the 800 had, but it's much easier on fuel and goes plenty fast enough to keep my novice riding skills entertained. The newer chassis is much easier to ride, but I've avoided riding the newest Ski-Doo offerings. I'm afraid I might need one. grin
[Linked Image]

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's mine sitting in the driveway.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Spring in Petersville.
[Linked Image]

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hard to beat a Tundra for work purpose.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Why so modest Dan?

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Here's my sled, about $600 ago....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dan, that looks like Petersville. Nice shot of Denali in the background.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Maverick940
i rode a herters huskey 440 in the ealry 70's ...then a john derre...in 1985 i moved up to a tundra...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by atvalaska
i rode a herters huskey 440 in the ealry 70's ...then a john derre...in 1985 i moved up to a tundra...

Yeah, they're the cat's meow for work, that's for sure. Love 'em.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's Dan's old tundra lt that I traded for:

[Linked Image]

I finally got into sleds a few weeks ago with a what I figured was a good deal, '96 skandic 500 fan for $400. I figured, hey it runs what could be wrong? Long story short, it has over 10,000 miles on it and the good news is the engine was replaced or re-built fairly reasonably. The bad news started when I pulled the stock track out to swap in a used summit paddle track. The front shock in the skid had a busted spring so was useless, all the bearings in the idlers were shot, driveshaft bearing shot, the driveshaft bearing was replaced at some point and the oil seal in the chain case was knocked loose so no oil in the chaincase. The oil splash ring was put in the wrong way which resulted in it grinding against the snap ring and the bolt wasn't properly torqued so it came loose and the large gear was beat up as well as the inboard half of the chaincase bearing. The jackshaft bearing was pretty much toast.

I did manage to replace all that stuff minus the front shock, added a missing windshield and discovered the carb boots were cracking so got replacements. I'm thinking It's up to $1200 and still needs the seat recovered and a new front bumper. I did go out for a ride on Sunday with the kids, the oldest boy managed to get it stuck twice, first time before I even got the tundra out of the truck. Second time was him not listening to me telling him to stay off the overflow. It's a lesson better learned within a mile of home with temps in the 30's then way out in the boonies with sub zero temps.

I'll get some pics when it's finally all back together. Should be a perfect sled for accessing remote property which is why I got the sleds in the first place. Might also be getting another one sooner than later.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Here's Dan's old tundra lt that I traded for:

[Linked Image]

I finally got into sleds a few weeks ago with a what I figured was a good deal, '96 skandic 500 fan for $400. I figured, hey it runs what could be wrong? Long story short, it has over 10,000 miles on it and the good news is the engine was replaced or re-built fairly reasonably. The bad news started when I pulled the stock track out to swap in a used summit paddle track. The front shock in the skid had a busted spring so was useless, all the bearings in the idlers were shot, driveshaft bearing shot, the driveshaft bearing was replaced at some point and the oil seal in the chain case was knocked loose so no oil in the chaincase. The oil splash ring was put in the wrong way which resulted in it grinding against the snap ring and the bolt wasn't properly torqued so it came loose and the large gear was beat up as well as the inboard half of the chaincase bearing. The jackshaft bearing was pretty much toast.

I did manage to replace all that stuff minus the front shock, added a missing windshield and discovered the carb boots were cracking so got replacements. I'm thinking It's up to $1200 and still needs the seat recovered and a new front bumper. I did go out for a ride on Sunday with the kids, the oldest boy managed to get it stuck twice, first time before I even got the tundra out of the truck. Second time was him not listening to me telling him to stay off the overflow. It's a lesson better learned within a mile of home with temps in the 30's then way out in the boonies with sub zero temps.

I'll get some pics when it's finally all back together. Should be a perfect sled for accessing remote property which is why I got the sleds in the first place. Might also be getting another one sooner than later.

Overflow can be a royal pain-in-the-ass. I've gone through a few times. One time ended up thigh-deep in the stuff at -40 something. Wasn't fun. I was a long way from the cabin. It's a risky business.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What year Summit did that track come off of?

You'll need to make sure your drivers will work, that you have sufficient clearance for those 2 1/4" paddles and your rails (136) need to be extended to fit whatever length track your putting on it.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure on the year, but they are 1 1/2" paddles. The pitch is correct and the driver works. The skandic has a 136" skid so the 136" track fit fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Overflow can be a royal pain-in-the-ass. I've gone through a few times. One time ended up thigh-deep in the stuff at -40 something. Wasn't fun. I was a long way from the cabin. It's a risky business.

Fortunately it was only as deep as my boots, so wet feet and socks. But man, that nice light tundra get's aweful heavy when the track is packed full of slush.

My boy managed to get across the overflow and into nice deep wet snow before getting stuck the second time. He saw some open water and wisely shut the machine down. After walking through the overflow and digging the snow I was able to get the nose and tracked moved enough to climb out of the hole he parked it in and powered back across the overflow. He got to walk back laugh

I found a good thread on what to do when dealing with a stuck in overflow situation:

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=448197

I need to add a few items into the don't leave the trailhead without it kit.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,979 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,659
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.